Sign in to follow this  
Ace Newman

Myers Park 2020 season is looking good.

Rate this topic

I don't know how football is going to be affected this year but Myers Park is making some moves this year I'm really liking that Coach Chadwick added some toughness to their nonconference part of schedule even putting aside a lopsided rivalry with South Mecklenburg to get some real teams to play.  This will get us ready for the playoffs and a better seed. I don't know the exact order yet but far as I know the first game we play Mallard Creek and we play at home against Hough and a Texas private school where Deion Sanders son is a star QB. The best game yet will be at Bank of America Stadium against Rock Hill South Pointe Jadeveon Clowney graduated from there and they won a few state titles in the past.  Myers Park JV  went undefeated and I don't see no reason why we can't have a good team this year yes we lose another trio of receivers (Muhammad Rooks and Flip) but they can be replaced I'm also hoping the defense will take it to another level this year.  As far as Drake Maye goes this will be his last chance to get to the state championship as he graduates early. But time will tell starting if football is even a go.

• Like 2

No defense. Can’t run the ball against stiff competition. They won’t win their  conference. 50/50 chance if non-conference games are even  played IMO.

48 minutes ago, work7 said:

No defense. Can’t run the ball against stiff competition. They won’t win their  conference. 50/50 chance if non-conference games are even  played IMO.

Butler will b a lot better next yr. Maybe not the butler of old but better. They will take the conference back in 2 yrs.

6 hours ago, 704cougarsdad said:

Butler will b a lot better next yr. Maybe not the butler of old but better. They will take the conference back in 2 yrs.

Butler’s also brought in coaches with championship pedigrees as well. That’s going to improve that team as well. 

• Like 1

It's a matter of time b4 Hales gets his opportunity. His best chance was 2016 and I admit we stole that game along with his playoff suspension. Him along with Till I think it's a matter of time b4 each will get a chance.

13 hours ago, work7 said:

One thing you should know about me  is even while I'm loyal to a team I call out their weakness and screwups. At the end of the day though they're just teenagers they gonna mess up its inevitable.  As far as the defense goes they arent terrible by any means they just not on the level of a Vance.  I always addressed the run defense I saw for myself how much damage Caleb Hood did to us on the ground that third round playoff game.  I saw it a mile away before the playoffs even started when Independence put 21 points from running.   And the whole game is centered around Drake Maye thats why Tim and Jacob Newman barely get touches I spoke to their dad personally at one of the games about that so yeah I hope the run game improves its much needed especially with this tough nonconference slate.

56 minutes ago, Ace Newman said:

One thing you should know about me  is even while I'm loyal to a team I call out their weakness and screwups. At the end of the day though they're just teenagers they gonna mess up its inevitable.  As far as the defense goes they arent terrible by any means they just not on the level of a Vance.  I always addressed the run defense I saw for myself how much damage Caleb Hood did to us on the ground that third round playoff game.  I saw it a mile away beore the playoffs even started when Independence put 21 points from running.   And the whole game is centered around Drake Maye thats why Tim and Jacob Newman barely get touches I spoke to their dad personally at one of the games about that so yeah I hope the run game improves its much neede especially with this tough nonconference slate.

The emphasis of Myers Park throwing on every down, and not establishing a run game has been their downfall the last 2 years. Along with having a good defense, but not elite. The State Championship teams in NC have had some very special defenses. Offense win games and Defense wins Championships.  Myers Park loosing one of their top defensive guys to Hough, and some of their depth to Vance. It will be interesting to see how they adjust on defense. Their offense line is more seasoned, but will they be able to protect Maye against the elite programs they’ll be playing? You can play these elite programs to prepare you for a deep run in the playoffs, but if you don’t have enough Jimmy & Joes? Oh well!

1 hour ago, work7 said:

The emphasis of Myers Park throwing on every down, and not establishing a run game has been their downfall the last 2 years. Along with having a good defense, but not elite. The State Championship teams in NC have had some very special defenses. Offense win games and Defense wins Championships.  Myers Park loosing one of their top defensive guys to Hough, and some of their depth to Vance. It will be interesting to see how they adjust on defense. Their offense line is more seasoned, but will they be able to protect Maye against the elite programs they’ll be playing? You can play these elite programs to prepare you for a deep run in the playoffs, but if you don’t have enough Jimmy & Joes? Oh well!

Agreed. Out of all those games Im more concerned about Hough they gonna want to beat us bad at home like we did to them last season 😁

13 hours ago, 704cougarsdad said:

So basically MP is on borrowed time in the Southwestern 4A 😄 

6 hours ago, 704cougarsdad said:

It's a matter of time b4 Hales gets his opportunity. His best chance was 2016 and I admit we stole that game along with his playoff suspension. Him along with Till I think it's a matter of time b4 each will get a chance.

Hales already has one ring as a HC in 2012. He was also the OC in 2009 and 2010 but those were Newsome Teams.

That 2016 game was one for the books. Butler probably wins if they had Hales on the sideline but oh well. Ifedi, the Cureton cousins, Christian Dixon...it was some great players on the field that night!

• Like 1

MP can easily start 1-3 if the season starts on time. I also see a toss up with Butler as I see Butler being better this year, although they have some glaring holes in their roster also at some positions. I can see MP beating Hough as Hough never truly plays to their advertised talent level in my opinion. Kudos to MP though for challenging their kids. Creek, trinity Christian, south pointe, Hough, Rocky River, and Butler in your first 7 out of 8 games is one of the most brutal schedules I have seen in CMS. Even Rocky River is no slouch from what I see they have 5-6 lineman that are huge and will play in college.

41 minutes ago, Ace Newman said:

Agreed. Out of all those games Im more concerned about Hough they gonna want to beat us bad at home like we did to them last season 😁

I had a college Coach tell me, Hough has 17 FBS kids on the roster now....Same old Hough. The dorms are full to capacity. 😂 They don’t even attempt to hide it, anymore......smh!

• Haha 1

Jenkins is another guy that ha to get called out. How do you have so many D1 talent and all u have to show is a regional final 2 yrs ago. It's like they only have 1 or 2 games circled on the calendar and that's it. But the head coach is jus the puppet for the AD so. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

lol Hough is Toguchi's team. Hough wont win big becauset hey use the same formula in go out and transfer in the best talent they can find. All schools get transfers but you have to have some type of base to grow from. Year after year of building off transfers makes for the same story yearly. Regular;ar season success, one good regular season win and disappointment in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J-Heat1110 said:

lol Hough is Toguchi's team. Hough wont win big becauset hey use the same formula in go out and transfer in the best talent they can find. All schools get transfers but you have to have some type of base to grow from. Year after year of building off transfers makes for the same story yearly. Regular;ar season success, one good regular season win and disappointment in the playoffs. 

The Calipari Method. Hough Wildcats. 

• Like 1

Myers Park is missing one thing. Physicality. 

Butler- Mallard Creek- Wake Forest-Vance all played the game with a tougher edge. Its the one thing MP is missing. 

I believe some of that has been due to the weaker schedule. Some of that is the design of the offense, 70-30 pass. I also think it is a cultural thing as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When u criticize something and dont coattail ride ur considered a "hater". Well hell I criticized my own Vance team during the season last yr..especially after the Hough loss.....guess I'm a Vance hater huh?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wrigley said:

Myers Park is missing one thing. Physicality. 

Butler- Mallard Creek- Wake Forest-Vance all played the game with a tougher edge. Its the one thing MP is missing. 

I believe some of that has been due to the weaker schedule. Some of that is the design of the offense, 70-30 pass. I also think it is a cultural thing as well.

And add on top of that coaching. If u see ur team is having issues executing on defense u have to switch things up on offense to protect the defense.. run the ball..throw in short passes which can equal the run game to run time off and protect the defense. Back 2 back yrs they've had a double digit lead and loss. Gotta question the coaching over there.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, J-Heat1110 said:

And to piggy back off Houghs coaching...let's go back to 2 yrs ago during Bonner Stewart's last yr...they had 2 all state track guys in the back field...(Pryor and Bonner Stewart). How in the hell dont u jus have a run based offense using read option with both of them..moving the pocket and getting Stewart out in open spac, but they turned the kid into a pocket passer. Not saying the kid cant throw but seen him get benched in a damn 7v7 so how u dont use what he does best and play off that? Hough is another team where coaching is holding them back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 704cougarsdad said:

And add on top of that coaching. If u see ur team is having issues executing on defense u have to switch things up on offense to protect the defense.. run the ball..throw in short passes which can equal the run game to run time off and protect the defense. Back 2 back yrs they've had a double digit lead and loss. Gotta question the coaching over there.

I will defend Chadwick as it is very hard to design an offense around maybe the best pure HS arm in the country and then try and also be physical as well. We found out that the hard way at MC last year. Once we went pure Air Raid we just never could flip back and run power. I believe its a mentality and its tough to get HS Olineman who pass block 70% of the time to then turn and start moving people. Two different skill sets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wrigley said:

I will defend Chadwick as it is very hard to design an offense around maybe the best pure HS arm in the country and then try and also be physical as well. We found out that the hard way at MC last year. Once we went pure Air Raid we just never could flip back and run power. I believe its a mentality and its tough to get HS Olineman who pass block 70% of the time to then turn and start moving people. Two different skill sets.

Maybe when they practice 4 times a week during the season they should install some run in there? They play football that most kids play madden, just pure air raid. There’s a famous basketball saying: “live by the 3, you die by the 3”

13 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

Tbh I said that the 1st time we played yall especially that 1st half "Creek didnt look like creek". I've never seen us more physical than yall but we were...1st half wise anyways. I know Hellams is air raid coach but with the size yall have or had u gotta run the ball. With all this 7v7 it's nice to have a QB to throw the rock around but I'll always say to go deep in the playoffs u gotta b able to run the ball and play sound defense. Jus talking about creek the last time yall won the ship it was a run based offense. I'm serious that yr yall only threw the ball ONCE vs us...jus flat out mauled us up front running the ball with Thad Moss and company. 

• Like 1

Having coached against MPs JV squad a year ago I did not walk away impressed. We fumbled twice and they cashed in. Their QB made really no throws in the pocket, he made all his big throws on the run. They had talent don't get me wrong, but not to the level that they've had on varsity last few years. 

We also played that game with officials who told us they don't have to blow a whistle to end the play so *shrug* At least MP is playing tough teams and not dodging, we'll find out real quick how good they are this season. 

9 hours ago, 704cougarsdad said:

Tbh I said that the 1st time we played yall especially that 1st half "Creek didnt look like creek". I've never seen us more physical than yall but we were...1st half wise anyways. I know Hellams is air raid coach but with the size yall have or had u gotta run the ball. With all this 7v7 it's nice to have a QB to throw the rock around but I'll always say to go deep in the playoffs u gotta b able to run the ball and play sound defense. Jus talking about creek the last time yall won the ship it was a run based offense. I'm serious that yr yall only threw the ball ONCE vs us...jus flat out mauled us up front running the ball with Thad Moss and company. 

Well, to be fair I think most MC fans felt like 2017 we struggled to get any offense going. 2018 they brought in Mcfadden and it got better but self destructed against Hough. They brlng in Hellams and at times they looked unstoppable.  First Vance game Metcalf beat Lowery on one play and it was the difference. 2nd game Grier made about 3 great plays on that last series and that was the ballgame. Vance and MC were by far the best two teams in the state. One or two plays was the difference. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

Well, to be fair I think most MC fans felt like 2017 we struggled to get any offense going. 2018 they brought in Mcfadden and it got better but self destructed against Hough. They brlng in Hellams and at times they looked unstoppable.  First Vance game Metcalf beat Lowery on one play and it was the difference. 2nd game Grier made about 3 great plays on that last series and that was the ballgame. Vance and MC were by far the best two teams in the state. One or two plays was the difference. 

It's well known last yr....the state championship happened that night. Heavyweight championship fight.

2 hours ago, Catholic said:

Having coached against MPs JV squad a year ago I did not walk away impressed. We fumbled twice and they cashed in. Their QB made really no throws in the pocket, he made all his big throws on the run. They had talent don't get me wrong, but not to the level that they've had on varsity last few years. 

We also played that game with officials who told us they don't have to blow a whistle to end the play so *shrug* At least MP is playing tough teams and not dodging, we'll find out real quick how good they are this season. 

Goes to show how much recruiting players to varsity and not developing on JV may hurt the program in the future. 

17 hours ago, 704cougarsdad said:

I still think 18 Regional game vs Vance was a tougher L after the first quarter Drake Maye was being announced every other play as being under pressure, sacked, or intercepted.  The Richmond L last year was a combination of things just not going our way after they pulled a Vance.  Jacob Newman might not be on the level of a Will Shipley (Weddington) but MP has to run the ball more now that we got this brutal schedule. I do agree Chadwick does make some questionable playcalls I hope he realizes whats at stake this year if football is a go but I can guarantee hes gonna stick to #10 until he's off to UNC.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ace Newman said:

I still think 18 Regional game vs Vance was a tougher L after the first quarter Drake Maye was being announced every other play as being under pressure, sacked, or intercepted.  The Richmond L last year was a combination of things just not going our way after they pulled a Vance.  Jacob Newman might not be on the level of a Will Shipley (Weddington) but MP has to run the ball more now that we got this brutal schedule. I do agree Chadwick does make some questionable playcalls I hope he realizes whats at stake this year if football is a go but I can guarantee hes gonna stick to #10 until he's off to UNC.  

Great teams will take away ur strengths and talent only can get you so far. I say after rd 2 of the playoffs coaching takes over the further u go in the playoffs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RaiderDebater said:

Goes to show how much recruiting players to varsity and not developing on JV may hurt the program in the future. 

They have good talent on JV don't get me wrong, but just not on the level of their varsity these last few years which in all fairness their talent on varsity has been through the roof. Transfers do help quite a bit. 

4 hours ago, KoKie34 said:

Undefeated

Undefeated, congrats. Lots of JV programs go undefeated. I coached against them. I said what I said. Good and talented, but not great. 

37 minutes ago, Catholic said:

Undefeated, congrats. Lots of JV programs go undefeated. I coached against them. I said what I said. Good and talented, but not great. 

People cant take constructive criticism 

Sign in to follow this