Sign in to follow this  
FHS1985 returns

Schools that have never won a state championship (in a team sport)

How many schools do you know of that have never won a state championship in a team sport? Last Year Mountain Heritage won in girl's basketball and this year Avery won the duals in Wrestling, so some schools have recently gotten rid of this particular albatross.  To be fair ignore individual state champions (individuals who win it all in something like Tennis, Track or Wrestling) and limit your answers to schools that have been open for at least 10 years because it takes some time to build up a program.  Here in Burke County three of the four schools have never won a state championship in a team sport-East Burke, Draughn and Patton.  In fairness Patton has played for a championship, in baseball in 2010, and Draughn opened in 2009.  However, East Burke, which opened in 1974, has never been a a state championship contest.

I feel like Bartlett Yancey High School (only high school in Caswell County) hasn’t won any state championships.  I’ve been in their gym once and they barely even have any conference banners hanging.

Can anyone confirm?

8 hours ago, PrepFanNC said:

I feel like Bartlett Yancey High School (only high school in Caswell County) hasn’t won any state championships.  I’ve been in their gym once and they barely even have any conference banners hanging.

Can anyone confirm?

I can distinctly remember being at a state championship basketball game and the Bartlett-Yancey fans rocking the gym with their “B Y B U C (pause) S!” chant.  I can’t remember if they won or not, but they had great community support.

On 4/20/2020 at 4:33 PM, FHS1985 returns said:

How many schools do you know of that have never won a state championship in a team sport? Last Year Mountain Heritage won in girl's basketball and this year Avery won the duals in Wrestling, so some schools have recently gotten rid of this particular albatross.  To be fair ignore individual state champions (individuals who win it all in something like Tennis, Track or Wrestling) and limit your answers to schools that have been open for at least 10 years because it takes some time to build up a program.  Here in Burke County three of the four schools have never won a state championship in a team sport-East Burke, Draughn and Patton.  In fairness Patton has played for a championship, in baseball in 2010, and Draughn opened in 2009.  However, East Burke, which opened in 1974, has never been a a state championship contest.

Not positive but, I think EB may have won state in track when Shatley was there. 

1 hour ago, DEER0526 said:

Not positive but, I think EB may have won state in track when Shatley was there. 

No- Shatley was a shot put state champ (they have pictures of some individual state champs in their gym), but EB was not team state champions.

12 hours ago, FHS1985 returns said:

I can distinctly remember being at a state championship basketball game and the Bartlett-Yancey fans rocking the gym with their “B Y B U C (pause) S!” chant.  I can’t remember if they won or not, but they had great community support.

You are correct.  Bartlett Yancey won in boy’s basketball in 1988.  3A.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, LarryRandolph said:

Northwood in Pittsboro has never won a team sport title that I know of. 

I don't recall Northwood winning a state team title in any sport ...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RD28327 said:

I don't recall Northwood winning a state team title in any sport ...

Surprisingly, 

Chatham Central is the school in Chatham County with the most team sports state titles.

4 in womens basketball, 3 baseball for starters.

Jordan Matthews has a mens basketball and a womens basketball. 

21 hours ago, LarryRandolph said:

Surprisingly, 

Chatham Central is the school in Chatham County with the most team sports state titles.

4 in womens basketball, 3 baseball for starters.

Jordan Matthews has a mens basketball and a womens basketball. 

Add a dual team wrestling championship for Chatham Central in 2005.

Sign in to follow this