Sign in to follow this  
Vik-Val 86

Mascot name change

Rate this topic

What are all the Mascot name change we seen down through the years. I will use this one as an example. West Meck use to be the Indians. Now they are the Hawks. 

A lot of schools were once Rebels.

South Stanly.  Rebels now Rebel Bulls.

Monroe.  Rebels now Redhawks.

South Rowan.  Rebels now Raiders.

• Like 1

Original Crest High in Boiling Springs was the Falcons. After consolidation of different smaller schools and moving to the new school they became the Chargers. 

• Like 1

Ralph L. Fike (Wilson,NC) Could be the only triple changer. Opened as Cyclones then changed to Titans and then changed in 70s- current Golden Demons my mom was a 70s graduate.

North Meck (Huntersville,NC) Opened as Rebels and then changed to Vikings.  

Davie County (Mocksville,NC) Opened as ??? I forgot but they changed mascots too...the current is War Eagles

• Like 1

It appears that the majority of the changes mentioned above were done due to political correctness.  I'm just an old white guy so I'm sure I have a different take than young folks.  

We all have a right to be offended.  At the same time I think being offended is a choice.  When people use my Lord's name in vane, I am offended.  I don't get being offended by statues, flags or mascots. I've never been a black guy or a Native American, so I don't have that perspective  I'm not saying I'm right and others are wrong.  In just telling you how I see things.  

• Like 3

Byrnes (SC) is Rebels but they have taken away the Confederacy “theme” and kind of made a “we do things different” type of thing.

• Like 2

South Rowan use to be the Landis Yellow Jackets. Then in fall of 1961 they became South Rowan Rebels when they built the new school. Which they would change their name later in the late 60’s to Raiders. 

58 minutes ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

South Rowan use to be the Landis Yellow Jackets. Then in fall of 1961 they became South Rowan Rebels when they built the new school. Which they would change their name later in the late 60’s to Raiders. 

Landis Yellow Jackets and the China Grove Red Devils .( I think that was their name Chris can correct me if I'm wrong) Merge together in 61 to form South Rowan.

• Like 2

In 1955 the Swannanoa High School WARriors and the Black Mountain High School Dark HORSES combined to make the Charles D. Owen High School Warhorses

• Like 2

South Mecklenburg while still being the Sabres originally were the Southern Sabres as Confederate cavalry sabres, but transitioned to Sabre tooth tigers. 

• Like 1

West Meck used to be the Indians now the Hawks

Catholic was the Yellow Jackets until late 1950s when they became the Cougars I think. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Owen Stampede said:

In 1955 the Swannanoa High School WARriors and the Black Mountain High School Dark HORSES  to make the Charles D. Owen High School Warhorses

I always thought the Warhorses was just a better word for Donkeys.ha.ha. lm only messing with Owen Stampede,actually  Warhorses to me is one of the coolest mascot names in sports .I've always had a lot of respect for Owen.The best football game I  evertime played in was my junior year 1982

, which was the Fall of 1981,we went to Owen and won 20 to 16 .up to that game Mountain Heritage was 0 and 7 vs Owen we then lost for 11 strait years to the Warhorses till 1993 when my Cougars and the Warhorses met in the last game of the season to decide the conference championship we won 19 to 10 .that win gave Heritage our first undefeated regular season in school history. Short of it is we started out 2 and 18 vs Owen.If I'm not mistaken Owen and Heritage have played ever year since 1975 the first year Heritage fielded a team.

• Like 1

Stephens County, GA is the Indians also. Ewrin's girls were the Squaws and changed to the Lady Warriors in the early 90's I think it was.

• Like 1

An interesting tidbit of history concerning changing mascot names. In the late 1920's Maiden High school, like many schools, had just begin playing football, and were known as the Red Raiders. Most Maiden fans do not look at football in their history books before 1953 when a new school was built in town taking the name of Maiden High. They are now known as the Maiden Blue Devils.

Up the road about 8 miles is Newton-Conover High School. In the late 1920's they were known as the Newton Blue Devils. Coach Dick Gurley had ordered new uniforms for the team and when they arrived, the uniforms were red. Some say he ordered them that color and then others say it was a mistake on the vendor's part: however they kept the uniforms and changed their name to the Newton Red Devils.

Two rival schools that now sport Blue and Red as their primary school colors that once sported those colors as their own.

• Like 2

I could be wrong, but wasn't Swain County (or one of the schools that became Swain County) called the Ridgerunners at some point?

• Like 2

In 1969, Reidsville went from being the Golden Lions to the Rams. This was due to the consolidation of two high schools in Reidsviile at the time.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 68 Lion said:

In 1969, Reidsville went from being the Golden Lions to the Rams. This was due to the consolidation of two high schools in Reidsviile at the time.

Interesting...

On 4/9/2020 at 9:42 AM, LarryRandolph said:

Jordan-Matthews went from Phantoms to Jets in the 70s

Why the change?  Both are good names!

One of the best us Rocky Mount HS.  When integration came the Blackbirds and Lions combined to become the Gryphons

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2020 at 1:44 PM, 68 Lion said:

So you can change but still keep your state titles. So how many titles does Smoky mtn have?

On 4/13/2020 at 1:44 PM, 68 Lion said:

The "Black" high school moved into Reidsville High School. Nothing changed except the number of students at the time. Same buildings, same trophy case as today. To make everyone happy, they voted on a new mascot. Nothing wrong with that.

Robbinsville changed mascots also when we consolidated. Titles after name change should be separate from titles before. Just my opinion 

1 hour ago, Knights said:

Robbinsville changed mascots also when we consolidated. Titles after name change should be separate from titles before. Just my opinion 

The consolidation was of Mountain View and Stecoah into Robbinsville in the late 70's/early 80's, right?    What was the mascot before then?     I went to ASU in the mid 70's with two twin brothers from Robbinsville, and as I remembered it, they were the Black Knights before that consolidation.

16 hours ago, btango said:

Why the change?  Both are good names!

Integration.  Many thought the Phantom looked a little too much like a Klansman. 

My uncle was a student at JM during that time. My mother came along after the change. 

B Tango I was just scrolling down and was about to add Rocky Mount blackbirds until I saw your post you got that one lol so I will add one of Rocky Mounts past rivals.  

J H Rose (Greenville,NC)  I have lot of family on my dad side that graduated from there. They had a merger similar to Rocky Mount.  The old Greenville High and Eppes High merged and combined The Rams and Panther mascots and you get the Rampants.

Asheville High (it was also known as Lee Edwards for a time too)  was once the Maroons or Maroon Devils.  Some out of town newspaper accounts from the 20's referred to them as mountaineers but that had more to do with their location relative to Charlotte or the Triad than their mascot.  The yearbook was known as The Hillbilly for some time.

wasn't Stecoah the Tornadoes??

Smoky has a grand total of Zero titles. Sylva on the other hand has 6 if you count them the right way. Three each before and after the "modern era."

Sign in to follow this