Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Vik-Val 86

High school football stadiums

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Just a throw in topic since things are slow now. What does anyone think about these big what I call Mega Stadiums like you see in Texas. I’ve seen photos like Allen Texas and some others which looks like college stadiums. In one sense it would be neat to have an experience to go see games at these stadiums. But I will have to say some of the best experience is seeing games at smaller stadiums with over flowing crowds and the atmosphere to go with it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

High School Football is a religion in Texas.  I don't know how big some of those schools are but I'd say way to big.   The three or four largest schools in NC together probably couldn't fill the stadiums your talking about.   I for one am glad.   I would never want to see high schools in NC get that big or as political as I imagine it is down there.   

I've been to Clemson and I've been to Gardner-Webb and a lot of schools in-between size wise.   For my money I would rather go watch the small schools play.   Easier in and out, easier to concessions and restrooms.   Of course I'm biased, I'm a GWU graduate.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlike what we typically see here in the Carolinas, local governments and school systems invest heavily in high school football, and because of this, the academics and other athletic programs thrive.  They use football as the business that it should be, and allow it to finance all other programs, both academically and athletically in the school.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But there are some very nice stadiums in NC  here are some of my favorite that I have coached in/at 

Lincolnton

Richmond County

Grimsley

Hickory

Asheville

AC Renyolds

Watauga  Old and New

HP Central

New Bern

Ashbrook

RS Central

TC Roberson

Wake Forest 

Deaton Thompson  Parkland RJR 

South Point

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great topic.  I have been to a lot of stadiums from east to west in NC.  In my opinion the atmosphere, setting, and stadium of Hibriten was special.  As for just being present at a game, the rivalry of Richmond v/s Scotland is hard to beat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my Top 55. 

Asheville

Cherokee

High Point's Simeon Stadium

Grimsley

Shelby

Burlington Williams

South Point

Kannapolis Brown

Lincolnton

A.C. Reynolds

Kings Mountain

Brevard

Pisgah

McDowell

Northern Durham

Tuscola

Richmond

Scotland

Maiden

 

Newton-Conover

Burns

Crest

Swain County

Wake Forest

Myers Park

Concord

Ashbrook

Avery County

South Rowan

Douglas Byrd

Stuart Cramer

East Burke

Owen

Morganton Freedom

Mooresville

Hibriten

Franklin

Hoke County

Jacksonville

Lee County

Mitchell

Mount Pleasant

New Hanover

Smoky Mountain

Statesville

Thomasville

Raleigh Sanderson

West Caldwell

Monroe

Hickory

 

Providence

 

 

Randleman

Deaton-Thompson (Winston-Salem)

Raleigh Athens Drive

Greensboro Page

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2020 at 3:35 PM, Vik-Val 86 said:

Just a throw in topic since things are slow now. What does anyone think about these big what I call Mega Stadiums like you see in Texas. I’ve seen photos like Allen Texas and some others which looks like college stadiums. In one sense it would be neat to have an experience to go see games at these stadiums. But I will have to say some of the best experience is seeing games at smaller stadiums with over flowing crowds and the atmosphere to go with it. 

I got the chance to attend a game at Legacy Stadium in Katy, TX last year.  The stadium itself is phenomenal, but what makes the "experience" is the scale of everything.  The band for both teams at the game I attended was like something you would see at a Power 5 school.  I'm talking 150+ in the band alone, not including dancing girls and other groups in the halftime show.  Each band also had AMAZING props.  Just managing everything with the band would be a full time position.  Also, everything is over the top.  For example, one team had a blow up tunnel with a smoke machine.  They set up the tunnel and the smoke machine at the beginning of the game AND after half-time.  It is a production from start to finish.

That being said, I attended at couple of games at Richmond County last year and the environment that they have crated with the sound system, lights, fireworks, and fan excitement is the best high school football environment that I've ever witnessed. That is what high school football is supposed to be.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2020 at 12:22 PM, ramheadbut said:

I must say that is a good venue and tough place to play in.  The crowd is right on top of you 

All correct points. Love that there is no track. Just puzzling that there is a top 55 stadiums or what have you and Catholic doesn't make the list despite being routinely in the top 5-10 stadiums in the state. Just for reference, I am not saying Keffer is the best stadium in the state, but certainly top 55. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2020 at 10:05 PM, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

Rocky Mount high school has a beautiful stadium with massive visitor bleachers. 

Major difference having a actual home field on campus I remember the old RMSH on Tillery St. The first time i came was when Hunt had away game and I didn't know they played games at the athletic complex.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr Chris Hughes, it appears that you have rubbed my friend Catholic the wrong way.  For a coach for a team that wins often, wins big and wins championships he seems to get steamed when people question Catholic High School and now, when they don't get mentioned in a list.  Some people you just can't please.🤣😂🤣😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Mr Chris Hughes, it appears that you have rubbed my friend Catholic the wrong way.  For a coach for a team that wins often, wins big and wins championships he seems to get steamed when people question Catholic High School and now, when they don't get mentioned in a list.  Some people you just can't please.🤣😂🤣😂

You have us rolling, so funny you are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for saying so. That was of course, my intention. I'm not sure why but I do enjoy messing with you. I hope you don't take me seriously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notice that most of these stadiums are west of I-95. In general the facilities are not as great in the eastern part of the state. Havelock has a decent stadium, and New Hanover, but generally the stadiums in the East are nothing to write home about. My kids went to West Carteret, and it is a pretty basic and rather small stadium. One of the Assistant Coaches that came down from Ohio a few years ago to coach at West Carteret saw the stadium for the first time and said, "This is a nice JV stadium, where's the varsity stadium?". When told that it WAS the varsity, "he just shook his head and smiled". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ctccbc said:

Notice that most of these stadiums are west of I-95. In general the facilities are not as great in the eastern part of the state. Havelock has a decent stadium, and New Hanover, but generally the stadiums in the East are nothing to write home about. My kids went to West Carteret, and it is a pretty basic and rather small stadium. One of the Assistant Coaches that came down from Ohio a few years ago to coach at West Carteret saw the stadium for the first time and said, "This is a nice JV stadium, where's the varsity stadium?". When told that it WAS the varsity, "he just shook his head and smiled". 

Not just west of I-95, over half of those Chris Hughes posted above are west of I-77.  You want the best stadiums in the state they are in the west.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×