Sign in to follow this  
Vik-Val 86

Best defense

Rate this topic

With everything being at a stand still with sports, I thought I would start a topic. What  team do you pull for who had the best defense and what year. Since I pull for South Iredell, I would have to go back to 1989 when they only gave up 46 points in the regular season. But they would go on to lose to AL Brown in the 1st rd of the 3A playoffs 20-12. AL Brown would go on to win the State Championship that year. 

• Like 1

I would have say that 89 A.L. Brown defense was one of top defense they have had. Not sure of the numbers but it was pretty strong.

• Like 1

I pull for AC Reynolds so our 2 best defenses were very similar

1999     4A State Champs

15-1 Record

gave up 77 pts.  4.8 per game

9 shutouts including 3 in the playoffs

Lost in 3rd round to East Meck. 27-21

gave up 54 pts.  4.2 per game

10 shutouts

• Like 2

As an alumni of Albemarle High, and a former assistant coach, I would say that the "Oak Tree" 6-2 defense was incredible. Along with a high powered offense, the defense put up a number of shutouts from 2001 - 2003, winning three straight state 1-AA state titles!

• Like 2

Charlotte Catholic

2018 allowed  6.88 per game  3A State Champions

1984 allowed 7.5  per game  2A Div II  State Champions

• Like 1

2014 4A State Champion New Bern Bears. 

Most offensive TD's given up in one game was 2. 

The score at halftime in the 4A East Title game against then 13-0 Hoggard, was 42-0. 

They held Charlotte Catholic, to I believe, -16 yards in the first half of the 4A Title Game. 

Gave up 8 points a game and didn't even play future 1st round draft pick, Mike Hughes, on D. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CoachK71 said:

As an alumni of Albemarle High, and a former assistant coach, I would say that the "Oak Tree" 6-2 defense was incredible. Along with a high powered offense, the defense put up a number of shutouts from 2001 - 2003, winning three straight state 1-AA state titles!

Yes.... Agree. I had to watch the Warriors against these teams. West Montgomery had a few damn good defensive teams as well. 1990's team was damn strong. Keep in mind that both Albemarle and West Montgomery benefited from playing in quite possibly the weakest conference in the entire State! Not taking away from the players by no means, but you play Denton/South Davidson, Chatham Central, North Moore every year you put up impressive numbers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ladge said:

Charlotte Catholic

2018 allowed  6.88 per game  3A State Champions

1984 allowed 7.5  per game  2A Div II  State Champions

2017 and 2015 gotta be in there too. 

2017 - gave up 9.6 PPG. Held an explosive Charlotte Christian offense to just 14 points missing their two best defensive players. Held Havelock to 14 points in title game when they came in scoring over 50 PPG. 

2015 - gave up 8.9 PPG. Shutout Charlotte Christian and 4 other teams. Held Dudley to 8pts on the road and held JH Rose to 13 offensive points when they came in averaging well over 50 PPG. 

• Like 2

2014 Crest Chargers 16-0

3A state champs gave up 5 ppg with 6 shut outs. Held much talked about Havelock offense to 3 points in championship game. One of the fastest defenses I have seen.

1994 Crest Chargers 15-0

4A state champs before subdivided playoffs. Gave up 6 ppg. Was hard hitting and would just destroy guys on tackles. Would literally see guys like LB Tim Ramseur knock out mouth pieces when they hit guys.

Fun conversation when talking about which of these defenses were the best in Crest history. 14 was the more athletic but the 94 team was nasty with a nose for the ball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catholic said:

2017 and 2015 gotta be in there too. 

2017 - gave up 9.6 PPG. Held an explosive Charlotte Christian offense to just 14 points missing their two best defensive players. Held Havelock to 14 points in title game when they came in scoring over 50 PPG. 

2015 - gave up 8.9 PPG. Shutout Charlotte Christian and 4 other teams. Held Dudley to 8pts on the road and held JH Rose to 13 offensive points when they came in averaging well over 50 PPG. 

Catholic beat West Montgomery in 1990 in the playoffs, first round, with a 2 point conversion on a end around in OT. Otto was one of the best coaches ever. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CoachK71 said:

Loved watching those Albemarle teams play but not sure I would ever categorize them as great defensively.

1964 Ridgeview High School in Hickory, NC

Scored 446 points to go undefeated

Opponents never scored a single point- big fat 0.

In the title game with Hamlett they won 16-0.

Coach was Sam Davis Sr.- I worked with Davis for 2 years and he scared the hell out of me as a kid. He was all business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SOUTH   POINT

After starting the season 2-3 the Red Raiders found their stride. They not only ended up winning the 3A State Title.  The final nine games of the season the team gave up a total of 22 points including 5 shutouts.  I think I heard they missed tying the state record for points allowed in the playoffs by 1 point.  We had some fun that year.  😁

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WM1977 said:

Catholic beat West Montgomery in 1990 in the playoffs, first round, with a 2 point conversion on a end around in OT. Otto was one of the best coaches ever. 

@Ladge, an end around. Bet it was crossbuck counter, not sure I see Belk/Oddo running a jet sweep there. Wonder if film of that game is anywhere. I know there is some older film on youtube, but only one game from the mid 80s. 

A high octane offense that scores 40 plus putting up points quick makes it tougher for their defense by putting them on the field quicker and more often.  Also, the quick score differential usually brings in the subs sooner.  Must look at that but it is hard to size up.  Also, a team with a good offense and a great D can run into another great D with an all time great O, Mallard Creek v Butler In 2012.

The spread offense and passing game have changed the game the last dozen or so years.  A great D in the 1980’s or 1990’s may be outmatched today.  Several Mallard Creek defenses were awesome although always thought they were susceptible to the pass.

1988 Richmond 

1994 Crest 

1995 West Charlotte

2004 Indy

2012 Butler 

2017 Wake Forest

2019 Vance

• Like 3

2017 Tarboro Vikings. Gave up 4.40 points per game, had 34 sacks, 16 interceptions, and 22 forced fumble recoveries. I have never seen a defensive line manhandle so many offenses like that defense did. 

• Like 1

Don't know what the answer is to the question, but the team must be 2010 or later. You cannot compare great defenses of the 90's to what guys are seeing from the offenses of today. Not to mention rule changes, etc. 

Statistically, there may be an older defense that looks the best on paper, but it's a different game in terms of what Defenses have to deal with now. 

• Like 3

Would agree with 2014 Crest. That Havelock team that they held to 3 points in the State Championship game was loaded with D1 athletes. 

• Like 2

On 3/26/2020 at 8:52 PM, Cover9 said:

Don't know what the answer is to the question, but the team must be 2010 or later. You cannot compare great defenses of the 90's to what guys are seeing from the offenses of today. Not to mention rule changes, etc. 

Statistically, there may be an older defense that looks the best on paper, but it's a different game in terms of what Defenses have to deal with now. 

True. Also, you can't play defense in the same manner with the rule changes. The way teams hit until the recently would get you tossed now days. I'm not saying teams today are not physical, but it was different then.

On 3/25/2020 at 1:03 PM, Catholic said:

I was at this game and the Catholic defense was unbelievable. I watch a couple times as guys got ran past on the line and thought, they're beat and Rose would either not be able to throw or throw and someone else on that D would help and make a huge play. Nothing flashing, rarely ever out of position and excellent tacklers. 

• Like 1

In this order-

2019 Vance- During the regular season they were good not great but the playoff run against 3 very good offenses put them #1. Some of the best DB play I have seen.

2012 Butler- when healthy they were probably the best. Injuries cost them a couple of studs late. Held a Creek team that averaged 60 pts to 7 pts total in two games.

2013 Mallard Creek- Jaylen Samuels got all the attention but the D had 5 D1 kids and just blew up teams.Held Hood to under 100 yards.

2014 Crest- Lightning fast. Shut everyone down

2017 Wake Forest- Very well coached. Physical.Couple of great kids.

2017 Mallard Creek- once they put Jordan Davis back on D they were crazy good down the stretch. Beat Zamir and Crouch that year. If Kalan Allen doesnt get hurt in West final I think they win the title.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this