Sign in to follow this  
RD28327

Spring practice

Rate this topic

With schools being closed through mid-May, will schools have any kind of "spring practice?"  Might as well call it off, and pick back up in August.  Not sure exactly how all this coronavirus craziness will affect football.

3 hours ago, RD28327 said:

With schools being closed through mid-May, will schools have any kind of "spring practice?"  Might as well call it off, and pick back up in August.  Not sure exactly how all this coronavirus craziness will affect football.

Shooting practice is cancelled, however dinner workouts should still be good to go. It would be hard to just start the season in August

Everything is shut down.  It all depends on how quickly we are able to overcome this thing.  I'd say spring practice is not going to happen.  Maybe some summer workouts will be able to take place.  Again it just depends on our ability to flatten the curve.  I do think that the Governor closing schools until May 15 is a realistic date.  Eventually we are going to come out of this.  The question is just when.

• Like 2

Doubtful for any Spring or Summer practice except maybe August. This flu has been going on in China for 6 months. We are in the first stage with a long way to go. Football is low on the priorities of schools. I’d bet the house schools will not come back before next year and even now they are planning for August distance learning. I can’t imagine not getting to walk across a graduation stage.

I’m wondering how kids will get help trying to get into colleges. Lots of things we don’t think about are associated with schools closing. Daycare closings and after school programs are creating chaos for those who still have jobs. Putting food on the table is priority one. Let’s not forget that.

• Like 2

Not looking good.

Flatlanders are not listening.

Graham will be closing roads tomorrow at 12 because ppl from out of here wont stop trying to come here by the 100s. 

Be still!!!

That’s one thing I’m worried in Avery @Knights. The seasonal residents are coming up early from all kinds of different states. The population goes from around 20,000 to 60,000 when everyone comes back up. There is only 3 grocery stores in the County. The Hospital is nowhere big enough to handle a outbreak if that were to happen. Hopefully things will turn around for the good soon.

• Like 1

yawn sorry just woke up from Feb 29.  Whats this hoax we all been hearing about .  Anyway I can see this lasting until May and school going through June .  With no spring ball.  Some of the summer 7 on 7 might be saved but at this point no one and I mean no one has a clue 

If I’m not mistaken wasn’t high school football played before when there was no 7 on 7 and Spring practices. 

3 hours ago, Knights said:

60% approval 

My bet would possibly be to  drop the first 2 or possibly first 4 nonconference games to get the season and early practices in .....That will be required .....Right now the way things look that would be GOOD....I just want to see some light at the end of the tunnel......I'm praying it will all come to an end...

I still hold out hope that the season will be saved. It’s over 4 months away. There has got to be a way to get out of this in 16 weeks! Now I do think that spring is done and some of the summer may be as well. 

On 3/25/2020 at 9:23 AM, GDG said:

Doubtful for any Spring or Summer practice except maybe August. This flu has been going on in China for 6 months. We are in the first stage with a long way to go. Football is low on the priorities of schools. I’d bet the house schools will not come back before next year and even now they are planning for August distance learning. I can’t imagine not getting to walk across a graduation stage.

I’m wondering how kids will get help trying to get into colleges. Lots of things we don’t think about are associated with schools closing. Daycare closings and after school programs are creating chaos for those who still have jobs. Putting food on the table is priority one. Let’s not forget that.

I spoke to a high administrator about a number of school issues. One was fall sports. He felt pretty certain the schools would not be taking any chances with spreading of Covid19 by conducting summer practices. He also stated their is no way the schools come back before August if even then. They have a plan in place for distance learning like being used now. One teacher in the triad told me only 20 percent of his students were completing assignments. One local teacher here in Newton said about 80 percent were complying on time. 

I have a kid helping me some who is in high school. The football coach had a team call this past week and I listened in on the speaker. They were still planning the fall positions and giving out workout assignments but the kid told me nobody is doing any of it at home. He says he will not be going back if summer workouts are not held. Both his mother and sister were furloughed and he is using the money he makes to help buy food. Very proud of the young man. His father is in Kuwait with the National Guard.

Note: I was reading the post above and found them to be interesting. An apartment complex of 118 units trended at 4 vacancies for last year for a two week window. Then it spiked 10 days ago to 24 empty after loss of jobs, Hickory Crawdad players not renting, and baseball kids at colleges not playing. Friday they had decreased to 6. I looked in the parking lot and noticed a large increase of car license plates from the northeast of the US. Seems many people from New York, New Jersey, and Massachusetts have come down to escape the trending virus exposure up north. It was pretty startling. Can’t blame them as I suspect age and health conditions have everyone up north terrified. 6 million new jobless claims last week alone. That is on top of the 3 million plus the week before. Historical numbers and even hospitals in the state are laying off employees. 300 alone announced last week at Cape Fear Regional. Stay safe and follow sanitary preventative measures as the coming week Is projected to get bad nationally. And for all those kids I see hooping it up in large numbers at parks- good luck on a ventilator. Word.

• Thanks 1

Thanks fir the post, GDG!

I think everything possible needs to be done to get back to normalcy as soon as possible and that includes extracurricular activities but beating this thing is the only concern right now!