Sign in to follow this  
The Herd

Why Does Tarboro Have Two Open Football Dates and Why Is It That They Can Not Find A Team?

Rate this topic

Mr. Tarboro Viking Fan, why is it that Tarboro has two open dates this upcoming football season? Who drop off their schedule? Plus like I mentioned in an early post maybe they need to attempt to get a team from out of state for example VA.,SC.,WV.,and even Canada, because there are teams out there that will come to Tarboro but the administration got to reach out and be pro-active. There was a good team near Richmond that came to NC. last year to play and don't mind traveling that had the date in Oct. available. Since the big name teams in NC. will not play them then reach out to teams in those states and help out financial if need be or share the gate proceeds but you got to talk to them. There's  a team in DC. that will come to them in 2021 if they jump on it now just need a little financial help. You only talking about a two and a half trip to Richmond and three hours to DC and Baltimore that would love to play Tarboro. Gurley and Tyquan would help financially that all they would have to do, plus the booster club and the community if need be. Later.

48 minutes ago, The Herd said:

Mr. Tarboro Viking Fan, why is it that Tarboro has two open dates this upcoming football season? Who drop off their schedule? Plus like I mentioned in an early post maybe they need to attempt to get a team from out of state for example VA.,SC.,WV.,and even Canada, because there are teams out there that will come to Tarboro but the administration got to reach out and be pro-active. There was a good team near Richmond that came to NC. last year to play and don't mind traveling that had the date in Oct. available. Since the big name teams in NC. will not play them then reach out to teams in those states and help out financial if need be or share the gate proceeds but you got to talk to them. There's  a team in DC. that will come to them in 2021 if they jump on it now just need a little financial help. You only talking about a two and a half trip to Richmond and three hours to DC and Baltimore that would love to play Tarboro. Gurley and Tyquan would help financially that all they would have to do, plus the booster club and the community if need be. Later.

Jones senior high school doesn't have a football team this season, so that's one reason why we have two open dates. From what I've heard Tarboro hasn't reached out to teams out of state don't quote me on it though. I'm sure if Todd and tyquan were to push for it then it would happen 

57 minutes ago, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

Jones senior high school doesn't have a football team this season, so that's one reason why we have two open dates. From what I've heard Tarboro hasn't reached out to teams out of state don't quote me on it though. I'm sure if Todd and tyquan were to push for it then it would happen 

Hey, if the power to be would find a team from out of state since no team in NC. want to play them, i'm quite sure Gurley and Tyquan will support and give them the money if need be. Do you think they are willing to play a team from another state if the opportunity present itself rather than to go with a nine game schedule? Heck the teams in northeastern NC. play teams from the 757 area every year especially Northeastern, sometime Holmes, Currituck,First Flight etc.. To get teams you got to do what you got to do in order to fill your schedule. 

1 hour ago, The Herd said:

Hey, if the power to be would find a team from out of state since no team in NC. want to play them, i'm quite sure Gurley and Tyquan will support and give them the money if need be. Do you think they are willing to play a team from another state if the opportunity present itself rather than to go with a nine game schedule? Heck the teams in northeastern NC. play teams from the 757 area every year especially Northeastern, sometime Holmes, Currituck,First Flight etc.. To get teams you got to do what you got to do in order to fill your schedule. 

Last I checked it's a ten game schedule. I wouldn't mind if Tarboro played a team in Virginia we are only 50 minutes from the border of Virginia. I believe teams in NC would want to play us from the Charlotte area

I posted this info.  Not sure it helps, but both programs would probably be willing to help offset the cost.

River Bluff High School in Lexington SC is in search of aweek 2 or week 7 game.  If interested please contact Blair Hardin at bhardin@lexington1.net

Spartanburg High School in Spartanburg SC is in searchof week 5 or week 8 game.  If interested please contact Mark Hodge at mjhodge@spart7.org

55 minutes ago, hbnw said:

I posted this info.  Not sure it helps, but both programs would probably be willing to help offset the cost.

River Bluff High School in Lexington SC is in search of aweek 2 or week 7 game.  If interested please contact Blair Hardin at bhardin@lexington1.net

Spartanburg High School in Spartanburg SC is in searchof week 5 or week 8 game.  If interested please contact Mark Hodge at mjhodge@spart7.org

Over 4 hours away from Tarboro. I doubt we'd be interested in playing a team that far away unless it's a playoff game. 

If they want a big time opponent they can get one for 2021.  Have a real strong 2020 season,  be flexible with the available dates, guarantee a dollar amount or travel, and they will have a game.

May be they want a good opponent but not an elite opponent.  

2 hours ago, btango said:

If they want a big time opponent they can get one for 2021.  Have a real strong 2020 season,  be flexible with the available dates, guarantee a dollar amount or travel, and they will have a game.

May be they want a good opponent but not an elite opponent.  

Reidsville is elite it's about two hours away that's probably the maximum distance Tarboro would drive for a regular season game. 

20 hours ago, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

Reidsville is elite it's about two hours away that's probably the maximum distance Tarboro would drive for a regular season game. 

Did Tarboro contact Reidsville?  How about Havelock or New Bern?

Richmond put it out to every school they needed a game.  Very good guarantee and gate cut.  Why did Tarboro not call them, or Vance, or Catholic, or Weddington, or Mallard Creek.  Tarboro is not actively seeking the best teams in the state as opponents.  Coach Craddock is realistic.  

7 hours ago, btango said:

Did Tarboro contact Reidsville?  How about Havelock or New Bern?

Richmond put it out to every school they needed a game.  Very good guarantee and gate cut.  Why did Tarboro not call them, or Vance, or Catholic, or Weddington, or Mallard Creek.  Tarboro is not actively seeking the best teams in the state as opponents.  Coach Craddock is realistic.  

From what I've heard Tarboro called quite a few opponents they didn't mention names, but I heard they contacted 3a and 4a schools. And to be fair the teams you mentioned would beat just about every high school football team in the state. 

47 minutes ago, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

And to be fair the teams you mentioned would beat just about every high school football team in the state. 

Correct.

Unfortunately, I have heard disillusion people at 1A state title games say Tarboro was as good as any team in the state regardless classification.  People posting that the “big name” teams will not play them.  The real “big name” teams are not going to call them and as I write Coach Craddock is realistic and that is why he is not calling.

On 3/21/2020 at 3:46 PM, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

Hey my man Dematha H.S. from MD. was willing to talk to them so I heard and was willing to change one of their other date to make it happen,but coach Bill Mcgregor  was waiting to hear back from them,again I don't know what went down from Tarboro side. There are a lot of schools in Ohio that need games and will travel to Tarboro with a little help that some need and some don't. Ohio and Penn. are big states for football you know and some of them will help teams from NC. if they are willing to travel up there to play them. The games could be played on  a Saturday to accommodates teams if need be. Also teams in WV..

On 3/21/2020 at 6:19 PM, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

Last I checked it's a ten game schedule. I wouldn't mind if Tarboro played a team in Virginia we are only 50 minutes from the border of Virginia. I believe teams in NC would want to play us from the Charlotte area

Hey do you think Tarboro would be willing to change their bye week to make the game happen? Also get in touch with ST. Frances Academy in Md. AD. Nicholas.Myles@SFAcademy.org and messay.Hailemariam@SFAcademy.org,# 410-539-5794 they where looking for teams to fill their schedule for their B team. Also the Royal Imperial Collegiate Academy from Canada because they are schedule to come down south this season to play but Tarboro would have to spend a little money to help with their travel expenses. are they willing to come out of their pocket to make something happen is the question. With their booster club and other financial sources I don't see why that would be a problem if they can make a deal. you can email Patrickfife@royalicc.com # 1-888-286-8096. Good luck.

7 hours ago, btango said:

Correct.

Unfortunately, I have heard disillusion people at 1A state title games say Tarboro was as good as any team in the state regardless classification.  People posting that the “big name” teams will not play them.  The real “big name” teams are not going to call them and as I write Coach Craddock is realistic and that is why he is not calling.

You do realize Tarboro has won a 3a state championship and 3 2a state championships and appeared in another 3 2a state championships. During those championship runs we beat some really good teams, heck in 98 we beat Reidsville in the regional finals to get to states that year. Point is Tarboro could play with most teams in the state. Could we beat mallard Creek or Vance? No but we'd hold our own in 3a and 4a

3 hours ago, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

You do realize Tarboro has won a 3a state championship and 3 2a state championships and appeared in another 3 2a state championships. During those championship runs we beat some really good teams, heck in 98 we beat Reidsville in the regional finals to get to states that year. Point is Tarboro could play with most teams in the state. Could we beat mallard Creek or Vance? No but we'd hold our own in 3a and 4a

Tarboro's 3A title according to the team page came in 1984, that one doesn't matter now. Teams now do not care about what happened in 1998, they care about what happened recently. We found success in scheduling out of state teams, issue at times come down to money and helping team come to you. Hoping that Tarboro does find a good team to play.

5 hours ago, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

In attendance at the 3A state title game and one of the 2A title games.

3 hours ago, Catholic said:

Tarboro's 3A title according to the team page came in 1984, that one doesn't matter now. Teams now do not care about what happened in 1998, they care about what happened recently. We found success in scheduling out of state teams, issue at times come down to money and helping team come to you. Hoping that Tarboro does find a good team to play.

True a 3a title in the 1980s don't carry much weight nowadays. Honestly dropping to 1a has hurt Tarboro because now so many teams don't want to play us and potentially lose to a 1a school. I'd love to play Catholic but I'm sure we'd lose that lol be worth a shot though. 

12 hours ago, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

True a 3a title in the 1980s don't carry much weight nowadays. Honestly dropping to 1a has hurt Tarboro because now so many teams don't want to play us and potentially lose to a 1a school. I'd love to play Catholic but I'm sure we'd lose that lol be worth a shot though. 

Nail on the head!!! A loss to a 1A school kills the almighty Maxpreps ranking and no one is willing to take that risk, especially mid level teams that need every single Maxprep point they can get for their playoff seed. Sure, teams like Brown, Catholic or Richmond will likely win that match up, but even with a win it will not help their ranking, so why take the risk?

7 minutes ago, Paul Graham said:

Nail on the head!!! A loss to a 1A school kills the almighty Maxpreps ranking and no one is willing to take that risk, especially mid level teams that need every single Maxprep point they can get for their playoff seed. Sure, teams like Brown, Catholic or Richmond will likely win that match up, but even with a win it will not help their ranking, so why take the risk?

Those schools will play then but they are looking at economics and geography, also.

If Tarboro would have offered Vance or Mallard Creek the guarantee they require each of those schools would travel to Tarboro.  Before last season Vance minimum was $10k.  MC was usually wanting $15k.                  

A school in Charlotte or Richmond sees a home game against Tarboro as not a gate booster.  A trip to Tarboro would require loss of a home game to include ticket sales, concessions, plus travel expenses, and getting the players back home around 2am.  

The Tarboro fans that post here wanting elite opponents need to get out in the community and get some financial and logistical support which could assist with enticing a team to come to them.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2020 at 3:46 PM, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

Hey, Mr. Tarborovikingsfan 2018 are you guys looking for a home game or a home and home and are willing to travel for 3hrs. or a home game and share the gate. I found a team that are very much interested about 3hrs. away out of state. Thanks.

Hey, Mr. Tarborovikingsfan 2018 are you guys looking for a home game or a home and home and are willing to travel for 3hrs. or a home game and share the gate. I found a team that are very much interested about 3hrs. away out of state. Thanks.

A home and home game. What state are they from?

3 hours ago, Paul Graham said:

Exactly. IMO if Tarboro was 2a we would have no issue scheduling games. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

Exactly. IMO if Tarboro was 2a we would have no issue scheduling games. 

What schools did Tarboro reach out to that had the same open dates but did not schedule them?

1 hour ago, btango said:

What schools did Tarboro reach out to that had the same open dates but did not schedule them?

They never did mention any names but I know they tried everything they could to get a game scheduled. We did manage to get a 3a powerhouse in Rocky Mount back on the schedule last season.

• Like 1

Reidsville lost to 1aa champ East Surry. Then turned around and won the 2a state title. Schools are not afraid to play a 1a school. 

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 2:28 PM, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

A home and home game. What state are they from?

Hey,man the school is The Richard Wright Public Charter High School, DC..  They will come to Tarboro not costing you guys nothing but just feed them after the game. You cannot get a better deal than that. Are your people willing to play them. There contact person is Coach Morgan Taylor # 240-353-0676. They are making hotel reservation now and their AD has given them the approval to travel to Tarboro. Later.

• Like 1

Hey,man the school is The Richard Wright Public Charter High School, DC..  They will come to Tarboro not costing you guys nothing but just feed them after the game. You cannot get a better deal than that. Are your people willing to play them. There contact person is Coach Morgan Taylor # 240-353-0676. They are making hotel reservation now and their AD has given them the approval to travel to Tarboro. Later.

What date are they willing to play?

The herd I believe Tarboro has agreed to play them. I just checked their maxpreps schedule and it has Richard wright public charter school on it. If this is official I want to say thank you very much. You got the ball rolling

On 3/24/2020 at 11:16 PM, El Campion said:

Reidsville lost to 1aa champ East Surry. Then turned around and won the 2a state title. Schools are not afraid to play a 1a school. 

What a game that was 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

What date are they willing to play?

The date that Tarboro needed my man. 10/23/20 in Tarboro,NC. and their is another team from DC. that they can get for 2021 to come to Tarboro if they reach out to them now. Later and good luck. All coaches will be surprise how many teams re willing to come to NC. to play them, teams from WV.,MD.,DC., Penn.,SC., NJ., even FL., they just have to call them and work things out. Some would need a little financial help and some will not. There's a good team from Richmond that is also interested in playing Tarboro a very well know team that have played Catholic from Charlotte. Later.

The herd I believe Tarboro has agreed to play them. I just checked their maxpreps schedule and it has Richard wright public charter school on it. If this is official I want to say thank you very much. You got the ball rolling

That's what I do to help teams that need help because I realize a lot of time the coaches are too busy to do a lot of phone calling to teams especially out of state teams. And I do this because I love the game and for free, because I would love to see the teams in NC. get to where other states are like example GA.,SC., FL., even VA., by doing that then you will gradually see coaches salary in NC. going up as well with more exposure that will get them on ESPN etc.. If Tarboro would like to play on ESPN high school football that can be done also if they reach out to them and this goes for any decent teams that have some D1 players on their teams.

• Like 1

That's what I do Mr. Tarborovikingsfan2018. I hope things work out for you guys, and they might be willing to come back next year if you guys treat them right with southern hospitality. I thinks they are getting hotel rooms right now.

On 3/24/2020 at 11:16 PM, El Campion said:

How many 3A and 4A schools are scheduling Reidsville or Tarboro.? It's not a matter of fear at all, it's a matter of Maxprep ranking. As I said before it does 3A and 4A teams no good to play 1A schools. Maxpreps, despite what you think about your school, does not hold 1A school in the same esteem as larger schools.

And East Surry (588) and Reidsville(723) are MUCH closer in size than Tarboro and Scotland(1509), for example. Money aside, its all about seeding and rankings. If it was a fear thing large WNC teams would schedule SMC schools more often.    

2 hours ago, The Herd said:

That's what I do Mr. Tarborovikingsfan2018. I hope things work out for you guys, and they might be willing to come back next year if you guys treat them right with southern hospitality. I thinks they are getting hotel rooms right now.

We got some good southern food in Tarboro lol. Hopefully this game along with the rest of the high school football season happens this year

6 hours ago, The Herd said:

That's what I do to help teams that need help because I realize a lot of time the coaches are too busy to do a lot of phone calling to teams especially out of state teams. And I do this because I love the game and for free, because I would love to see the teams in NC. get to where other states are like example GA.,SC., FL., even VA., by doing that then you will gradually see coaches salary in NC. going up as well with more exposure that will get them on ESPN etc.. If Tarboro would like to play on ESPN high school football that can be done also if they reach out to them and this goes for any decent teams that have some D1 players on their teams.

6 hours ago, The Herd said:

The date that Tarboro needed my man. 10/23/20 in Tarboro,NC. and their is another team from DC. that they can get for 2021 to come to Tarboro if they reach out to them now. Later and good luck. All coaches will be surprise how many teams re willing to come to NC. to play them, teams from WV.,MD.,DC., Penn.,SC., NJ., even FL., they just have to call them and work things out. Some would need a little financial help and some will not. There's a good team from Richmond that is also interested in playing Tarboro a very well know team that have played Catholic from Charlotte. Later.

Anyway you can get that Richmond team for 2021?

9 hours ago, The Herd said:

Let's get our facts straight here boys and girls, we have never played a team from Richmond. Or any team from Virginia. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Catholic said:

Let's get our facts straight here boys and girls, we have never played a team from Richmond. Or any team from Virginia. 

35 minutes ago, Catholic said:

My bag, Mr. Catholic I was writing kind of fast but I was referring too the team from MD.. Sorry to offend you brother. Peace.

Anyway you can get that Richmond team for 2021?

Are you sure your guys would play Richmond County and do a home and home? Would your guys being willing to go to them two years in a row if they financially compensated you well? Also are your people willing to spend money to bring them to Tarboro? Now there's a team outside of Richmond,VA. that is just as talent or better that would come to Tarboro in 2021. Also what date are you talking about? Also they are nationally known. Later.