Sign in to follow this  
Wnchoopsfan

BREAKING: State Championships

The NCHSAA just announced that the games will be played as scheduled however only with essential game personnel and limited family permitted in. It will be closed to the public and media. 

No Media yet the TV media can broadcast the games...all about the $$$$$$$...SMH

I feel for the small community newspapers that can't cover their teams and have all year until now!

8 minutes ago, Don Hines said:

I feel for the small community newspapers that can't cover their teams and have all year until now!

Yeah it’s really got out of hand even in college and professional sports now. So much fear. With that being said, I’d be more surprised now if the games are even played at all. 

56 minutes ago, Don Hines said:

I disagree about this to a point. If there are no fans and no media I want television available.  They were looking at canceling it or moving it to a high school and having no tv and no spectators.  Teams and absolute essential personnel.

6 minutes ago, btango said:

I disagree about this to a point. If there are no fans and no media I want television available.  They were looking at canceling it or moving it to a high school and having no tv and no spectators.  Teams and absolute essential personnel.

This is better than that.  I would prefer to attend, but at least I can watch.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, btango said:

I’d say cancelling is back on the table if not already being worked on. Hard to defend when you have the ACC 40 miles up the road being canceled but playing a high school game in a county that has the most confirmed cases in N.C.  I’m not saying I agree with the ACC cancelling nor the NCHSAA canceling but it would be hard to defend to not cancel. 

40 minutes ago, Wnchoopsfan said:

I’d say cancelling is back on the table if not already being worked on. Hard to defend when you have the ACC 40 miles up the road being canceled but playing a high school game in a county that has the most confirmed cases in N.C.  I’m not saying I agree with the ACC cancelling nor the NCHSAA canceling but it would be hard to defend to not cancel. 

To cancel the state high school championships would be devastating!  ACC Tourney is tough but I think every school that was still in playing will make a post season tournament.  

How long do we stop athletic events, gathering of large crowds or groups.  What’s next closing all restaurants in the US?  Closing all stores?  What will it get to, governorcalling out the National Guard to enforce people a “martial law” where people cannot leave their homes?

If the nation literally shuts down for one or two weeks the people that can least afford to not work will suffer the most.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, btango said:

To cancel the state high school championships would be devastating!  ACC Tourney is tough but I think every school that was still in playing will make a post season tournament.  

How long do we stop athletic events, gathering of large crowds or groups.  What’s next closing all restaurants in the US?  Closing all stores?  What will it get to, governorcalling out the National Guard to enforce people a “martial law” where people cannot leave their homes?

If the nation literally shuts down for one or two weeks the people that can least afford to not work will suffer the most.

BREAKING: My sources close to the situation were spot on earlier. Per the NCHSAA, the state championships are postponed indefinitely. Just was a tough spot for them to be in to defend when ACC cancels, school suspended at all major colleges in the state, and highest number of cases for the state in Wake County. 

29 minutes ago, btango said:

Also, the national guard has been deployed to New Rochelle, NY in Westchester County. 

BREAKING: NCHSAA Basketball State Championships have been postponed for 2 weeks(April 6th. Then to be re-evaluated and will be scheduled in  2 weeks after that if possible. All depends on the virus containment.

7 minutes ago, Don Hines said:

BREAKING: NCHSAA Basketball State Championships have been postponed for 2 weeks(April 6th. Then to be re-evaluated and will be scheduled in  2 weeks after that if possible. All depends on the virus containment.

I’ll be totally shocked if it ever gets played. They just ordered no games or practices for spring sports until at least April 6 so I don’t see any way a decision is made about championships before then. Looks like you’ll have regional champs and that’s it for 2020, folks. 

3 minutes ago, Wnchoopsfan said:

I’ll be totally shocked if it ever gets played. They just ordered no games or practices for spring sports until at least April 6 so I don’t see any way a decision is made about championships before then. Looks like you’ll have regional champs and that’s it for 2020, folks. 

We will see what happens April 6th????????????????

If the virus improves, the result of the two weeks suspension plus two weeks practice would be state championship games for basketball on April 11.

1 minute ago, Don Hines said:

If the virus improves, the result of the two weeks suspension plus two weeks practice would be state championship games for basketball on April 11.

I’m just not sure how they can practice until at least April 6th since all NCHSAA sporting events including practice have been suspended until the April 6th date at the earliest. 

1 minute ago, Wnchoopsfan said:

I’m just not sure how they can practice until at least April 6th since all NCHSAA sporting events including practice have been suspended until the April 6th date at the earliest. 

If in two weeks the virus is worse, at that time the basketball state championships would be cancelled and the two finalists in each classification declared co-champions.

1 minute ago, Wnchoopsfan said:

That is why IF they play in 2 weeks after April 6th. Is for the teams to practice.

2 minutes ago, Don Hines said:

That is why IF they play in 2 weeks after April 6th. Is for the teams to practice.

Oh I thought you meant they would play the championship on April 11th, after they have already practiced for two weeks. No one can pick up a ball in practice for any sport until April 6th. My misunderstanding on your previous post. 

4 minutes ago, FHS1985 returns said:

No one can practice officially, but you can’t stop the kids from going to the gym on their own.

Correct. It just can’t be at the high school. Double checked on that just a bit ago. 

BREAKING:  NCAA just announced that the men’s and women’s basketball tournaments have been canceled along with any spring sport tournament. 

NCAA laymen terms: See you in the fall. 

• Like 1

At a high school baseball game tonight and before the game seniors for both teams were introduced as what would occur on a ordinary senior night. As most think, this is likely the last sporting event of the school year. 

If school is in session I do not see why they will not be allowed to practice.  They are around each other all day inside a classroom and hallways.  Practice outside.

In heart and mind I still think this is an overreaction but once it got rolling there was no stopping it.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, btango said:

If school is in session I do not see why they will not be allowed to practice.  They are around each other all day inside a classroom and hallways.  Practice outside.

In heart and mind I still think this is an overreaction but once it got rolling there was no stopping it.  

I tend to agree. What sent everything over the edge was when the two NBA players tested positive. Just also heard that a Wake county teacher has tested positive, and now wake county schools are closed through at least the end of March. I expect other schools to follow, and may even seen a state mandate for all schools to close. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wnchoopsfan said:

I tend to agree. What sent everything over the edge was when the two NBA players tested positive. Just also heard that a Wake county teacher has tested positive, and now wake county schools are closed through at least the end of March. I expect other schools to follow, and may even seen a state mandate for all schools to close. 

And as my sources indicated earlier, all N.C. public K-12 schools will be closed for 2 weeks per order of the governor. 

5 hours ago, Wnchoopsfan said:

And as my sources indicated earlier, all N.C. public K-12 schools will be closed for 2 weeks per order of the governor. 

yep. I just got back from a cruise and my wife and i were told by our school to stay home for two weeks. There are plans being discussed by a local university to just call this semester a wash and end it if this gets worse. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My question goes to the teams left for the State Championship games that are left. What is the deadline of these teams to play. If they don’t play will these teams be recognized as Co Champions. Has there anything new came out with this situation. 

11 hours ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

My question goes to the teams left for the State Championship games that are left. What is the deadline of these teams to play. If they don’t play will these teams be recognized as Co Champions. Has there anything new came out with this situation. 

If no games, I believe there will just be regional final winners recognized and no state champion. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2020 at 9:45 PM, Vik-Val 86 said:

The ramblings I'm hearing will be co-champ?

• Like 1

The latest from NCHSAA: Having heard the updated information related to schools remaining closed until the middle of May. The NCHSAA interscholastic athletics
will remained suspended until at least May 18th.

• Like 1

The fact the NCHSAA didn’t come out & completely cancel HS sports yesterday leads me to believe they’re willing/plan to do everything possible to give the kids  something this spring.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2020 at 12:16 PM, Don Hines said:

The ramblings I'm hearing will be co-champ?

I’ve been hearing that it will be regional champs and no official state champions. Not that it really matters, it’s just how it’s documented. 

I saw one person propose that we take the two finalists in each class and look at their ADMs and then make the smaller one “A champions” and the bigger one “AA champions”.  Makes about as much sense as anything else now IMHO.

5 hours ago, Wnchoopsfan said:

I’ve been hearing that it will be regional champs and no official state champions. Not that it really matters, it’s just how it’s documented. 

You may end up being correct...

However, as of right now, you aren't.

And your history here makes it very clear as to why you hope for what you do.

1 hour ago, SpeakeroftheTruth said:

You may end up being correct...

However, as of right now, you aren't.

And your history here makes it very clear as to why you hope for what you do.

My history of speaking the truth? Ironic. 

These games will not be played, that’s a lock since school will not be back in session this semester. As a result, it’s all clerical as far as how it’s titled. 

Here's what the NCHSAA said when asked:

me: James IF the basketball championships can't be played? Will there be co-champions or just regional champs?

Not sure if this has been discussed?

Don Hines

NCPiedmontSports

====================

NCHSAA:Don,

It has been discussed but there has not been a decision at this time. It will ultimately come with some Board of Directors input if that has to be done. Hope that helps,

James