Sign in to follow this  
Tarborovikingsfan2018

How the cornavirus could impact the upcoming high school football season.

Rate this topic

The coronavirus has caused numerous sporting events to make changes. From cancelling seasons, to playing in empty arenas. All of this has me wondering, how could the coronavirus impact not just the upcoming high school football season, but other spring high school sports as well.

Much too early to tell about football.  Warm weather may reduce transmission rates, just as it does with the flu.  Vaccines may be available before football season, although it is being said it could be as much as a year or more.

Only time will tell....

• Like 1

I am much more concerned about the next week, month, the economic hits, et al.  

I have a few close friends and relatives that are doctors.  They mention the lack of hysteria over the swine flu a decade ago.  Always note the demographics of the deaths.

I have seen people that push an agenda because it is good for them, their industry, their job advancement.  Always wonder what or who drives an agenda.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Could be serious or not. Infection rates and deaths are lower than other virus strains common across the world. Many more deaths from other sicknesses but it’s an election year. News media has used this for their own purposes. Would they have shut down all these events for the common flu that happens every year. Of course not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, btango said:

I am much more concerned about the next week, month, the economic hits, et al.  

I have a few close friends and relatives that are doctors.  They mention the lack of hysteria over the swine flu a decade ago.  Always note the demographics of the deaths.

I have seen people that push an agenda because it is good for them, their industry, their job advancement.  Always wonder what or who drives an agenda.

Looks like we were thinking much the same at the same time. The media is driving a panic and it might be to change the economic scene which will dictate voting later in November. I could see any strain of flue being an issue in a country with socialized medicine where the wait to be treated is long and the access to medicine is limited. My concern personally is not health related. It’s now economy related. If this hysteria continues there will not be a restaurant or venue in North Carolina open in a month. 

• Like 4

Agree Btango..... not wearing a tin hat... but... the left needed a crisis in order to weaken President Trump's re-election. They have a communist and a candidate that doesn't know where he is half the time. H1N1 infected millions. Never got the hype this one is. Social Media is evil. The main stream media is a joke. They are nothing but the propaganda arm of the democrat party. There isn't a "life or death" situation. As far as the NBA cancelling their season, look no further than the China situation this past summer. I'll wager that half of their arrogant over paid asses will play in China before July. If you are an elderly person, someone that has health issues or just concerned about germs, stay home. Nothing more. 

• Like 2

Swine flu was killing youth, teens, young adults, and up.  Some did not have health issues.  

I did not miss a day of school my last eleven years.  Never missed a day of work or went on sick call for Illness in the Army.  I got swine flu and was literally disabled for close to three days, very sick another three, then back to normal in two weeks.

I saw a guy on the news complaining s out being sick from it, hospitalized in (I think) GA.  May be 35, misdiagnosed initially as he did not meet the criteria.  He was way overweight.  Not saying that is makes him more susceptible but people with bad health and bad habits are the ones that are most susceptible to it being a major health issue.

• Thanks 1

please leave politics out of it.  I look at it like this at first I thought over reaction then when I saw that the NCAA and NBA did  this might be a little more serious than we might think.  When there stands to be Billions in losses that never stopped organizations and businesses to stop what they were doing and take the loss something is up.  Rich people do not like to lose money 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ramheadbut said:

Sure you can some of these responses is why you guys should not follow Alex Jones 

Don't follow Alex Jones! I just think for myself and don't allow the media to scare me to death! If you thought about everything that could happen you would never leave your house!

1 hour ago, ramheadbut said:

please leave politics out of it.  I look at it like this at first I thought over reaction then when I saw that the NCAA and NBA did  this might be a little more serious than we might think.  When there stands to be Billions in losses that never stopped organizations and businesses to stop what they were doing and take the loss something is up.  Rich people do not like to lose money 

I think politics plays a big part in many things we do not expect it to.  

• Like 3

Modern media news outlets doing anything to create panic. Same media that falsely created riots in major cities Same people who loved drama in high school are now journalism majors. Any flu can be deadly if not treated. Especially the young and elderly. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ramheadbut said:

Sure you can some of these responses is why you guys should not follow Alex Jones 

The mere fact you brought up Alex Jones say more about you than any previous comment that has been made. Make sure you keep in step with your liberal media and follow blindly all the guidelines they establish for you. I on the other hand think for myself and do my own research with what facts are available across a broad spectrum. You, well, you pretty much exposed who you are. 

Wrong please don't do that , that right wing attack method(Check that the Trumpian attack method)  is old and worn out so stop it.  Your response is well what it is a response and nothing more same a mine.  I would bet my eye teeth you watch Hannity

21 minutes ago, ramheadbut said:

Wrong please don't do that , that right wing attack method(Check that the Trumpian attack method)  is old and worn out so stop it.  Your response is well what it is a response and nothing more same a mine.  I would bet my eye teeth you watch Hannity

I bet you watch that ugly dude maddow! We are stating facts, 39 dead out of a country of 350,000,000, but yet we hear how bad it is! H1N1 infected 60 million Americans where was the panic in the media, where was the cancellation of sporting events? And it killed young and old! We are just sick of the media trying to blow everything that comes along out of shape so they can bump their ratings up!

33 minutes ago, ramheadbut said:

Guess what snowflake...?  Hilliary lost. Get over it. I guess in your world this is Trump's fault. Now explain to me how he is responsible for every other damn country in the world being infected? Enjoy your red wine and cheese while looking smugly down on the rest of us. 

I just think this is a little over reaction. There's nobody talking about the flu and it kills a lot more people than this virus does and it's not even close. Are we going to start closing malls,shopping centers and restaurants, because I can promise you more people go to Walmart in a day than will be people in those arenas.

• Like 1

President Trump tried to send people over to help China, but they didn't need it! So he instituted a travel ban, got criticized for that!

Here we go. The Trump supporters are out in mass. Now its the democrats fault because of a virus that started in Wuhan, China. A virus that we dont know much about the transmission rate or just how its transmitted. So now its an agenda that's being pushed to oust trump. H1N1 was a big deal. But because we live in a litigous overly capitalistic society everyone has to look out for their best interest. Better to cancel/suspend and get more info then to play the politic game.  Just sad that this football baord would go politics but trumptards just cant help themselves. 

Flu vs. an unk virus. The big difference is the depth and numbers of people infected. Its not as deadly but more easily spread and more countries involved. Thats why its more of a push and there are cancellations. Nothing about politics, but don't let science interfere. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, J-Heat1110 said:

Here we go. The Trump supporters are out in mass. Now its the democrats fault because of a virus that started in Wuhan, China. A virus that we dont know much about the transmission rate or just how its transmitted. So now its an agenda that's being pushed to oust trump. H1N1 was a big deal. But because we live in a litigous overly capitalistic society everyone has to look out for their best interest. Better to cancel/suspend and get more info then to play the politic game.  Just sad that this football baord would go politics but trumptards just cant help themselves. 

Flu vs. an unk virus. The big difference is the depth and numbers of people infected. Its not as deadly but more easily spread and more countries involved. Thats why its more of a push and there are cancellations. Nothing about politics, but don't let science interfere. 

Keep believing that!

7 minutes ago, Friday night fan said:

Keep believing that!

FNF, could care less about trump politics, Bernie, or Joe. Just stating that this is a little different than H1N1 in its scope. Its more widespread and unk. Its also the subject of a book that was written in the 90s so folks will feel a little different. Is it a presidential year? yes. Will this be used as debate? yes.Just like Katrina, wars and other illnesses. Not a trump fan but glad he closed the travel. Ok with the cancellations/suspending until we get more info. Its just using common sense until we get more info. 

1 hour ago, J-Heat1110 said:

FNF, could care less about trump politics, Bernie, or Joe. Just stating that this is a little different than H1N1 in its scope. Its more widespread and unk. Its also the subject of a book that was written in the 90s so folks will feel a little different. Is it a presidential year? yes. Will this be used as debate? yes.Just like Katrina, wars and other illnesses. Not a trump fan but glad he closed the travel. Ok with the cancellations/suspending until we get more info. Its just using common sense until we get more info. 

Really h1n1 affected 60 million people in this country alone!

Crisis drives ratings on both sides. While a downturn in the economy may benefit the left to a small degree in the end we are a polarized country and it wouldnt matter much.

The epitaph on this disaster will not be health related or political.  7 - 10 days from now you will have an economic reality which will devastate millions of Americans. 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

Crisis drives ratings on both sides. While a downturn in the economy may benefit the left to a small degree in the end we are a polarized country and it wouldnt matter much.

The epitaph on this disaster will not be health related or political.  7 - 10 days from now you will have an economic reality which will devastate millions of Americans. 

Yep. Those journalist and government paid employees will continue to draw a check while private businesses will be devastated. The housing market, restaurant, retail, and construction industry will drive a Wall Street crumble. The media must have their story at the expense of tens of millions of underpaid employees and middle class blue collar workers.

• Like 4

Many in the media, i.e. Bill Maher, Chris Cuomo, Don Lemon, Rachel Maddow, all have said that the country may have to endure a recession in order to get rid of President Trump. That's the liberal mindset. To control every aspect with their views regardless of the consequences. Just like today when Pelosi submitted her bill to congress it had several unrelated items. Mainly public funding for abortion. Yeah, the "trumptards" are the problem. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J-Heat1110 said:

Quoted for truth. I opened this thread with much hesitation and it didn’t take long to realize what you just posted was exactly what I expected. As soon as I read someone calling Bernie a communist (lol), it became apparent this was going to be a Fox and Friends type of discussion. I stay far away from politics on this board but this entire thread is just full of uneducated and uninformed conjecture.

8 hours ago, WM1977 said:

The mere fact you brought up Alex Jones say more about you than any previous comment that has been made. Make sure you keep in step with your liberal media and follow blindly all the guidelines they establish for you. I on the other hand think for myself and do my own research with what facts are available across a broad spectrum. You, well, you pretty much exposed who you are. 

Lol Fox News isn’t research.

20 minutes ago, InnerCityPreps said:

Quoted for truth. I opened this thread with much hesitation and it didn’t take long to realize what you just posted was exactly what I expected. As soon as I read someone calling Bernie a communist (lol), it became apparent this was going to be a Fox and Friends type of discussion. I stay far away from politics on this board but this entire thread is just full of uneducated and uninformed conjecture.

When I started this thread I was hoping it would be about how it could impact the upcoming high school football season. Obviously it did a complete 180. I should have known better SMH

Refuse to get in a political back and forth. Both sides far to entrenched. Mesmerized by their own version of the truth fueled by a 24/7 news cycle with their own agenda.

Really dont think this is a crisis that started with a political goal. It was one driven by ratings and as is almost always the case it is the poor and disenfranchised that will pay a brutal price.

Saw a popular news talking head say this tonight.  " Our toughness is being tested like never before". Somewhere the Boys of Pointe du hoc are laughing their asses off.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

When I started this thread I was hoping it would be about how it could impact the upcoming high school football season. Obviously it did a complete 180. I should have known better SMH

I guess you just ignored everyone else’s opinion or do you not care because it supports your political preference?

29 minutes ago, InnerCityPreps said:

I guess you just ignored everyone else’s opinion or do you not care because it supports your political preference?

It wasn't intended to be political, it was intended to be about how it would effect high school football and other sports. 

4 minutes ago, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

It wasn't intended to be political, it was intended to be about how it would effect high school football and other sports. 

And yet you chose my post out of all the other seemingly pro-trump post. Why didn’t you say something 30 post up when it first became political?

10 minutes ago, InnerCityPreps said:

And yet you chose my post out of all the other seemingly pro-trump post. Why didn’t you say something 30 post up when it first became political?

I've been busy all day. I'm pro Trump as well I don't go around bragging about it.

• Like 1