Sign in to follow this  
Ace Newman

Drake Maye headed for UNC instead of Alabama

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Ace Newman said:

https://www.highschoolot.com/4-star-qb-drake-maye-flips-commitment-to-north-carolina-from-alabama/18997250/

I'm not mistaken junior quarterback Caleb Hood who plays for Richmond County verbally commited to NC State but he also is going to UNC instead.  This should be intresting...any thoughts?   

Not aware of Caleb Hood ever committing to State. He's an athlete that can play multiple positions so I'm sure the staff will put him in the best position possible. 

6 minutes ago, Tyler12 said:

Not aware of Caleb Hood ever committing to State. He's an athlete that can play multiple positions so I'm sure the staff will put him in the best position possible. 

Your right NCSU offered Caleb a scholarship and I thought he had accepted it. But I think Drake Maye willl do well playing at UNC instead of Bama.  I dont know a lot about some of the players across the country but Bama already has that blue chipper QB Bryce Young.  Its tough competition especially playing in the SEC.

I'm happy to see this switch, but until signing day, commitments can be changed.  This does speak volumes in just how well Mack Brown and company are doing in recruiting.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

I'm happy to see this switch, but until signing day, commitments can be changed.  This does speak volumes in just how well Mack Brown and company are doing in recruiting.  

Very true brother

I’m certainly not a Tarheel fan but I do like Mack Brown. I think Drake Maye made a good decision not going to Alabama. As a recruit I would trust Brown over Saban any day. Given Carolina has built an offense around Sam Howell that will lead directly into the skill set of Maye in a couple years it’s going to help tremendously. Howell will start while Maye learns the difference in the speed of the game. The only question mark here is how long Mack Brown remains at Carolina. Given his age will he be at Carolina when Maye is given his chance to start or will a new coach have a recruit he feels is his guy.

12 minutes ago, GDG said:

I’m certainly not a Tarheel fan but I do like Mack Brown. I think Drake Maye made a good decision not going to Alabama. As a recruit I would trust Brown over Saban any day. Given Carolina has built an offense around Sam Howell that will lead directly into the skill set of Maye in a couple years it’s going to help tremendously. Howell will start while Maye learns the difference in the speed of the game. The only question mark here is how long Mack Brown remains at Carolina. Given his age will he be at Carolina when Maye is given his chance to start or will a new coach have a recruit he feels is his guy.

He has signed a 1 year extension that will run through 2024. He agreed with Bubba that he will sign 1 year extensions instead of long term extensions. I could see him coaching for 5-6 more years.

6 hours ago, Rick Harrington said:

Anything is possible.  Go to UNC and play, go to Bama and sit on the bench.  Not a hard decision to make.

This sentiment is silly to me. Drake Maye is widely regarded as a top 5 pocket passer IN THE NATION this year. He threw 50 TD and only 2 INT in one of the premier conferences in the state. The competition at unc isn't exactly pushovers either you know.. Sam Howell for 2 more seasons at least. 4 star Jacolby Criswell is waiting in the wings and now Maye. UNCs QB room is almost as talented as anyone in the nation. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rick Harrington said:

Anything is possible.  Go to UNC and play, go to Bama and sit on the bench.  Not a hard decision to make.

I'm sure Bama recruited him just for depth and to sit on the bench.  It's really a discredit to this kid who hasn't even had a chance to prove himself at that level. Salty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems like a good move on the surface, but Maye is a great fit at Bama. Do well at Bama and the exposure is much greater. Im 50/50 on this one. There is competition everywhere. When Maye committed to Bama I thought he's a much better Jacob Coker, or a much better McElroy. Both championship QBs. Maye at Bama is the Trevor Lawrence effect of Clemson. He's just that good. 

• Like 1

I was actually surprised he committed to Bama in the first place knowing his family's history at UNC.  I hope he does well wherever he goes.  I think there is a distinct difference in the amount of pressure on the QB at UNC than there is at Bama.  The expectations at Bama are through the roof while at UNC they are not going to be that high while they are in the midst of a rebuilding and rebranding campaign.  JMHO

UNC is rebuilding and rebranding now, but by the time Maye could/should be the starter, they will be higher.  Maybe not Alabama high, but those expectations are already growing.

Is there any proof he has de-committed from Bama?  UNC is the better fir for him.  One redshirt year and into the rotation, depending on what happens with Howell.

9 hours ago, Rick Harrington said:

Is there any proof he has de-committed from Bama?  UNC is the better fir for him.  One redshirt year and into the rotation, depending on what happens with Howell.

Yes, he posted it on his Instagram. He will be in a competition with Criswell once Sam leaves. Criswell is a 4star Elite 11 kid as well from Arkansas.

On 3/8/2020 at 10:57 AM, GDG said:

As a recruit I would trust Brown over Saban any day. 

I'm just curious why you would say this?  Is it just because you don't like Nick Saban from what you see and hear on TV?  Have you ever met either of them?  I mean, what wouldn't you trust him with?  Ever seen either of them interact with the players off the field.  I like both them.  I think both are fine coaches but just different personalities that you see on TV.  I played for a coach that was very much like Nick Saban.  He was very hard but he was fair. I love him for that toughness and I tell him that every chance I get.  

Just for fun, here is a coaching comparison....

Nick Saban: 24 seasons             

Coaching Record:  248-65  79.1%

Losing Seasons: 0

National Titles: 6

NFL 1st round picks: 34

All Americans: 35

Mack Brown:  30 seasons

Coaching Record:  251-128-1  66.1%

Losing Seasons: 5

National Titles: 1

NFL 1st round picks: 21

All Americans: 22

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gg4bama said:

I'm just curious why you would say this?  Is it just because you don't like Nick Saban from what you see and hear on TV?  Have you ever met either of them?  I mean, what wouldn't you trust him with?  Ever seen either of them interact with the players off the field.  I like both them.  I think both are fine coaches but just different personalities that you see on TV.  I played for a coach that was very much like Nick Saban.  He was very hard but he was fair. I love him for that toughness and I tell him that every chance I get.  

Well said...

1 hour ago, gg4bama said:

Hard to compare numbers when one has coached at LSU, Alabama and Michigan St while Mack (in addition to Texas) coached at App State, Tulane and UNC. 

9 minutes ago, Tyler12 said:

Hard to compare numbers when one has coached at LSU and Alabama. 

What Texas is a blue blood of college football. Mack was there 16 years. LSU was nothing till Saban got there. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tyler12 said:

Hard to compare numbers when one has coached at LSU and Alabama. 

Actually it's very easy to compare numbers.  You have to recruit and coach at  both places.  Saban also coached at Toledo and Michigan State.  When Nick Saban took over at Bama, it was a complete mess and he took it and made it the juggernaut it is today.  Mack also coached at Texas, which should be or is a top notch program, if I am not mistaken.  When he got there they were mediocre at best.  I like both guys but they have different personalities.  I was simply asking why someone would trust Mack Brown over Nick Saban because it can't be coaching.  

5 minutes ago, Appvol said:

What Texas is a blue blood of college football. Mack was there 16 years. LSU was nothing till Saban got there. 

Didn't say Texas wasn't a blue blood. 

LSU wasn't anything? The Tigers played in over 30 bowl games prior to Saban taking over. Had 9 & 10 win seasons the cycle before Saban took over. 

10 minutes ago, gg4bama said:

Actually it's very easy to compare numbers.  You have to recruit and coach at  both places.  Saban also coached at Toledo and Michigan State.  When Nick Saban took over at Bama, it was a complete mess and he took it and made it the juggernaut it is today.  Mack also coached at Texas, which should be or is a top notch program, if I am not mistaken.  When he got there they were mediocre at best.  I like both guys but they have different personalities.  I was simply asking why someone would trust Mack Brown over Nick Saban because it can't be coaching.  

Hmm, OK. So you're saying recruiting at Michigan St/LSU is equal to recruiting at places like Tulane and North Carolina? 

29 minutes ago, gg4bama said:

One could say Sabans QBs has done a lot better than Mack’s. After Colt McCoy look at how many highly rated QBs Mack recruited and didn’t pan out. It cost him his job at Texas. Texas never had a good QB after McCoy.

• Like 1

Coaching stops for Nick Saban include Toledo, Michigan St., LSU and Alabama.

Coaching stops for Mack Brown include Tulane, UNC, Texas and UNC again.  

Toledo and Tulane...hmmmm not 2 powerhouse programs.

UNC and Michigan St. are similar but Michigan St. has a bit more of a pedigree in football.  

Alabama and Texas are about the same with Texas having some advantages with the state of high school football in Texas.  Texas is a money generating machine and should be good in football just like Alabama.  At Bama, the fans are so passionate about football that they willing to put the money into facilities and coaching to get any advantage they can.  In Alabama, there are no pro sports so college football is king. LSU is a good program and has had a modicum of success over the years and you can recruit there.  

Again,  I like both guys.  I was merely asking why someone would trust Mack over Nick because it can't be coaching.  

1 minute ago, gg4bama said:

Coaching stops for Nick Saban include Toledo, Michigan St., LSU and Alabama.

Coaching stops for Mack Brown include Tulane, UNC, Texas and UNC again.  

Toledo and Tulane...hmmmm not 2 powerhouse programs.

UNC and Michigan St. are similar but Michigan St. has a bit more of a pedigree in football.  

Alabama and Texas are about the same with Texas having some advantages with the state of high school football in Texas.  Texas is a money generating machine and should be good in football just like Alabama.  At Bama, the fans are so passionate about football that they willing to put the money into facilities and coaching to get any advantage they can.  In Alabama, there are no pro sports so college football is king. LSU is a good program and has had a modicum of success over the years and you can recruit there.  

Again,  I like both guys.  I was merely asking why someone would trust Mack over Nick because it can't be coaching.  

I trust Mack Brown right now with that #4 recruiting class in the country. Go Heels! 

2 minutes ago, Tyler12 said:

I trust Mack Brown right now with that #4 recruiting class in the country. Go Heels! 

I guess we'll see about those rankings come next December and February but he does have a good class going so far.  When the 5 star kids start committing then you'll see Bama start moving up the board.  I really hope UNC gets better.  Clemson needs some competition in the ACC.   

13151010l3.jpg

Everybody keeps putting Hood in the "he's a great athlete category" which he is but the kid can play QB. He was 12/24(50%) for 203, an avg. of 16.9 per completion Maye was 18/34(53%) for 286 which is 15.8 yds per completion when they faced each other. Maye was also sacked 4 times while Hood had 11 caries for 112 yds. I couldnt find sacks on Hood or rushing for Maye. I remember Maye ripped off a big run one time for sure. Hood was also 14/25 vs Hough, both teams have secondaries that are used to defending the pass. Just seems people are automatically removing Hood from any consideration at QB. I can guarantee that if that young man chooses to compete for that position and is given the chance he will not be out worked and he will shine. 

30 minutes ago, Greengold4ever said:

Everybody keeps putting Hood in the "he's a great athlete category" which he is but the kid can play QB. He was 12/24(50%) for 203, an avg. of 16.9 per completion Maye was 18/34(53%) for 286 which is 15.8 yds per completion when they faced each other. Maye was also sacked 4 times while Hood had 11 caries for 112 yds. I couldnt find sacks on Hood or rushing for Maye. I remember Maye ripped off a big run one time for sure. Hood was also 14/25 vs Hough, both teams have secondaries that are used to defending the pass. Just seems people are automatically removing Hood from any consideration at QB. I can guarantee that if that young man chooses to compete for that position and is given the chance he will not be out worked and he will shine. 

We are removing him for multiple reasons.  Sam Howell is the 1st reason.  Criswell is the 2nd reason.  His height is 3rd reason.  4th reason is the fact that he is too good to sit behind people and wait to get on the field.  He can make an immediate impact at multiple other positions, so there is no way he sits to wait to play QB.  If you go on just stats alone, then Jefferson Boaz should play QB before Hood or Drake Maye, but that isn't going to happen either.  

• Like 2

Boaz , who is really good , did not face the competition that Hood and Maye  faced.......Hood will play somewhere.....:D

3 hours ago, raider1 said:

Boaz , who is really good , did not face the competition that Hood and Maye  faced.......Hood will play somewhere.....:D

I agree...just won’t be at QB...at least not in year 1.

Completely agree with you coachE42 with reason 1, 2nd reason...ehhh who knows, 3rd reason i don't buy, Russell Wilson dispells that myth. 4th reason is the real one that comes into question. I think Hood knows and has already said he will play anywhere they want he just wants to play. Remove Howell from the equation he is proven and battle tested, he is the man until he leaves or heaven forbid injured. Hood vs anybody else coming in can and would hold his own in a tryout situation is all I am saying. As far as Maye is concerned is this really a good move? There is already a proven returner in his position, can Alabama say that? I think Maye and Hood share something in common with their decisions.....they just want to go Carolina......for some unGodly reason. Sorry had to take a shot at my Tarheel friends.

1 hour ago, Greengold4ever said:

Completely agree with you coachE42 with reason 1, 2nd reason...ehhh who knows, 3rd reason i don't buy, Russell Wilson dispells that myth. 4th reason is the real one that comes into question. I think Hood knows and has already said he will play anywhere they want he just wants to play. Remove Howell from the equation he is proven and battle tested, he is the man until he leaves or heaven forbid injured. Hood vs anybody else coming in can and would hold his own in a tryout situation is all I am saying. As far as Maye is concerned is this really a good move? There is already a proven returner in his position, can Alabama say that? I think Maye and Hood share something in common with their decisions.....they just want to go Carolina......for some unGodly reason. Sorry had to take a shot at my Tarheel friends.

Bama has the #1 overall recruit in the 2020 class coming in this year plus Tua's brother is on the roster, whom was the 5th rated QB in the 2019 class. Maye will enroll in Chapel Hill when Sam is a Junior, which will most likely be his last year at UNC. I see him Red-shirting his Frosh year and then competing for the starting job in 2022. Both Maye & Hood want to follow in their Dad's footsteps -- rooting for both of them to be successful in Carolina blue. 

• Like 1

I am still not sure Maye is a lock until signing day.  Do not expect him to redshirt.  If he does it will be his second year if Howell comes back.  I would expect him to see reserve playing time as a freshman and be ready to play full time as a sophomore.  This is somewhat like Alabama with Bryce Young, if Criswell turns out to be a potential superstar this changes completely for Maye's future at UNC.

Maye can play a third of the season and still classify as a redshirt. Both Criswell and Maye will get a shot at taking over the keys but I don't see Criswell seeing the field before Maye steps on campus. Thus, I don't foresee Maye making a decision based off of Criswell. 

43 minutes ago, Tyler12 said:

Maye can play a third of the season and still classify as a redshirt. Both Criswell and Maye will get a shot at taking over the keys but I don't see Criswell seeing the field before Maye steps on campus. Thus, I don't foresee Maye making a decision based off of Criswell. 

If Howell stays healthy and does not miss a game.  Kind of like the Fromm / Eason.

High four and five star kids do not go to college to redshirt.  QB is a different situation but there is still that mindset.

Howell and Criswell different style of QB than Maye.

14 minutes ago, btango said:

If Howell stays healthy and does not miss a game.  Kind of like the Fromm / Eason.

High four and five star kids do not go to college to redshirt.  QB is a different situation but there is still that mindset.

Howell and Criswell different style of QB than Maye.

I'm aware that most highly recruited kids don't go to college to redshirt but I also believe Maye knows who is on the QB depth chart at the moment. 

Vince Young and Colt Mccoy were also different styles of QB under Mack. Sam was held back this year in regards to running more on the zone read due to the QB depth but I think he showed that the offense can survive without a running QB. 

Sign in to follow this