Sign in to follow this  
Tarborovikingsfan2018

Sleeper 1a teams for this upcoming season

Rate this topic

I would say Andrews. Junior heavy team last year and really strong freshman class coming up that won the JV championship. Should be their best team in years if they avoid the type of offseason transfers that hit them last summer.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say they are the favorites to win in A, but they will be in the mix this fall. The QB is back and several of the better linemen as well.

8 hours ago, areasportsgeek said:

Robbinsville, East Surry and Mt. Airy...

Robbinsville is 1A. look out for Avery and Polk County this fall. They could join Mtn. Island Charter, Mt. Airy and East Surry as the favorites to advance to the finals.

Mentioning Mitchell and Swain here is really not the right place. 

1. East Surry will lose all their skill players to D-1 Schools. Still a team to watch, but i don't think they will be nearly as good as 2019. Matter of fact East Surry 2019 the best ever in the School History. You don't see many great athletes like that come through East Surry. 

2. MT Airy should be back competing 1AA

3.  Murphy depends on if they go 1AA or 1AA.

4. Swain County

5. Starmount 

6. North Rowan

I enjoy 1A football,  but Not many great 1AA or 1A teams in the West or East.

I agree that there are no great AA/A teams and ES was one last year.  Lowman walked into that talent and we will see what happens without most of the D1 kids.  It will be a crap shoot and 2 years ago E. Duplin had a good young team so lets see how they do in the East.

19 minutes ago, areasportsgeek said:

I agree that there are no great AA/A teams and ES was one last year.  Lowman walked into that talent and we will see what happens without most of the D1 kids.  It will be a crap shoot and 2 years ago E. Duplin had a good young team so lets see how they do in the East.

East graduates a lot but returns a lot. I know Mount airy had a young team last season I'm looking out for them this season. 

38 minutes ago, Mr.Blue&Gray said:

1. East Surry will lose all their skill players to D-1 Schools. Still a team to watch, but i don't think they will be nearly as good as 2019. Matter of fact East Surry 2019 the best ever in the School History. You don't see many great athletes like that come through East Surry. 

2. MT Airy should be back competing 1AA

3.  Murphy depends on if they go 1AA or 1AA.

4. Swain County

5. Starmount 

6. North Rowan

I enjoy 1A football,  but Not many great 1AA or 1A teams in the West or East.

North Rowan is going to depend on the higher, also they are in a weaker conference but they could go far 

MA was very young and made it to the 2nd/3rd round and I believe can make the finals if no injuries.  Their issue will be at RB....IF they can get another very good one then yes, if not..it will be interesting.

6 hours ago, areasportsgeek said:

Why not Swain? Mitchell will take a step back but not a sleeper. Swain is almost always (recently) in the convo but can never get over the hump.

Well they will be 1AA for one. Also they are rebuilding this season. I see them making the 2nd round, maybe the third, depending on their seed. They need to finish higher than 3rd in the SMC to get the decent seed they need to make a run. 

Define over the hump? They won it in '11 and played in it in '12, with regional final appearances in '13 and '14? 93 playoff wins, second only to Shelby's 108?

• Like 1

Over the hump the past few years. Saw them on film 2 years ago and thought they were very talented and physical. Saw them last year and thought the same but not enough juice.  They should be in the convo yearly.

It seems like in 1A just about every year. This could be the match up for December 4th.

For 1A West it will probably come down Murphy or Robbinsville 

1AA  West MT Airy or East Surry 

1AA East Tarboro or Edenton 

1A East is a Mystery at this time.

3 hours ago, Knights said:

1a east will be bad again this year unless a bigger 1aa team drop down. 

I love coming on here and seeing peoples opinions. As for me, I am a coach for a high school in the East where we have less than 200 students and a rural area with very little support from outside the school. It must be nice to have 300 plus students to pull from and have all kinds of money and donors. 

As for what this forum was met to be about most of the teams that I saw listed cant be a sleeper team when you consistently make it to the playoffs. To me that is not a "Sleeper Team"

8 hours ago, Paul Graham said:

both Southside and Northside could be. they have some talent at both schools. I agree about Washington County and Manteo.

Northside had a solid team last year idk who they have returning

Sign in to follow this