Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Don Hines

Wrestling Update

Recommended Posts

The NCHSAA has postponed the first day of the state wrestling tournament tomorrow but said they are working on a plan to have it still finish on Saturday evening.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

postpones first day of individual wrestling championships, moving it to Friday. Plan remains to have tournament completed by Saturday, according to prepared statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per the

release, the state individual wrestling tournament's opening-round on Thursday has been postponed to midday Friday. The body said it is working on a schedule to get the event completed by Saturday night. More updates Thursday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Appvol said:

@Knights Avery put 7 in the finals. Robbinsville got 3.

That’s incredible. Is Avery leading the team scoring? I don’t know how you couldn’t lead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Female 1A 106 weight Heaven Finch has moved to the finals. This could be the first female winner in the boys bracket ever. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GDG said:

That’s incredible. Is Avery leading the team scoring? I don’t know how you couldn’t lead. 

Yeah getting ready to start the finals. 133.5 Uwharrie has 101. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GDG said:

Female 1A 106 weight Heaven Finch has moved to the finals. This could be the first female winner in the boys bracket ever. 

She is going to win it I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GDG said:

That’s incredible. Is Avery leading the team scoring? I don’t know how you couldn’t lead. 

Newton Conover has 4 in the finals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GDG said:

Female 1A 106 weight Heaven Finch has moved to the finals. This could be the first female winner in the boys bracket ever. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Appvol said:

Newton Conover has 4 in the finals.

Only qualified 4 and all in finals. Seems the less kids make states for a team the more success they have. Newton-Conover gets three state champions.

Avery County wins the 1A title. Heck of a year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, MooresvilleDevil06 said:

I know that 4A team race between Hough Laney and Mooresville was super close. Did Hough end up taking that?

Hough 113.5

Laney 109.5

Mooresville 104

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ramheadbut said:

I have watched some wrestling this year in the Triangle area  very disappointing to watch

As a fan of wrestling I totally agree the quality of wrestling is down quite a bit. @ramheadbut you were around some of better state wrestlers in the past. It’s evident the coaching has dwindled at many places to teach only basics. The pace is too slow and stalling needs to be called more.

Are there great wrestlers here in NC? Absolutely. But overall the technical abilities are rare. A highly athletic kid would be destroyed by a kid from PA, NJ, or IA. 195, 220, and 285 looks more like ballroom dancing in this state now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, GDG said:

As a fan of wrestling I totally agree the quality of wrestling is down quite a bit. @ramheadbut you were around some of better state wrestlers in the past. It’s evident the coaching has dwindled at many places to teach only basics. The pace is too slow and stalling needs to be called more.

Are there great wrestlers here in NC? Absolutely. But overall the technical abilities are rare. A highly athletic kid would be destroyed by a kid from PA, NJ, or IA. 195, 220, and 285 looks more like ballroom dancing in this state now.

That’s why I like what Avery has done with there wrestling. When the Griffith dad started the Dogtown Wrestling Club things took off. The kids will take about a week off and they are back in Club going after it. The tournament they went to Bristol,Va was really good. Got to see the 3rd ranked 220 in the Country Kyonte Hamilton that is committed to Rutgers at that tournament. Like I have said the kid coming up for Robbinsville Kage Williams is going to be fun to watch.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robbinsville has 2 good wrestlers at same weight. Williams won MS at 198 and sophomore Fink won HS at 195. One of these 2 will have to wrestle 220 next year. Im guessing here but I'd say Fink stays at 195 and Williams goes 220 but will probably weigh 205 as a freshman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×