Schmo

Minor Named Coach At East Burke

Rate this topic

37 minutes ago, burnstweeter said:

From what I hear, a great hire. Foard should have never let him get away. 

EB got a quality  Coach, a leader on and off the field. Wishing him only the best..

I'm sure the administration  at Foard is not happy with the hire so close to home. Maybe they should have treated the players with more respect.. ex. Updating stats, the politics. I'm sure some players will  consider a transfer a few miles down the road...

Will he be bringing back some of his assistants with him??

• Like 2

I'm sure they're are those who disagree but their league outside of Hibriten is really beatable.  Could be a rapid turnaround !

• Like 2

Outside of Mackey at Hibriten, is Minor the de facto second best coach. Could definitely make that case but would love others input. 

• Like 1

I think Coach Chris Powell has got the Draughn program on the upswing.  Look for them to continue to be a presence in the conference.  They have added a few Freedom players this year.

East Burke is realistically still 3 yrs away from making real noise.  They need numbers and time in the weight room.  But they have a solid man in place to get the ball rolling immediately.  Great hire for this program.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BR549 said:

I think Coach Chris Powell has got the Draughn program on the upswing.  Look for them to continue to be a presence in the conference.  They have added a few Freedom players this year.

East Burke is realistically still 3 yrs away from making real noise.  They need numbers and time in the weight room.  But they have a solid man in place to get the ball rolling immediately.  Great hire for this program.

Draughn got a lot of Freedom and Patton kids to transfer in last year also. Are these kids transferring because they would not start at freedom? 

Has Minor been a good coach? Yes

Does he deserve a good job? Yes

Did East Burke make a good selection? Yes

Can he win more games than East Burke has in the past? Yes

I wish he had applied for more positions a little more down the road, even Freedom. The conference is very weak. That assures more wins with him. East Burke is not a football school. They have little talent. Even 30 years ago they were a defensive team with few skilled kids at 2000 students. I wish him all the luck but don’t expect miracles. It’s Hibriten and nothing in that conference. Good luck because he is going to inherit coaches who he didn’t select and did not motivate kids for many, many years. Watch your back. 

6 hours ago, Hokie4ever said:

EB got a quality  Coach, a leader on and off the field. Wishing him only the best..

I'm sure the administration  at Foard is not happy with the hire so close to home. Maybe they should have treated the players with more respect.. ex. Updating stats, the politics. I'm sure some players will  consider a transfer a few miles down the road...

Will he be bringing back some of his assistants with him??

From what I heard they are trying to give him everything he needs to make East Burke a top football program again!

2 hours ago, GDG said:

Has Minor been a good coach? Yes

Does he deserve a good job? Yes

Did East Burke make a good selection? Yes

Can he win more games than East Burke has in the past? Yes

I wish he had applied for more positions a little more down the road, even Freedom. The conference is very weak. That assures more wins with him. East Burke is not a football school. They have little talent. Even 30 years ago they were a defensive team with few skilled kids at 2000 students. I wish him all the luck but don’t expect miracles. It’s Hibriten and nothing in that conference. Good luck because he is going to inherit coaches who he didn’t select and did not motivate kids for many, many years. Watch your back. 

yes heard Minor turned down two other program's  because he did not want to move! So Time will tell. Right now he is ready to get these kids in the weight room and start rebuilding a program! He has a couple coaches that want to come with him already.

42 minutes ago, GridIronFan said:

From what I heard they are trying to give him everything he needs to make East Burke a top football program again!

He's put the wheels in motion. A Twitter account to communicate and promote the program. Put forth his goals for the team. That's what a leader does! We will make these young men better! On and off the field. He will instill a winning culture. I truly believe there will be transfers from Foard due to the lack of these convictions that's currently at Foard. 

1 hour ago, GridIronFan said:

yes heard Minor turned down two other program's  because he did not want to move!

Just wondering....which jobs did he turn down?

43 minutes ago, Hokie4ever said:

I truly believe there will be transfers from Foard due to the lack of these convictions that's currently at Foard.  

And, do they have to pay tuition to go from Catawba County to Burke County?

Fat Friday with East Burke n Freedom has not been the same for quite a while. Coach Minor may bring this rival back to being more interesting and competitive. 

4 hours ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

Fat Friday with East Burke n Freedom has not been the same for quite a while. Coach Minor may bring this rival back to being more interesting and competitive. 

Let hope so It will be a rebuilding process to get this program and the kids to buy in on the weight room and the process Coach brings to football.  Sounds like Coach Minor is here for the long haul from what I am hearing! I know some people thinks he should have went  to a bigger football program but I heard he like the way the Adm works with the Coaches at EB. Congrats to coach Minor and welcome to the East Burke football . We have been waiting for you for awhile to leads our football team. Good Luck we the boosters are ready also to help in any way we can.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, South Fork fan said:

On the best coach in the conference, Patrick Clark from Bunker Hill was coach of the year in the conference and from Hickory Daily Record. 

Yea, first year guy, "turned the program around." I really think Draughn was better coached last year. Those were the only two coaches who could have possibly received votes for COY. Lots of athletes at Bunker, but coaching and really just football prowess always seem to be missing.  We will see how much improvement comes with the team this year. Could be the one of the worst football conferences ever created.

EB got a good one. I was hoping WC would nab him last year but it didn't work out that way. Seems like nothing usually does when it's the football program. What happens when you have a ad more into 1 sport. Good hire for EB. 

8 hours ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

That would be nice. Back in the day it was a huge game every year. It'll take alot to get it back in shape. I've always thought it funny how when they opened the new high schools, whoever sets rivalries said Freedom and Patton were rivals right out of the gate. Maybe the same with EB and Draughn. Maybe for the kids playing now that rivalry is there. It's a shame they were born after Fat Friday and never got to see some of those games. Totally packing Freedom or especially East Burke stadiums is no small feat. Good luck to EB and coach Minor.

Edited by Pats86
  • Like 2

On 2/4/2020 at 7:34 PM, Yislander said:

Just wondering....which jobs did he turn down?

And, do they have to pay tuition to go from Catawba County to Burke County?

One was Tuscola sounded like a lot of issues there. coach did not want to move far from Hickory!

just hope the kids will buy in to the system and the weight room that Coach Minor will be trying to put in place. watching East Burke last year on a couple of the games two many passes you have a top RB use him that is what Minor did at Foard Tate Beaver and Corey Siemer run first. They have to get kids out that did not play football last year! So far the Administration has been awesome sounds like from talking to minor sounds like East Burke wants Football back. putting in a new track around the stadium as of last week.

He will change the culture.  He's a really good coach.  He had Rockingham headed in a fantastic path.  He didn't get the support he needed.   Very political.  Personally, I think it was dog dirty.  

He will get the absolute best out the athletes that buy into the culture change.   There were parents and kids that pushed back at Rockingham.   To be winners, you have to think and prepare like winners.  

East Burke and Fred T Foard are very similar in type of kids. Country guys who have traditionally worked outdoors, hunted ,and fish which by the way is a lot more fun than sweating in 90 degree heat in the summer. Both are not known for having many players with speed. Both having good baseball and basketball. Just not really a football school.

At East Burke they should run the option. There will always be a couple speedsters for that offense. There biggest obstacle is getting more kids into participation. Same with many more in our area. East Burke will never be a power. Neither will Foard. Both could someday win a lot more than they lose but they absolutely need to keep a coach around longer. East Burke can do it. Not sure Fred T Foard has ever made that effort.

One intangible no one is talking about is the community.  Coach Minor is getting a community fan base that is starving for a successful football program   The cavalier faithful will give him all the support he needs, that's for sure.  I hate to say this, but they are without a doubt, the best football fans in Burke County.  It won't take long for the excitement to perk up down there.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2020 at 3:37 AM, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

Wonder who Coach Minor may bring in to be on his staff, I know he will be working on that this week..... Minor has been hard at work already cleaning up the lock rooms 

Any word about his staff? He expects the dedication he puts into the program. If the kids buy and put in the work, this program will do wonders!!!

1 hour ago, Hokie4ever said:

Any word about his staff? He expects the dedication he puts into the program. If the kids buy and put in the work, this program will do wonders!!!

The assistants there now aren’t leaving. He will have what he is inheriting. Teacher open positions determine hiring priorities. Like most places I imagine someone will be bitter they were not considered. First priority is increase participation. 27 varsity age kids is low even for the decline in this area.

4 hours ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

I think if i had to guess it will be a mix .... I'm sure he bring some of his Loyal guys from maybe Foard, Princeton but I wouldn't be shocked if some old staff stays on esp Buffamoyer since he a vet and you gain experience n knowledge n all but MY Opinion could be wrong so 

Coach is talking to  all coaches next week Monday is his first day at the school!!some old some new he has a couple from two different school ask about helping!

Talking to Coach the year off was a blessing except for being for there for the Seniors he had been with for three years at Foard. Now time to move on and looked to a new era at East Burke Football  no more looking back at his past three years at Foard some good times back to back playoff's for the first time in years also  beating Maiden 16  0 in the first round his second year at Foard was awesome. give him time good things will happen at East Burke!

10 hours ago, DEER0526 said:

Rumor has it from an EB booster is he’s hiring a whole new staff. 

I've never heard of a public school school football coach being able to bring in an entire staff.  Maybe it works out for 1 or 2 but, Like GDG said, got to have job vacancies at the school.  Might can bring in lay coaches but this ain't college or NFL, you don't just pick and choose who you want to add to teaching staff.  Ask any high school coach, filling spots on coaching staff when no/few teaching positions open can be a big frustration.

1 hour ago, Yislander said:

I've never heard of a public school school football coach being able to bring in an entire staff.  Maybe it works out for 1 or 2 but, Like GDG said, got to have job vacancies at the school.  Might can bring in lay coaches but this ain't college or NFL, you don't just pick and choose who you want to add to teaching staff.  Ask any high school coach, filling spots on coaching staff when no/few teaching positions open can be a big frustration.

no you don't have enough teaching jobs you can't do that for sure .maybe two and some part time guys to go with what they have wanting to come back to help. Only College ball can you change a whole staff for sure!!

Talked to Coach Minor at game last night at east Burke BB game! The meet and greet dinner for Monday night is at the school for football. coach said he is getting the weight room classes fixed two many kids in weight room that don't play sports not a good thing for sure. They are working on fixing this several kids did not play football last year but working on getting them out.They just have to get the kids to buy in to what he is trying to do! Getting the middle kids involved for sure a lot for people are ready to get this program in the right direction!!

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 10:51 PM, Yislander said:

Is Buffamoyer staying on as assistant?  In the newspaper article, Buffamoyer says he might like to stay as assistant coach.

They moved him to another school sounds like. so don't think he  will be helping!!

On 2/21/2020 at 9:24 AM, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

Looks like Minor working hard to get the weight lifting program on track and he is already visiting the elementary school students so He is already changing the culture and mindset  #RestoreTheSwords 

Looks like some kids did not play football last year at East Burke they did not like the system that was in place. Kid's in the weight room that did not play sports at all that has to be changed. coach minor has got to change that mind set meet and greet Monday night coach minor's introduction and program information to let parents and players know what his program is all about. #Restore the Swords Can't wait!