Sign in to follow this  
RD28327

Southern Lee seeks new head football coach

Rate this topic

Although I am a avid supporter of their  rival, these young men deserve some consistency over there. I have idea why they can’t keep a coach more than a few years nor will I speculate, Hopefully a solid choice will be made.

Terrible support from the administration.  They do not care about football or sports in general for that matter.  They have hired PE teachers that do not coach sports.  They were so short on coaching staff the AD stepped up and coached a position.  Very few positions on staff were filled by in school personnel which most think is an important ingredient to success.

This is most likely a job for a coach that is finishing up his (uneventful) career or a young guy that just wants an HC position no matter what.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LarryRandolph said:

Great baseball program there though. 

That is a struggle, also.  Field situation is convoluted. 

20 hours ago, btango said:

Terrible support from the administration.  They do not care about football or sports in general for that matter.  They have hired PE teachers that do not coach sports.  They were so short on coaching staff the AD stepped up and coached a position.  Very few positions on staff were filled by in school personnel which most think is an important ingredient to success.

This is most likely a job for a coach that is finishing up his (uneventful) career or a young guy that just wants an HC position no matter what.

Same thing I was told yesterday. The administration doesn't care about athletics. The AD doesn't lend support, and now all the best athletes are moving to LCHS. I disagree though that this is a job for a coach finishing up an (uneventful) career. Anybody who has been teaching and coaching a long time has had an eventful career. It may not include state championships, but maybe helping a kid graduate HS to be the first in his family to go to college. Or housing a student who's family moves their senior year so they can finish school. Teaching and coaching is way beyond X's and O's, it's really about relationships and the Jimmies and Joe's.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, btango said:

This always tells me three things about the administration. All these types of schools all follow the same pattern.

1. The administration thinks that coaches (FB especially) are not very intelligent in the subject that they teach.

2. They are not willing to spend money on the things needed to develop a program. Things like practice equipment, field maintenance, 

etc,  They see FB as a way to make money to be used to fund all the sports that take in no money. A few HS AD's feel this way. They

view FB as a necessary evil. 

3. They view the FB HC as someone who has more power than they do. They are jealous.

I am sure there are other reasons as well, but they all point to the same conclusion that if they treated all HS programs as being important to the extent that they expected every athletic team, band, chorus, art  club, etc. to be the best their school would prosper and the people in the community would have something to be proud of. How many times have we heard people telling other people that they don't their kids going to a certain school while pointing them in another schools direction. 

• Like 3

Apparently there is much mis information out there about the support. Opinions vary but according to people I know on staff there is support for athletics.

26 minutes ago, Steelers71 said:

Same thing I was told yesterday. The administration doesn't care about athletics. The AD doesn't lend support, and now all the vest athletes are moving to LCHS. I disagree though that this is a job for a coach finishing up an (uneventful) career. Anybody who has been teaching and coaching a long time has had an eventful career. It may not include state championships, but maybe helping a kid graduate HS to be the first in his family to go to college. Or housing a student who's family moves their senior year so they can finish school. Teaching and coaching is way beyond X's and O's, it's really about relationships and the Jimmies and Joe's.

I meant "uneventful" to mean wins.  I am total agreement what you are saying.  Sometimes the events are never realized but they are difference makers.

• Thanks 1

Sad news when a coach has the love for the game and the kids but cant get the support needed to run a program effectively. Especially from the people who ought to recognize the importance and impact athletics plays in schools and a communities culture. There are only so many PE positions available at a school or even in a system to place people in those spots who don't coach is very shortsighted on the administrations part. It also tells other prospective candidates that the expectations for athletics is not a priority.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Steelers71 said:

Apparently there is much mis information out there about the support. Opinions vary but according to people I know on staff there is support for athletics.

I know a few coaches that have been there the last few years.  Different sports.  Too many cooks in the kitchen, lack of strong leadership, totally convoluted.  Simple things are made complicated.  

• Like 1

I don’t claim to know much about Southern Lee athletics but I’ve heard some baseball rumors in the last two years. 

But with that said this season they have three D1 pitchers and a UNC commit catching them. 

They could and probably should make a deep playoff run. 

1 hour ago, btango said:

I know a few coaches that have been there the last few years.  Different sports.  Too many cooks in the kitchen, lack of strong leadership, totally convoluted.  Simple things are made complicated.  

I can believe that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Viking Ball Supporter said:

I don’t claim to know much about Southern Lee athletics but I’ve heard some baseball rumors in the last two years. 

But with that said this season they have three D1 pitchers and a UNC commit catching them. 

The current baseball coach did very well at West Stanly and Richmond both W/L and facilities.  Also, got important facility upgrades at Watauga but not an easy place to excel in baseball.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Viking Ball Supporter said:

What type of rumors?

And yes, they should make a deep run this year. 

18 hours ago, Viking Ball Supporter said:

I watched them play a few times last season.  Hitting was very weak.  Fairly strong at all positions except one infield one that hurt them in each game I saw.

A previous assistant told me that a lot of the players there had decided that personal training was better than doing the offseason workouts.  Seems that is the new SOP for a lot of folks.  Not sure if that has continued but I think if you are a good player you are helping the team / teammates if you are at every workout.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SLHSParent said:

Town politics will keep SLHS athletics in a downward spiral. Damn shame for the student body.

I believe you. But what is going on exactly?

48 minutes ago, LarryRandolph said:

I believe you. But what is going on exactly?

Lee Senior supporters on or influencing the BOE & BOC make sure that SL is always treated as second class.  From facilities, to principle staffing, to coaching hires, to destruction of the SL booster club, local politics always makes sure that Lee Senior will be better than SL.    Last football coaching search, SL had the chance to hire a head coach & his OC that both had coached state championship  teams.  Word comes down to the flunky principle at the time, not to hire this coach & his OC.  At the time SL had beaten Lee Senior 3 straight times, and by no means was SL going to get a winning head coach.  The rest is history.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SLHSParent said:

Lee Senior supporters on or influencing the BOE & BOC make sure that SL is always treated as second class.  From facilities, to principle staffing, to coaching hires, to destruction of the SL booster club, local politics always makes sure that Lee Senior will be better than SL.    Last football coaching search, SL had the chance to hire a head coach & his OC that both had coached state championship  teams.  Word comes down to the flunky principle at the time, not to hire this coach & his OC.  At the time SL had beaten Lee Senior 3 straight times, and by no means was SL going to get a winning head coach.  The rest is history.

This is how it has been since SLHS opened. Back in 2007 SLHS was beating the brakes off Lee. A bunch of sold athletes went to SLHS when it opened and dominated the county. There was going to be a change because the old guard of Lee County isn't going to go for that long. SLHS can still be great. Just need to hire somebody who understands this and will build a program kids want to go to instead of going to the other school. Administration has to be on new HC side to make this happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steelers71 said:

This is how it has been since SLHS opened. Back in 2007 SLHS was beating the brakes off Lee. A bunch of sold athletes went to SLHS when it opened and dominated the county. There was going to be a change because the old guard of Lee County isn't going to go for that long. SLHS can still be great. Just need to hire somebody who understands this and will build a program kids want to go to instead of going to the other school. Administration has to be on new HC side to make this happen.

They just filled 2 PE spots with teachers who don't coach any sports. A 3A school that had about 2 coaches in the building last season.  Going to tough for any coach to build off of that as it doesn't appear the administration will be on their side.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, tnation said:

They just filled 2 PE spots with teachers who don't coach any sports. A 3A school that had about 2 coaches in the building last season.  Going to tough for any coach to build off of that as it doesn't appear the administration will be on their side.

How do you hire 2 PE teachers that don't coach? You can't be serious. 

1 hour ago, Steelers71 said:

How do you hire 2 PE teachers that don't coach? You can't be serious. 

This was one of the things that really inflamed a coach I spoke to last year.  If I am not mistaken they had a lady PE teacher that is closer to retirement.  She "coached" tennis but was actually there to drive the bus and do the school requited tasks as a volunteer from the community handled the actual tennis instruction.  Another one did not coach.  They hired a fairly new person that was going to be a football and spring assistant but he informed them before school started he would not coach.  I would have terminated him immediately if at all possible.  

My opinion, if you are a PE teacher you coach unless you are at the very end, like last year, and are getting a well deserved break or there are health complications.  Two sports as an assistant or one as the head coach I would expect would be the minimum.

• Like 1

I, personally don't see anything changing as long as the current admin/Ad stay there. After a football game had ended last season, a player's dad threatened a coach coming off the field, this took place in front of admin, when the coach asked the admin to take care of the situation, admin told the coach, (don't tell me how to do my d..n job). as far as the Ad is concerned, all you have to do is look at Pinecrest forfeiting its entire season with him as the Ad.

It's a shame that it came to them having to leave.  Those coaches were volunteers( like all the rest,  but 2) but they put in numerous hours for years with that program, even with previous coaches. That makes a total of 6/7 coaches who have left in the last 2 years. I've heard before, if they could make Southern Lee a science and math school only, they would. The NCHSAA has put out a radio announcement telling coaches and others that kids get ONE chance to play highschool sports, lets encourage them to be their best. That's a tough sell when you have that many coaches constantly leaving for same conference schools.

Sign in to follow this