Sign in to follow this  
coachE42

Ashbrook High School

Rate this topic

Ashbrook is deep with talent,they just need the right guy at the helm. This could be a really good spot for the right guy.

1 hour ago, SPRaiders78 said:

What year did Andrews go to Ashbrook?

Gazette said he had been there 3 years, Seemed longer to me.

We (myself included) continue to say that Ashbrook could be a sleeping giant if the right guy gets the job.  However, the right guy never seems to get the job evidently.  What is missing?  What do they need to get over the hump?

There is talent in the halls. One issue that has been described to me by a friend who is in the know of Gastonia athletics is that a lot of kids would simply just rather go play at HH. 

I have heard the "there is talent in the halls " thing before and find out from coaches who have taken jobs at those schools that there was no talent in the halls.  Anyway coached against Ashbrook in 2015-2016.  There was some talent on those teams but it was not like Richmond county was out there 

13 minutes ago, ramheadbut said:

I have heard the "there is talent in the halls " thing before and find out from coaches who have taken jobs at those schools that there was no talent in the halls.  Anyway coached against Ashbrook in 2016-2016.  There was some talent on those teams but it was not like Richmond county was out there 

I agree. Don’t know why people keep saying there is talent at Ashbrook given the lack of success with many coaches. Five or six fast kids is not a football team. Blocking and tackling is the root of success.

1 hour ago, ramheadbut said:

I don’t think the talent is there as muck as people want to believe 

I agree. Most of the talent has shifted to Huss. Southwest Middle (Huss feeder) is now the dominate Middle School Team in Gaston County.

I guess it's kinda like Cleveland County. The kids go to school where they have the best shot at

(a) playing and (b) winning

Oh well so much for community pride, hometown spirit.  I think we started loosing all that stuff when the mills that held our communities together started closing. Thanks again President Clinton for your free trade agreement.  It was free for everyone except the American worker.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There really does seem to be a lot of schools that have "talent walking the halls". Sometimes you are what you are. Ashbrook has had some great success in the past but they just have not been able to do it on a consistent basis. You hear the same thing about East Rutherford. They look great getting off the bus every year but it doesn't always translate to wins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wolf4Lyfe said:

There is talent in the halls. One issue that has been described to me by a friend who is in the know of Gastonia athletics is that a lot of kids would simply just rather go play at HH. 

My answer to there is talent in the halls is this. If there are kids in the halls who look like FB players or who once played FB and no longer play there must be a reason. 1. They have never played so they may look like FB players but they are not. 2. They have a job and are not interested in playing FB. 3. They are not athletes. 4. They played as freshmen and found out that FB in HS is far more demanding than FB in MS and they really do not want to put the time into it. 5. They are lazy. 6. They are what we affectionately call Turds! Over my many, many, many years of coaching this is what I have come to realize. If you want to get kids to come out you have to get them when they are freshmen. Many do not come out because they are afraid when they are freshmen. Once they talk to their friends and see that it is not what they were afraid of they come out. Many freshmen who started out and quit will come back out their sophomore year. You will get a few who all of a sudden decide during their junior and senior years that they want to play. Sometimes this ends up well and sometimes it does not. As a coach you try to get these marginal kids in your WL classes and get them interested in playing. When they increase in getting bigger, faster and stronger they gain confidence. The most important thing is to hold them accountable all year long in the area of their grades. This is the number one area with losing kids in their freshman year. If you do not you will have them the first year and never see them again because they will never be eligible after that. Last but not least is that fact that these hall walkers too often Look Like Tarzan, and Run Like Jane.😂

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Glenn said:

My answer to there is talent in the halls is this. If there are kids in the halls who look like FB players or who once played FB and no longer play there must be a reason. 1. They have never played so they may look like FB players but they are not. 2. They have a job and are not interested in playing FB. 3. They are not athletes. 4. They played as freshmen and found out that FB in HS is far more demanding than FB in MS and they really do not want to put the time into it. 5. They are lazy. 6. They are what we affectionately call Turds! Over my many, many, many years of coaching this is what I have come to realize. If you want to get kids to come out you have to get them when they are freshmen. Many do not come out because they are afraid when they are freshmen. Once they talk to their friends and see that it is not what they were afraid of they come out. Many freshmen who started out and quit will come back out their sophomore year. You will get a few who all of a sudden decide during their junior and senior years that they want to play. Sometimes this ends up well and sometimes it does not. As a coach you try to get these marginal kids in your WL classes and get them interested in playing. When they increase in getting bigger, faster and stronger they gain confidence. The most important thing is to hold them accountable all year long in the area of their grades. This is the number one area with losing kids in their freshman year. If you do not you will have them the first year and never see them again because they will never be eligible after that. Last but not least is that fact that these hall walkers too often Look Like Tarzan, and Run Like Jane.😂

I agree with what youre saying. Not everyone is a football player but the right coach motivates kids to want to be apart of something. 

2 hours ago, ramheadbut said:

Wow the demise of Ashbrook blamed on Clinton HAHAHAHAHAHA thats a good one 

Yeah your right, I guess like everything else, it's Trump's fault! 🙈🙉🙊 

It's no one fault and why the politics on a high school message board???????   Factory jobs were lost to technology , they do not use humans like they used to and that's everywhere.   Manufacturing jobs are not lost to China they are lost to machines made in China.  So I did enjoy the rant though( Looks like someone is hopped up on some Hannity ) 

• Thanks 1

Ramheadbut, are you telling me that the textile mills closing did not effect high school football in North Carolina. I'll bet you can go to hundreds of small towns in the state, and old timers would tell you it changed things tremendously.  But not necessarily Ashbrook. Ashbrook wasn't built on a mill hill.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Ramheadbut, are you telling me that the textile mills closing did not effect high school football in North Carolina. I'll bet you can go to hundreds of small towns in the state, and old timers would tell you it changed things tremendously.  But not necessarily Ashbrook. Ashbrook wasn't built on a mill hill.

Bertie, A.L. Brown, Anson, Concord, Cummings..... they've all been affected greatly by mills that have shut down. 

• Like 2

No i am telling you that this has happened all over the country and the world.  Those type of jobs are replaced by machines and that is that   I am from a small coal mining town and as soon as the long wall technology was implemented the time of the miner was in the clock.  It’s called progress my man and it stops for no one.  Now you have schools like Weddington Marvin Ridge Reagan West Forsyth that have replaced some of the fore mentioned schools     And no Clinton is not to blame and Trump can’t bring it back.  

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

Bertie, A.L. Brown, Anson, Concord, Cummings..... they've all been affected greatly by mills that have shut down. 

I can tell u for sure it affected Richmond County....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

No, you must be mistaken. And the mills didn't shut down because jobs were moved overseas. I wonder why 75% of clothing has tags from over there.

• Like 1

Cheaper run machines.   Plus if those jobs were here we would pay $40 for a t shirt  And it’s not about making socks   Look everything is affected to technology.  I am assuming you have a flat screen tv so that technology has hurt the glass industry because it makes the old TVs obsolete.  Do you ride a horse to work no because cars made them obsolete.  It’s how the world works.  Like it or not it is what it is 

No sir.  Machinery had nothing to do with it.  American textile tycoons could have afforded to buy equipment.  Cheep labor is what sent American jobs overseas.  The singing of the above mentioned trade agreement is what allowed the cheep labor to displace American jobs.

Was I, am I a Bill Clinton fan? No.  Did he do anything that helped the USA?  Yes, maybe, I just can't think of any of them right now.

The US would have lost jobs anyway, because of machinery as you say.  But, they would not have lost the entire industry.

Business is in the business of making money and appeasing share holders not creating jobs.  So yes cheaper labor drove jobs to other countries just like they drove the textiles from the north to the south because they, the south paid a peanut wage.  So yes the industry would have left due to that fact.  Non skilled labor will always be a target of technology and advancements just like blacksmith, chimney sweeps, Blockbuster video, Whaling  all have been replaced by technology.  And look industries come and go with advancements , coal is being replaced by natural gas which will be replaced by solar , wind ect.  Internal combustion engine cars will be replaced by electric cars, it is what it is and the only thing to blame is science, technology, and invention

3 hours ago, Wolf4Lyfe said:

Not everyone is a football player but the right coach motivates kids to want to be apart of something. 

A good coach will motivate THE RIGHT kids to want to be a part of something.  There is no use in a coach wasting time trying to make someone like football that never will.  

I can tell you this for a fact, the last 3 years the best football players at ashbrook didn't play. For one reason or another. Drugs, missing too much school, hell one kid was made to get a full time job by his mom if he actually wanted clothes that fit! 

I would like to see Ashbrook more competitive , they have not been the same

I think again if you get the RIGHT fit to help KEEP Kids at Ashbrook instead of Hunter Huss you may could have some success at Ashbrook. Ashbrook still have some talent like stated above so If you get them to stay and get them on the field, you will be in good shape  

1 hour ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

I would like to see Ashbrook more competitive , they have not been the same since Moe Neal left... 

I think again if you get the RIGHT fit to help KEEP Kids at Ashbrook instead of Hunter Huss you may could have some success at Ashbrook. Ashbrook still have some talent like stated above so If you get them to stay and get them on the field, you will be in good shape  

Moe Neal played at Forestview.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, South Fork fan said:

Ashbrook was very good when Boyd played wide receiver back during the mid 2000’ s .   I forgot his first name but he played at UNC.  

Jerenie Boyd

11 hours ago, Wolf4Lyfe said:

I agree with what youre saying. Not everyone is a football player but the right coach motivates kids to want to be apart of something. 

True, and sometimes this works but the kid has to have the desire to play. The vast majority who want to be there are there. I always wanted basketball players to play because they are athletes with great hands and feet. However, many do not make it because they do not like contact. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Glenn said:

True, and sometimes this works but the kid has to have the desire to play. The vast majority who want to be there are there. I always wanted basketball players to play because they are athletes with great hands and feet. However, many do not make it because they do not like contact. 

Very true about basketball players not liking contact.

Name me the sport in the last 15 years Ashbrook has been a threat to win a conference title. I’ll wait.