Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RD28327

Parent charged after tackling student during wrestling tournament

Recommended Posts

And the nut cases keep coming more and more during sports each day. Reminds me of a coach from the Charlotte area who threatened my son after he manhandled their top wrestler and followed him to the bleachers asking him if he wanted to fight him.

I stayed calm but damn if it wasn’t hard. Refs didn’t t do a thing. No law enforcement on site. Opponent was ranked 3 in state in 4A, my son 1 in 2A. Guess they took offense to Newton coming in and destroying eleven teams in 3A and 4A on the way to a state title. The coach also entered the score as a disqualification even though the ref declared it a loss. Recorded it in the national data base as DQ which is not allowed so his guy could look like he didn’t finish with a loss.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an incident when I was coaching baseball at Western Alamance and we played Eastern Randolph at their place. His son made some derogatory remark to the plate umpire after his son was called out on strikes. He charged the umpire. The coach and an administrator handled it pretty well. The umpires came to our dugout and I picked up a bat just in case. His son was booted off the team and his dad was banned from the property from that point on. I am sure his son was a senior. They both deserved what they got.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason parents haven't figured out they make themselves look like idiots, and worse, embarrass their kids for life.  This will never go away for the wrestler whose dad did this.  Grow up people.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GDG said:

And the nut cases keep coming more and more during sports each day. Reminds me of a coach from the Charlotte area who threatened my son after he manhandled their top wrestler and followed him to the bleachers asking him if he wanted to fight him.

I stayed calm but damn if it wasn’t hard. Refs didn’t t do a thing. No law enforcement on site. Opponent was ranked 3 in state in 4A, my son 1 in 2A. Guess they took offense to Newton coming in and destroying eleven teams in 3A and 4A on the way to a state title. The coach also entered the score as a disqualification even though the ref declared it a loss. Recorded it in the national data base as DQ which is not allowed so his guy could look like he didn’t finish with a loss.

I’m surprised Eddy didn’t get a hold of him. You should ask Eddy about the time a Owen parent came out of the stands with a roll of quarters in his hand and sucker punched Averys coach in the back of the head while he was coaching a match.Knocked him out. It was during the conference tournament.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Appvol said:

I’m surprised Eddy didn’t get a hold of him. You should ask Eddy about the time a Owen parent came out of the stands with a roll of quarters in his hand and sucker punched Averys coach in the back of the head while he was coaching a match.Knocked him out. It was during the conference tournament.

Eddy didn’t know until the next day. He was coaching up the next guy but was upset at the eye gouging from the little punk from Hough High. Eddy called the dunghole coach from Hough on Tuesday about the entry in the database and he changed it. Here is the thing about that entry: any wrong entry on a score that reflects on a wrestlers record disqualifies that wrestler from regionals and a trip to the state championships. It was a deliberate attempt to manipulate a seeding process for his guy while taking an actual win from my kid.

Punched a coach during a match huh. That is nuts. Could have killed the Avery coach and sparked an all out riot. I also witnessed something similar.
 

Hickory vs Freedom at East Burke in early 80s. An uncle of a player was mad because his nephew didn’t start. He was yelling obscenities and racial stuff at the Hickory Coach Craft. He was mad because a white kid was starting. He just got up during the middle of the game and sucker punched Hickory’s coach in the back of the head while he coached. That was also in front of the coaches son who is now the AD at Hickory High. Almost sparked a melee as the guy I was sitting beside pulled out his 357 from under his jacket. Same guy with gun had killed a guy in the hood five years prior with a firearm.

Sports bring out the worst in parents. If you really want to know about a person’s character join him for one of his kids games. They can’t hide reality then.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 8:50 AM, Glenn said:

I had an incident when I was coaching baseball at Western Alamance and we played Eastern Randolph at their place. His son made some derogatory remark to the plate umpire after his son was called out on strikes. He charged the umpire. The coach and an administrator handled it pretty well. The umpires came to our dugout and I picked up a bat just in case. His son was booted off the team and his dad was banned from the property from that point on. I am sure his son was a senior. They both deserved what they got.

Glenn, which years were you at Western? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glen, GDG its getting worse with parents. I just had a parent storm the court in a middle of a heated youth league basketball game cursing and hollering. Said she was coming to get her child, but she came angrily and with malice. The other teams parents then went into a frenzy as she was near their children. Lady could have started an all out riot. I told the ref to end the game even when losing as situation was getting testy. Then the parent and I met with county officials about her actions and she couldn't believe I was not defending her because she felt the refs were bad,. I was like lady you nearly caused a riot in a youth league game. As GDG mentioned its not the initial reaction so much but the reaction. You punch the wrong coach, or tackle the wrong kid you go have a mess on your hands. Some people are cool and calm and avoid foolishness, but once its started they cant be stopped. Think Ron Artest. LOL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remembered back years ago watching my sister play on a JV team in basketball at South Iredell. South head coach had got mad the refs for apparently some bad calls. South had lost the game. Anyway I remember the coach for South taking  a fold up chair and slinging it onto the court. I don’t know if anything was done to him or not. It was years ago. But I don’t recall seeing him coaching after that season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had parents at the many schools that I coached over the years who I had to head off at the pass because they were on their way out to the field to protest a call. All three incidents were in baseball. Fortunately (or unfortunately) they were friends of mine. In FB I had a friend of mine (Western Alamance HS) come down giving me the business yelling and screaming a foot from behind me. I turned around and gave him a shove. He lost his balance and fell on his behind, I had heard enough. Everyone in the stadium though that I had slugged him. What a mess. He actually came to my defense with our principal the next day and took full responsibility. Right when I pushed him I realized that my reaction was the wrong reaction but it was too late. I never did that again. You live and learn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Glenn said:

I have had parents at the many schools that I coached over the years who I had to head off at the pass because they were on their way out to the field to protest a call. All three incidents were in baseball. Fortunately (or unfortunately) they were friends of mine. In FB I had a friend of mine (Western Alamance HS) come down giving me the business yelling and screaming a foot from behind me. I turned around and gave him a shove. He lost his balance and fell on his behind, I had heard enough. Everyone in the stadium though that I had slugged him. What a mess. He actually came to my defense with our principal the next day and took full responsibility. Right when I pushed him I realized that my reaction was the wrong reaction but it was too late. I never did that again. You live and learn.

Baseball parents are the worse and it’s not even a physical combat sport where you touch anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is another story and about forgot about. I played little league baseball around about 12 years old. And I seen two coaches get into it while the game was going on. I remembered one of the coach get out a baseball bat threatening the other coach. Things got calm down but again not sure if anything was done with the coach that threatened the other coach with the ball bat. He never hit the other coach with it but I felt he should have lost his coaching job.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chute Boxe Hero said:

I had to ask.  When I played at ER, WA was still in our conference.  However, that was during the early 90's. 

Not a problem. They were in our conference during the 70's as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×