Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Vik-Val 86

UNC basketball

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

Clemson makes history beating UNC for the first time at Smith Center. 

0-59 against UNC home game before today. Roy stated the loss was on him when he forgot to tell the kids to foul with 3 seconds. Carolina is now 8-8 and tied for last place in the conference at 1-4. I honestly believe Williams has lived off the Carolina history while recruiting. In the era of one and done you must win the recruits constantly or be able to coach well.

Some will point to Cole Anthony being out but he is only one player. This week he called his team the least talented he ever had. Even if that were true you should refrain from saying that to the media. Some message boards think he lost this team with his coaching style and they are not responding.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good thing is he will not have any one and done with that record. So those scholarships will be closed next year. I haven’t seen the roster but he better hope a bunch are seniors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say I’m a UNC fan. But I’m not sure if I’ve see a team like this since keeping up with them for years. Definitely a long season for the Tarheels. They should of never gave up the lead they had and let Clemson tie it with 3 secs. left. Oh well your right GDG I don’t see any one and done with that kind of record and the way they are playing.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

I will say I’m a UNC fan. But I’m not sure if I’ve see a team like this since keeping up with them for years. Definitely a long season for the Tarheels. They should of never gave up the lead they had and let Clemson tie it with 3 secs. left. Oh well your right GDG I don’t see any one and done with that kind of record and the way they are playing.  

I am an anti Carolina anything. For me it’s about the liberal school teachings and failure to run clean programs like Dean did. Was a a Duke fan but not really a basketball fan at all anymore. I have never liked Roy Williams coaching. I was a diehard Dean Smith fan when he coached. I think Roy watches more Carolina games than coaching in the actual game. He should buy a ticket and move into the stands. He is known for taking a lot of timeouts home while his team gets further behind.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is tough in Chapel Hill right now, but I will not lose faith.

As for one and done's, what does the team record have to do with it? They are one and done kids because of talent. I bet Anthony enters the draft this year regardless of what happens with the season.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cole Anthony is probably gone no matter UNC's record...plenty of one and dones come off of bad teams--Trae Young, Markell Fultz, Darius Garland. Anthony is actually pretty comparable to Garland in that regard at this point in terms of getting hurt early in the season on a bad team.  Garland was the #5 pick last year.

 

What hurts more is that the guards who had stepped up after Anthony went down--when UNC beat UCLA and Yale--are hurt now, too.  So UNC has natural wings (Leaky Black and Platek) and a former walk-on (KJ Smith) playing the point in a system that doesn't work without excellent point guard play.  Frontcourt is still formidable.  Silver lining is that the only two times in my lifetime I can remember UNC being this bad were 01-02 and 09-10, and UNC bounced back with great recruiting classes both times.  In 02, McCants, Felton, and May came in the next year and ended up getting UNC a championship.  In 2010, Harrison Barnes, Reggie Bullock and Kendall Marshall came in the next year and UNC was great the next fewyears (and possibly would have had another title had Marshall not hurt his wrist in the second round of the tournament).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cole Anthony is really good. Does anyone know if he will return from his injury. I have to say I just haven’t kept up with what is going on with him. It would be good to see him get some playing time with UNC before season ends. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4-6 weeks from Dec. 16.  I just hope the record isn't so bad at that point that he decides to just train for the draft instead of returning, like Darius Garland did at Vandy last year.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DrDoctor said:

unc chapel basketball is suffering from the curse of Silent Sam

Hope so. Journalism majors. Jeez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GDG, I just read your earlier post. Do you think UNC is more liberal than Duke?  At this point in time, I don't think there is a state school in the nation that I would want my child in. And to tell you the truth there are very few private schools anymore, that I would call conservative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2020 at 12:14 AM, SPRaiders78 said:

GDG, I just read your earlier post. Do you think UNC is more liberal than Duke?  At this point in time, I don't think there is a state school in the nation that I would want my child in. And to tell you the truth there are very few private schools anymore, that I would call conservative.

I agree. Government employees who have never held a private job and only attended or worked at a school. That will not change. Duke disallowed a Christian organization as recognized on campus because they were Christians but yet allowed others which were not inclusive. It’s a one way street. Some of the silliest stuff my son and daughters came home saying that came from professors mouths were laughable. Brainwashing at the highest level but it’s the same in high school. Same people who would struggle in the private sector job market.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2020 at 11:41 AM, smashmouth5 said:

Gotta admit, as a Duke fan, I have watched more UNC games this year than I have in a while.😁

Carolina’s losing record will hurt badly during recruiting. Hopefully having to not go to class and having someone write your papers will be a recruiting bonus. Carolina slips to 8-9 with more meat on the schedule going forward.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GDG said:

Carolina’s losing record will hurt badly during recruiting. Hopefully having to not go to class and having someone write your papers will be a recruiting bonus. Carolina slips to 8-9 with more meat on the schedule going forward.

Some of Roy's quotes about this team won't help either, even if true. K knows how to play game and after Dukes 2 game looking streak said in his presser that he won't throw the kids under the bus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anthony will be a lottery pick in the June draft. Heels will go from not making the NCAA tournament this year to a final four contender next year.Roy has one of his best recruiting classes in many years coming in next season.Tar Heels will be back on top next season.Count on it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 10:42 PM, 71K said:

Anthony will be a lottery pick in the June draft. Heels will go from not making the NCAA tournament this year to a final four contender next year. Roy has one of his best recruiting classes in many years coming in next season.Tar Heels will be back on top next season.Count on it.

Those recruits better be the Fab Five with the look of this years team. If Anthony returns they have four slots open. I don’t watch basketball but I’ve caught snippets of some games this year and they have played less than inspired. Final Four? That would be a huge turnaround.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2020 at 10:48 AM, GDG said:

Those recruits better be the Fab Five with the look of this years team. If Anthony returns they have four slots open. I don’t watch basketball but I’ve caught snippets of some games this year and they have played less than inspired. Final Four? That would be a huge turnaround.

Anthony will be gone to the NBA next season.He is a guaranteed lottery pick in the June draft.The Tar Heels lost their top six scorers off last years team...three were 1st round picks in the NBA draft.I expected some rebuilding this season,but not the numerous major injuries to key people that have hit this team.This season is now a wash.Next season will be a complete turnaround.With the five recruits they have coming in next season along with the injured players returning I feel the Heels will be a contender for the final four next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NC Tar Heels lead the way with 4 McDonalds All Americans recruited for next season. Duke has 3 and Kentucky has 2. Look for a big turnaround for the Heels next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 8:59 AM, GDG said:

Carolina’s losing record will hurt badly during recruiting. Hopefully having to not go to class and having someone write your papers will be a recruiting bonus. Carolina slips to 8-9 with more meat on the schedule going forward.

Their record will hurt with recruiting?!? Did you do any research before you posted that, or did you just post it because you thought it was true?  Hasn't hurt at all on the recruiting trail as we have the most recruits selected to the McDonald's All American Game.  This season is an anomaly and won't happen again any time soon.  All the haters should enjoy it while they can.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2020 at 10:48 AM, GDG said:

Those recruits better be the Fab Five with the look of this years team. If Anthony returns they have four slots open. I don’t watch basketball but I’ve caught snippets of some games this year and they have played less than inspired. Final Four? That would be a huge turnaround.

The good thing for next year is that Platek, KJ Smith and transfers from Charleston Southern and William & Mary will be replaced with McDonald's All Americans mixed in with Garrison Brooks (maybe Bacot) and the two guards that have been banged up this year. Roy will finally have multiple big men which he has always had during his Championship runs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 8:59 AM, GDG said:

Carolina’s losing record will hurt badly during recruiting. Hopefully having to not go to class and having someone write your papers will be a recruiting bonus. Carolina slips to 8-9 with more meat on the schedule going forward.

Yea, it really hurt badly back in 2001 when Carolina went 8-20 and signed a class the following year led by Sean May and Raymond Felton and ended up cutting down the nets in St Louis a few years later. With the struggles of the current team -- Carolina just signed 4 of the best high school players in the country. But go on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tyler12 said:

Yea, it really hurt badly back in 2001 when Carolina went 8-20 and signed a class the following year led by Sean May and Raymond Felton and ended up cutting down the nets in St Louis a few years later. With the struggles of the current team -- Carolina just signed 4 of the best high school players in the country. But go on. 

Let me enjoy my hate would you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough loss for UNC to Duke 98-96 in OT. Good rivalry game as usual but UNC with the lead they had should of won without going into OT. I have to say they gave that game away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

Tough loss for UNC to Duke 98-96 in OT. Good rivalry game as usual but UNC with the lead they had should of won without going into OT. I have to say they gave that game away. 

Missed FT's were a killer. Another chapter added to the rilvary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep missed FTs was a killer. A lot of times missed FTs  will cost a team the game. Anyway it’s what it is. One thing can be said, throw out  the record books between these two teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Wake fan, it sure is nice to see UNC suffer for a change.  I guess this year y'all get to experience the joy of college basketball the rest of us get on a nearly yearly basis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Six straight losses. Last place at number 15 in the conference. Losing record. Blaming the kids as not having talent. Roy Williams lost this team long ago. He returns a bunch of these same kids. He needs to evaluate himself and what went wrong because he has talent on this team but no hustle especially at rebounding and second chances.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2020 at 11:18 AM, GDG said:

Six straight losses. Last place at number 15 in the conference. Losing record. Blaming the kids as not having talent. Roy Williams lost this team long ago. He returns a bunch of these same kids. He needs to evaluate himself and what went wrong because he has talent on this team but no hustle especially at rebounding and second chances.

 

Can you tell me all the kids that return next year? 

Also, please explain your rebounding and second chance comment. UNC is 7th in the entire country in offensive rebounds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 10:35 AM, SPRaiders78 said:

As a Wake fan, it sure is nice to see UNC suffer for a change.  I guess this year y'all get to experience the joy of college basketball the rest of us get on a nearly yearly basis.

The 2 Final Fours the past 4 years makes this year a little easier to digest. After the football season we experienced -- it's kinda nice to watch without suffering any near heart attacks. I'm not just a UNC Basketball fan so I'm going to enjoy the baseball and lacrosse (men & women) seasons for the Heels. Congrats on the win last night, great game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Lacrosse 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Yes sir! The men just beat Johns Hopkins this past weekend and the women beat #3 Maryland! GO Heels!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

Glad to see UNC win  over N.C. State last night. 

2 things are a guarantee this time of year...Tax Season, and UNC beating State at basketball.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 6:14 PM, Tyler12 said:

Nice pair of road wins today by UNC Basketball and Baseball. Go Heels!

Nice little 3-game winning streak for the Heels without Bacot. Think that made it 9 guys that have missed at least one game for UNC. Crazy. 

Go Heels!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×