Sign in to follow this  
Don Hines

Shelby Girls Forfeit game to Burns this week

an item of note: Shelby girls team has forfeited it’s Tuesday win over Burns. The team allowed a JV player to dress out and sit on the bench for the game. That apparently violates a rule about competing twice in the same day, so they forfeit that conference win.

15 minutes ago, kms51 said:

Just by sitting on the bench?

yea from what I read. The JV player in question did not play but sat on the bench but was in the score book.

• Like 1

If they dress and set on the bench that is participating.  It is the same in football.  Have seen it with ineligible players being dressed and not playing but the team forfeiting a game.  This is 101.  Should not happen.

Any idea why the coach did this??

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 12:45 AM, btango said:

If they dress and set on the bench that is participating.  It is the same in football.  Have seen it with ineligible players being dressed and not playing but the team forfeiting a game.  This is 101.  Should not happen.

Any idea why the coach did this??

Clearly he didn't know the rule..SMH

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kms51 said:

That's on the coach. But,  if the girl didn't play then they shouldn't have to forfeit 

This type of scenario has been discussed numerous times.  The “they didn’t play, we didn’t know” excuse does not work.

Every coach knows the rule and if they do not they should not be a head coach.  If you dress you are participating.  Rule book 101.  

I do not like forfeits either but there has to be a line.  Suspended the coach a few games?  Lose first one or two home playoff games?

Why was she dressed and on the bench?!?    Should not have played the JV game.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, btango said:

This type of scenario has been discussed numerous times.  The “they didn’t play, we didn’t know” excuse does not work.

Every coach knows the rule and if they do not they should not be a head coach.  If you dress you are participating.  Rule book 101.  

I do not like forfeits either but there has to be a line.  Suspended the coach a few games?  Lose first one or two home playoff games?

Why was she dressed and on the bench?!?    Should not have played the JV game.

You make a great point. It’s on the coach for sure. But some of the rules in high school sports should be different. 

15 hours ago, kms51 said:

That's on the coach. But,  if the girl didn't play then they shouldn't have to forfeit 

By dressing she became eligible, thus the forfeit.

I doubt they would even mention it if they won, but it still would be in the book and could hurt the team later on down the road.

15 hours ago, kms51 said:

You make a great point. It’s on the coach for sure. But some of the rules in high school sports should be different. 

Too many players leave the sideline during a fight on the field team is out of the playoffs.  Too many players get tossed for fighting team is out of the playoffs.

Misuse of the eight quarter rule results in forfeits which can cause a team (ie, Dudley) to miss the playoffs.  

I would prefer to see teams not forfeit and not miss the playoffs.  Lost home playoff game(s) and / or coach suspended for regular season or playoff game(s).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, btango said:

I would prefer to see teams not forfeit and not miss the playoffs.Coach suspended for regular season or playoff game(s).

Totally 100% agree. HC should be the one punished. Players should never be punished. They only do what they are told to do. None of the other players should be punished because they did nothing wrong. That is like me getting a whipping because my brother got in trouble. BTW if he caused me to get a whipping he would definitely get a second one from me.🤣.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 8:16 AM, Paul Graham said:

IF the players break the rules they shouldn't be punished?

Not if they were breaking rules that the coaches were aware of and allowed to happen. In most cases the kids don't know what a lot of the  rules are and rely on the coaches to make sure they are in compliance. Now, if the kid breaks a team rule (missing practice unexcused) or a game rule (fighting) then he/she should be punished.

• Like 1

I see your point. Ineligible players fall directly on the coach, leaving the bench, things like that as well.

How do you levy an appropriate punishment on a team then? And when does the "I didn't know" reply lose its worth? I agree we need to find a better way, but what and when?

Sign in to follow this