Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GDG

Fred T Foard Wrestling

Recommended Posts

2A Foard is destroying everybody in their path from 1A-4A.

4A Mooresville,4A Davie County, 4A West Forsyth, Science Hill, Tenn, Newton- Conover. Large margins of victory over all opponents. They look to be the best team in any classification in the western half of the state. West Lincoln has taken some losses early due to late arrivals from the 3rd round football playoffs and may be the only challengers going forward.

I haven’t kept up with wrestling this year due to a backlog of work. I did talk to a Newton-Conover coach and they are at 9 losses which is the worse season they have had in over 15 years. Is the dynasty over? They look to finish second in the South Fork and May make the playoffs as a wild card team.

The question is who in the east can challenge Fred T Foard or West Lincoln for a duals championship?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GDG said:

2A Foard is destroying everybody in their path from 1A-4A.

4A Mooresville,4A Davie County, 4A West Forsyth, Science Hill, Tenn, Newton- Conover. Large margins of victory over all opponents. They look to be the best team in any classification in the western half of the state. West Lincoln has taken some losses early due to late arrivals from the 3rd round football playoffs and may be the only challengers going forward.

I haven’t kept up with wrestling this year due to a backlog of work. I did talk to a Newton-Conover coach and they are at 9 losses which is the worse season they have had in over 15 years. Is the dynasty over? They look to finish second in the South Fork and May make the playoffs as a wild card team.

The question is who in the east can challenge Fred T Foard or West Lincoln for a duals championship?

They didn’t destroy Avery. Avery forfeited 5 weight classes and only lost 43-31.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Appvol said:

They didn’t destroy Avery. Avery forfeited 5 weight classes and only lost 43-31.

And why was that? They are only missing two weights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GDG said:

And why was that? They are only missing two weights.

Couldn’t tell why Avery forfeited 5 weight classes. Most of the year it’s just been 106 and 113. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Appvol said:

Couldn’t tell why Avery forfeited 5 weight classes. Most of the year it’s just been 106 and 113. 

That was a coach call. Some coaches protect wrestlers records or don’t want their kids embarrassed by some stud which will take the confidence out of a kid who has aspirations of being a champion but finds out he doesn't get out of the first period with a two time state champ and National champ. Looking at the line up pretty sure not all of the starters hit the mat. Scores are always deceiving. Trackwrestling gives a little more insight.

Avery has come a long way the last couple years. They need more bodies to return to the times when they dominated the classification. The roster is very lean at 18 kids. I would say someone is doing a great job at Avery. Winning will get more kids out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, GDG said:

That was a coach call. Some coaches protect wrestlers records or don’t want their kids embarrassed by some stud which will take the confidence out of a kid who has aspirations of being a champion but finds out he doesn't get out of the first period with a two time state champ and National champ. Looking at the line up pretty sure not all of the starters hit the mat. Scores are always deceiving. Trackwrestling gives a little more insight.

Avery has come a long way the last couple years. They need more bodies to return to the times when they dominated the classification. The roster is very lean at 18 kids. I would say someone is doing a great job at Avery. Winning will get more kids out.

They have had some kids dinged up early. One of the kids that won state last year is out this year with a shoulder.Some of the kids that didn’t wrestle against Foard are pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only issue with the Foard program is the coach don't want any of his players to play any other sport other than his sport that is crazy!!That hurts the Football team for sure .Other schools want football to be number 1 not this coach or this program!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pantherfan4u said:

Only issue with the Foard program is the coach don't want any of his players to play any other sport other than his sport that is crazy!!That hurts the Football team for sure .Other schools want football to be number 1 not this coach or this program!

When he was at Newton-Conover Middle he was the best middle school coach for football and wrestling they ever had. He encouraged kids to play both but he also coached both programs. He did not lose a wrestling match for for seven or eight years. Rarely a football game loss. Former Marine with a strong policy on conduct, dress code, and behavior. I saw his standards of operation policies (SOP) for his players. Strict and detailed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fred T Foard won the conference regular season by going undefeated. They won their last match 77-0 over Hibriten. Foard ends the season at 42-0 and their seventh straight conference title. Since hiring Mike Cary they won the conference every year of his high school coaching career except his initial season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 5:26 AM, Pantherfan4u said:

Only issue with the Foard program is the coach don't want any of his players to play any other sport other than his sport that is crazy!!That hurts the Football team for sure .Other schools want football to be number 1 not this coach or this program!

This is not true. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if one doesn’t care for him as a coach or person more power to you it is a free country. But i have had 2 kids go thru the program and that hasn’t been mentioned once. Not to me and not to my sons and not by ANY other parents. I have had conversations with him regarding some of the kids being active in other sports and it sounded to me as if he supported it. Some of the kids simply love wrestling and do it year round. Wrestling is a sport that can allow a kid who isn’t a freak athlete excel. Many Foard wrestlers play multiple sports including my oldest son. Sometimes football and wrestling rub bc they overlap. Not saying that’s right or wrong. No one or no thing is without fault, but this isn’t it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Angles said:

This is not true. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if one doesn’t care for him as a coach or person more power to you it is a free country. But i have had 2 kids go thru the program and that hasn’t been mentioned once. Not to me and not to my sons and not by ANY other parents. I have had conversations with him regarding some of the kids being active in other sports and it sounded to me as if he supported it. Some of the kids simply love wrestling and do it year round. Wrestling is a sport that can allow a kid who isn’t a freak athlete excel. Many Foard wrestlers play multiple sports including my oldest son. Sometimes football and wrestling rub bc they overlap. Not saying that’s right or wrong. No one or no thing is without fault, but this isn’t it. 

I agree with you, Angles.  From my experience and all my sources, the wrestling coach does NOT have the reputation of being against multi-sport participation.  Sounds to me like sour grapes from one person who has a beef with Foard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Yislander said:

I agree with you, Angles.  From my experience and all my sources, the wrestling coach does NOT have the reputation of being against multi-sport participation.  Sounds to me like sour grapes from one person who has a beef with Foard.

Believe what you want to but facts are facts. we will leave it there!! several people have noted this not just one several have gone that have witness this first hand two are in college now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Mike Cary was at Newton-Conover he coached both boys football and wrestling. He also came to the home basketball games to support the kids. His teams most years won the conference. He’s a big fan of football.

The kids who wrestle at Foard do a lot on their own as far as tournaments in the off season. That’s just how successful programs become more successful. When you are a state power in a sport kids elevate their work ethic and tend to lean to sports that don’t overlap any. The obstacle for FTF is they became a wrestling power while football has had 50 years of losing seasons. That is difficult to overcome.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×