Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hughes

Forbush Head Coaching Position

Rate this topic

Chris Johnson has just informed his team that he's no longer the head football coach at Forbush, as he and the school are parting ways after 10 years on the job.  He had a great season this year leading the Falcons to a 7-5 record.

Johnson is a very good football coach, he came to Forbush after a successful run as a coordinator at Mount Airy and I have no doubt that he'll land a job somewhere else soon, either as a head coach or a coordinator. 

43 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

Chris Johnson has just informed his team that he's no longer the head football coach at Forbush, as he and the school are parting ways after 10 years on the job.  He had a great season this year leading the Falcons to a 7-5 record.

Johnson is a very good football coach, he came to Forbush after a successful run as a coordinator at Mount Airy and I have no doubt that he'll land a job somewhere else soon, either as a head coach or a coordinator. 

Any potential candidates?

1 minute ago, 336footballer said:

Any potential candidates?

I haven't really put a list together yet, I still am trying to figure out what is going on.  I'm hearing that they do have some guys on staff that could be next in line. 

Outside of the staff, here are some guys I would seriously look at from the area. 

Richard Burton - Reagan DC

Caleb Pardue - West Brunswick DC

Jason Lippard - East Gaston HC

Ben Hepler - West Stokes Asst.

Sean Joyce - West Forsyth OC

Jason Smith - Reagan Asst.

Alex Tesh - North Davidson DC

Paul Hall - Former R.J. Reynolds & South Stokes head coach

Marlon Morris - Trinity DC

Jon McIntosh - West Forsyth DC

David Lewis - North Iredell HC

Andrew Yeager - West Forsyth Asst.

David J. Diamont - Piney Grove Middle

Chris Doby - Ledford DC

I was shocked to hear of this news.  I saw Forbush play a few times this year and they were well prepared and well-coached.  Also, I understand they have a fairly young team.  With 7 wins being the most this school has had in quite a while and with talent returning it seems like the school would want to keep some consistency.  The players played hard for Coach Johnson so that can't be the issue.  I understand they have a fairly new principal and a fairly new AD - something seems fishy to me.  Why would a school get rid of a Coach with state championship experience who just had his best season at a school that is not known for having powerhouse teams and who was going to return a big group of starters on both sides of the ball?  Sounds to me like some parents had some pull somewhere.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WTBCH said:

I was shocked to hear of this news.  I saw Forbush play a few times this year and they were well prepared and well-coached.  Also, I understand they have a fairly young team.  With 7 wins being the most this school has had in quite a while and with talent returning it seems like the school would want to keep some consistency.  The players played hard for Coach Johnson so that can't be the issue.  I understand they have a fairly new principal and a fairly new AD - something seems fishy to me.  Why would a school get rid of a Coach with state championship experience who just had his best season at a school that is not known for having powerhouse teams and who was going to return a big group of starters on both sides of the ball?  Sounds to me like some parents had some pull somewhere.  

Does sound strange. Was it a Daddy Ball program? Is this a rich community?

22 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

I haven't really put a list together yet, I still am trying to figure out what is going on.  I'm hearing that they do have some guys on staff that could be next in line. 

Outside of the staff, here are some guys I would seriously look at from the area. 

Richard Burton - Reagan DC

Caleb Pardue - West Brunswick DC

Jason Lippard - East Gaston HC

Ben Hepler - West Stokes Asst.

Sean Joyce - West Forsyth OC

Jason Smith - Reagan Asst.

Alex Tesh - North Davidson DC

Paul Hall - Former R.J. Reynolds & South Stokes head coach

Marlon Morris - Trinity DC

Jon McIntosh - West Forsyth DC

David Lewis - North Iredell HC

Andrew Yeager - West Forsyth Asst.

David J. Diamont - Piney Grove Middle

Chris Doby - Ledford DC

Jeremy Funderburk - Starmount Assistant. Did good at Wilkes Central. Would he be interested getting back to being a HC?

Tom Harper

I'm not a fan of this move at all. Chris was a friend to me and one of the few HC's i've gotten along with over my run.  When we played JV games at North we would always tell jokes and talk Ball.. I'll miss him quite a bit and it will feel odd every year now.  He's a great Football mind and a good fella, I hope he gets another HC job. West Wilkes would be perfect for him.. same kind of kids and not far off from maybe a nice run. Plus they play Forbush every year.. hmm.

I wasn't crazy about how Forbush's principal talked in the article, it seemed they were blaming him for their faults this past decade.. so, so wrong there. If it wasn't for Chris the program wouldn't be where it is now. Forbush was a joke back when I played.. their previous HC ran the program into the ground after a nice run in the mid 00's and Starmount had almost all of the good Yadkin county kids. We beat them 123-10 the 2 years I played JV ball and beat them solid my senior year.  They were  beyond pathetic when he took over but it took just 4 years to get a winning team which was tremendous for what he had to build. He underperformed a little in some years but that's the fault of where they were placed, Forbush shoulda never been in the WPAC, put them in the MVAC they'd be a solid 7 win team most years. Chris honestly coulda left them after 2013 or 2014 and got a solid job and they would have never recovered but he was a man of his word and stayed.

This group was the group he waited for and built up.. I'm honestly are not sure if they will reach their potential or not now. I honestly hope they don't after how they treated Chris, if he had won 2-3 games last year I can understand but you win 7 and make the playoffs and 2 JV titles? Not smart. I morally can't support them anyways.  If they do turn out alright they will be good the next 2 years, after that not sure. Their JV team this year wasn't as good as 2018's, they were bad on defense but got lucky and split the conference title.

As for favorites.. I see Funderburke being a solid one. He started at Forbush as their DC for a ton of years.. started under Monty Davis and finished under Mitchell in 2004. Used that 2 year run to get the Wilkes Central job. It would be a homecoming for him if he wants it.  I also see Pardue at Elkin maybe wanting the job too. He's a Yadkin boy and would fit well there.  Granted he's AD at Elkin but I think he'd want to be an HC again sooner rather than later as they will drop a bit after this coming year.  They could also maybe try one of the East Surry guys.. Whitt their O line coach played for Surry Central in the day and knows Forbush well. If he's still at Wilkes Central Hunt who used to be HC at West Wilkes could do okay.  They could also go after Mitch Reeves as well.. he's a year or two ahead of me but has several years of HC experience and honestly did a solid job at Walkertown in his interim year.

18 hours ago, WTBCH said:

Forbush no lie has the weirdest fanbase out of all the schools we have consistently played with the exception of the Winston schools. When they are good they are loud and annoying but when they  are bad the fans barely show up at all and are quite anemic, at times pathetically so. There's been times down in East Bend when their huge stands barley had anyone in them and even In 2016 when their JV team was so beyond awful they had 4 or 5 fans show up for our game up in Toast.. yikes.

I will say the JV parents the past few years have been kinda rude to him over playcalling and various things I can hear it in the box.. a lot of it's old timers stuck in the old wing/split back offenses of their day and trying to tell Chris to run it more which he did anyways during those games.. yeah they aren't too bright.  I'm willing to bet that had a large reason why, that junior class is decent in player #'s and they have a lot of pull.  When a school sells out to a group of parents things aren't gonna go well most of the time.

16 hours ago, Slashman said:

Forbush no lie has the weirdest fanbase out of all the schools we have consistently played with the exception of the Winston schools. When they are good they are loud and annoying but when they  are bad the fans barely show up at all and are quite anemic, at times pathetically so. There's been times down in East Bend when their huge stands barley had anyone in them and even In 2016 when their JV team was so beyond awful they had 4 or 5 fans show up for our game up in Toast.. yikes.

I will say the JV parents the past few years have been kinda rude to him over playcalling and various things I can hear it in the box.. a lot of it's old timers stuck in the old wing/split back offenses of their day and trying to tell Chris to run it more which he did anyways during those games.. yeah they aren't too bright.  I'm willing to bet that had a large reason why, that junior class is decent in player #'s and they have a lot of pull.  When a school sells out to a group of parents things aren't gonna go well most of the time.

It's all making sense if this is actually the truth. A great reason to leave. Thank you for sharing Slash

Forbush has two double digit winning seasons in over fifty years and they fired this guy!

• Like 1

Forbush at one time was in the Foothills Athletic 3A Conference  with Statesville, South Iredell, West Iredell, North Iredell,  Wilkes  Central,  and North Surry from 1985-89. They were horrible in football at that time.

On 1/10/2020 at 9:46 PM, Mr.Blue&Gray said:

Forbush at one time was in the Foothills Athletic 3A Conference  with Statesville, South Iredell, West Iredell, North Iredell,  Wilkes  Central,  and North Surry from 1985-89. They were horrible in football at that time.

Much like they have been most of this decade in the WPAC they shouldn't have been in that conference.. we shouldn't have either but we at least competed until it ended in 1996 along with Wilkes Central.  Forbush just wasn't meant for 3A ball at that point.. it got so bad in 1986 they had to fold their JV's as they had nowhere near enough kids to finish on either level. If it wasn't for Johnson they would have struggled just as badly in the WPAC. 

I wouldn't be suprised if that happens in a few years once this 1 class is gone. They haven't had really good numbers since the mid 00's. They had less than 30 kids a majority of Chris's run (in 2017 we beat them to win the JV conference title and we had a running clock in the 2nd half due to their QB getting hurt they were down to 13 kids.) Their ADM's have dropped a ton too, they are small 2A now with around 800 kids and that's never happened since it opened (Yadkin County's losing people pretty solid.)  Both them and Starmount's in a rough patch, but when Forbush isn't a 2AA it is an odd day indeed.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this