Sign in to follow this  
hbnw

Thomasville HC Search

Rate this topic

I’ll start it...with Coach Robertson leaving for Page where does THS look?  Coach Robertson has done a great job bringing pride back to THS football and I’m sure he will be missed.  

On 1/1/2020 at 1:06 AM, Glenn said:

Anyone on the staff being considered?

Tim Bagamary is the offensive coordinator and would be an excellent choice, but I have a strong feeling that he'll most likely be joining Doug Robertson at Page.  

I don't know that Kevin Gillespie even has the desire to be a head coach in N.C. anymore, but if he wanted to, this would be the perfect spot for him, giving his past history as a coach and the location in relation to where he lives. 

Here are a few coaches that I would consider if I were the admin at Thomasville. 

Benjie Brown - Montgomery Central

Laymarr Marshall - Parkland

Seth Baxter - SW Randolph

Clayton Trivett - Central Davidson

Chris Vaughan - OC at Glenn

Damon Coiro - Southeast Guilford

James Johnson - DC at Richmond Co. 

Daniel Yow - South Rowan

Rob Creason - DC at Oak Grove

Aaron Beal - DC at East Forsyth

Alex Tesh - DC at North Davidson

Andrew Stone - OC at Ledford

• Like 1

There are many names in the area who are current Coordinators who would be a great candidate. I want a guy from a winning and established program. North Davidson has an OC & DC who would be strong candidates. I like Beal from East Fo but he will never come to Tville . Also , Trivett from CD played here back in the day . I’m worried about interest level for this job . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bulldog1999 said:

I’m worried about interest level for this job . 

And rightfully so, I think that the interest level is down for this job.  Typically when a job opens, my phone rings off the hook, but more coaches have been cautious in their questions about Thomasville this time.  Robertson told me that this school can still be the powerhouse it once was, that talent is still there, but says that everything and everyone needs to come together to allow it to happen.  I couldn't agree more.  That's why I would throw the farm at Benjie Brown to come back, because he could get the old crowd back in it, the money, the support, and the admin on board.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bulldog1999 said:

Do HC at TVille still make decent money? If i remember correctly they use to make a bit more than other schools in Davidson. 

I'm sure it's still a 12-month teaching job with a very good coaching supplement. 

Does he want to continue at MC ? He did beat Thomasville  this year. Only time will tell.

Edited by Wmhs1992
said same thing twice
  • Like 1

I personally think that Coach Brown returning is a stretch, but you never know, home can sometimes be a huge appeal to some coaches.  The one coach who I think does make the most sense is Laymarr Marshall at Parkland.  He's been very successful at the highest of levels, did a great job at both Mount Tabor and this year at Parkland, and checks a lot of boxes professionally, being a graduate of both Duke and Wake Forest, and having been a very good player in the ACC, and having college coaching experience. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr.Blue&Gray said:

That would be something if Benjie Brown return to Thomasville.

That would shock me!  I think he wants to build MC and then retire.  But it is an interesting thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Hughes said:

I personally think that Coach Brown returning is a stretch, but you never know, home can sometimes be a huge appeal to some coaches.  The one coach who I think does make the most sense is Laymarr Marshall at Parkland.  He's been very successful at the highest of levels, did a great job at both Mount Tabor and this year at Parkland, and checks a lot of boxes professionally, being a graduate of both Duke and Wake Forest, and having been a very good player in the ACC, and having college coaching experience. 

I think Laymarr may be the perfect man for this job!  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

Tim Bagamary is the offensive coordinator and would be an excellent choice, but I have a strong feeling that he'll most likely be joining Doug Robertson at Page.  

That is the information I am getting.

8 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

I don't know that Kevin Gillespie even has the desire to be a head coach in N.C. anymore, but if he wanted to, this would be the perfect spot for him, giving his past history as a coach and the location in relation to where he lives. 

My understanding is that he is headed to SC.

I don’t see anyway they get Laymarr unless they just throw a ton of stuff his way . Bagamary would’ve been my choice but he’s heading to page as well . They need to start as soon as possible. Spring ball is coming in a hurry

On 1/2/2020 at 10:00 AM, Chris Hughes said:

what was the deal at Asheboro? I know they are down, but I thought he'd do a good job there. 

Got a couple friends that teach and coach at Asheboro and they said Administration has been awful since Dt. Toth left. 

For one, can Thomasville come close to paying Brown what MC is? And I think he is going to build this program up like Eddins did WM and retire. This county is taking well care of him, could be wrong but he likes it here. Thomasville is in his rear view mirror.

This is a hot topic on another site, and Coach Brown's name is topic of every post.  I know we all have our opinions but, if they called him he would at least listen due to history.  I'm sure that it would pull at the heart strings of him and his dad to possibly have a chance to help the program return to what they built. Like one poster stated, I do feel this job needs a coach with some experience and the school, program, and community need to get the right person in place to continue on what coach Robertson was doing. 

On 1/3/2020 at 1:00 PM, LarryRandolph said:

what was the deal at Asheboro? I know they are down, but I thought he'd do a good job there. 

Got a couple friends that teach and coach at Asheboro and they said Administration has been awful since Dt. Toth left. 

A longtime coach at Asheboro told me the Principle and AD was upset because Gillespie was brought in without their input. They had interviews set up and they were bypassed. The ACSS that brought Kevin in was his Principle at Page from what I understand. With turmoil between the administration I haven't heard but one name associated with that job and that is Seth Baxter. 

Brown is getting the opportunity to build a team from scratch at a new countywide school.  I would stick to that commitment. He and his father did their part for Thomasville.  Not fair to expect them to come back.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BLueDawg said:

A longtime coach at Asheboro told me the Principle and AD was upset because Gillespie was brought in without their input. They had interviews set up and they were bypassed. The ACSS that brought Kevin in was his Principle at Page from what I understand. With turmoil between the administration I haven't heard but one name associated with that job and that is Seth Baxter. 

Yeah, Why leave SWR for AHS right now? 4-6 years ago, yes, not now though. 

5 hours ago, LarryRandolph said:

Yeah, Why leave SWR for AHS right now? 4-6 years ago, yes, not now though. 

Asheboro without a doubt is a much better situation than SWR. Much better athletes. Better facilities.

24 minutes ago, Bulldog1999 said:

Saw on another prep site that Tripp Huneycutt would be a good fit . Not sure who he is . Any help? 

Honeycutt * 

big time coach from Davidson County who is current OC at ND. Went to ND so I’m not sure his interest level Or if he wants to leave. I think people around the ND community expect him to be next HC but if he’s eager to be a HC , thomasville should take a look. Super smart for his age and experience. 

I don’t foresee the Brown’s returning to THS. I think they had a great run and now they are content to build something new in Montgomery County. Plus, I think MC has more to offer at this point than Thomasville. From @Chris Hughes list above I would not discount Clayton Trivett @ CD. He has executed a tremendous turnaround at Central that is overlooked statewide. When he arrived at CD the program was beyond a dumpster fire. Now, the question becomes, does he have any interest? Some people like going home, some don’t. I do not know Trivett so I will not speculate. I know he doesn’t have the name recognition as others on the list but his work speaks for itself. Remember, at some programs 6-5 IS a miracle.

• Like 1

I'm not saying what Coach Brown will or will not do. Anyone that thinks the Thomasville job is better than the Montgomery Central job needs to realize this is 2019. The days of Thomasville striking fear in the hearts of opponents is long gone. They can join Lexington in the used to be's of Davidson County. Not slinging insults, just stating the facts. If Coach Brown chooses to leave, which is highly unlikely, I wish him the best. The talent that is in place at MC is pretty damn impressive. The kids and parents went through some growing pains but with the way Coach Brown handled the issues from last season he established himself as THE leader of that entire school. He has a chance to build not only a program, but a culture. Montgomery Central has an advantage over Thomasville. Potential to grow. Thomasville is heading toward consolidation or irrelevance. Whichever comes first. As far as TOS, or the "tarheel recruiting assistance site", they can say whatever they want. There is only one person that knows. 

i hope thomasville makes a good hire.  i think they were headed in the right direction the last few years, despite continuing to struggle with numbers.  specific to Benjie and MC, respectfully, I think the principal of the new high school is the head of the school, not Benjie.  and i'll say this again, the folks in Montgomery county need to level set their expectations of their football program by being realistic about their talent.  to say the talent in place is pretty damn impressive, quite frankly is laughable.  you are a 3a school now, this isn't pee wee league.  sure, there's some growing pains in year 1 in trying to transition 2 schools, but the problems with MC was moreso they didn't have the horses to compete against the better teams on their schedule, not even close really.  Look at the scores of the games against the better half of their schedule, it was blowout city.  That doesn't happen to a school with a pretty damn impressive collection of talent.  

Not a place for coaching longevity. There is a reason for short term employment. They had a decent record against bad teams and are in a really bad conference. Before you apply ask yourself these questions. Can stomach the disciplinary issues of one parent or no parent kids? What will my mentality be when lack of community financial support is evident? These are real issues but if you want to be a difference maker in kids lives you may be the guy.

The best thing that could ever happen to Thomasville is that they be governed by Davidson County and districts be redrawn. This is a destination for a man with a stern background and a real passion for making a difference in lives. Last time I saw a Thomasville sports team they had four fans in the stands with a good team. Not a single parent to be found. Unbelievable what kids endure. Unbelievable.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GoNtheDistance said:

i hope thomasville makes a good hire.  i think they were headed in the right direction the last few years, despite continuing to struggle with numbers.  specific to Benjie and MC, respectfully, I think the principal of the new high school is the head of the school, not Benjie.  and i'll say this again, the folks in Montgomery county need to level set their expectations of their football program by being realistic about their talent.  to say the talent in place is pretty damn impressive, quite frankly is laughable.  you are a 3a school now, this isn't pee wee league.  sure, there's some growing pains in year 1 in trying to transition 2 schools, but the problems with MC was moreso they didn't have the horses to compete against the better teams on their schedule, not even close really.  Look at the scores of the games against the better half of their schedule, it was blowout city.  That doesn't happen to a school with a pretty damn impressive collection of talent.  

Talent comes in cycles, sir, much as with your evidently beloved Tarheels (Now 8-7?).  Yes, we in Montgomery County MUST be patient, and realize that it will take time to build this program. I hope that Coach Brown stays. He told me recently that he expects that it will take the first 3 seasons of taking our lumps before this program gets to be more competitive. The principal of the new school is a great administrative leader, but Coach and Athletic Director Benjie Brown is the ATHLETICS LEADER of the Timberwolves.  Hopefully he remains so, and we as supporters show the patience that we should.

• Like 1

Benji Brown aint never returning to Tville. You go/stay where people appreciate you. Thomasville, Lexington, Cummings, Lincolnton. Pick your poison. Small town inner city issues. 

On 1/6/2020 at 5:51 PM, 336footballer said:

Honeycutt * 

big time coach from Davidson County who is current OC at ND. Went to ND so I’m not sure his interest level Or if he wants to leave. I think people around the ND community expect him to be next HC but if he’s eager to be a HC , thomasville should take a look. Super smart for his age and experience. 

I’ve been hearing the AD is very high on Honeycutt.  He’s never coached at a place like Thomasville.  So I don’t know if he can handle that situation.  I think Thomasville needs to look at some former players that are coaching.  If not they might be in the same boat here in a year or two.  Time will tell.  

9 hours ago, Tigers#1 said:

I’ve been hearing the AD is very high on Honeycutt.  He’s never coached at a place like Thomasville.  So I don’t know if he can handle that situation.  I think Thomasville needs to look at some former players that are coaching.  If not they might be in the same boat here in a year or two.  Time will tell.  

As a Tville Alum, i understand what you mean when you say he’s never coached at a place like it. He was at Glenn for one year which has similarities. I’ve talked to people in the midway community ( where i live now ) and they hold the Honeycutt’s in incredibly high regard . His dad is a coach . He’s been around it forever . Idk if he will end up being the guy, and I’ve never met him and wouldn’t know him if i saw him, but i do think from what I’ve heard he will be here for as long as they’d keep him and i think he’d win! He’s won everywhere he’s been . So let’s no write a man off until he gives us a reason ! Go Bulldogs .

9 hours ago, Tigers#1 said:

When he was at Northern , i met him and we spoke many times . Incredible young man. Was to many of the players the coach they went too when something was on there mind or heart. Just a good dude . You will not find a more respectful and intelligent young coach. Wish he never left NG but the pull to go back to ND and be the OC there was too strong and was understandable. 

On 1/8/2020 at 3:26 PM, GoNtheDistance said:

For someone that doesn't have ties to Montgomery County it definitely appears that we are living rent free in your head. You stalk us religiously and seem to have an opinion on all things going on. What you should do is get a hobby outside of bashing fans on a high school football forum. And yes, we have high expectations. And those expectations don't include forfeiting seasons, blatant cheating violations and questionable integrity among our coaches. My advice to you is to try and get Mack to coach your pathetic excuse for a basketball team, move back over to the "tarheel recruiting service" site and get a damn life. Montgomery Central will be fine with Coach Brown and will be a factor soon enough. It's obvious this is your outlet for whatever reason. Sad...very sad. Seek help. 

22 minutes ago, WM1977 said:

For someone that doesn't have ties to Montgomery County it definitely appears that we are living rent free in your head. You stalk us religiously and seem to have an opinion on all things going on. What you should do is get a hobby outside of bashing fans on a high school football forum. And yes, we have high expectations. And those expectations don't include forfeiting seasons, blatant cheating violations and questionable integrity among our coaches. My advice to you is to try and get Mack to coach your pathetic excuse for a basketball team, move back over to the "tarheel recruiting service" site and get a damn life. Montgomery Central will be fine with Coach Brown and will be a factor soon enough. It's obvious this is your outlet for whatever reason. Sad...very sad. Seek help. 

You are really criticizing someone else for bashing fans and programs on a high school football forum?!? You couldn't even make it through a post about the search for Thomasville's next head coach without mentioning UNC...so in all actuality, the University of North Carolina has a permanent spot reserved in your head!! 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this