Sign in to follow this  
coachmp

West Wilkes

Rate this topic

On 12/27/2019 at 7:11 PM, coachmp said:

Job was posted online but nothing I can see online or on a news feed.

If the school doesn't put out a release, or if the local media doesn't know about it, it won't be mentioned.  I'll check it out, they came close to a home run hire last year when Salisbury head coach Brian Hinson nearly accepted it, but that didn't happen.  It's a nice community, but is the talent there to win on a consistent basis?  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

If the school doesn't put out a release, or if the local media doesn't know about it, it won't be mentioned.  I'll check it out, they came close to a home run hire last year when Salisbury head coach Brian Hinson nearly accepted it, but that didn't happen.  It's a nice community, but is the talent there to win on a consistent basis?  

From my personal opinion - I could be wrong but I do feel like  Wilkes co school struggle in athletics so I do agree there maybe not enough talent to sustain success on a consistent basis 

Talents wise its some talent especially at Wilkes central and North Wilkes and east Wilkes. West wilkes is a little behind. I know I'm new here on this site but I live in millers creek and west Wilkes is a great area and I will take the right coach. 

• Like 2

I haven't heard anything but I'll ask around.. 

West has always been a very topsy turvy program.. in their good years they can be really annoying and downright dominant like the early 00's, but when they are bad they can be really, really awful like the past 3 years.  They just have no internal structure right now and haven't really since at least Hallock's run.  They lost their best player as he transferred to Elkin  and they haven't found a way to make up for him yet.  This year they just had no horses to be game changers That being said I thought the guy did a decent job with them improving them thru the season on the film I watched. They got better at running the I as the year went along and they played a lot harder.. just had no talent to do much of anything. When you can't beat Grayson County things are dire.

JV wise they have some potential coming up, they had one of the MVAC's best defenses on JV last year. Their middle school team wasn't bad either. They won't be as dominant as the 00's teams but I can see them being a solid 6-7 win team in a couple of years if they get the right guy. They have their spurts and they are due for one.  But if they keep changing coaches the kids won't come out and they will be lost for a while longer. They gotta find someone tough enough to handle the drama.. West is supposedly big on that.

Miller's Creek is a beautiful place and I love their stadium.. I wish they could get a contender there again. 

I knew the job was open for a couple weeks and I know one of the guys they want for the Job and he would be a great hire and is someone the kids would play for but has not made up his mind yet. The biggest  thing with the West Job is dealing with the parents as their seems to always be drama in some way shape or form because they fill like their kid is not "Playing Enough" or this or that. I know this because its my alma-matar so I know how it works. I would love nothing more than to see Blackhawk football get back to 5-7 wins a year at least on a average basis and its gonna take somebody who will stay committed and not fall victim to the "Political" machine because at times it can be tough to deal with. 

I think this is a job for someone who went to the school, who's more invested in the community, and is willing to get in deep, get their hands dirty, and build this program from the youth levels up, and also in the weight room.  For this to happen, it would also take a serious commitment by the administration to see it through, and be willing to go through some lean years in order to get the goal.  

Now with that said, there is one coach from the Triad with a pretty decent resume who is researching this job and is potentially going to put in his application by today's deadline.  We'll wait and see. 

• Like 2

On the surface, Wilkes County would appear to have too many high schools but the county is massive in size.  Having four schools is about geography.    It's a long haul from East Wilkes to West Wilkes campuses and a long way from North to anywhere.   West has been down for a while but a turnaround is possible.  Example: North Wilkes.  They,  for many years were a doormat but quite competitive now.  East Wilkes had a nice run for several years and Wilkes Central is always a worthy team. 

10 hours ago, Schmo said:

On the surface, Wilkes County would appear to have too many high schools but the county is massive in size.  Having four schools is about geography.    It's a long haul from East Wilkes to West Wilkes campuses and a long way from North to anywhere.   West has been down for a while but a turnaround is possible.  Example: North Wilkes.  They,  for many years were a doormat but quite competitive now.  East Wilkes had a nice run for several years and Wilkes Central is always a worthy team. 

I lived in Boone back in the 90's, 3/4's of the trip to Winston-Salem is Wilkes Co.

Again like anywhere else - If the Right guy or the RIGHT fit type of guy - West Wilkes could be decent year in n out and West Wilkes has its challenges as other but biggest is Getting the Community Drama out of the Program n Get the Community to SUPPORT n BUY IN! 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 6:20 PM, MongolGuru said:

I lived in Boone back in the 90's, 3/4's of the trip to Winston-Salem is Wilkes Co.

At one time it was called The State of Wilkes

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

Again like anywhere else - If the Right guy or the RIGHT fit type of guy - West Wilkes could be decent year in n out and West Wilkes has its challenges as other but biggest is Getting the Community Drama out of the Program n Get the Community to SUPPORT n BUY IN! 

Well said. I live in this community and i love this place but a lot of drama off the football field. The right coach can squeeze all the talent out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USMC_86 said:

Well said. I live in this community and i love this place but a lot of drama off the football field. The right coach can squeeze all the talent out. 

A Scott Miller type coach would be GOOD for West Wilkes.... Discipline/Military style type guy  

20 hours ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

A Scott Miller type coach would be GOOD for West Wilkes.... Discipline/Military style type guy  

Yes a type of coach like that would be great for West Wilkes. I just hope its a home run hire and the coach will stay for a while.

I am a alumni from West Wilkes High School and current assistant coach at WSSU. I know the community and there is talent there to make the team better. I have applied for the position and I know I can bring excitement back to the program and make the program relevant again. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, coachpearson1 said:

I am a alumni from West Wilkes High School and current assistant coach at WSSU. I know the community and there is talent there to make the team better. I have applied for the position and I know I can bring excitement back to the program and make the program relevant again. 

I hope you get the job coach. 

Just now, coachpearson1 said:
58 minutes ago, coachmp said:

Coach Have they scheduled interviews?

Not yet the searched ended on Friday and I expect interviews will start this week. I am hoping that fellow alumni on here will reach out to other alumni. To get them to reach out the AD or principal to let them know that we need to hire a former alum for the position.  

8 minutes ago, coachpearson1 said:

Not yet the searched ended on Friday and I expect interviews will start this week. I am hoping that fellow alumni on here will reach out to other alumni. To get them to reach out the AD or principal to let them know that we need to hire a former alum for the position.  

Will the same AD Rutz still serve his position?

I wonder if former New Bern coach, Steve Tapley, applied for the job? I know left Central Wilkes for New Bern so he has some ties to the county. 

On 1/12/2020 at 9:27 PM, coachpearson1 said:

I am Marcus Pearson a 1992 alum and I was coached by Ray Barger. 

Good luck. I was coached by Ray Barger's dad. 

On 1/4/2020 at 5:51 PM, Mr.Blue&Gray said:

The best West Wilkes team that i know is 2001. They beat Charlotte Catholic 52-0 in the 1st RD Play Off game. That was before Catholic put in their System. 

Catholic had their system by then. That was the first year of it beginning to pay off so to say. First time in playoffs since the mid 90s and a lot of "first since 19XX" happened that year. The first class of kids who played from 6th grade through HS together were juniors in 2001. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2020 at 4:20 AM, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

Any Updates?

Hearing from VERY credible sources they have a person from the Concord-Charlotte area that will be accepting the job 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

Yes, from NW Cabarrus. A very capable coach who I think will do a good job. 

I will second this from Chris. I know the new coach very well, as he is a close friend and mentor of mine. He is in coaching for the right reasons, is very knowledgeable with his scheme, treats his assistants and kids well, and knows how to adapt based on personnel. If you are a supporter of West Wilkes, know that this is a great hire! I am excited to see him pour into your young people and community!

• Like 1