Rate this topic

Here at BB&T Field to watch these two electric western 2A teams try to win state titles today. Shelby and Reidsville both are favored by at least 10 points and are looking to add to their considerable legacy.

Shelby and Salisbury kickoff in about 8 minutes. 

Keep your comments, thoughts and observations coming folks.

a great defensive stand by Shelby forces a high snap over the punters head. Shelby takes over on the Hornet 34.

The Golden Lions rip off a 30 yard run and then score on the next play to take the lead.

Shelby 7-0 with 5:53 remaining in the 1st quarter.

Ja'Hari Mitchell slips in for another Shelby TD. The snap gets by the kicker and Salisbury can't get a return.

The Golden Lions lead 13-0 with 10:32 left in the half

Salsibury Is definitely outclassed in this one. As their defense keeps staying out in the field they are wearing down. Wouldn’t surprise me to see a running clock before the end of the game. No surprise  that Shelby is dominating. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

Salsibury Is definitely outclassed in this one. As their defense keeps staying out in the field they are wearing down. Wouldn’t surprise me to see a running clock before the end of the game. No surprise  that Shelby is dominating. 

Their defense is pretty dang good though. But your right it will only get worse

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

Watching the game on TV. Heard them say Salsibury was held to neg 7 yards at the half. Maybe the 2nd half Salsibury can adjust and make it game. 

I think the stats guys are being generous

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paul Graham said:

I think the stats guys are being generous

I meant to have said total yards. They were -31 on rushing and passing I can’t remember but yeah not sitting well Salsibury. 

Shelby knocking on the door again in the fourth quarter.  had the ball on the 2 and another penality backs them up. 

Bess throws to Nick Stites for the score.

Shelby leads 34-0

Final stats for this game were telling: 

Shelby had 19 1st downs, Ran for 138 and threw for 221 for a total of 359. Salisbury had a 5 first downs, ran for -6 yards and threw for 45 yards for a total of 39 yards.

It was over when Shelby walked on the field, but you have to give the Hornets a ton of credit for playing tough every play.

Shelby wins their sixth. title in seven years and 16th overall.

MVP: Ja'Hari Mitchell

Offensive MVP: Isaiah Bess

Defensive MVP: Malaki Hamrick

• Like 1

Thanks Paul for the updates. Congratulations to Shelby for winning the 2AA, also Salsibury had a good run that I would have not thought they would have made it this far early in the season. 

• Like 1

How in the world did that team make it down there?? That was no competition for them are the teams in the east that weak now? lets be honest here one of the easiest wins they had!! matter of fact their whole bracket was easy to the championship. 

18 minutes ago, LOOGDOGGY said:

How in the world did that team make it down there?? That was no competition for them are the teams in the east that weak now? lets be honest here one of the easiest wins they had!! matter of fact their whole bracket was easy to the championship. 

They made it to the finals because they are a west team playing in the east playoffs. I was stunned at the difference in Salisbury and Shelby. They were tough kids, but seemed lost. It was like they had never saw speed before. the play calling was horrible and if Shelby could have got out of their own way it would have been 56-0

Sign in to follow this