Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hughes

3AA State Championship: Weddington 34, Lee County 14

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Lee County has an overall decent schedule then beat some pretty good playoff teams. They certainly are a good team. But Weddington is as complete a team as you can ask for. Shipley is all that and more. They have a smart group of kids on both sides.

If you look close at the little available film on the net they do not make mistakes in defensive positions. They are very good in zone coverage. This program is very much like Charlotte Catholic but with more speed and can pass. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not raining Saturday evening! It seems like numerous outlets talk about the Lee County defense and how they have 3 Division 1 athletes and stop the run so well. The fact is that they've given up 172 points this season!! Not many people have mentioned the fact that Weddington has only given up 90 points this season. They also have 5 Division 1 athletes: (Trey Alsbrooks(Elon), Malik Mustapha(numerous offers), Will Shipley(Offers from basically every school that has a football team), Alec Mock (Air Force), Colby Barsz(Towson - LAX). Weddington has a really good group of young men that play as a team and swarm the ball carrier.

It should be a good game until Weddington makes their adjustments!

Weddington - 35

Lee County - 14

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wolf-pack your probably  right .  Weddington  is a really good team i'm just hoping for the town of Sanford to have something positive happen for once lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2019 at 12:14 AM, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

Weddington by 14

Wasn’t that your prediction last week? Weddington by 14 by end of 1. 

 

On 12/9/2019 at 9:36 AM, serstylz2 said:

Was hoping for the 3pm game for weather/field reasons but nonetheless the Green Machine will be firing 

You got the early game last year at Carolina. It’s our turn for that! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Crr1968 said:

Are you going to the game Wrigley?

No...I used to go every year but frankly am not a big fan of the title games. Shitty atmosphere and alot of blowouts due to some pretty big differences in competition West to East in some divisions. Plus the weather is always a roll of the dice. Have seen 70's in shorts, 20's and snow and one year a driving rain storm for 3+ hours. I will watch these ones on TV and be pulling for Big Dub 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the people on this forum are overlooking Lee Co. #3 DE in the Nation Des Evans, but also, one D1 DB, one D1 MLB, 1 D1 D-linemen. On offense, D1 QB and a very experienced O-line. Not overlooking Weddington, just wanted to shed some light on what Lee Co. actually has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SECChamp said:

Most of the people on this forum are overlooking Lee Co. #3 DE in the Nation Des Evans, but also, one D1 DB, one D1 MLB, 1 D1 D-linemen. On offense, D1 QB and a very experienced O-line. Not overlooking Weddington, just wanted to shed some light on what Lee Co. actually has.

It may appear that Lee County D1 players are getting overlooked, but trust me, they are not. But what is getting overlooked is Weddington’s defense which has 5 D1 recruits itself. But it’s not about individuals, it’s about team. I’ll take that defense every time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trey Underwood, 4th place on the all time kicker list for points. 4 year starting kicker. If Lee Co. makes it to the 40 yard line they are getting 3 points out of it. That's the difference, i'll call it 27-21 Lee Co.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SECChamp said:

Trey Underwood, 4th place on the all time kicker list for points. 4 year starting kicker. If Lee Co. makes it to the 40 yard line they are getting 3 points out of it. That's the difference, i'll call it 27-21 Lee Co.

That’s a 57 yard FG.  Doubtful any high school kicker is very accurate in a game from that distance.

The kicker for Weddington is better than their previous one.  He is the scholarship kicker for Iowa.  I saw the current kicker put a kickoff over the crossbar.  Standard spot, not off a penalty markoff.  Very shocked.  Sounds like the kicking game will be very even.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, btango said:

That’s a 57 yard FG.  Doubtful any high school kicker is very accurate in a game from that distance.

The kicker for Weddington is better than their previous one.  He is the scholarship kicker for Iowa.  I saw the current kicker put a kickoff over the crossbar.  Standard spot, not off a penalty markoff.  Very shocked.  Sounds like the kicking game will be very even.

He’s committed to NC State

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SECChamp said:

Trey Underwood, 4th place on the all time kicker list for points. 4 year starting kicker. If Lee Co. makes it to the 40 yard line they are getting 3 points out of it. That's the difference, i'll call it 27-21 Lee Co.

It’s hard to imagine LC scoring that many points. But it could happen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seen where a kicker who plays for Central Valley high in  Spokane, Washington kicked a 67 yarder to tie the game and send it to OT. I share the link not sure how to do it. But I seen it on YouTube video. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Warriors have a tougher defense (six shutouts, ten games having given up seven points or less, and only giving six points per game) than Lee County (two shutouts, eight games having given up seven points or less, and giving up an average of 11.5 points per game). Also, Weddington has played a tougher schedule and comes from a tougher conference (Southern Carolina 3A).

Both teams have potent offenses (Weddington, 44.7 points per game; Lee County, 42.6 points per game). But, I think that this game will be a defensive battle.

Weddington hopes to make a repeat of last year's state title win. The Warriors have won 25 straight games since last season.

Thus, I'm calling it Weddington 28, Lee County 14. Hopefully, the Yellow Jackets will PROVE ME WRONG!!! #Reuben2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the air attack for Lee Co. will win them this game, guys will key in on Chalmers (UNC prospect) and forget about slot receivers who make an impact. WR/DB who is a junior had 2 picks versus Cleveland and a receiving TD in the third round. He will make an impact for Lee. Neither team has been truly tested so it will be "interesting". 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SECChamp said:

I think the air attack for Lee Co. will win them this game, guys will key in on Chalmers (UNC prospect) and forget about slot receivers who make an impact. WR/DB who is a junior had 2 picks versus Cleveland and a receiving TD in the third round. He will make an impact for Lee. Neither team has been truly tested so it will be "interesting". 

It will be interesting as the back 7 is the strength of this great defense. Saturday can’t get here fast enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the air attack for Lee Co. will win them this game, guys will key in on Chalmers (UNC prospect) and forget about slot receivers who make an impact.

I seriously doubt that Weddington will do this. Good defenses never do this.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the air attack for Lee Co. will win them this game, guys will key in on Chalmers (UNC prospect) and forget about slot receivers who make an impact.

I seriously doubt that Weddington will do this. Good defenses never do this.

Looks like Weddington took care of that problem as well as others pretty well. I never had any doubt who would win the game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was one of the most complete, well disciplined, and athletic teams I have ever seen. Lee County is no slouch. They ran into something special. Weddington’s execution is a thing of beauty. Linemen play position blocking like a clinic. It was my first time seeing Will Shipley outside of highlights. The guy is one hell of a running back and defensive player. Haven’t seen stats but he was fun to watch his feet when he made moves and change of speeds.

Back to back champions and yet Will Shipley is only a junior. Next year is looking pretty good. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GDG said:

That was one of the most complete, well disciplined, and athletic teams I have ever seen. Lee County is no slouch. They ran into something special. Weddington’s execution is a thing of beauty. Linemen play position blocking like a clinic. It was my first time seeing Will Shipley outside of highlights. The guy is one hell of a running back and defensive player. Haven’t seen stats but he was fun to watch his feet when he made moves and change of speeds.

Back to back champions and yet Will Shipley is only a junior. Next year is looking pretty good. 

Agree 100%. I think Lee County may have been the best East team today( Cardinal Gibbons was pretty good as well). Weddington really handled them up front. Great kicking game, blocked a punt for a TD and the defense is very similar to Catholic.  Always in position and punch you in the mouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked Leesville Road.  I was impressed with their running game.  Did not get much against Vance but were able to get some decent gains.  Defensively, they were very impressive upfront and I think they were fairly complete on D.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×