Sign in to follow this  
rville20

The future for 1A football

Rate this topic

It will not be as many schools in the mix like non football sports and I think it will be a few years but it is coming.

1A schools need to be united and cohesive with a well thought preemptive  plan.  Need to get every superintendent, principal, AD, and coach 100% committed.  Get some big donors involved.   Meet with every legislative rep from 1A areas.  That would mean the folks mentioned above plus any influential people.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, GoodKNIGHT said:

The simple fix is for charters to have their own playoffs and let NCHSAA manage it..just think of the extra revenue for that organization. 

There are only a few charters that play football.  They need to look at playing up in football.  Non football sports could have a playoff for non traditional schools.

There are other problems in 1A that need to be addressed.  

How many high school students live in the district that do not attend the school but opt for other academic offerings and are not counted in the sports ADM.

“Traditional” schools with numerous players that do not live in the district.

Countywide open enrollment and magnet schools especially from metro areas.

1A needs a complete overhaul.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, btango said:

There are only a few charters that play football.  They need to look at playing up in football.  

There are other problems in 1A that needs to be addressed.  

How many high school students live in the district that do not attend the school but opt for other academic offerings and are not counted in the sports ADM.

“Traditional” schools with numerous players that do not live in the district.

Countywide open enrollment and magnet schools especially from metro areas.

1A needs a complete overhaul.  

This is it 100% 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coachE42 said:

How many charters have won a state championship in football? 

Zero but I truly believe that it will evolve like the other sports have.

Ten plus years ago when people complained about the three Parochial schools I told them that would pale in comparison to what was coming.  When I told them the charters I was laughed at.  It’s here.  Football will be next.

• Like 3

Just now, btango said:

Zero but I truly believe that it will evolve like the other sports have.

Ten plus years ago when people complained about the three Parochial schools I told them that would pale in comparison to what was coming.  When I told them the charters I was laughed at.  It’s here.  Football will be next.

Maybe you are right. I don’t think it will ever be as bad as non-football sports. The good thing about football is that there are a lot of equalizing factors that come into play as opposed to ladies basketball where BM dominates for so long.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, coachE42 said:

Maybe you are right. I don’t think it will ever be as bad as non-football sports. The good thing about football is that there are a lot of equalizing factors that come into play as opposed to ladies basketball where BM dominates for so long.

Takes more numbers.  One or two players are not usually going to completely change an outcome.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btango said:

Takes more numbers.  One or two players are not usually going to completely change an outcome.

When they start recruiting the right players it will

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rville20 said:

When they start recruiting the right players it will

Much tougher though than in hoops.

17 minutes ago, Bonecollector said:

Do all Charters use the lottery system? If so, Mountain Island in football and Uwharrie Charter in wrestling hit the jackpot.  At least it took TJ 10 plus years to get here.

If they have empty seats a lottery is not required.  

I expect a lot can be done once the school year gets well under way as most will not transfer during a semester.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, GoNtheDistance said:

Put all the charters and parochials in a separate playoff, or give them the option to play 4a.  

That is fine for non football sports!  Football teams from that group are limited right now.

Ask your state rep to bring it to the floor of the House.  They changed conference members one year without input to or notification of the NCHSAA.  They can make it happen.  If Robbinsville would have lost to TJ it would have been the perfect time fir every fan to head to his next open office hours.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, btango said:

That is fine for non football sports!  Football teams from that group are limited right now.

Ask your state rep to bring it to the floor of the House.  They changed conference members one year without input to or notification of the NCHSAA.  They can make it happen.  If Robbinsville would have lost to TJ it would have been the perfect time fir every fan to head to his next open office hours.

We don't want it to go that far(Robbinsville loosing to one in football)we lost state wrestling duel to one of them last year

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rville20 said:

We don't want it to go that far(Robbinsville loosing to one in football)we lost state wrestling duel to one of them last year

Note, I wrote in another thread that 1A (and probably 2A) schools need to unite and to be preemptive.

• Like 2

What about a multiplier rule for the charter schools. Tennessee had 1.8 multiplier rule for the private schools until they finally all went to the private division.

• Like 3

Little 1a is in a no win situation right now, if the charters and private schools go to their own playoffs that drops more EC scam schools down to 1a. The way I see it now it is pick your own poison. At the moment I would rather play the charters, but that isn't going to last much longer, with what I saw at Robbinsville this week. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Appvol said:

What about a multiplier rule for the charter schools. Tennessee had 1.8 multiplier rule for the private schools until they finally all went to the private division.

WS Prep is an open enrollment magnet school.  Probably 200 students.  Unreal how out of that 100 or so boys they have so many really tall ones that are very good at basketball.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bonecollector said:

Do all Charters use the lottery system? If so, Mountain Island in football and Uwharrie Charter in wrestling hit the jackpot.  At least it took TJ 10 plus years to get here.

I talked to a coach at lake Norman charter. He said mt island charter has extra openings so they go after talented players. Just what I was told

• Like 2

I was told by a friend of mine that he thinks that all public schools should be in one league and all non public schools in another league. Let them recruit, give scholarships and reclassify. My response  was that if this was the case then the only thing you will hear people complain about is the fact that they are recruiting the public school players. I really do not have an equitable solution for everything that is going on. My worry is that AAU or some other organization will form 7 on 7 leagues and talk the skill kids into only playing in their non contact league and pushing the minimal contact aspect. 

• Like 1

Look at Uwharrie Charter in baseball. Not talking about the legal troubles but how they are affiliated with the summer leagues in and around Asheboro. Uwharrie is the poster child of taking advantage of a crooked system. 1A is on its way out the door. In 1AA you have four or five in the entire State that will win year in and year out. Realignment isn't going to change it. When/if Tarboro moves up you will have Edenton or WRH moving down. It's a cycle the Western teams won't break anytime soon. It's a fact. I called Tarboro three years in a row. Next year will be four in a row. Sorry to bust anyone's bubble but it's a FACT. 

9 hours ago, Glenn said:

I was told by a friend of mine that he thinks that all public schools should be in one league and all non public schools in another league. Let them recruit, give scholarships and reclassify. My response  was that if this was the case then the only thing you will hear people complain about is the fact that they are recruiting the public school players. I really do not have an equitable solution for everything that is going on. My worry is that AAU or some other organization will form 7 on 7 leagues and talk the skill kids into only playing in their non contact league and pushing the minimal contact aspect. 

Charter schools are public schools.  Ask the legislature and they will let you know that real quick even though some are ran by for profit companies and charters do not have the same requirements or restraints. 

There are three "private" schools that play football in the NCHSAA.  The three Parochial schools.  

I do agree with the point about recruiting and the future of 7 on 7 "street agent" types.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WM1977 said:

Look at Uwharrie Charter in baseball. Not talking about the legal troubles but how they are affiliated with the summer leagues in and around Asheboro. Uwharrie is the poster child of taking advantage of a crooked system. 1A is on its way out the door. In 1AA you have four or five in the entire State that will win year in and year out. Realignment isn't going to change it. When/if Tarboro moves up you will have Edenton or WRH moving down. It's a cycle the Western teams won't break anytime soon. It's a fact. I called Tarboro three years in a row. Next year will be four in a row. Sorry to bust anyone's bubble but it's a FACT. 

Uwharrie Charter is a perfect example of the problem.

1A needs to be divided between true "traditional" schools and non traditional schools to include, but not limited to charters, open enrollment schools, magnets, and the any Parochial school that is 1A.  "Traditional" needs to be defined!  If a school allows non district students to participate in sports except for a very few reasons then they are NOT "traditional." 

1A would become a subdivided class for all team sports.  ADM would not matter just what "type" of school.  Individual sports I would leave it as is.  Personally, I hate subdividing into four classifications for man to man sports but I understand the reasoning.

• Like 2

Charter schools are public schools.  True.

His main concern was that because Charters are actually public schools and have open enrollment that allow students to come from all over that this could lead to recruiting. I actually never thought about it but he does have a point.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Charter schools are public schools.  True.

His main concern was that because Charters are actually public schools and have open enrollment that allow students to come from all over that this could lead to recruiting. I actually never thought about it but he does have a point.

No easy answer but there has to be changes made.

As much with charters are the small schools in counties that allow "open enrollment" or allow transfers with very little regulation.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 11:27 AM, btango said:

Uwharrie Charter is a perfect example of the problem.  Personally, I hate subdividing into four classifications for man to man sports but I understand the reasoning.

Which are man to man sport? 

4 hours ago, Knights said:

Which are man to man sport? 

Individual sports.  Where one individual competes directly against another individual.

Wrestling, individual not team duals.  I know there is a team title at the individual championships.  Duals though would be separated.

Tennis, individual.  Not doubles or duals.

Track & Field.  All events except the relays.  Relays could be ran separate and the place from each relay would receive points.  

Golf, indiviudal.

Nothing is ever going to be perfect especially for the smallest 10% of the schools just as nothing is going to be perfect for smaller schools in the largest classification.