Sign in to follow this  
GoodKNIGHT

Robbinsville 28, Thomas Jefferson 14 (1A West Final)

Rate this topic

Yeah I have one thought. How does another Charter school that was garbage rise to a western title game? So much for the blind lottery system for charters. You guys in 1A better watch out for Thomas Jefferson in the future as these kids are Shelby and Crest district kids.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GDG said:

Yeah I have one thought. How does another Charter school that was garbage rise to a western title game? So much for the blind lottery system for charters. You guys in 1A better watch out for Thomas Jefferson in the future as these kids are Shelby and Crest district kids.

I'm pretty sure that Thomas Jeffereson has been deep in the playoffs the last 6 or 7 years at least, so I definitely wouldn't call that garbage unless your team is having more success than that, so you maybe a Shelby fan(1 of the only local programs with runs  better than TJ). Trust me,it's a blind draw. I tried getting my daughter into the school (was at the lottery) and at the time, she was 1 of over 250 7th graders trying to get into the school for 8 or 10 spots. She ended up #3 on wait list after the few spots were filled and trust me,the coaches wanted her there. If you are parent that puts an emphasis on grades,it's a must go to school. They have bus stops in shelby that i could have used to get her in the morning but it was going to be a 55 min drive one way for me to pick her up from sports after school and she plays every sport,so that would have been year round. And its not just Crest and Shelby district(even though Cleveland county is an open district and you can go to any school you want to in the county) but Kings Mountain students also go there.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Wsquared said:

Just went and checked, over the last 5 years, TJ has a 55-10 record.  So that is pretty good for a newer school.

Very good record..Robbinsville is 49-18 over the last 5 years 

38 minutes ago, GoodKNIGHT said:

Anderson's biggest night of the year  last year was against TJ..over 200yds rushing..

Hooper only carried like 10 times for 70 yds

I ran into one of the football coaches and he told me that they have a hard time with strong and physical teams,namely the mountain teams and thier size. I looked on their (TJ) roster and they have some good size underclassmen. I don't know if they have a weight facility, but if they dont,adding 1 would def help when it comes to the physical teams. 

• Like 1

TJA went 1-32 in their first three years and '09-13 they went 15-42. They once gave up 90 to Polk county and scored  44 total points in year one. They really took it on the chin early. It took them time to get the kids to buy in to Cash's system but when they did they got almost exponentially better.

This is a true academics first school. they require Latin and are a college prep set up across the board. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wsquared said:

I ran into one of the football coaches and he told me that they have a hard time with strong and physical teams,namely the mountain teams and thier size. I looked on their (TJ) roster and they have some good size underclassmen. I don't know if they have a weight facility, but if they dont,adding 1 would def help when it comes to the physical teams. 

I saw the second round game at Cherokee in 2017 and it was rough. TJA was a good team but Cherokee physically beat them like a red-headed step child. By the end of the game the number of TJA starters on the medical bench was huge. 

1 hour ago, Wsquared said:

Just went and checked, over the last 5 years, TJ has a 55-10 record.  So that is pretty good for a newer school.

4 hours ago, GDG said:

TJ isn't "new" though...The school was founded in the late 90s. They didn't start a football program until 2008. They started off 0-19 over their first 2.5 seasons (only 2 games first season). Winning 1 game in their 3rd season. And went 1-34 in their first 4 seasons. And then they brought in Coach Jerry Cash for the 2012 season, and immediately rattled off 6 wins, before finishing the season 6-6, losing in the first round of the playoffs. The next season they went 8-4. And every season since then have won at least 10 games. This is their first season making it to the 4th round, but they have made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs in 3 of the last 4 seasons. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Paul Graham said:

I saw the second round game at Cherokee in 2017 and it was rough. TJA was a good team but Cherokee physically beat them like a red-headed step child. By the end of the game the number of TJA starters on the medical bench was huge. 

One correction. That Cherokee game was in the 3rd round. TJ was a top 4 seed and had a bye week in the 1st round, played Elkin in the 2nd round. 

• Like 1

Take a look at those teams Thomas Jefferson played the last three years or more. Garbage except one. Cherryville, Union Academy, Pine Lake Prep, Highland Creek, Hickory Home School, Greenwood Home School, and then Elkin in the first round for couple years. And they haver not went deep unless you call a second game deep.

Every school has a draw they claim is legit. As far as academics goes every charter has better scoring students as a group than traditional publics. The rules and transportation keeps the lower income kids out.

4 hours ago, GoodKNIGHT said:

Thoughts?

TJ hasn't "played anyone." But they beat Elkin 35-14, who had played some teams and was 10-2, and outside of a rough start to the game, 14-7 Elkin in the 1st quarter, TJ dominated the rest of the game, and pretty much shut Elkin down after the fast start. 

Elkin played and beat Alleghany and Andrews, who Robbinsville also played. Looking at the scores and stats for those (4) games, and considering what TJ did to Elkin, if anything should give people pause about thinking that Robbinsville will cruise to a W. Robbinsville could cruise because they bring a physicallity that TJ rarely faces except in the playoffs and has yet to overcome, and it's at Robbinsville. But IF TJ could find a way to get a lead in this game, I could also see TJs defense being able to slow down Robbinsvilles running game/offense enough to possibly squeak out a win. This D Line is probably one of the best TJ has had, and our LBs are solid too. 

• Like 1

What’s Thomas Jefferson’s signature win? Pine Lake or Highland Tech? Or was it one of the home schools? Jeez.

Murphy's D line is way better than Thomas Jefferson. 

TJ is no different than any other charter.  Uwharrie Charter ha 10 state ranked wrestlers their 2nd year. That is almost impossible. The odds are really low that would happen. 

44 minutes ago, footballfan95 said:

One correction. That Cherokee game was in the 3rd round. TJ was a top 4 seed and had a bye week in the 1st round, played Elkin in the 2nd round. 

yes you are correct. I forgot about the bye week.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GDG said:

What’s Thomas Jefferson’s signature win? Pine Lake or Highland Tech? Or was it one of the home schools? Jeez.

Referring to this season? Pretty sure I already said it...Elkin...Beating a 10-2 Elkin team by 21 points was a good win. 

Also those two teams are in TJ's conference so...TJ doesn't "decide" to play them. And in terms of out of conference, TJ has a hard time finding teams to play them. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, footballfan95 said:

TJ isn't "new" though...The school was founded in the late 90s. They didn't start a football program until 2008. They started off 0-19 over their first 2.5 seasons (only 2 games first season). Winning 1 game in their 3rd season. And went 1-34 in their first 4 seasons. And then they brought in Coach Jerry Cash for the 2012 season, and immediately rattled off 6 wins, before finishing the season 6-6, losing in the first round of the playoffs. The next season they went 8-4. And every season since then have won at least 10 games. This is their first season making it to the 4th round, but they have made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs in 3 of the last 4 seasons. 

I should have said newer school for the area and new in playing football compared to other schools surrounding that area.  I still didn't know that their 1st year was 7 -9 grades in 1999.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GDG said:

Take a look at those teams Thomas Jefferson played the last three years or more. Garbage except one. Cherryville, Union Academy, Pine Lake Prep, Highland Creek, Hickory Home School, Greenwood Home School, and then Elkin in the first round for couple years. And they haver not went deep unless you call a second game deep.

Every school has a draw they claim is legit. As far as academics goes every charter has better scoring students as a group than traditional publics. The rules and transportation keeps the lower income kids out.

I'm not versed on the rules, but which rules keep lower income kids out? They(TJ) provide public transportation probably 30 to 35 mins out from the school. Anyone can apply,including EC. Charlotte has alot of charter schools in the city limits geared toward low income students. I wanted my daughter there for the curriculum they were using and they are a top 10 school(7 this year,3rd I believe the year I tried to get mine there) in NC. Had to settle for the charter in Shelby, lol. No local school has to worry about losing athletes to pinnacle unless they are into archery. 

• Like 2

On 12/4/2019 at 2:32 PM, Wsquared said:

I'm not versed on the rules, but which rules keep lower income kids out? They(TJ) provide public transportation probably 30 to 35 mins out from the school. Anyone can apply,including EC. Charlotte has alot of charter schools in the city limits geared toward low income students. I wanted my daughter there for the curriculum they were using and they are a top 10 school(7 this year,3rd I believe the year I tried to get mine there) in NC. Had to settle for the charter in Shelby, lol. No local school has to worry about losing athletes to pinnacle unless they are into archery. 

The Charlotte schools are mostly magnets, not charters.

One of my best friends kids never went thru a lottery. He was asked to come and play at a Charlotte lake area charter because he was 6’3” and 250 lbs. He was already at Lincoln Charter before that which was 10 minutes from his home. What about the three kids who supposedly are lottery who were on the Lake Norman team that won a title. I guess Bandys kids have better lottery luck than other kids.

My favorite is when a athlete gets in the school and the siblings get pulled to the top to attend. Yeah it’s all on the up and up. Publics basically pick you up feet from your house in a bus while charters expect you to go to a highly limited access area or shuttle your kids to school. Working class people cannot just come and go at work to get their kids to these schools. Welcome to the new segregation based on income.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2019 at 12:00 PM, GoodKNIGHT said:

Anderson's biggest night of the year  last year was against TJ..over 200yds rushing..

Hooper only carried like 10 times for 70 yds

The year before it was against another charter in MIC