Sign in to follow this  
GDG

Shelby 42, Burns 14 (2AA West Final)

Rate this topic

Both teams are from Cleveland County.

Both teams come out of the same conference.

Both teams played 3A Crest and Kings Mtn.

Both teams took losses to Kings Mtn.

Only one team will leave the field next week victorious.

Shelby won the regular season match and the conference 26-13. From what I’ve heard it really wasn’t that close as Shelby took a knee in scoring territory. But Burns is coming in on an emotional high after coming from behind and winning a overtime game in the third round. I expect there will be a huge crowd. While there get you a livermush sammich (intentional spelling). Shelby has the best value and best concessions in western NC.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Stick82 said:

It's Shelby's to lose........

You’ve seen Shelby this year. Do the Lions have corners who can stay with Burns wideout Leslie? Can Burns get pressure on the QB Bess?

• Like 2

Shelby will wanna stop Pryor from beating us...if im coaching staff id stack box and play man to man. Our Dbs are good the practice against 2. 1200 yrd rec everyday.To me Shelbys D has played lights out in playoffs..gave up 7 in each game but in West Iredell game was on backups.. Shelby will need to use balance last time Burns rushed 3 layed 8 back, but in 2nd half they couldn't stop our run game...we need to use both...Im thinking Shelby 35- 14 this time.

Not much interest in this thread. Why is that? I’ve come to the conclusion over the years Shelby’s success has been bad for 2A football. I think Reidsville has also. These teams have dominated the landscape for decades. There’s not much to discuss when these two are always deep in the playoffs.

Have there been other challengers? Sure. South Point and Hibriten out of the West. Wallace Rose Hill and Clinton out East but neither have maintained the same appearances as the Rams and Lions. There will be more interest in what subdivision they will be in than what the match ups will be like. Schools in 2A struggle to field 30 man rosters outside of moving kids up while these two can generate 50 players while leaving most of the JV team intact.

Without any true dominating teams to add to this mix fans just don’t care anymore.

• Like 4

Honestly I think it would have been good for football if Shelby would have went small this year. I wish they would have went small last year too. LOL

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, HHS2003BEAM said:

Honestly I think it would have been good for football if Shelby would have went small this year. I wish they would have went small last year too. LOL

I agree. The west would have changed in seeding and someone new would have emerged. The landscape is changing for the past dominate programs as rural programs have had more success. This will continue with the exception of larger cities and schools.

At some point soon Reidsville will fall into 1a and Shelby who once was 3a will go small 2a without a realignment change in classifications. White flight and black middle class suburb growth has diminished many of these programs to a shell of their prominence.

In my opinion Asheville High and Lincolnton High are the latest victims. North Carolina is experiencing a social economic school divide more than a racial divide in small markets more than I have seen in my lifetime. That does not bode well for public schools. If we want to consider Charters a true public school I say they are not. Charters are the birth of inner school districts issues to appease the more affluent voters. Charters are the new segregation along the lines of economic classes regardless of color.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GDG said:

I agree. The west would have changed in seeding and someone new would have emerged. The landscape is changing for the past dominate programs as rural programs have had more success. This will continue with the exception of larger cities and schools.

At some point soon Reidsville will fall into 1a and Shelby who once was 3a will go small 2a without a realignment change in classifications. White flight and black middle class suburb growth has diminished many of these programs to a shell of their prominence.

In my opinion Asheville High and Lincolnton High are the latest victims. North Carolina is experiencing a social economic school divide more than a racial divide in small markets more than I have seen in my lifetime. That does not bode well for public schools. If we want to consider Charters a true public school I say they are not. Charters are the birth of inner school districts issues to appease the more affluent voters. Charters are the new segregation along the lines of economic classes regardless of color.

Unfortunately, I agree.  However, we have had a very recent turn in Shelby.  I know of several students who have left Pinnacle and gone to Shelby in the last few months.  Several teachers have also left that school for public schools. Charter schools are not public schools.  They don't follow under the same "rules" as true public schools. I think with the onset of new helicopter parents, the "fear" of football keeps them from pushing/allowing their kids to play. Kids are also caught up so much in their social lives they don't want the "bother" of playing a team sport....they'd rather be partying on a Friday night or playing video games.  Just too many other things to do these days. It's really sad. 

• Like 2

What schools are affected by Thomas Jefferson Academy? I know its in Mooresboro which I would think is closer to Crest and Chase. Do they get Shelby students at all if they privide transportation?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GDG said:

Both teams are from Cleveland County.

Both teams come out of the same conference.

Both teams played 3A Crest and Kings Mtn.

Both teams took losses to Kings Mtn.

Only one team will leave the field next week victorious.

Shelby won the regular season match and the conference 26-13. From what I’ve heard it really wasn’t that close as Shelby took a knee in scoring territory. But Burns is coming in on an emotional high after coming from behind and winning a overtime game in the third round. I expect there will be a huge crowd. While there get you a livermush sammich (intentional spelling). Shelby has the best value and best concessions in western NC.

you a grape jelly or yeller mustard on your Livermush fella??

• Like 1

I would think East Rutherford and RS Central would be the biggest victims, perhaps.

1 hour ago, GDG said:

Not much interest in this thread. Why is that? I’ve come to the conclusion over the years Shelby’s success has been bad for 2A football. I think Reidsville has also. These teams have dominated the landscape for decades. There’s not much to discuss when these two are always deep in the playoffs.

Without any true dominating teams to add to this mix fans just don’t care anymore.

Nail on the head. It is hard to get excited if you know what awaits in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round. I had a fella the other day say, "why bother going to watch; Reidsville is just to good; Shelby will kill anyone from up here. I'm not wasting my gas money to drive down there to see a ass whoopin."  There are myriad reasons why these teams are good and it takes so long to get the buy-in at a deep enough level to make other programs competitive, yearly, that it falls apart before it happens.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Paul Graham said:

you a grape jelly or yeller mustard on your Livermush fella??

Neither. I like my pig parts plain so I can savor the mix.

5 minutes ago, Paul Graham said:

I would think East Rutherford and RS Central would be the biggest victims, perhaps.

Nail on the head. It is hard to get excited if you know what awaits in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round. I had a fella the other day say, "why bother going to watch; Reidsville is just to good; Shelby will kill anyone from up here. I'm not wasting my gas money to drive down there to see a ass whoopin."  There are myriad reasons why these teams are good and it takes so long to get the buy-in at a deep enough level to make other programs competitive, yearly, that it falls apart before it happens.  

I hear much the same. Too many people think kids play for community and school. Those days are gone.  There has to be a reward for success or at least hope. It’s a world of instant gratification. A Reidsville or Shelby success rate does not need to manufacture a vision. The vision is on the fingers of kids at school and in the trophy cabinet. That envy keeps kids coming.

I had a couple dozen people recognize me at the Burns vs North Lincoln game. Most from Catawba County. Many came because they played or coached with North Lincoln’s Nick Bazzle. Four were from a team in 2007 at Newton- Conover. A couple were from Shelby living in Catawba. Never see these guys at Newton games anymore as they became mediocre. It’s hard for them to watch. On the other side of the spectrum is Shelby who may not fill the stands but they consistently have good attendance. Put 100 kids in a uniform and the uncles, aunts, cousins, brothers, sisters, grandparents and friends populate the bleachers. Put 25 in uniforms on varsity and you can sit anywhere you want.

Burns success this year bodes well for getting the numbers back up on the sidelines. Kids come with parents and hear the roar of the crowd. These kids remember that experience. They want to be a part of it as they get older.

I watched cheerleaders and fans at North Lincoln weep after the game. That’s passion. Bazzle came to a very bad program. The principal at North had enough faith in his leadership to let him do things his way. He put a stop to the bleeding of transferring. Bazzle kept the kids humble even with huge margins of victory. That success will translate to the siblings of those players for years to come. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GDG said:

Neither. I like my pig parts plain so I can savor the mix.

I hear much the same. Too many people think kids play for community and school. Those days are gone.  There has to be a reward for success or at least hope. It’s a world of instant gratification. A Reidsville or Shelby success rate does not need to manufacture a vision. The vision is on the fingers of kids at school and in the trophy cabinet. That envy keeps kids coming.

I had a couple dozen people recognize me at the Burns vs North Lincoln game. Most from Catawba County. Many came because they played or coached with North Lincoln’s Nick Bazzle. Four were from a team in 2007 at Newton- Conover. A couple were from Shelby living in Catawba. Never see these guys at Newton games anymore as they became mediocre. It’s hard for them to watch. On the other side of the spectrum is Shelby who may not fill the stands but they consistently have good attendance. Put 100 kids in a uniform and the uncles, aunts, cousins, brothers, sisters, grandparents and friends populate the bleachers. Put 25 in uniforms on varsity and you can sit anywhere you want.

Burns success this year bodes well for getting the numbers back up on the sidelines. Kids come with parents and hear the roar of the crowd. These kids remember that experience. They want to be a part of it as they get older.

I watched cheerleaders and fans at North Lincoln weep after the game. That’s passion. Bazzle came to a very bad program. The principal at North had enough faith in his leadership to let him do things his way. He put a stop to the bleeding of transferring. Bazzle kept the kids humble even with huge margins of victory. That success will translate to the siblings of those players for years to come. 

GDG, I'd like to meet you sometime as I think we see things in the Catawba Co. area the same way. I guess it would be nice to at least commiserate w/ someone who at least likes to have a discussion on how to fix things. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GDG said:

What schools are affected by Thomas Jefferson Academy? I know its in Mooresboro which I would think is closer to Crest and Chase. Do they get Shelby students at all if they privide transportation?

There are two buses that pick students up at the Ruby Y in Boiling Springs and there are 3 buses that pick students up at the Dover Y in Shelby and transport them to TJ..  There may be another pickup location in Shelby. There are a lot from Cleveland County that go there. 

15 minutes ago, SaintFan said:

GDG, I'd like to meet you sometime as I think we see things in the Catawba Co. area the same way. I guess it would be nice to at least commiserate w/ someone who at least likes to have a discussion on how to fix things. 

Sure. Any time. I grew up for the first 13 years in the Saint community before moving to Hickory and attending school. 

1 hour ago, GDG said:

These kids remember that experience. They want to be a part of it as they get older.

That is where Shelby's success comes from.  Young boys attend these games and see the Golden Lions out there and aspire to be one someday. The feeder programs have definitely dwindled over the years.  We used to have 4 feeder teams...now, with numbers low, they have combined to form 1. 

Winning definitely brings more kids out.....like you said, they want to be a part of it.  They see the rings, and they want one. It will be interesting to see how many are in attendance for Shelby Friday night.  This is our 7th Western Final IN A ROW. Incredible success. But fans have also become complacent. We didn't have a ton there last Friday night. I was disappointed in our crowd as was some of our other fans. Hopefully we pack the stands this Friday night....should be fun.

34 minutes ago, '98 State Champion said:

There are two buses that pick students up at the Ruby Y in Boiling Springs and there are 3 buses that pick students up at the Dover Y in Shelby and transport them to TJ..  There may be another pickup location in Shelby. There are a lot from Cleveland County that go there. 

Charters have 100 kids per grade I have been told. That’s 400 high school kids out of the two counties. Soon the same for Pinnacle Charter. 800 kids from mainly Crest, Shelby, Chase, maybe some from East Rutherford. The bus stuff is new to me as I thought you had to provide your own transportation. If Pinnacle peaks out I could see Shelby dropping to little 2A pretty soon. 

• Like 1

Hopefully someday we will see a non conference affair between Shelby n Reidsville. Imagine what kind of thread you have on that game. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

Hopefully someday we will see a non conference affair between Shelby n Reidsville. Imagine what kind of thread you have on that game. 

I would think you would not have much of any thread on it at CP. You very rarely see any traffic from Shelby or Reidsville fans. You have two posters from each school who post here. I don’t think many people would care. 

You’ll not see that non conference match. It’s not going to happen. Every year every 2A school wants to know if Shelby is going big or small. No coach is going to want to show you all their cards with a playoff game possibility coming. Forget that scheduled game. It makes no sense to show your opponent how to prepare for a western final or title game. And as far as attendance neither team travels well. Shelby has become so accustomed to winning they do not go past Crest High. Reidsville has few fans who travel as well.

We can continue later has I just got a call I may have a grandchild being born three weeks early and I am heading to Charlotte. 

• Like 3

Ok, just thought that would be interesting matchup. I would say as for this year Shelby is the 2A team to beat whether it’s 2AA or 2A. 

• Like 1

I don't think Reidsville will go 1a. The numbers did climb up a little, hopefully that continues. Shelby was close to small 2a last year, maybe they can meet next year. Both should be loaded again.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GDG said:

You’ve seen Shelby this year. Do the Lions have corners who can stay with Burns wideout Leslie? Can Burns get pressure on the QB Bess?

Yes Shelby will have no trouble covering 4 for Burns. The question is can Burns cover the 37 receivers that Shelby runs down field every play?? If Burns can get pressure on Bess and make him scramble they can keep it interesting. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Stick82 said:

Yes Shelby will have no trouble covering 4 for Burns. The question is can Burns cover the 37 receivers that Shelby runs down field every play?? If Burns can get pressure on Bess and make him scramble they can keep it interesting. 

They do have quite a few don’t they.

• Like 1

In the North Lincoln vs Burns game Coach Devine was forced to make an offensive adjustment that led to a victory. Pryor had 10 yards in the first half. North Lincoln shut him down completely so he threw the deep ball. North Lincoln went man to man which was a disaster. North Lincoln stuck to stopping Pryor. Had North Lincoln moved the 6’4” UVA recruit over we would not be discussing this matchup. Strong Safety Brady did get into cover on 2 plays where he almost had an interception and got behind the wideout on another. I suspect you will not see that scenario at Shelby. Sweezey did throw three or four passes on 7 yard slants but only one had success.

I see Shelby making that game film their focus. If Burns can get behind the linebackers and complete some of those shorter passes in open space that will give Pryor some room to work. LBs Stites and Hollifield are great run stoppers so somehow you have to pull them out of gaps. If it were me I would go three wide on one side and a 4th on the other side forcing a limited number of defenders to stop Pryor. Even if you don’t complete but a few passes over the middle and still sling some go routes you give Pryor room to create some magic. Shelby is just too good to hand the ball to a single back 42 times a game. 

3 minutes ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

Alston BBQ or Red Bridges BBQ? Which one to go to? 

Red Bridges but if you are there after 5:00 and going to the game you will not make it.

For parking if you are coming from civilization, meaning north to south, on Hwy 74 keep going pass the school for about a half mile then left U turn back to the school which is on 74. Turn in at the school road entrance on 74, not the road before the school. Don’t even bother looking for a space after 5:30. Hit the giant grass yard all around the front of the school. It’s open for big games.

Parking and seating will not be an issue on the home side. I’ve come to big games and sat somewhere always. You will encounter a metal detector at the gate. Don’t have a pocket knife or you’re going back to the car. I usually show up in the city limits at 6:30. The traffic will be crazy bad for 2 miles before the school for game day due to the stoplight in front of the school. 

3 minutes ago, GDG said:

Red Bridges but if you are there after 5:00 and going to the game you will not make it.

For parking if you are coming from civilization, meaning north to south, on Hwy 74 keep going pass the school for about a half mile then left U turn back to the school which is on 74. Turn in at the school road entrance on 74, not the road before the school. Don’t even bother looking for a space after 5:30. Hit the giant grass yard all around the front of the school. It’s open for big games.

Parking and seating will not be an issue on the home side. I’ve come to big games and sat somewhere always. You will encounter a metal detector at the gate. Don’t have a pocket knife or you’re going back to the car. I usually show up in the city limits at 6:30. The traffic will be crazy bad for 2 miles before the school for game day due to the stoplight in front of the school. 

10/4 

8 minutes ago, GDG said:

If your going, come and find me if you can and say Hello! Would like to catch up again! 

• Like 1

Just now, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

If you going, come and find me and say Hello! 

I haven’t made that decision yet. It’s either that game or Catholic. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GDG said:

I haven’t made that decision yet. It’s either that game or Catholic. 

I'm headed to Richmond tonight... Let's see what it's about there!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cagle89 said:

I'm headed to Richmond tonight... Let's see what it's about there!

Have fun brother.