Rate this topic

You can do those things when U have support from your community.....On any given Friday night 4-5 thousand in attendance...Then throw in the Scotland game and the playoffs......That is some good change....25,000 ON A BAD NIGHT....9,000 at 8.00 a head for a playoff game........I'm no Einstein but thats 72,000.......Dang that will buy a lot of firecrackers...and a sweet sound system, and even some fancy lights...

15 minutes ago, raider1 said:

From that replay , looks like all was quiet before the snap....Whine ...whine...Music was stopped 5 seconds before the last PLAY  OF THE GAME..9000 PEOPLE , COWBELLS, PEOPLE HOLLERING AND ALL MUSIC STOPPED 5 SECONDS BEFORE THE SNAP...Now what...

Never said a word about music. 

33 minutes ago, raider1 said:

From that replay , looks like all was quiet before the snap....Whine ...whine...Music was stopped 5 seconds before the last PLAY  OF THE GAME..9000 PEOPLE , COWBELLS, PEOPLE HOLLERING AND ALL MUSIC STOPPED 5 SECONDS BEFORE THE SNAP...Now what...

I agree on the last snap of the game they halted it early.  There were over 150 total snaps.  There were times when they were in set formation and it was playing.  I am here for facts and am curious about the situation.  As I have written several times it is not against the rules.  I am fine with the way the game turned out.

31 minutes ago, raider1 said:

You can do those things when U have support from your community.....On any given Friday night 4-5 thousand in attendance...Then throw in the Scotland game and the playoffs......That is some good change....25,000 ON A BAD NIGHT....9,000 at 8.00 a head for a playoff game........I'm no Einstein but thats 72,000.......Dang that will buy a lot of firecrackers...and a sweet sound system, and even some fancy lights...

That gets split up.  15% to the NCHSAA.  All expenses are then paid.  Travel money for the visitor (may be $500).  Split the remainder 50/50.  The home team gets the concessions and merchandise money.  Richmond did well but they do great in the regular season, also.

• Like 1

On fields that have parking in the end of the field areas can be a problem. Normally when a car pulls in with their high beams on can be blinding to the team facing them but normally the officials will stop play until they turn them off and it normally is not a problem.

On 12/1/2019 at 7:22 PM, CoachWingate said:

Here is some videos during the game on Friday night.  It gives a good idea of what the lights are like.  Unreal atmosphere for high school football. 

Entrance

Before Kickoff

Start of 4th Qtr

Last Play of Game

That is pretty dang awesome.  Visitor or home, I would have loved to be able to play in that kind of setting.  Very cool.  

• Like 2

Imagine playing at Richmond in these enviroments then take a recruiting visit to a D3 or low level D2 school.  You have to love football to accept that change!

When Richmond is good NC high school football benefits from it.  Them getting home field is great for the game!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, btango said:

Imagine playing at Richmond in these enviroments then take a recruiting visit to a D3 or low level D2 school.  You have to love football to accept that change!

When Richmond is good NC high school football benefits from it.  Them getting home field is great for the game!

Thats a great point. better atmosphere than alot of D1 programs.

• Like 3

Thank You 06........Thank you Wrigley....Thank you Btango......We work really hard to make the atmosphere something besides the football game .....Our band was not there Friday, but they will be back this week and it will be more entertaining....Hope to see U all again Friday for a BIGGIE.......MAY  THE BEST TEAM WIN, WITH NO INJURIES TO BOTH TEAMS.....I'll say this , the team that turns it over is in BIG TROUBLE......I said last week I thought 35 would win it.....This week , Ill go with 24.......Go Raiders....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, raider1 said:

Thank You 06........Thank you Wrigley....Thank you Btango......We work really hard to make the atmosphere something besides the football game .....Our band was not there Friday, but they will be back this week and it will be more entertaining....Hope to see U all again Friday for a BIGGIE.......MAY  THE BEST TEAM WIN, WITH NO INJURIES TO BOTH TEAMS.....I'll say this , the team that turns it over is in BIG TROUBLE......I said last week I thought 35 would win it.....This week , Ill go with 24.......Go Raiders....

Wouldnt miss it.

• Like 1

It’s about the kids and I’m fairly certain that the kids absolutely love it and I’d venture to say that opposing kids think it’s pretty damn cool as well.  As another Raider (Red Raiders from High Point Andrews), RC should keep it up and be extremely proud of the atmosphere and environment they are providing young people in their community with things like this.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btango said:

I am hoping ACR will be able to do something like this in the future.  It probably won't be the this extent but a little something extra.  

I sat on MP side just because there were more seats available and I'm not a supporter of either team.  I can say the MP fans around me enjoyed the music and commented about how they needed to do more fund raising to up their atmosphere.  Personally I thought the music was a hair too loud; but I'm an old fart.

• Like 1

Games should become an event. Spend the money to increase the profitability. School teachers have no idea how to invest to get a better return because they have never worked in the business sector. If you provide entertainment pregame or at halftime they will buy a ticket instead of spending that money at Cookout and hanging around their cars. There is nothing that says you still have to do it like 80 years ago. Think outside that tiny box.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, GDG said:

Games should become an event. Spend the money to increase the profitability. School teachers have no idea how to invest to get a better return because they have never worked in the business sector. If you provide entertainment pregame or at halftime they will buy a ticket instead of spending that money at Cookout and hanging around their cars. There is nothing that says you still have to do it like 80 years ago. Think outside that tiny box.

I will eat at a school's concesion stand before kickoff before going out to a football game, as well as eat there during halftime.  If I eat somewhere before the game, it will be at a local place before I go to one of the "chains."  The "chain" places are usually open after the game is over.

• Like 1

Having your own personalized Rap song was pretty cool as well.  I had that song stuck in my head when I woke up Sat morning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

GDG. This is Economics 101. If they spend the money for this and this increases the gate, then it will work. However, if it does not increase the gate, then it will go away because it is not economically feasible to spend extra money on things just for those fans who come anyway.

• Like 1

RD28327. I will eat at a school's concesion stand before kickoff before going out to a football game, as well as eat there during halftime.  If I eat somewhere before the game, it will be at a local place before I go to one of the "chains."  The "chain" places are usually open after the game is over.

And if you are lucky they will have a half price sell on all concessions at the end of the game and you will not have to go out to a "Chain" restaurant after the game. Win-Win for you.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Glenn said:

GDG. This is Economics 101. If they spend the money for this and this increases the gate, then it will work. However, if it does not increase the gate, then it will go away because it is not economically feasible to spend extra money on things just for those fans who come anyway.

It has to be continuous. You cannot do it for a couple weeks then drop it. It takes time to see a ROI (return on investment). I’ll tell you what I told employees when I worked for a large corporation. “ Don’t ever show up to my meetings with excuses. Show up with the solution.” 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Glenn said:

The game is losing fans and participants.  That extra money spent now may keep fans coming and get folks to bring their children some that will want to play the game.

1 minute ago, btango said:

The game is losing fans and participants.  That extra money spent now may keep fans coming and get folks to bring their children some that will want to play the game.

Exactly. This is how you build a program.

A coach was complaining about no fans showing up for wrestling matches. He said it was determining if he could go to weekend matches out of town. I suggested he go to principal and ask him to have a match in the final period of the day against a local opponent and let the kids come provided they pay the ticket price. Of course the students would come rather than sit in a class. Not only will you get more than half the student body but also give the sport exposure to those kids who have never thought about wrestling. If you get 800 students at $5 that’s $4000.00 for the team budget. It’s a win-win and you did nothing more than you would do at 5:30pm the same night.

Don’t ever show up to my meetings with excuses. Show up with the solution.

The fact is a corporation has unlimited funds. A HS does not. Most athletic departments barely make ends meet. At EG we are required to have several fund raisers and the proceeds  are used to fund our program. I have been in education for a long time and I know how principals think. I will tell you both that none of the ones I have ever worked for would be willing to spend a large amount of money on a something that I could not guarantee him/her would work. There are no guarantees. The last period fund raiser is a great idea but the fact is that now this is a hard sell especially when you make the rule that only kids who pay $5 to get in can go. The others who cannot have to stay in class. I am not even sure this is legal. This would have been something you could have done 30 years ago but today I see a problem doing this. I am not trying to be negative of either GDG or btango because I agree with them. But my guess is that things are different in this day and age. They don't even want us to have Pep Rally's. At one school I coached at came up with an idea of having a Pep Rally and only the kids who bought an advanced ticket to the FB game could attend. That was the best pep rally I have ever been at, but the next week we were raked over the coals so to speak by the central office. One complaint was that it discriminated against kids who could not afford to purchase a ticket. Another was that the kids who went were not supervised from the classroom to the gym because the teachers had to keep those kids who did not attend. They indicated that we violated several laws in doing what we did. Plus the fact that it took them away from a period of instruction was another complaint. I can see the wrestling match during school and selling tickets could be a problem. In many cases we teachers and coaches cannot win for losing. I agree with btango that attendance is decreasing. When I went to the Reidsville vs Brevard game, Brevard had as many fans as Reidsville. The year we played Weddington for the state championship WA was in our conference. We beat them during the regular season and played them in the second or third round at home and you could not find a place to stand or sit. We had several local teams in our conference and the attendance was great home and away. We made a ton of money that year. The next year we were no longer in that conference and guess what. The fan attendance was no where as good as it was the year before. This is a problem. Teams like Brevard, Tuscola, Pisgah, Robinsville, Swain, Franklin, etc. have great crowds because they are the big event every Fri. in those small towns and they have great support. I don't have an answer. I appreciate the solutions but also realize  that our hands are tied in certain situations.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

One thing I forgot to add is that we have a youth 3 day camp in which the local rec league kids come to our camp. We also have a rec league game at half time between two local teams. We also have a rec league recognition night and a MS recognition night to honor them at half time. I agree that we are fighting for our lives all over the US to make sure HS FB survives. Far too many schools are having a difficult time fielding JV teams and many are having a difficult time fielding enough kids for a varsity team. I certainly do not want to see our sport (the game I have spent most of my life involved in and the game we all love), slip away for good. When and if this happens colleges and the pros will suffer tremendously as well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Don’t ever show up to my meetings with excuses. Show up with the solution.

The fact is a corporation has unlimited funds. A HS does not. Most athletic departments barely make ends meet. At EG we are required to have several fund raisers and the proceeds  are used to fund our program. I have been in education for a long time and I know how principals think. I will tell you both that none of the ones I have ever worked for would be willing to spend a large amount of money on a something that I could not guarantee him/her would work. There are no guarantees. The last period fund raiser is a great idea but the fact is that now this is a hard sell especially when you make the rule that only kids who pay $5 to get in can go. The others who cannot have to stay in class. I am not even sure this is legal. This would have been something you could have done 30 years ago but today I see a problem doing this. I am not trying to be negative of either GDG or btango because I agree with them. But my guess is that things are different in this day and age. They don't even want us to have Pep Rally's. At one school I coached at came up with an idea of having a Pep Rally and only the kids who bought an advanced ticket to the FB game could attend. That was the best pep rally I have ever been at, but the next week we were raked over the coals so to speak by the central office. One complaint was that it discriminated against kids who could not afford to purchase a ticket. Another was that the kids who went were not supervised from the classroom to the gym because the teachers had to keep those kids who did not attend. They indicated that we violated several laws in doing what we did. Plus the fact that it took them away from a period of instruction was another complaint. I can see the wrestling match during school and selling tickets could be a problem. In many cases we teachers and coaches cannot win for losing. I agree with btango that attendance is decreasing. When I went to the Reidsville vs Brevard game, Brevard had as many fans as Reidsville. The year we played Weddington for the state championship WA was in our conference. We beat them during the regular season and played them in the second or third round at home and you could not find a place to stand or sit. We had several local teams in our conference and the attendance was great home and away. We made a ton of money that year. The next year we were no longer in that conference and guess what. The fan attendance was no where as good as it was the year before. This is a problem. Teams like Brevard, Tuscola, Pisgah, Robinsville, Swain, Franklin, etc. have great crowds because they are the big event every Fri. in those small towns and they have great support. I don't have an answer. I appreciate the solutions but also realize  that our hands are tied in certain situations.

Damn you should have left that school a long time ago. That’s some snowflake stuff if I ever heard any. Believe me stuff like this is done every day. People sell freaking candy bars everywhere and only those who sell a certain amount get to do certain things. Illegal- LOL. Is it illegal to charge admission to a football game to students who cannot afford to attend? NO. The world is not equal.

Dont get me started on these city schools who do not support their teams at games. I’ll give you the non PC version but you are going to go nuts. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Glenn said:

One thing I forgot to add is that we have a youth 3 day camp in which the local rec league kids come to our camp. We also have a rec league game at half time between two local teams. We also have a rec league recognition night and a MS recognition night to honor them at half time. I agree that we are fighting for our lives all over the US to make sure HS FB survives. Far too many schools are having a difficult time fielding JV teams and many are having a difficult time fielding enough kids for a varsity team. I certainly do not want to see our sport (the game I have spent most of my life involved in and the game we all love), slip away for good. When and if this happens colleges and the pros will suffer tremendously as well.

Football is a competition. The growth of entertainment options is now a competition. Make your venue more appealing than the others and it will survive. Live like it’s still 1950 and you shall slip away into oblivion. This is how reality works. 

• Like 1

Fund raisers are allowed. Candy sales, magazine sales, etc. are allowed I have been told because they benefit the entire school.  There is a difference between charging admission during the school day and after the school day. Believe me when I tell you that I have asked a lot of questions about doing certain things and have been told that the school system has rules the schools have to follow. Don't blame me. I am simply relaying the explanations I have been given. As with the wrestling match I was told that unless it is a conference match, district match, regional match, or state championship match they could not begin until after the school day was over. Again it is not my rule. BTW nothing you could tell me would surprise me. After coaching for 52 years I have seen and heard it all. Chris is in the fund raising business and probably knows all the rules much better than I do. We need to ask him. I do not know if these things vary from LEA to LEA or if there are state rules that determine what you can and cannot do. If Chris reads this I am sure he will weigh in. As far as me leaving a school because of this, my answer is the kids matter more to me than any in school fund raiser so why would I leave them?

• Like 1

Football is a competition. The growth of entertainment options is now a competition. Make your venue more appealing than the others and it will survive. Live like it’s still 1950 and you shall slip away into oblivion. This is how reality works. 

True. However, the decline I believe goes deeper than this. The concussion issue probably has had more to do with this than we realize. I will say that thank goodness the 1950 rules and equipment have changed. Hopefully we will survive all the negatives that are obstacles today. I sure hope so, I would hate to see the game you and I love decline any further. Plus, I hate to say it but soccer has hurt FB as well. Charter schools as well as private schools as well. I am old, old school and my old, old friends are always telling me that these new rules have made the players not as tough as they were when they played. My answer is the new safety rules have actually made it a better game because now kids who are on the field can do a better job because they are able to play at full speed. I point out that when they played they were always at half speed because they stayed injured all season which slowed the game down. Plus the fact that you guys are a result of what playing with concussions will do to you later on in life. Plus they are now able to play basketball and wrestle instead of having to get major operation during or after the season and missing the entire winter sport.

BTW GDG I appreciate you being a fan.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fatboy said:

Having your own personalized Rap song was pretty cool as well.  I had that song stuck in my head when I woke up Sat morning.

Man you should have heard that awesome southern rock anthem they had a few years back, "We Are the Raiders!"   It was amazing lol  ....no wait.  

Don't think the "City" schools like 1 high school counties where all the attention and $ can be placed at one school. Scotland got flack for its "Jumbo-Tron" a couple years ago... Richmond now catching it about their lights.  They don't have much in these counties but high school football, that's the reason for the "extras" and why the atmosphere is so intense at these stadiums. Don't like the lights....keep em' out the end zone I say...lol

• Like 2

In addition when you only have one school in the county and you're successful everyone (sponsors) jump on the wagon.  Last Friday night's fireworks were provided by a Chrysler Dealer.  If you own a business in Richmond County most likely yours and your employee's kids go or will go to Richmond High.

• Like 5

Glen, the concussion issue is real. I worked with USA Football a few years back and that was one of our biggest concerns. As you mentioned the trickle up effect had already been felt by the NFL. The Heads up program was specifically designed by the NFL to offset suburban movement to other sports like soccer, lacrosse, and baseball, and urban youth from AAU basketball. The studies found that youth were abandoning football altogether at early ages in lieu of these other sports, and the quality of youth football declined significantly. To make matters worse as the quality and participation levels dwindled, we saw a big rise in elite/travel type football teams which then "stacked" youth teams and they played in regular leagues and just killed teams until the post season or travel season. Like AAU basketball, they used the rec. leagues to basically have a regular season sked, not thinking about the overall effect on the game. Most of the physical mismatches which lead to big hits, unfair scores, injuries, happen in these Allstar vs. regular team games. Kidson the regular teams sometimes give up football altogether. 

Bottom line is football is dying and will likely die unless we can find a clear cut way eliminate the effects of concussions or determine exact causes or who they effect the most. We would be silly to think running into other people at full speed repeatedly would;t have an effect on our brains/body. Then the less we hit the worse the game becomes especially along the lines. Not sure of a clear cut solution, but I applaud Richmond for a first class game day experience.  

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2019 at 12:39 PM, raider1 said:

I’ll absolutely make the trip back out there this week for sure. Gotta sit with the Vance folk this time since they represent our conference. Looking forward to the atmosphere again

Only issue I saw was the fireworks prior to kick off damn near set the white hat on fire...they probably should have stopped a few seconds earlier....

Students should truthfully be allowed in free, you make money on concessions. Hell I'd let all kids in free and and the parents will drop them off with $10 and that will be spent on concessions and then the boosters just just take a percentage out and give directly to the school for the tix revenue. More than likely a parent will attend with their kid and will probably spend more b/c they only have to buy one ticket but will want that popcorn/hotdog/drink plus candy and whatever for the kid.

If i attend a FB game wife and kids in tow, it costs me $24 just to get in the gate.....add on concessions and you are looking at a $50/$75 night easy....that adds up when you have kids that play multiple sports.

1 hour ago, SaintFan said:

Students should truthfully be allowed in free, you make money on concessions. Hell I'd let all kids in free and and the parents will drop them off with $10 and that will be spent on concessions and then the boosters just just take a percentage out and give directly to the school for the tix revenue. More than likely a parent will attend with their kid and will probably spend more b/c they only have to buy one ticket but will want that popcorn/hotdog/drink plus candy and whatever for the kid.

I agree on regular season games.  Cannot do it for the playoffs.  Split gate.  Any time the gate is a split the gate that would be an issue but on regular season games it could be worked out.

Kids in free if accompanied by an adult.  Do not want to become a babysitting service like the malls became.

1 minute ago, btango said:

I agree on regular season games.  Cannot do it for the playoffs.  Split gate.  Any time the gate is a split the gate that would be an issue but on regular season games it could be worked out.

Kids in free if accompanied by an adult.  Do not want to become a babysitting service like the malls became.

I'm all for a student ticket price of $2 or something like that, the schools would make it up on the back end with concessions. 

No school at this point should have old style lighting. Everything should have been changed to LED technology bulbs. Better coverage and the LED lights come on immediately. The energy savings are a no brainer for upgrading.