Rate this topic

I am curious if this has come up. Obviously the flashing lights are cool and coupled with the sound system and the crowd make for a unreal atmosphere. 

I noticed after RC scored last night and decided to go for two the strobes continued while MP was trying to signal a defense in. Is there a rule here that prohibits that?? It would seem like there has to be a point after a score when those have to get shut off.

The PA blasted up to every MP snap.  Do not know of a rule against that.  The lights are such a new thing doubtful any issues have been brought up.

22 minutes ago, raider1 said:

Im pretty sure Both  teams were signaling in their plays.........

I am sure your correct but when the lights go dark you cant see the sidelines. I imagine it is very disorienting on the field.

• Like 2

It's not against the rules. It will be. Sit back and watch. The complaints have been filed. The liberals in Chapel Hole won't have a team not bowing down and kissing their rings like Richmond winning anything of substance. 

• Like 1

If it is a distraction to any player and coach on the field or sideline, then it should be against the rules.

Dang, I love that light show, and the Juice and brother with the fireworks...Dang thought I was back in the 90's.....That show was worth my 8.00 even without the game...The atmosphere was like I have not seen it in a while...I was just thinking that Hough was a more physical team than MP....Guess some people had to eat some crow about the coverage of the Raiders defense...Talked with Mr Hughes before the game and thanked him for being the only one of the 4 with going with the Raiders in his pick...Actually got to talk with him after the game and got his thoughts on this  week vs Vance ..I'll just let him discuss it on his pod with the CO ....I AGREE , WISH EVERY KID COULD PLAY AT LEAST ONE GAME IN THAT ATMOSPHERE....Hopefully it will be this way again this coming week...We know V is coming to town....We will give our best effort and Im sure they will also...Lets just play a clean game and let the chips fall where they may....

• Like 3

Heck paying 8.00 to get in , there should be more than a football game...Wife, husband ,2  kids, a little something to snack on....Heck its a distraction when smoke is on the field, its a distraction when the home team has a vocal announcer....Both teams  playing under the same conditions...Slippery field, Big jumbotron, no visiting team dressing room, music I dont like, officials that seem to always cost us the game.....We have something yall dont have, its called home field advantage......Never had a team come to RC and say they had to have the entire visitor side to themselves....Ok going back to our trailors and getting ready to kill some chickens and prepare for another good football team coming to RC for a dogfight...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, raider1 said:

Never had a team come to RC and say they had to have the entire visitor side to themselves....

The visitor's brought a good crowd and I am sure there were some non affiliated folks on the visitor side.  The biggest issue I have seen in the past is that a lot of Richmond "fans" that went to that side did it to talk smack and many would get very aggressive.  That can turn into a huge problem.  Hard to stop it but a good idea to attempt to control it somewhat.

42 minutes ago, raider1 said:

its a distraction when the home team has a vocal announcer....Both teams  playing under the same conditions...

Regarding the PA system, I would say it was not the same conditions.  When MP was on offense the PA blasted up to the snap.  Not so when Richmond was on O.  It's not against the rules so go with it although a referee can halt any "interference" from non players that he deems to hinder the game or to be unfair.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, btango said:

The visitor's brought a good crowd and I am sure there were some non affiliated folks on the visitor side.  The biggest issue I have seen in the past is that a lot of Richmond "fans" that went to that side did it to talk smack and many would get very aggressive.  That can turn into a huge problem.  Hard to stop it but a good idea to attempt to control it somewhat.

Security told me that exact thing. He told me there were issues last week. There were several RC fans on that side on Friday but just a few.

There is zero reason for it and really it's in the best interest of Richmond as well. Any incident that potentially goes down would only end up in RC losing their home field and having to play in a neutral site.

As far as the lights go. I think they are dynamite . Very cool experience but they are gonna have to limit them to entrance and very briefly after a TD is scored if at all. You cant be trying to set your defense and have stadium lights flashing off and on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Richmond and the lights. Vance and their home field last season. Why is it that it seems nothing is conjured up until MP fans arrive?  The PA and band are an advantage. I PA for my school, and the band can play up until the opposition’s  snap. Just as they can play up until a kickoff. There hasn’t been one complaint about RC’s PA and lights being a competitive disadvantage until this post. PA was the same last year, and I didn’t see a post about it after MP took RC behind the woodshed, so we shouldn’t be seeing anything about the PA and lights now. 

• Like 2

Debater, I disagree on the PA aspect.  I go to one game at Richmond every regular season and may be a playoff game.  Not sure it actually was an issue for MP but it was loud.

If it is not an advantage then do the PA the exact same way when the home team has the ball.  Bottom line, It is within the rules so use it...to your advantage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RaiderDebater said:

Richmond and the lights. Vance and their home field last season. Why is it that it seems nothing is conjured up until MP fans arrive?  The PA and band are an advantage. I PA for my school, and the band can play up until the opposition’s  snap. Just as they can play up until a kickoff. There hasn’t been one complaint about RC’s PA and lights being a competitive disadvantage until this post. PA was the same last year, and I didn’t see a post about it after MP took RC behind the woodshed, so we shouldn’t be seeing anything about the PA and lights now. 

The initial question was valid but then we get the Wine and cheese dropped on the table. If the conservative(being a hypocrite on purpose) stiff butt powers that be decide to modify the rules because of Richmond’s lights, than they also need to address some of these wack bands that play during  game while ball is in play and music from PA announcer. Just put handcuffs on all the side entertainment at these games.

I think the PA is the biggest complaint.  When the light show starts it gets pretty dark in the field.  

Handcuffing entertainment should not be the goal.  The game normally slows down after the PAT but there is controlled chaos after the TD and it gets more intense if the offense moves into position to go for two.

Does the PA hinder calling an audible? Directing shifts in receivers? If so it needs to be addressed. I like the lights. Anything that does not creating a disturbance I play or sportsmanship is good for keeping football relevant. 

13 hours ago, Glenn said:

If it is a distraction to any player and coach on the field or sideline, then it should be against the rules.

Then I guess we should just play the game with no bands or fans in the stands.  I generally agree with a lot of stuff you say but I don’t on this one.  

1 minute ago, GDG said:

Does the PA hinder calling an audible? Directing shifts in receivers? If so it needs to be addressed. I like the lights. Anything that does not creating a disturbance I play or sportsmanship is good for keeping football relevant. 

I would say yes.  I agree on the lights.  One guy said he is going back to take his kids thus week because of the lights and fireworks which are part of the pregame entry.

Give Richmond their due, they have improved the experience!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gg4bama said:

Then I guess we should just play the game with no bands or fans in the stands.  I generally agree with a lot of stuff you say but I don’t on this one.  

There is a difference between fans and something that is controlled by the event staff.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btango said:

I would say yes.  I agree on the lights.  One guy said he is going back to take his kids thus week because of the lights and fireworks which are part of the pregame entry.

Give Richmond their due, they have improved the experience!

If I were a visiting coach it would be addressed days before the game with a call to the school. Proactive vs reactive. Whimpering after the game only indicates sour grapes.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GDG said:

If I were a visiting coach it would be addressed days before the game with a call to the school. Proactive vs reactive. Whimpering after the game only indicates sour grapes.

Agree.  If you are aware you should address it ahead and it should go through the proper channels.  If it is not illegal Richmond is not required to comply. 

That is the rub, if it is not against a written rule then have at it but the referee can censure things the school can control such as PA, lights, band, but not fans.

• Like 1

gg4bama,  I am talking about things like lights that hinder someones ability to see (which this article was about) and not about normal noise that occurs at all ball games. I will have to admit that I have never seen this and actually do not know anything about these lights. If it is a part of a pregame or halftime show I have no problem with it. However, if it is something that occurs during the game itself, then I do have a problem with it if it is used to be a distraction to the players or opponent sideline. PA announcers (even those who think they are play by play guys), yelling fans, bands playing, etc. never bother me. The fact is I never pay any attention to them. Lights flashing toward me would bother me.

• Like 1

btango. That is the rub, if it is not against a written rule then have at it but the referee can censure things the school can control such as PA, lights, band, but not fans.

I know you are talking about normal fan activity, but they can remove a fan if he/she go beyond what they consider normal fan activity. Things like extreme profanity, abnormal vulgar display, threats toward players, coaches or officials,  fighting, etc. are grounds for removal and expulsion from future events at this school.

Everyone’s talking about the lights being a distraction but what about a health risk? Those constant blinking lights could give someone a seizure!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Glenn said:

btango. That is the rub, if it is not against a written rule then have at it but the referee can censure things the school can control such as PA, lights, band, but not fans.

I know you are talking about normal fan activity, but they can remove a fan if he/she go beyond what they consider normal fan activity. Things like extreme profanity, abnormal vulgar display, threats toward players, coaches or officials,  fighting, etc. are grounds for removal and expulsion from future events at this school.

As you alluded to, I am well aware.  I was referencing loud cheering, stomping, et al.

I was at a game several years ago where a whistle was blown from the student section twice.  No track and tight confines.  Ref told the home coach and AD if it happened again he would have no issue with a 15 yard penalty or even removing the students from the facility.  It ceased as law enforcement and admin went straight to the stands.

btango. In my first years of coaching I coached the freshman basketball team one year and the JV basketball team for a few years. My team was given a technical foul because the people in the stands were stomping their feet.

• Haha 1

Never happens until U put a whipping on the CMS boys...I take that back , had no problem from Butler.....A lot of respect for them.......Car headlights , band being loud, seizures, health risks, lights flashing toward me, {hope u dont drive at night}Student section yelling Richmond sucks, PA announcer to loud, I dont like the music, smoke , fireworks, to many people on my side of the field,...All because of 15 seconds of lights flashing.....Dang, I heard it all now......Oh how could I forget the flying saucer during warmups.....Dang in the early preseason we actually have a flying lawnmower zooming over the stadium....We want your trip to the ROCK to be UNFORGETTABLE...I think we have done that.....Daddy can we go back to Richmond County again, that was an experience I'll never forget...... 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I was at a game a few years ago and a truck loaded with chickens turned over headed to Perdue for the big kill...Over a thousand chickens running around and a bunch of country folks chasing them on the field..Heck, they just kept on playing the game ..Oh my bad, that was at Richmond a few years  back..No one complained......Now what we need to add to the program is a good old loud speaker PRAYER BEFORE THE GAME TO THANK GOD FOR ALLOWING US ANOTHER DAY TO PLAY AND SAFETY TO BOTH TEAMS....Man that would really open up another can of worms....That is where the real problem is......

Is it true that MP has excess of 3500 students....If so , thats" 1400 " more than  Richmond.......Thats another 3a school.....Add the transfers and rentals and it could be 3600...........One thing about Richmond , every player we have came through our middle school program.....

I don't think a single Myers Park supporter has complained.  It has not been complaining as much as bringing up the scenario.  I find it interesting.

As I wrote, the team entrance with the lights and fireworks along with the crowd were a pleasure.  Absolutely great Friday night extravaganza of high school football.  I salute Richmond and the community for making all of that come together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RaiderDebater said:

Had MP played stiffer competition during NC, maybe the ratings would’ve swung more in their favor. We haven’t even touched on that. 

I don't think anyone should question Richmond having the highest seed.  Personally, I thought Mallard Creek played the toughest schedule in the state and would not have had an issue if they would have been the top seed even with the tie to Dutch Fork.  I was personally glad to see Richmond playing at home.  By far the best 4A venue for a bigtime playoff game.

I started the thread and for the record I am not a MP supporter nor do I have any issue with RC. As usual instead of intelligent conversation you have to get silly little amped up fans making it about some cultural or socio-economic debate. Save that crap for NC Preps where grown men go back and forth beating their chests about a game 17 year olds play.

I absolutely love the entire RC experience.  Lights, fireworks, smoke, blaring music.....it brings an energy that is just unreal. The entrance is the best I have seen in 35 years of watching the game in a dozen states.

None of my comments have anything to do with the final score. That said there was zero question that the lights were an issue after RC scored and MP was trying to direct their kids on defense for the 2 pt conversion. You could see panic on the sideline and players struggling to see their coaches. That is an unfair advantage and not a condition both teams have to play in. Score the TD, flash the lights and blow up fireworks but then return to normal.  It changes the atmosphere not one bit.

On a side note.....I chuckle when RC fans make the rich Myers Park, CMS comments and the poor little chicken farmer snips. Trust me when I say this. There isnt a single CMS school that pours a quarter of the money into their football program than RC. I would be willing to bet the operating budget for the RC football team including coaching salaries is more than the entire IMeck conf. Lights, Fireworks, Sound systems cost $$. So PLEASE leave the poor ole Richmond stuff for someone that buys what you are selling. Google Harding football stadium if you dont believe me.

• Like 2

From that replay , looks like all was quiet before the snap....Whine ...whine...Music was stopped 5 seconds before the last PLAY  OF THE GAME..9000 PEOPLE , COWBELLS, PEOPLE HOLLERING AND ALL MUSIC STOPPED 5 SECONDS BEFORE THE SNAP...Now what...