Jump to content

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

East Burke head coach opening

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

If I were the admin, Derrick Minor would be among my top choices. He lives nearby and would be an excellent pick. I know they also had a couple guys on staff that are good too. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

If I were the admin, Derrick Minor would be among my top choices. He lives nearby and would be an excellent pick. I know they also had a couple guys on staff that are good too. 

Coach Minor should be the top choice but we will see how it plays out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, GDG said:

Not a job for anyone who cares about their resume. 

Talking to coach Minor after he resigned from Foard  he turn down a couple of top coaching jobs  last year  because he did not want to move his family again They has bought a house in mt view area! When he took the Princeton's job in 2012 that team had not won in years and look at them now!! Fred t Foard was the same way !! Coach said he  wants to stay local so there are not a lot of jobs around here for now!!I think he is willing to try and turn that program around also!! If the school Adms works with him I think he is up for the challenge!!He is a AD's dream if you let him do his job and don't work against him like Foard did and you see where they are headed now after he left that job!!Sound like a tough job for anybody for sure!! It will be interesting to see what happens!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, EBborn1911 said:

Talking to coach Minor after he resigned from Foard  he turn down a couple of top coaching jobs  last year  because he did not want to move his family again They has bought a house in mt view area! When he took the Princeton's job in 2012 that team had not won in years and look at them now!! Fred t Foard was the same way !! Coach said he  wants to stay local so there are not a lot of jobs around here for now!!I think he is willing to try and turn that program around also!! If the school Adms works with him I think he is up for the challenge!!He is a AD's dream if you let him do his job and don't work against him like Foard did and you see where they are headed now after he left that job!!Sound like a tough job for anybody for sure!! It will be interesting to see what happens!!

I agree 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the surface, it would take a long time to turn this program around but with the conference they are in (besides Hibriten) the fruit is hanging low. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Schmo said:

On the surface, it would take a long time to turn this program around but with the conference they are in (besides Hibriten) the fruit is hanging low. 

True!! but you never know!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GridIronFan said:

East  Burke Sounds like a tough place to win but with the right coach in place this program can get turned around!! Starting from the little league up.

East Burke ain't a bad place use to be a 4a school and was a good program new schools have chopped there program up. Coach Tom Brown from maiden got them to 3rd round of playoffs few years ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, amaidendevil said:

East Burke ain't a bad place use to be a 4a school and was a good program new schools have chopped there program up. Coach Tom Brown from maiden got them to 3rd round of playoffs few years ago.

The program is definitely down, but the right person left alone, to do the job within the correct parameters can reap benefits of at least respectability at EB. There will not be a boatload of athletes to work with, but the community has always been supportive of the sport not necessarily the head coaches.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard the East Burke football job was finally posted. It will take a special coach to start over at that school starting at the youth all the way up. I would thing they will be moving quick on this job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GridIronFan said:

Heard the East Burke football job was finally posted. It will take a special coach to start over at that school starting at the youth all the way up. I would thing they will be moving quick on this job.

This was once a proud football program it will take a coach with a lot of energy and a new system to get this program back to a least 500.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be a good offense for them for sure.  They aren't the most athletic team most years.  The option game if schemed well can be an equalizer

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Schmo said:

It would be a good offense for them for sure.  They aren't the most athletic team most years.  The option game if schemed well can be an equalizer

Yes  some coaches think you can run a spread offense with no athletes

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GridIronFan said:

Yes  some coaches think you can run a spread offense with no athletes

 

I think you can be more competitive with it if you have a decided lack of speed.  East Burke is not going to put speed on the field like Hibriten but if you can learn to scheme block and control the ball you have  a chance to beat them.  It's not sexy but it can give some teams a better chance to win.  Perfect example, look what Nick Bazzle has done at North Lincoln with his offense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any word on the East Burke coaching job. I seen last week they were taking apps but have not heard anything from my area!!They need to get starting rebuilding this down program. It will take a lot but I feel like with the right coach it can be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waiting to hear something too.. figure they're going to make the announcement before school starts back... odds are Coach Minor is they're man! And Foard will be get another kick in the butt and in the teeth...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Minor doesn't get this job , its because they aren't giving him what he wants and I think If Minor gets this job then He will more than likely have FULL Control or some type incentive to bring him in as HC. Its really Minors Job not to take!

If he doesn't get the job or choices not to take it, Who would be another candidate for this job? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been a few mentions in the rumor mills of Mike Helms for this job.  I like coach Helms, he did great things at Freedom and his dismissal (for what I thought were spurious reasons) was the beginning of a lot of chaos for our program at a very inopportune time.  Minor will do well wherever he lands, and I think he would do a great job for the Cavs, but he might not be the only big name interested.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 7:00 PM, GridIronFan said:

Yes  some coaches think you can run a spread offense with no athletes

 

More than that the fans think this way. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

If Minor doesn't get this job , its because they aren't giving him what he wants and I think If Minor gets this job then He will more than likely have FULL Control or some type incentive to bring him in as HC. Its really Minors Job not to take!

If he doesn't get the job or choices not to take it, Who would be another candidate for this job? 

Not sure who they are looking at but Coach Minor would be a great hire.With time he could get them back to a better place but it would take working in the weight room for sure and getting the youth program to where it needs to be! The Adm will have to be on full board or this will not work for any coach that gets this job.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

Heard Interviews will be starting soon. I hear there are currently 5 candidates to be interviewed for this job. 

 

yes heard the interviews will start after Christmas break!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant wait to hear who they hire..... This is one job i wanna see what rout they go. 

Mike Helms is a great coach and deserves a shot to get back into HC picture. Minor is my pick so im biased towards him but He a great coach, he built up the programs hes been at and Is a great leader. And anyone else who is in this running would be solid but They gotta know this is at least 2-3 year build up so you will take your lumps early but I think if can go 3-8, 4-7  then maybe 7-5 in year 3 or 4 and that would be a good build up for East Burke! 

East Burke has a great stadium , community support! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I seen where Mike Helms when to Hickory 2013/2014 after Freedom high and only stay two years and had a losing record after Freedom so it is had to tell which coach will be best for the long term goal at East Burke. Coach Minor has shown he can win with less talent for sure!! All three schools he was at  had losing records before he turn the program around after a year. Looks like he likes rebuilding programs for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GridIronFan said:

Yes I seen where Mike Helms when to Hickory 2013/2014 after Freedom high and only stay two years and had a losing record after Freedom so it is had to tell which coach will be best for the long term goal at East Burke. Coach Minor has shown he can win with less talent for sure!! All three schools he was at  had losing records before he turn the program around after a year. Looks like he likes rebuilding programs for sure.

Mike Helms - Overall record is 104-78 (57-41) Helms is bit more experiance with being around the HC game for a while and His most successful stops were Northwest Carbarrus in the 90s  and then Freedom in Mid 2000s. He was at East Burke for 2 year back in 1997 and 1998 so he been at East Burke once before. If they wanted more Veteran type HC, Mike Helms would be a good fit. I think his time at Hickory was cut short but He did a good job there for short time he was. Helms is a respected coach. 

Minor: 49-39 (25-19). His best stop is Princeton - His best year they went 12-2. He had stop at Princeton for 3 years, 1 year at Rockingham County, 3 years at Foard. Minors has more of rebuilding program then Helms but Can someone give him a shot to stay LONGER than 3 years? He really should still be a HC at another School but thats topic has been already talked about. Minor is a good YOUNG HC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From a Source:
They haven't decided yet if their will be 2nd interviews yet but If there is not - The Pick will be brought to the Board at the end of January 

I would guess if there is 2nd interviews  then the End of Jan may or may not be the date that it will be brought to the Board . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2020 at 12:22 PM, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

From a Source:
They haven't decided yet if their will be 2nd interviews yet but If there is not - The Pick will be brought to the Board at the end of January 

I would guess if there is 2nd interviews  then the End of Jan may or may not be the date that it will be brought to the Board . 

2 nd round interviews this week!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×