Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hughes

Richmond 35, Myers Park 32 (3rd Round Final)

Rate this topic

I remember a time when Penn St played Miami in a big bowl game and brought their high octane offense down. They did so by playing soft zone and absolutely punishing the Miami receivers after the catch. By the time the middle of the 3rd quarter arrived Miami receivers were looking over their shoulders instead of for the ball. I think someone mentioned earlier.....being physical. Whether or not they can rattle or get to Maye remains to be seen I just think they have to be as physical with whoever touches the ball as they can. Richmond secondary needs some big hits early to send a message no catches will go unpunished. If the receivers get shook it won't matter how good a ball Maye throws. I thought that was a problem with in last years game.....too many players trying to make plays on the ball. Good routes, good accurate on time throws are hard to stop but being in position to tackle should be a priority. Most pics are mistakes rather than great plays. Receivers are going to get open, they're going to make catches, what you do to them after the catch is just as important as being in phase or pressuring the QB.

3 hours ago, Greengold4ever said:

I remember a time when Penn St played Miami in a big bowl game and brought their high octane offense down. They did so by playing soft zone and absolutely punishing the Miami receivers after the catch. By the time the middle of the 3rd quarter arrived Miami receivers were looking over their shoulders instead of for the ball. I think someone mentioned earlier.....being physical. Whether or not they can rattle or get to Maye remains to be seen I just think they have to be as physical with whoever touches the ball as they can. Richmond secondary needs some big hits early to send a message no catches will go unpunished. If the receivers get shook it won't matter how good a ball Maye throws. I thought that was a problem with in last years game.....too many players trying to make plays on the ball. Good routes, good accurate on time throws are hard to stop but being in position to tackle should be a priority. Most pics are mistakes rather than great plays. Receivers are going to get open, they're going to make catches, what you do to them after the catch is just as important as being in phase or pressuring the QB.

And also being physical and throwing them off routes too. The D line jus making the QB uncomfortable...hands contesting passes..clutter and bodies around their feet. Jus like u said jus making the offense uncomfortable and uneasy is what u have to do.

On 11/23/2019 at 3:35 PM, raider1 said:

Four of the 5 offensive coaches for Richmond County actually played for the Raiders.....and two of the 5 defensive coaches played for the Raiders....I think it will take at least 35 to win this game....

Great info

I'm no Myers Park fan but both of MP's receivers have multiple D1 offers (one going to NC State in Jan and the other to Texas A&M); they are used to being hit and double teamed.

I havent seen enough of either team to really feel good about a prediction.  The little I did see of MP in a little less than a half against Hough was scary good. At that point I just thought Hough was terrible but clearly that wasnt the case. 

I just keep coming back to the same thing. How is RC going to defend them differently this time understanding that they havent faced anything close to the offense that MP has. It is just so dramatically different than what they see week in and week out. 

When Vance and Aldridge beat MP last year they decided to play over the top on Bowick and really took him out of the game. Then they came hard at Maye especially in their territory.  My biggest concern for RC is being able to tackle in the backend because regardless of how you play them you are gonna face multiple one on one tackling situations down the field.

6 hours ago, Wrigley said:

I havent seen enough of either team to really feel good about a prediction.  The little I did see of MP in a little less than a half against Hough was scary good. At that point I just thought Hough was terrible but clearly that wasnt the case. 

I just keep coming back to the same thing. How is RC going to defend them differently this time understanding that they havent faced anything close to the offense that MP has. It is just so dramatically different than what they see week in and week out. 

When Vance and Aldridge beat MP last year they decided to play over the top on Bowick and really took him out of the game. Then they came hard at Maye especially in their territory.  My biggest concern for RC is being able to tackle in the backend because regardless of how you play them you are gonna face multiple one on one tackling situations down the field.

I think how we defend this time around will be one of the most interesting things to see.  It is hard for a good team to beat another good team twice in the same year.  We may not have played MP this season, but I think it will be a very similar Team in many aspects. They may be a better too. RC will have some similarities, but definitely much better team than last year.  If our DL can get to Maye along with some blitzing, that will be huge.  If their Oline can prevent that, then secondary will have to make it as hard as possible.  Key to me would be don’t give up the big play and play some ball control.  I will say we didn’t look nearly as sharp against Hough, but probably a combination of things there.  Hopefully we got that off game out of our system.  

Another thing to note is the coaching.  Bryan Till and staff have done a great job.  Coach Till came from Terry Sanford and I think he is starting to get a feel for some of these loaded teams.  Big difference in the level of play now. He is starting to get a feel for the Western playoffs and some of these Charlotte teams.  MP passing is strong.  Vance has a great D.  MC very complete on both sides, etc.  He will adjust and has already made a positive difference.  Now, will this be his year.  I don’t know much about MP and their staff, but obviously, they have done a great job these last two years.  Coaching is more than just physical planning, but keeping the kids strong mentally and focused. RC can be a tough place to coach, so staying focused while keeping the kids focused on the game plan.  Deflecting the “noise” away from the team is part of great leadership.  We will soon see how it plays out.  Like I said before, we should know what doesn’t work this time around.

2 minutes ago, Raider7967 said:

I think how we defend this time around will be one of the most interesting things to see.  It is hard for a good team to beat another good team twice in the same year.  We may not have played MP this season, but I think it will be a very similar Team in many aspects. They may be a better too. RC will have some similarities, but definitely much better team than last year.  If our DL can get to Maye along with some blitzing, that will be huge.  If their Oline can prevent that, then secondary will have to make it as hard as possible.  Key to me would be don’t give up the big play and play some ball control.  I will say we didn’t look nearly as sharp against Hough, but probably a combination of things there.  Hopefully we got that off game out of our system.  

Another thing to note is the coaching.  Bryan Till and staff have done a great job.  Coach Till came from Terry Sanford and I think he is starting to get a feel for some of these loaded teams.  Big difference in the level of play now. He is starting to get a feel for the Western playoffs and some of these Charlotte teams.  MP passing is strong.  Vance has a great D.  MC very complete on both sides, etc.  He will adjust and has already made a positive difference.  Now, will this be his year.  I don’t know much about MP and their staff, but obviously, they have done a great job these last two years.  Coaching is more than just physical planning, but keeping the kids strong mentally and focus. RC can be a tough place to coach, so staying focused while keeping the kids focused on the game plan.  Deflecting the “noise” away from the team is part of great leadership.  We will soon see how it plays out.  Like I said before, we should know what doesn’t work this time around.

Maye is not the fastest QB but if he needs to run he will find his lane

1 minute ago, KoKie34 said:

Maye is not the fastest runner but if he needs to run he will find his lane

I would expect no less, but Hood may be the bigger difference when it comes to taking off and making something out of it.  Maye like to use his arm and he has a good one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raider7967 said:

I would expect no less, but Hood may be the bigger difference when it comes to taking off and making something out of it.  Maye like to use his arm and he has a good one.

Hood must come out with every inch of talent he has in him to ignite his offense 

If I were a RC fan, these would be top of mind questions:

• Exactly how did RC close the gap with a MP team that won convincingly at our place a year ago?  Pretty sure MP improved since last year.
  • How much did Hough improve since Sept when MP was up 68-7 in the 3Q at Hough?   I think Hough improved a lot... how much?
  • RC gave up almost 30 points to a Hough freshman QB...how many points does RC need to put up against a MP D giving up <10 per game?

I agree that front 4 pressure will be the #1 key to the game.  Vance showed that last year holding MP to 13 points.   I expect the MP coaching staff spent an entire offseason working on how to game plan that pressure.   Best game in the state.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PurpleReign said:

If I were a RC fan, these would be top of mind questions:

• Exactly how did RC close the gap with a MP team that won convincingly at our place a year ago?  Pretty sure MP improved since last year.
  • How much did Hough improve since Sept when MP was up 68-7 in the 3Q at Hough?   I think Hough improved a lot... how much?
  • RC gave up almost 30 points to a Hough freshman QB...how many points does RC need to put up against a MP D giving up <10 per game?

I agree that front 4 pressure will be the #1 key to the game.  Vance showed that last year holding MP to 13 points.   I expect the MP coaching staff spent an entire offseason working on how to game plan that pressure.   Best game in the state.

I can just imagine how all these players on both sides are feeling - butterflies

• Like 1

I think this will be a really good game. I have only seen some film of Myers Park and I’ve seen Richmond live. My impression is that both offenses are elite type offenses. I don’t feel that way about the defenses.  I just can’t see this being a 14-7 type game.

26 minutes ago, Crr1968 said:

This game is going to be high scoring. It’s possible the winner might have to score 50+

Possible but I doubt it will get that high - in this game at least

On 11/26/2019 at 2:53 PM, Fatboy said:

I'm no Myers Park fan but both of MP's receivers have multiple D1 offers (one going to NC State in Jan and the other to Texas A&M); they are used to being hit and double teamed.

Richmond is unfamiliar territory for me I plan on getting there early.  Tickets go on sale at 5:30pm Myers Park will have a section closed off in the visitors side of the stadium. Hope Moose III has a great game and picks up where Elijah Bowick left off last year.  

Nothing beats the live atmosphere and NFHS is terrible.  Pumped to see my first playoff game at RC. Pretty rare you get to see what may very well be two of the best QB's in the country next year go head to head in this type of matchup. I am going to try and get on the RC side tonight and will be pulling for them . Not because of some hate for MP but because I think after a pretty long stretch the loyal Raider fans deserve a special season.

I do think the will need some of that magic as I think it will be an uphill battle. Going with MP 37- RC 24 but hoping the opposite. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

This game will be epic. Possibly see a rematch next year. The atmosphere will be electric. 

Yes sir...bout to take a quick nap and head on down there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrigley said:

Nothing beats the live atmosphere and NFHS is terrible.  Pumped to see my first playoff game at RC. Pretty rare you get to see what may very well be two of the best QB's in the country next year go head to head in this type of matchup. I am going to try and get on the RC side tonight and will be pulling for them . Not because of some hate for MP but because I think after a pretty long stretch the loyal Raider fans deserve a special season.

I do think the will need some of that magic as I think it will be an uphill battle. Going with MP 37- RC 24 but hoping the opposite. 

NFHS might not always be the best but for those of us who can't make it down there, because of eye sight at night, it's not good to drive, NFHS is all we have.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wiseman704 said:

What is NFHS? And how do we access that for the game tonight? Is it just sound or do you get a video stream?

NFHS Network.  You need to subscribe for about $10.00 or so.  That's for a month and they stream playoff games and the state matchups.  If one is interested, they can watch games from all over the country.  

2 hours ago, mrhonda said:

NFHS might not always be the best but for those of us who can't make it down there, because of eye sight at night, it's not good to drive, NFHS is all we have.  

Well, that is sad as the HS atmosphere truly needs to be witnessed live. That said it validates what I have always said about you. For all your commentary about under achieving programs or weak schedules you dont even watch games. You draw your insight from what you read on message boards and the 1% of games that are streamed.

You are accurate though. In a pinch NHFS is better than nothing.

32 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

Well, that is sad as the HS atmosphere truly needs to be witnessed live. That said it validates what I have always said about you. For all your commentary about under achieving programs or weak schedules you dont even watch games. You draw your insight from what you read on message boards and the 1% of games that are streamed.

You are accurate though. In a pinch NHFS is better than nothing.

Enjoy the game my friend.  I'd love to be there.  I've been to Richmond once, back in 2009 when Independence played down there.  I agree.  Great atmosphere. I do go to some games, but for a long distance like that, it's a little tough at night sometimes.  But, leading up to tonight, I'm getting ready to watch Katy, TX and North Shore from Houston.  Have a safe drive

Already a lot of cars in the parking lot with folks tailgating.  People lined up at the gates.  Air us a bit crispy!  Thus is what it is all about.

4 minutes ago, btango said:

Already a lot of cars in the parking lot with folks tailgating.  People lined up at the gates.  Air us a bit crispy!  Thus is what it is all about.

Perfect night for football. In line now....lol

• Like 1

First half of football was good but Myers Park needs to tighten up on committing these silly penalties.  A roughing the kicker penalty killed our mometum especially that Moose took it to the endzone.  Also they need to watch Caleb Hood that guy is playing like he Cam Newton Jr he ran on us the very beginning of the game for a TD. 

That TD at the end of the third is looking like the turning point, Myers Park down 4 now with a chance to prove they can play from behind. Listening on radio call from OOS. 28-24 Raiders.

Starting to sound like a comeback won't happen, I'll gladly think of this (and MPs overall inability to get over the hump) as karma for the recruitment of K Howard.

• Like 1

Too all the real Myers Park Fans congratulations on a excellent season, Good job Richmond!!  Sooo long to the message board Hijacker!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That was a heck of a game one of the best high school games I went to.  Raider Stadium is really a tough place to play their crowd bleeds green and gold and they got some good lighting effects going on too.

As far as Myers Park go they went out against a great opponent and they fought to the end.  It just wasn't our night MP had a lot of trouble slowing down the run Hood is good as advertised.  But the main reason I think MP lost was the momentum busting penalties too many holding calls. I feel for Moose III,Porter Rooks, Twan Flip that trio of WR seniors will be missed.  Now time to drive back to Charlotte.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ace Newman said:

That was a heck of a game one of the best high school games I went to.  Raider Stadium is really a tough place to play their crowd bleeds green and gold and they got some good lighting effects going on too.

As far as Myers Park go they went out against a great opponent and they fought to the end.  It just wasn't our night MP had a lot of trouble slowing down the run Hood is good as advertised.  But the main reason I think MP lost was the momentum busting penalties too many holding calls. I feel for Moose III,Porter Rooks, Twan Flip that trio of seniors will be missed.  Now time to drive back to Charlotte.  

Much respect to Ace hes the only true MP fan. Good season my man heck of a season!

• Thanks 1