Sign in to follow this  
BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Tuscola head football JT Postell coach steps down

Rate this topic

This is another big time job that I am sure will attract a few A-list candidates.  I'll put together a list of prospects later, but I have a very good idea who may be near the top of their list. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

This is another big time job that I am sure will attract a few A-list candidates.  I'll put together a list of prospects later, but I have a very good idea who may be near the top of their list. 

With Tuscola's enrollment looking like it's likely headed to 2A, do you think that will affect who steps up? I'm sure the potential of ACR, Asheville and Erwin would scare many candidates away but 2A would look much different for them.

• Like 1

Just now, Bootlegger said:

With Tuscola's enrollment looking like it's likely headed to 2A, do you think that will affect who steps up? I'm sure the potential of ACR, Asheville and Erwin would scare many candidates away but 2A would look much different for them.

I don't think enrollment numbers will scare anyone away from Tuscola.  If the amount of calls and texts coming into my phone at the moment is any indicator, I think they'll have considerable interest. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

I don't think enrollment numbers will scare anyone away from Tuscola.  If the amount of calls and texts coming into my phone at the moment is any indicator, I think they'll have considerable interest. 

I'm talking about going to 2A as a good thing that might pique more interest from coaches, not the opposite. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bootlegger said:

I'm talking about going to 2A as a good thing that might pique more interest from coaches, not the opposite. 

Correct, sorry if I read that wrong.  

29 minutes ago, Wolf4Lyfe said:

If I'm the administration I'd be calling Minor from Foard non stop. He would be a slam dunk for Tuscola. 

I’m 99.9% certain that Minor is not going to move from his current home. But as I’ve said, there will some jobs come open soon that he’ll be the PERFECT fit for. He and I have already spoke, and have a plan that’s better for his family. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chris Hughes said:

I’m 99.9% certain that Minor is not going to move from his current home. But as I’ve said, there will some jobs come open soon that he’ll be the PERFECT fit for. He and I have already spoke, and have a plan that’s better for his family. 

Wherever Coach Minor  goes, I hope he's treated right and given the opportunity to excell. He truly cares about his kids and puts them in the position to become better young men.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

Figured he is trying to stay in the area. I have a feeling the right place will open up for him soon enough..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

Please tell me one of those jobs is Saint Stephens??? We need someone with some energy!

• Like 1

What what I have observed there are no slam dunks at Tuscola. Coach Pursley went there and did a great job during his time there. he got more kids out, was very competitive and won a lot of games on both the JV and Varsity. The thing he did not do was beat Pisgah and for some strange mountain way of thinking that game is all that matters. Even with his accomplishments he was bad mouthed on Carolina Preps and more so on NC Preps by a few Tuscola posters. The complaints were 1. Too old 2, Out of touch 3. Was only in Waynesville 6 months out of the year. 4. Was never in the school except for FB practice. All of these were lies to begin with as well as coming from some fans who have no idea what they were talking about. I would respond to all of these bogus points but I would end up writing a book on why these people were wrong. All of these were made up by a hater. The one about him not being there all the time was ridiculous. He lived there and even though he was being paid for it he was at the school almost every day in the weight classes making sure everything was being done the right way. After FB he would come back to his home in Gibsonville at least once a month to check on it. I know this because he would call me when he came in. My major point is the coach who took over changed the offense. I guess he listened to those bleacher QB's that he needed to go spread and throw the ball 40 times a game. They apparently did not realize that if you do not have a QB, receivers and linemen to perfect this type of offense you are in for a lot of 3 and outs (which gives your opponents offense a lot of opportunities to control the ball and score and it will be a long night. I guess these Bleacher Experts would have been better satisfied if 1. the offense looked modern and like everybody else. 2. they beat Pisgah. They would look good lined up and be 1-10 but the Pursley haters would be happy.

I say all of this to let all prospective Tuscola applicants to be aware of what you are getting into. If you beat Pisgah you can win the job of Mayor Of Waynesville. Understand that the above post are the ramblings of an old worn out mumbling FB coach who no longer has the ambition to be a head FB coach. My ambition after I retire from coaching or am run off is to  hang around Chris Hughes, btango and ConnerP. 🤩

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

What what I have observed there are no slam dunks at Tuscola. Coach Pursley went there and did a great job during his time there. he got more kids out, was very competitive and won a lot of games on both the JV and Varsity. The thing he did not do was beat Pisgah and for some strange mountain way of thinking that game is all that matters. Even with his accomplishments he was bad mouthed on Carolina Preps and more so on NC Preps by a few Tuscola posters. The complaints were 1. Too old 2, Out of touch 3. Was only in Waynesville 6 months out of the year. 4. Was never in the school except for FB practice. All of these were lies to begin with as well as coming from some fans who have no idea what they were talking about. I would respond to all of these bogus points but I would end up writing a book on why these people were wrong. All of these were made up by a hater. The one about him not being there all the time was ridiculous. He lived there and even though he was being paid for it he was at the school almost every day in the weight classes making sure everything was being done the right way. After FB he would come back to his home in Gibsonville at least once a month to check on it. I know this because he would call me when he came in. My major point is the coach who took over changed the offense. I guess he listened to those bleacher QB's that he needed to go spread and throw the ball 40 times a game. They apparently did not realize that if you do not have a QB, receivers and linemen to perfect this type of offense you are in for a lot of 3 and outs (which gives your opponents offense a lot of opportunities to control the ball and score and it will be a long night. I guess these Bleacher Experts would have been better satisfied if 1. the offense looked modern and like everybody else. 2. they beat Pisgah. They would look good lined up and be 1-10 but the Pursley haters would be happy.

I say all of this to let all prospective Tuscola applicants to be aware of what you are getting into. If you beat Pisgah you can win the job of Mayor Of Waynesville. Understand that the above post are the ramblings of an old worn out mumbling FB coach who no longer has the ambition to be a head FB coach. My ambition after I retire from coaching or am run off is to  hang around Chris Hughes, btango and ConnerP. 🤩

Well stated and spot on.

Several factors will affect this job. One is politics. The Big T club wields significant power in the school system and the community. The pressure placed on coaches from this group is huge.

The second is money. Very few booster clubs have the pocketbooks to hang with Haywood County boosters money. Not saying they will add to his check but they will provide all the team needs and so forth.

Third is athletes. there are some players there, but the community lacks the industry to draw a replenishing pool of top athletes. A coach will have to coach up these kids.

The youth league is strong. I wonder if the coaches in the youth program will coach to build a foundation for the High School.

A strong school system for a young coach's kids and a vibrant community awaits the new coach. I moved to Waynesville last spring and absolutely love it.

And the most important factor is simply, Beat Pisgah, period. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/15/2019 at 11:55 AM, Glenn said:

As as a long time Tuscola supporter, this is 100% accurate. What happened to Tommy Pursley here was unacceptable. He resurrected the program and made the kids play with class, excel in the classroom and won games. He also lost to Pisgah two years when he had superior talent. I loved his system, it works with our talent, but defensively we stunk for four years. That might not be all on the Coach. I was proud to have him for a coach and would be fine if he was still here. He was a great asset to the school. I would have loved for my kid to play for someone as great as Coach Pursley. Keep in mind, he was driven out by the fact that our Administration at the time, both at school and Central Office, were in over their heads and weak. We probably had the most incompetent Superintendent in the State. They listened to certain parents who show no interest in the program after their children graduate. If we get the right Coach, ie. one that can make adjustments and coach great defense, we can win. Donnie Kiefer won a lot of games, even the years he didn’t have as much talent, by having everyone coached up and prepared to do their jobs. More importantly, Coach Kiefer knew how to coach up his coaches, which I think is the most important and the most difficult job for a head coach. JMO.

Thanks bamatide13. I took offense from all those negative posts because I allowed myself to do something I promised I would never do which is get emotionally involved. The fact is that Tommy Pursley is a good friend and I coached for him for 10 years at NE Guilford and knew him prior to that should not have factored into all of this but it did. He always told me that as much as he tried to get into the heads of his kids using tactics like saying that the Pisgah game was no different than the other games (which was/is true to everybody except the Waynesville faithful it never seemed to work). It is like they were plkaying not to lose instead of playing to win. I can somewhat understand the mindset of the Tuscola fans but not the mindset of  going 1-10 and beating Pisgah being a good season. I think he said those things trying to take some of the pressure off the kids allowing them to simply play because he felt like the kids did not think they could beat Pisgah. It seems that this ploy made people upset saying things like Coach Pursley does not understand or appreciate how we feel about this game. Personally I have a difficult time understanding that mindset. We are very close to NE Guilford (10 minutes)  but to us it is just another game. We do not put anymore emphasis on that game as we do any other game.  It was that way when I was at NE Guilford when we played EG. When I was at NEG, EG beat us 1 time in 10 years. I have been at EG for 6 years and NE has never beaten us.  We coach our kids up to win each game in its order. We do not want our kids hitting a flat spot after putting all the emphasis on one game. Again, just my honest humble opinion.

• Like 1

My son played for Coach Pursley.  I can say that he brought maturity and professionalism to the program.     What I respected the most was that he emphasized academics, giving an academic award each semester to the top student/player from each grade.

I heard all the gripes- he's not at the school, his offense is boring (the '16 team averaged 42 ppg), he can't beat Pisgah, doesn't take the rivalry seriously, etc.  Ignored was the fact that he tied for the conference championship in '16, turned in the 4th best season winning pct. in 50+ years of the school,  won a playoff game for the first time since 2009,  and sent Webster, Ferguson, and Monday on to play at the next level.  As a parent, I found him approachable- not the good ole boy, buddy-buddy type- but cordial and never failed to take my call or respond to an e-mail or text.

I think that he has acknowledged that it was a mistake to let the media get wind of his not letting one game being greater than another philosophy.  It got spun into a much greater debate than it was worth and soured quite a few locals.  I knew what he meant and it didn't bother me.  It stirred up passions on the other side and lost support on his own side and coaches don't ever want to give material to the opponents.

The "one game season" has developed from two different ideas:

1) the rivalry truly is a mini-Auburn v Alabama 365 day a year topic in the county.  Too many people get too emotionally vested in it.  There is also, what I consider, an inferiority complex developing for various reasons- Pisgah tends to raise more money, has greater booster support, and a perception that for years that side of the county tends to run the educational system here.  Meanwhile the west side has lost jobs, families have moved away and have been replaced by older transplants whose kids and even grandkids are grown and thus have no attachment to our schools nor our community.

2) The conference and classification debacle-  Reynolds is an outlier in this region.  They, skill level wise, are much more comparable to the Cleveland-Gaston Co. talent than anything else around here.  The current version of the MAC leaves schools like Tuscola realistically battling in football for 3rd place at best.  Some of the 80's-90's dads who remember beating Reynolds can't come to grips with the fact that this isn't the same Reynolds they played.  The recent public attempt to embarrass the NCHSAA into dropping Tuscola to the appropriate 2A class failed and did nothing but gain enemies in Chapel Hill.  I think the reality to most folks here is they know we can't win this conference and thus are not going to be too competitive in the playoffs so they'd rather hang their hat on that ONE game.   

Back in the 80's and into the 90's, when Tuscola had the upper hand in the rivalry, there was a lot of pressure on Pisgah coaches to win that game too.  In reality, its probably best that neither school go on long, sustained streaks but we currently find ourselves in the midst of one.   Trying to hire a new coach every few years probably won't fix it.

• Like 2

I spoke to a Big T club member last night, at length, and he absolutely would not confirm any hiring or any interviews for that matter. Have they hired? Wouldn't surprise me if the deal wasn't done long ago and they are just waiting to reveal it.

6 hours ago, Steelers71 said:

Crazy fans with unrealistic expectations for a program that can't compete off the mountain.

Right now they can't compete in the mountains much less off of it.  From the outside looking in, they need a complete overhaul.  

It’s hard for anyone to make a hire after someone backs out on you so publicly Bc everyone else knows they weren’t the first choice. 

I just don't know who they could hire at this point that the fans would be happy with. It's a crazy situation up there. If they weren't happy with Coach Kiefer and Pursley, not sure what they would be happy with. Anyway, as an outsider, I always thought it was a solid program with good support for football. Sucks to see it such a mess. Administration needs to quit worrying about the public wants and be concerned with the needs of the student athletes that play football.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure what you are talking about, totally happy with Kiefer and Pursley, especially compared to the inside hires that were set up to fail to begin with. Half the fan base wants to actually win, the other half wants someone off the Doug Brooks tree or people who went to Tuscola. That part is crazy. But, if you beat Pisgah, they don't give a damn where you are from. Easiest job ever,  just win one game a year, and everyone will come to the games and you can stay as long as you want to. Kiefer owned Pisgah like a cheap suit. Pursley won 21 games in two years and never beat Pisgah, that will get you the hook. It is not complicated, rational, probably not so much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bamatide13 said:

Not sure what you are talking about, totally happy with Kiefer and Pursley, especially compared to the inside hires that were set up to fail to begin with. Half the fan base wants to actually win, the other half wants someone off the Doug Brooks tree or people who went to Tuscola. That part is crazy. But, if you beat Pisgah, they don't give a damn where you are from. Easiest job ever,  just win one game a year, and everyone will come to the games and you can stay as long as you want to. Kiefer owned Pisgah like a cheap suit. Pursley won 21 games in two years and never beat Pisgah, that will get you the hook. It is not complicated, rational, probably not so much.

Coach Pursley retired. My guess is they wish he had stayed. I saw on this site as well as NC Preps a couple of so called fans who were critical of him from the start. After his last season there this one poster (I forget his name) made all kinds of accusations about him. Things like he was never in the school. The truth: He was there almost every day making sure his assistants who had the weight classes were following his program and making sure the kids were working hard. He also was there doing daily duties, etc. I know this for a fact because he and I talked a lot and he was always at the school. My wife and I visited he and his wife one weekend. I saw how neat, tidy, well organized the field house was. He was that way when we were together at NE Guilford. Another was that he spent more time in Gibsonville on the weekends than he did in Maggie Valley. The truth: He almost never came to his home here during FB season. His wife would come once a month to check on things. After FB season he might come once a month. Again I know this because we spoke often. There were some other things but I cannot remember what they were because they were petty things that doing even need to be revived. The point is that some people make up things that the heard from someone else and none of those people involved know fact from fiction. They use these made up things because they either do not like someone or their candidate did not get the job so they try to cast shadows on the person who did get the job. While this goes on everywhere for some reason the fact that Coach Pursley was being criticized for not beating Tuscola. It is almost like well he won 10 games but his loss was to Pisgah. Most FB teams in the entire US would give almost anything to be able to do that every year. I get the rivalry thing but still would much rather be 10-1 than 1-10.

• Like 3

I know a local coach got a call back from Tuscola the other day but he told them he was not interested any more. That lets me know they are still searching and are having a hard time getting a coach to take the job! a lot of red flags with the job!!

Biggest thing is Any school can have Nice Facilities and all that but if they dont have FAN support or no admin support that can hurt who they could hire but I am really shocked that Tuscola is struggling to find a HC. I feel like the community support is there, Admin support seems to be not the best but That area is Beautiful area to live, Its top notch facilities and all  

On 12/24/2019 at 10:06 AM, bamatide13 said:

New coaching hire deal is done. Not verifying name. School Board meets on Agenda for January 6.

How'd that meeting go.. LOL

9 hours ago, HUK daddy said:

How'd that meeting go.. LOL

A lot of drama goes with this job looks like for sure. When I heard a local coach got a call back last week and he turn the job down. sounds like a lot of coaches have turn this job down!!