Chris Hughes

3AA West Bracket Discussion

Rate this topic

11 minutes ago, 84k said:

He's improved alot over the season but it is hard to say about tonight he did have a 42 yard passing rd. We ran the ball all night. Our starting running back had at least 300 rush yards tonight  but over all He's looked real good. 

Sounds like y'all were in a defensive battle all night. 

Anybody still as shocked as me that A.C. won’t be playing for a state championship this year??? I was for certain that those undefeated JVs that moved up this year would carry them to a title. I’ve not slept in 2 days! Please tell me how this happens? 

ps... anyone know when the ring ceremony is for the JV state championship? I don’t wanna miss that! 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jacks2start said:

lol.. boooooo.. it is what it is I guess

At least the Spiders soccer team is doing well in the playoffs. They face Catholic on Tuesday in the state semi finals.

9 hours ago, jacks2start said:

lol.. boooooo.. it is what it is I guess

jacks,, you know i gotta dig at ya or it jus wouldn’t be the same.  hope all is well with you and the family 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1derpop said:

jacks,, you know i gotta dig at ya or it jus wouldn’t be the same.  hope all is well with you and the family 

Sup Pop.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 10:19 PM, Hibriten said:

Anybody still as shocked as me that A.C. won’t be playing for a state championship this year??? I was for certain that those undefeated JVs that moved up this year would carry them to a title. I’ve not slept in 2 days! Please tell me how this happens? 

ps... anyone know when the ring ceremony is for the JV state championship? I don’t wanna miss that! 

Four years undefeated JV teams and not a playoff win in sight. Can’t be right. Over forty wins in a row and can’t win a conference title or beat a low seeded team? I have nothing against Alexander Central. Those folks are cool up there but they seem satisfied hanging their hat on the Baby Cougs and women’s softball. Neither will get anyone’s attention.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 11/12/2019 at 1:14 PM, SaintFan said:

game was over- and it was a great back and forth game- hard nosed play nothing over the top....when the game ends an HHS player 65? I think, flexes towards the home stands, another HHS player comes out with a flag that has HHS on it and was going to plant it on the field. Saint players charge towards HHS players, get the flag and break it....no real fight just a lot of jawing and flexing.....but HHS student section was allowed to congregate at Saint locker room area which made things worse. Just classless by a few HHS players- but I don't ever expect anything less when dealing with them.

I’m a Hickory graduate but I despise how the whole school conduct themselves. If I remember right, the night of the Newton-Conover game a St. Stephens kid was at the game waiting on his girlfriend when he was called over by a group of teens and adults out by the road. Not knowing about Hickory fans he approached and he got punch. Then about 20 hit and kicked him into the hospital with serious injuries. It was a racial attack by blacks on one white kid. Same dung, different sport and year.

43 minutes ago, GDG said:

I’m a Hickory graduate but I despise how the whole school conduct themselves. If I remember right, the night of the Newton-Conover game a St. Stephens kid was at the game waiting on his girlfriend when he was called over by a group of teens and adults out by the road. Not knowing about Hickory fans he approached and he got punch. Then about 20 hit and kicked him into the hospital with serious injuries. It was a racial attack by blacks on one white kid. Same dung, different sport and year.

Yeah, I heard about that. The white kid attended Arndt then transferred to Hickory b/c he wasn't going to be allowed to attend Saint.

5 hours ago, GDG said:

Four years undefeated JV teams and not a playoff win in sight. Can’t be right. Over forty wins in a row and can’t win a conference title or beat a low seeded team? I have nothing against Alexander Central. Those folks are cool up their but they seem satisfied hanging their hat on the baby Cougs and women’s softball. Neither will get anyone’s attention.

Until this year the cupcake non conference schedule hurt them. Never got them ready for the better competition in the playoffs. They have had the talent to win alot of those games. They also have had some bad luck in the playoffs.  Beside 2016 when they got destroyed by Dudley they were all winnable games. 09 or 10 they beat Porter Ridge in the 1st round went to AC Reynolds in the 2nd rd. They lead late in the 4th qt in that game.  Qb got hurt and ended up losing. Ac Reynolds went on to win small 4a championship that year. As far as the jv record. They have the numbers where they dont have to move all their best players up.   They do move players up. They have had several sophomores up the last few years on varsity. 

25 minutes ago, stizz49 said:

Until this year the cupcake non conference schedule hurt them. Never got them ready for the better competition in the playoffs. They have had the talent to win alot of those games. They also have had some bad luck in the playoffs.  Beside 2016 when they got destroyed by Dudley they were all winnable games. 09 or 10 they beat Porter Ridge in the 1st round went to AC Reynolds in the 2nd rd. They lead late in the 4th qt in that game.  Qb got hurt and ended up losing. Ac Reynolds went on to win small 4a championship that year. As far as the jv record. They have the numbers where they dont have to move all their best players up.   They do move players up. They have had several sophomores up the last few years on varsity. 

but why not move ALL of your best players up???

No need to move a kid up if he isn't getting playing time. Plus with the 8 quarter rule you can bring them up some anyways. I think AC just puts more effort into there JV program than others. I know some who complain about the JV teams being neglected. But most understand that JV success doesn't always translate to varsity success which is why few tout there JV record. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HHS2003BEAM said:

No need to move a kid up if he isn't getting playing time. Plus with the 8 quarter rule you can bring them up some anyways. I think AC just puts more effort into there JV program than others. I know some who complain about the JV teams being neglected. But most understand that JV success doesn't always translate to varsity success which is why few tout there JV record. 

few?

I've only seen one person on this forum ever mention their JV record.

• Haha 2

Curious to hear any thoughts on the Northwest Cabarrus vs. Northern Guilford game Friday night.

I'm relatively new to Kannapolis and just started taking my elementary school aged boys to NCHS games last fall since that is where they will attend one day.

I know what the Trojans bring to the table, although I was a little surprised at how close the rematch was with Marvin Ridge last Friday. Without Blake in the backfield I don't think we win that game.

I'm hoping that with round 1 behind us we can finally shake that Cox Mill loss and get back to playing like we did at the beginning of the season.

10 hours ago, 1derpop said:

Been missing that all year Pop,, doing good

On Paper NWC is the better team but we all know that doesn’t always translate to the field on Friday nights. NWC has been able to score pretty much whenever they want or need to this year. The question from the start has been defense and special teams. This years team defense is inconsistent , held Cox Mill to 7 at their house got whooped at our house. Held Brown to 7 gave up 35 to Robinson. Pass rush has been lacking lately and let’s not get started on special teams. Extra points have been hard to come by. Let’s hope that this Friday the NWC  that rolls people up shows up!

1 hour ago, Orange&Black said:

On Paper NWC is the better team but we all know that doesn’t always translate to the field on Friday nights. NWC has been able to score pretty much whenever they want or need to this year. The question from the start has been defense and special teams. This years team defense is inconsistent , held Cox Mill to 7 at their house got whooped at our house. Held Brown to 7 gave up 35 to Robinson. Pass rush has been lacking lately and let’s not get started on special teams. Extra points have been hard to come by. Let’s hope that this Friday the NWC  that rolls people up shows up!

I agree about the lack of pass rush. I noticed that Perkins was only in for a series or two late in the game Friday. Any idea why? That's a big loss on both sides of the ball but especially when rushing off the edge.

1 hour ago, Orange_Black said:

I agree about the lack of pass rush. I noticed that Perkins was only in for a series or two late in the game Friday. Any idea why? That's a big loss on both sides of the ball but especially when rushing off the edge.

I believe Perkins hurt his shoulder against Kannapolis and hasn’t been the same since. The main reason the pass rush is not as potent this year is because there’s no big time interior presence. Last couple years Camara and Barnhardt were beasts on the inside and that opened up the ends to cause havoc. There hasn’t been a consistent interior push this year. They still have good players up there, just not taking up those double teams like years past. 

On 11/9/2019 at 9:15 PM, titanman27 said:

I think Watauga could make it to the Weddington game in the west final.  Playing in Boone this time of year does help and Watauga really executes well.

I agree on the playing in Boone in November. The weather can drastically change in a matter of 10 minutes as the wind coming across the ridges can bring anything quickly. The wind is always blowing and does not favor a passing team.

Add the temperature with the wind and it really affects how a player is able to cope. I’ve seen Hickory temps at 2 hrs before game time in the 60s be 50 in Boone which turn into 25 degree with sleet, snow, and 35 mph winds within one quarter. If you have no exposure to such conditions it punches you in the gut more than the physicality of the game.

1 hour ago, MooresvilleDevil06 said:

Pretty confident Ktown will lose 2-0 this week :D

If that is all it is I will be happy.😄