Sign in to follow this  
MooresvilleDevil06

#6 Mooresville (6-5) vs. #11 Page (3-8)

Rate this topic

We’ll talk about unexpected.... out of all the projected scenarios I saw..... this wasn’t even close to being one of them lol. Something tells me despite their record this is gonna be a tough draw. Glad we get em home and excited we get to play a team we would never see otherwise. I assume Page can match our speed. Idk much about how they are on either side of the ball, just know they played a tough schedule. Thoughts on this one? I’m expecting a pretty close ball game

• Like 1

Just going off the board - They are young and have some injuries so Depending if their Injured players have came back yet or not! 

I do agree Page can match our speed but the youth could help them a little bit but Their 3-8 record is a bit deceiving as They played many good teams so They will bring their A game! I do agree, With Mooresville being at Home will help out ! Mooresville will have to come prepared and cant over look just bc their 3-8!   

It had to be strength of schedule that got them in.  I don't see what else it could be.

They might give Mooresville a fairly tough game.  They have two good QB, a good sophomore RB, and some athletes on both sides of the ball.  However, by the sound of things, Mooresville's been playing rather well the last few weeks.  Unless Mooresville all of a sudden changes their mascot name to "Whirlies", I don't think Page will be too much of a problem. 

Handsdown Mooresville is better and should be favored, but boy this is a scary game for Blue Devils fans.  This Page team, despite all the injuries and issues they may have faced, is still well coached, and loaded with athletes.  It could be a trap game for Mooresville if they aren't 100% focused.  

• Like 1

I think this Mville team is pretty scrappy and could potentially give Page and EF a problem. Defense is good, experience at QB and they have played 4 very good teams this year so I doubt they will have any confidence issues.

• Thanks 1

I called this game a TRAP game as well 

I looked up on Maxpreps they have 2 QB who are pretty solid one has 1,064 yards with 9-4 TD-Int then the other is 788 yards with 10/5 TD-int 

RB- Both QBs can run well. 
then #15 Melton has 99 carries 536 yards and 4 TD's on the season with 2 100+ runs 

They have some Solid Defenders as they seem to tackle well and they can get to the QB esp #8 DeMarkus Bailey with 6.0 sacks with 1.0 hurries along with 2 other guys who have 3.5/2.5 sack respectively with few hurries themselves 

They have gotten only 2 INT on the year but 4-5 fumbles recovered 1 blk punt/fg 

BIG THING LOOK AT FOR IS that they have a FR as their PUNTER/FG Kicker 

They are 2-4 on the road as Mooresville is 2-4 at home as well (*Which is Uncommon to have a 2-4 HOME record imo*) 

Mooresville is scrappy, they will have to bring their A game! Mooresville should WIN but I think this has the potential to be a tough/close contest If Page play well n Mooresville is not focus 100%! I believe Coach Wells will have them ready! Should be a FUN one inside coach Joe Popp Stadium! 

• Thanks 1

Page is pretty banged up, running on the 3rd and 4th string backs. Melton, the sophomore, has been out for 4 weeks with a concussion. Page hasn't had much success handing the ball off to runningbacks this year anyways, the blocking up front has been subpar when you compare with how its been in the past. The bulk of the rushing carries are from QB Paige running the ball

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Page has never really had a ton of size on the lines. Even in 2011, Page was vastly undersized compared to Mallard Creek and Butler, but usually Page makes up for that in pure scrappiness and heart.. something that IMHO has been lacking recently....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WHPco06 said:

Page is pretty banged up, running on the 3rd and 4th string backs. Melton, the sophomore, has been out for 4 weeks with a concussion. Page hasn't had much success handing the ball off to runningbacks this year anyways, the blocking up front has been subpar when you compare with how its been in the past. The bulk of the rushing carries are from QB Paige running the ball

So do we know who all out for this game injury wise so Melton won't be ready to go?

23 minutes ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

So do we know who all out for this game injury wise so Melton won't be ready to go?

No clue to be honest, I'm not the team doctor or athletic trainer. Some might be back, some maybe not.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

Where all the page supporters at bc i know there at least 2-3 others 

How am i supposed to know? I've only ever known myself to be a consistent Page supporter/poster on HS FB messageboards for the past 15 years. Everyone else posts very very sparingly

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

Handsdown Mooresville is better and should be favored, but boy this is a scary game for Blue Devils fans.  This Page team, despite all the injuries and issues they may have faced, is still well coached, and loaded with athletes.  It could be a trap game for Mooresville if they aren't 100% focused.  

I agree with Chris 100%. This is typical trap game where Page will come in playing with house money, and those teams can be the scariest. 

Mooresville has been playing fairly good ball lately against some better teams. Always a good trend heading into the playoffs. Blue Devils are 1-5 vs triad area teams over the last 3 seasons including playoff losses to Grimsley this year and East Forsyth the year before.

Should be an interesting game. My initial thoughts would give the Blue Devils a slight edge in this one.

• Thanks 1

Page has struggled with arguably the toughest non-conference schedule in NC this year.  Looking at non-conference...the teams are a combined 57-19....all going to the playoffs.  Add in Grimsley at 10-1 and you can see the challenge.  Played the reigning NC state 4A champs followed the next week playing the Virginia state 5A champs (4x I think).  Not bringing up injuries because all teams have those this time of year.  All that is great but you are what your record says you are.

Page graduated 26 seniors last year with several still playing at the next level.  That said, Page does have talented players but they are young in many positions.  They play hard but make mistakes.  Not saying they will win but I wouldn’t take them lightly.  Trust me...this could be interesting.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

I called this game a TRAP game as well 

I looked up on Maxpreps they have 2 QB who are pretty solid one has 1,064 yards with 9-4 TD-Int then the other is 788 yards with 10/5 TD-int 

RB- Both QBs can run well. 
then #15 Melton has 99 carries 536 yards and 4 TD's on the season with 2 100+ runs 

They have some Solid Defenders as they seem to tackle well and they can get to the QB esp #8 DeMarkus Bailey with 6.0 sacks with 1.0 hurries along with 2 other guys who have 3.5/2.5 sack respectively with few hurries themselves 

They have gotten only 2 INT on the year but 4-5 fumbles recovered 1 blk punt/fg 

BIG THING LOOK AT FOR IS that they have a FR as their PUNTER/FG Kicker 

They are 2-4 on the road as Mooresville is 2-4 at home as well (*Which is Uncommon to have a 2-4 HOME record imo*) 

Mooresville is scrappy, they will have to bring their A game! Mooresville should WIN but I think this has the potential to be a tough/close contest If Page play well n Mooresville is not focus 100%! I believe Coach Wells will have them ready! Should be a FUN one inside coach Joe Popp Stadium! 

How in the world can you call a playoff game a trap game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 84k said:

How in the world can you call a playoff game a trap game.

Because Just bc Page is 3-8 n we may OVER LOOK them or something n or dont take them as a BIG threat , then It is a Trap game as well your coming off a LOSS so u cant come out FLAT and such so That is How! and also Page is probably the best 3-8 team in NC! 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

Because Just bc Page is 3-8 n we may OVER LOOK them or something n or dont take them as a BIG threat , then It is a Trap game as well your coming off a LOSS so u cant come out FLAT and such so That is How! and also Page is probably the best 3-8 team in NC

No, Page is just the most respectable 3-8 team left, but make no bones about it, there are no good 3-8 teams!  It's still a bad year for the Pirates even by making the playoffs, their fans complain about 7-win seasons.  Now they're out of their mind crazy! (Which I can appreciate, at least they care!)

But to your overall sentiment, I do agree with you BlueDevilsBiggestFan. 

• Like 1

Chris is correct....you should hear some of the craziness this year from fans.  You are what your record says you are....and they’re 3-8.  Not enough lipstick in NC to work on that.  But......bet Page wins Friday night though.  🙂

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

No, Page is just the most respectable 3-8 team left, but make no bones about it, there are no good 3-8 teams!  It's still a bad year for the Pirates even by making the playoffs, their fans complain about 7-win seasons.  Now they're out of their mind crazy! (Which I can appreciate, at least they care!)

+1

• Thanks 1

I know kids that play at Page and they can play, but is it apparent their "holes" outweigh their solid areas.  Their sophomore QB is sharp.  Pocket passer sharp, but from what I have heard their O-line isn't allowing him to show what he can do.  Also, on defense they have at least one D-1 commit, but apparently the holes are too big to fill in.  They have had some issues at Page this year outside of football that didn't help I'm sure.  Good luck to the Pirates though.  I always rep for "the 'boro"!! 🙂

• Thanks 1

Atmosphere should be a good one Friday... we always pack up the place but I’m pretty sure I’ve heard people say Page travels well. Now 3-8.... maybe some won’t make the trip from Greensboro to Mooresville but I’d expect a solid crowd from Page. Playing new teams like this is why I love the playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MooresvilleDevil06 said:

Atmosphere should be a good one Friday... we always pack up the place but I’m pretty sure I’ve heard people say Page travels well. Now 3-8.... maybe some won’t make the trip from Greensboro to Mooresville but I’d expect a solid crowd from Page. Playing new teams like this is why I love the playoffs. 

The Page fans should all pack in and enjoy the What-A-Burger for their pregame meal.  They won't leave disappointed. A What-A-Cheeseburger, fries, and a Witchdoctor is just what the doctor ordered. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Idontknownunting said:

I know kids that play at Page and they can play, but is it apparent their "holes" outweigh their solid areas.  Their sophomore QB is sharp.  Pocket passer sharp, but from what I have heard their O-line isn't allowing him to show what he can do.  Also, on defense they have at least one D-1 commit, but apparently the holes are too big to fill in.  They have had some issues at Page this year outside of football that didn't help I'm sure.  Good luck to the Pirates though.  I always rep for "the 'boro"!! 🙂

Page has 2 D1 commits on Defense.  Isaiah Fisher-Smith (safety) is committed to Duke and CJ Crump (CB) is committed to ECU.  Both play some at receiver.  Both can run like the wind.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PureBull said:

Page has 2 D1 commits on Defense.  Isaiah Fisher-Smith (safety) is committed to Duke and CJ Crump (CB) is committed to ECU.  Both play some at receiver.  Both can run like the wind.  

Isaiah Oglesby looks to be your Teams leading Tackler and DeMarkus Bailey leading with 6 sacks and 10 hurries on QB on the season 

• Like 1

So all you Mooresville fans on here, tell us Page fans some stuff about your team this year. Who are the key athletes and playmakers to watch out for on both sides of the ball? What kind of defense do you run? Run heavy, pass heavy or balanced offense?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, WHPco06 said:

So all you Mooresville fans on here, tell us Page fans some stuff about your team this year. Who are the key athletes and playmakers to watch out for on both sides of the ball? What kind of defense do you run? Run heavy, pass heavy or balance offense?

I would say We are a Run First time like normal but we will pass and keep you honest on the defense but i would way we 70-80% run with the rest of passing at 20-30% passing. 

Key Athletes: Justin Torrence (WR/RB) - Good Speed, Good Hands -- KeShaun Black is a another speedy WR -- Mooresville has many RBs but 2 I like is Glenwood Robinson - Very hard running and Tough -- Ashton Edstrom -- Good Vision, Tough and Our Main Back -- QB Hunter Debo He has a solid arm which can slang it better than anyone and He is somewhat mobile and he is pretty tough -- OLB/SS Malik Burchett HE is Probably our best defender , Always in plays, good tackler and is a great player.  -- Some of our better linemen are Eli St George, Cameron clark , Zaheir Barnes-Vaughn and CB Elijah Wilson - He has good vision , good speed and He done very well on pass break ups/INT and He can match anyone speed  

22 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

I wouldn't call it crazy, more like passionate and we don't like to watch bad football 🙂

• Like 2

Page has a few handfuls of really talented Sophomores, and a handful of Freshman on the Varsity squad this year.

Shaw, Melton, Morehead, Sherrill, Barnett, Soliman, Montgomery, Weaver, Thomas, McCray, Butler, Mickens, Payton, Smith, and Bestman

At the end of this school year Page will lose another 23 seniors, and there are only 12 juniors on the team. So I guess the team will pretty darn young next year too...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WHPco06 said:

Page has a few handfuls of really talented Sophomores, and a handful of Freshman on the Varsity squad this year.

Shaw, Melton, Morehead, Sherrill, Barnett, Soliman, Montgomery, Weaver, Thomas, McCray, Butler, Mickens, Payton, Smith, and Bestman

At the end of this school year Page will lose another 23 seniors, and there are only 12 juniors on the team. So I guess the team will pretty darn young next year too...

Page will be OK - They will learn from their mistakes but the guys coming up from JV will have to fill up the holds n gap and learn! 

13 hours ago, WHPco06 said:

Melton is no longer on the team. He was in the stands for the Grimsley game.

• Thanks 1

How in the world can you leave out Ryan Jackson from the list of Key players?  Kid has made plays all over the field.  If he had size would be a solid D1 Prospect.  IMO,  a team like Charlotte could use a player like Jackson.  If he desires to play at the next level,  he will make some team very happy they took him, even at his smaller size.  Kid plays with huge heart and  is always around the football.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BigBlue94 said:

How in the world can you leave out Ryan Jackson from the list of Key players?  Kid has made plays all over the field.  If he had size would be a solid D1 Prospect.  IMO,  a team like Charlotte could use a player like Jackson.  If he desires to play at the next level,  he will make some team very happy they took him, even at his smaller size.  Kid plays with huge heart and  is always around the football.

I meant to put him on there as well.....I may overlooked it when I was typing but I tried to also show our Linemen some love as they dont get the love they deserve at times and Those other players are just as important. I think we have many good players in every position ! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Page Pirates 1989 said:

Melton is no longer on the team. He was in the stands for the Grimsley game.

So they sat him out for the remainder of the season? Or is his football career over?

On 11/11/2019 at 7:11 PM, WHPco06 said:

So all you Mooresville fans on here, tell us Page fans some stuff about your team this year. Who are the key athletes and playmakers to watch out for on both sides of the ball? What kind of defense do you run? Run heavy, pass heavy or balanced offense?

We’re pretty balanced offensively. We have a strong armed QB that has played his best ball down the stretch. Have a couple very physical RB’s that we rotate in and out. Have an absolute speed demon (track champion) at WR, along with a couple sure handed WR’s. And a tight end that is a pretty good run blocker but also runs good routes. I think our offense is unique... we run various different styles. Defensively..... SPEEEEEED. This is far and away the fastest defense we’ve had, possibly ever. We don’t have a ton of size. But I wouldn’t consider us small either. 

Should be an even game. Page lost to W. Forsyth and Mooresville also lost to W. Forsyth. Page played them a lot closer than did Mooresville. They both lost to Davie. Those were the only two schools that each played. Plus the fact that this comparison means nothing.  Match ups mean more than scores.