Sign in to follow this  
WHPco06

What happened at Page this year!?!?

Rate this topic

Page goes 3-8, places 3rd in the conference, lost to the arch rival and missed the playoffs.

Last season was bad, and this season was worse.

Some people say that it was the schedule that was Page's demise, but Page loses to Davie, Northern Guilford, Dudley, and Ragsdale, 4 games Page probably should have won, looking back at what happened in those games. Page is supposed to be able to compete with teams like East Forsyth and West Forsyth. Highland Springs should have been the only game were Page was out-manned and destined to lose. The schedule was not the reason why Page lost so many games this year.. Some people say that it was because Page had so many injuries, but injuries are part of the game, and all teams experience injuries at one point or another. Injuries are not the reason why Page lost so many games this year.

Coming into the season (this summer), Page had a Senior QB, Senior RB, 3 senior DBs who all had D1 offers, and a lot of other talented players on both sides of the ball all over the field. A lack of talent or being young is not the reason why Page lost so many ball games this year. With the tradition that Page has, kids normally want to play on a team like Page, but for some reason some of those leaders that Page was supposed to have transferred out of the program, I don't know the exact reasons why for most of them (RB Adams to Dudley, and CB Butler-Garner to NE Guilford), but it happened and it caused Page to play younger players early on in their development. Page was not really supposed to be as "young" as they were this season, but something down the line didn't click and it didn't bode well.

Call it a down year, call it whatever you want. But it wasn't a down year because of a lack of talent or because the schedule was tough. A lot of Page alumni who have been going to games for 40-50 years think it is a lack of direction and output from the higher ups within the football program. AND, even if it was a lack of talent, we've seen in the past where less than average talent at Page be able to flourish because they were led properly. Page this year, lacked fundamentals, lacked discipline, they lacked motivation and they did not execute well. All of this is directly tied to coaching and NOT because of the players or the schedule. It seems like a lot of the kids are just not on board right now, they aren't making the scrappy hard-nosed plays that we are used to seeing. A good coaching staff could take our kids to the playoffs, even with the "brutal" schedule and injuries. They can coax ok players to be good, good players to be really good, really good players to be exceptional. We have not seen that with the current coaching staff. Its been 3 years now, and it's progressively gotten worse as time has gone on.

The bottom line is, this is all for the kids. They want to win, and they want opportunities to play at the next level. if the level of play on the team is diminished, those opportunities go away. Page supporters love football, and have seen what it takes over the years. We want to see the best opportunities for the kids.

Injuries to key players. Some season ending and some long term. Too many sophomores starting in key positions. 4 players transferring to other schools. I never remember a Page team that prospered with less than average players. I saw them play DC this year and they lost because of making too many mistakes. Then they all of a sudden caught fire at the end but it was too little to late. At any level it is really tough to win with young players.

I agree with WHPco06 Call it a bad year because of injuries, youth, or whatever you like but it all goes back to coaching. Rolfes W/L has declined in his 3 years at Page which shouldn’t  be a surprise considering he was a sub . 500 HC coach. I am sure Rolfes is a great guy, but I have said it from the day they announced  his hiring that he wasn’t the right coach for Page. He will get more time here, but I just hope the admin don’t sit on their hands and let a once great program become an after thought because the coach is a nice guy. 

Page graduated 26 seniors last season. Yes 4 players transferred....one family moved to Charlotte, one player’s father became AD at Grimsley, one player transferred to his 3rd school in 4 years, and not sure about the 4th player. That is losing 30 players in one year. 

This young team played what many may argue was the most difficult schedule in the state. Add in injuries and all that equals a tough year for the Pirates. 

They will come back next season a better team! 

I really do hope so!
But, the lack of development, lack of fundamentals, lack of discipline has been happening for the past 3 seasons, it wasn't just this year.

But, the lack of development, lack of fundamentals, lack of discipline has been happening for the past 3 seasons, it wasn't just this year.

And you know this how? Did you spend a lot of time at their practices? 

3 hours ago, Glenn said:

And you know this how? Did you spend a lot of time at their practices? 

I've been to a hundreds of Page practices, scrimmages, and 7-on-7's over the past 15 years. Yes, you can call it an obsession.

I can say with 100% confidence that some players over the past 3 years didn't develop like we thought they should have..
Blocking and Running scheme is a fundamental building thing on offense, and that has been lackluster this year..
Discipline has been all over the place over the past 3 years, with bonehead penalties and poor sportsmanship more often than we would like to see at Page.

It is what it is though, im kind of tired of talking about it at this point. I just hope things get a lot better quick!

WPH

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully they will. Thanks for being an obsessed fan. We lost to them a 3 years ago (had it not been for 2 aiding the runner penalties - which I have not seen called since then, we win the game) but I thought that they were a pretty good team. That was Paiges soph year. I think he was a better all around QB then than he was this year. He looked like he had gained too much weight this year which hurt the mobility he possessed his soph year.

On 11/9/2019 at 12:30 AM, WHPco06 said:

Page goes 3-8, places 3rd in the conference, lost to the arch rival and missed the playoffs.

But.... they made the playoffs as an 11 seed. 

So it seems like the administration agreed with the hardcore fans at Page all along. We are glad they saw what we did. Now it's time to get the right guy in there to lead our young men with fundamentals, discipline, grit and determination.