Sign in to follow this  
Knights

10-0 Robbinsville at 9-1 Murphy

Rate this topic

Should be a good game. This is a hard pick for me. If it was at Robbinsville I'd pick the Knights but it's in Murphy so it's a toss up.

Would love to see this game. Winner becomes or remains the 1a state title favorite. With the injuries on the Murphy line can Robbinsville take advantage with the Anderson/Hooper show? Will Gentry do Gentry things and figure out a way to slow the Robbinsville run game? If not for senior night at Mitchell, I would take a vacation day and make the trip.

Early week prediction is Robbinsville by 6. I actually have no idea but with the way Robbinsville rolled Swain that's my prediction.

Go Mountaineers 

• Like 1

Home field is really important in these big games, we all saw that last year when Robbinsville gave Murphy a really tough game at Big Oaks but got manhandled at the Hill. It was big in the Murphy - Mitchell game last year too, Mitchell had a great homefield advantage with their crowd and that energy, even the field itself was a nice home team perk. No disrespect when I say this, but I'm not sure that game goes down like that had it been at The Hill. 

Anyway my point is when two good teams meet up home field can sometimes be the difference. If Robbinsville is in fact better than Murphy this year (and they may well be) home field can even things up unless there is a big gap. I thought Robbinsville had a little more talent than Murphy in '09 but 'Dogs had home field and that was the difference in my opinion

We got this, and for next few years also. R'ville is getting back to the tradition of putting #'s on the sign. The only thing that could change this fact is if they make us play schools twice our size like they did in the 90's

1 hour ago, rville20 said:

We got this, and for next few years also.

Murphy's current sophomores and juniors won the SMC on JV's in 2017 and 2018. I know JV results dont guarantee varsity success but those classes have a lot of talent. Murphy returns more contributors than anyone in the conference next season, 'Dogs are only starting 3 seniors on either side of the ball. The only two that will be truly difficult to replace are Murray at RB and Stalcup at DT, so I'd be careful with those predictions of crowning Robbinsville just yet.

If Murray was coming back I don't think anyone in the west 1A or 1AA beats Murphy next season, but since he isn't and the game is at Big Oaks next year it will be probably be a tossup assuming Murphy finds another solution in the backfield to go with Wood and Rathburn, otherwise Robbinsville may be favored next year.

There are two very talented in house skill options for Murphy that haven't played the last two years but word is one of them may play his senior year next season. There's also the possibility of a transfer, which may happen if you take the kid at his word. I'll remain skeptical though on both of those fronts until I see new faces at the practice field next summer.

Even if neither of those things happens I fully expect Abling and Allen to make big jumps next season as this is their first and second year of playing football, both have the talent to develop into impact skill players next season, Abling just needs more experience and Allen just needs more maturation physically (i.e. too skinny, needs weight room). 'Dogs also have a new kid from Georgia, Caleb Hyde. Hyde is a 6'3 sophomore, has only been at Murphy for a little over a month and has never played football before but he has talent and from all accounts is a very hard worker, he could develop into a weapon at TE next year. 

2 minutes ago, GoodKNIGHT said:

You gotta admit for a school with 350 kids Robbinsville athletics has it going on..Football, Softball, Wrestling, Volleyball 

This is a statement that I for one cannot in any way disagree with. 

Go Mountaineers 

• Like 1

Robbinsville has done really well the last 5 or 6 years. 

1 state title in football 

1 state title in wrestling 

2 western championships in football

3 western championships in wrestling 

Softball western appearance loss to the state champs in the bottom of the last inning by 1. Count was 2 strikes and 2 outs and they hit a 2 run homer to beat us. 

Volleyball 1st ever SMC title, 1st ever tournament title, ANF 1st ever 4th rd appearance. Only 3 seniors. 

You will start seeing the girls bball team play for a conference title the next 4 seasons.