Vik-Val 86

Basketball teams to watch this year

Basketball is around the corner and I’m looking forward to another season. What teams will be at the top. l would like to see some good basketball this year. Who will be the big dogs this year. This is also for the girls teams as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel good about the Lady Patriots this year, we lost two starters-both are playing collegiately-but we get back six who played substantial minutes including our leading scorer.  We got three transfers who will make big contributions and I think we can run most teams into exhaustion with our depth.  Three players have already inked scholarships and I think a couple more could sign by year’s end.

The Patriots could also be very good, but there is some uncertainty here.  We have a new head coach, and this is his first head coaching job, but he is a known quality at FHS and I think the players have confidence in him.  We lost three starters who were our three top scorers, but we were deep and return probably nine kids who can play.  Overcoming the injury bug will be key for this team as we were without two of our top kids last year due to injury.  Our boys also will probably push the tempo, which is fun to watch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We're not too far away folks!

I'll throw a few out there......

Boys

4A:  NW Guilford, North Meck, Vance, Millbrook, Apex Friendship, Leesville Road

3A:  Ben L. Smith, Eastern Guilford, Northern Guilford, AL Brown, Southern Durham

2A:  Farmville Central, Lexington, Atkins, Reidsville

1A:  Bishop McGuiness, Henderson Collegiate, North Rowan, Voyager Academy, Winston Salem Prep

Girls

4A: Ragsdale, NW Guilford, Glenn, Cary

3A: Southeast Guilford, SW Randolph, Asheboro, Chapel Hill

2A: Forbush, TW Andrews, North Davidson, Farmville Central

1A:  Mount Airy? Bishop? Chatham Central?   Don't have a clue here.....

I'm probably forgetting several others.  These are the teams I'm looking forward to watching the most.

1 hour ago, Chute Boxe Hero said:

Boys

3A:  Ben L. Smith, Eastern Guilford, Northern Guilford, AL Brown, Southern Durham

1A:  Bishop McGuiness, Henderson Collegiate, North Rowan, Voyager Academy, Winston Salem Prep

Girls

I'm probably forgetting several others.  These are the teams I'm looking forward to watching the most.

Chute Boxe Hero you got to come west and watch Mountain Heritage play at some point this year. Only graduating 1 player we should have a pretty good team returning.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chute Boxe Hero said:

Boys

Girls

Chute I like all your Picks.

4A - Vance should be pretty good this year. Can North Meck get over that 3rd round hump in the playoffs this year? I see this year could be a year where the East is more loaded than the West. Carter Whitt of Leesville Road may be able to carry the load along with the supporting cast. But can that sustain in the playoffs? The road to the State Championship will not be a cake walk in the East. I would add RJ Reynolds to the mix in 4A as well. They did lose Mysta Goodloe to graduation but return 3 double digit scorers from last year, which 2 were Sophomores. They also play Vance, Winston Salem Prep, and Bishop McGuiness all before Christmas. That would be a good measuring stick for them. I would say it will be between NW Guilford and RJ Reynolds for the crown of best team in the Triad. Independence, Ardrey Kell, and West Charlotte will be in the mix in Charlotte as well. Can never count them out. 

3A - This could be wide open on the boys side. I would like to see Ben L. Smith and Parkland take significant strides this year. Parkland returns their PG Camian Shell, who's also a pretty good Football player. Eastern Guilford should be back in the mix this year as well. One team that intrigues me is going to be Durham Jordan. I want to see how Rasheed Wallace can translate to HS basketball coach.

2A - Atkins lost their best player over the summer to transfer. Reidsville should be in the thick of things as well. West Stokes is a team that always intrigues me. As well. To be in a conference with Winston Salem schools and always seem to hold their own. My pick is Farmville Central/East Lincoln state finals though.

1A - Winston Salem Prep. I know everyone hates seeing them in the thick of it every year, but you cannot deny their success. Bishop McGuiness looks like they've figured them out. After losing to them 3 times last year and then beating them in the playoffs at their place was big time. I know Winston Salem Prep lost their top 2 scorers but also return 3 Starters. Bishop McGuiness also returns one of their best players. Can they keep that momentum going from last season?

• Like 1

Along with those mentioned.

Boys:

3a/4a no idea

2a: Mountain  Heritage will be a tough out as 84 mentioned.

1a: Just look at the charters and pick one

Girls:

3a/4a.  No idea

2a- Defending state title winner Mountain  Heritage would top my list

1a: Murphy, East Surry (even with losing there best player), Cherokee, Robbinsville?, and Mitchell 

On 10/29/2019 at 8:04 AM, Heritage 84 said:

Chute Boxe Hero you got to come west and watch Mountain Heritage play at some point this year. Only graduating 1 player we should have a pretty good team returning.

It's a bit of a hike for me but I'd love to come up there.  I've played disc golf up around that way a few times.  Beautiful area. 

On 10/29/2019 at 9:44 AM, NCHoopsFan24 said:

4A - Vance should be pretty good this year. Can North Meck get over that 3rd round hump in the playoffs this year? I see this year could be a year where the East is more loaded than the West. Carter Whitt of Leesville Road may be able to carry the load along with the supporting cast. But can that sustain in the playoffs? The road to the State Championship will not be a cake walk in the East. I would add RJ Reynolds to the mix in 4A as well. They did lose Mysta Goodloe to graduation but return 3 double digit scorers from last year, which 2 were Sophomores. They also play Vance, Winston Salem Prep, and Bishop McGuiness all before Christmas. That would be a good measuring stick for them. I would say it will be between NW Guilford and RJ Reynolds for the crown of best team in the Triad. Independence, Ardrey Kell, and West Charlotte will be in the mix in Charlotte as well. Can never count them out. 

3A - This could be wide open on the boys side. I would like to see Ben L. Smith and Parkland take significant strides this year. Parkland returns their PG Camian Shell, who's also a pretty good Football player. Eastern Guilford should be back in the mix this year as well. One team that intrigues me is going to be Durham Jordan. I want to see how Rasheed Wallace can translate to HS basketball coach.

2A - Atkins lost their best player over the summer to transfer. Reidsville should be in the thick of things as well. West Stokes is a team that always intrigues me. As well. To be in a conference with Winston Salem schools and always seem to hold their own. My pick is Farmville Central/East Lincoln state finals though.

1A - Winston Salem Prep. I know everyone hates seeing them in the thick of it every year, but you cannot deny their success. Bishop McGuiness looks like they've figured them out. After losing to them 3 times last year and then beating them in the playoffs at their place was big time. I know Winston Salem Prep lost their top 2 scorers but also return 3 Starters. Bishop McGuiness also returns one of their best players. Can they keep that momentum going from last season?

Welcome to the board, 24!  Always great to have another b'ball fan to talk with.  Who's your team?

I'll give a detailed reply in a couple of days.  If you want to get a sneak preview of some teams, Phenom Hoop Report is having their High School Jamboree this Saturday over at Proehlific.  Tons of teams usually show up for this thing. 

Funny you mentioned Jordan......I would LOVE to be in the gym the very first time Sheed yells out "Ball Don't Lie!!"

8 hours ago, Chute Boxe Hero said:

Welcome to the board, 24!  Always great to have another b'ball fan to talk with.  Who's your team?

I'll give a detailed reply in a couple of days.  If you want to get a sneak preview of some teams, Phenom Hoop Report is having their High School Jamboree this Saturday over at Proehlific.  Tons of teams usually show up for this thing. 

Funny you mentioned Jordan......I would LOVE to be in the gym the very first time Sheed yells out "Ball Don't Lie!!"

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm just a hoops fan of all levels. I'm partial to High School and the College game. I really don't have a team.

2 teams that impressed me was SW Guilford and RJ Reynolds last year. SW Guilford with the way their style of play. It almost reminded me of the old Nolan Richardson Arkansas teams just 32 minutes of all out organized mayhem. And RJ Reynolds is just old school basketball and I love it. I was a bit skeptical of how successful they would be in 4A because of their lack of size, but they just play the right way and know how to win.

Teams I'll be keeping my eye on this year is NW Guilford, W-S Prep, RJ Reynolds, West Stokes, Bishop McGuiness, Vance, North Meck, Ardrey Kell, West Charlotte, Myers Park, Millbrook, Durham Jordan, Athens Drive. 

I will admit that I'm not very familiar with 2A right now. But I will do my research. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 2:47 PM, NCHoopsFan24 said:

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm just a hoops fan of all levels. I'm partial to High School and the College game. I really don't have a team.

2 teams that impressed me was SW Guilford and RJ Reynolds last year. SW Guilford with the way their style of play. It almost reminded me of the old Nolan Richardson Arkansas teams just 32 minutes of all out organized mayhem. And RJ Reynolds is just old school basketball and I love it. I was a bit skeptical of how successful they would be in 4A because of their lack of size, but they just play the right way and know how to win.

Teams I'll be keeping my eye on this year is NW Guilford, W-S Prep, RJ Reynolds, West Stokes, Bishop McGuiness, Vance, North Meck, Ardrey Kell, West Charlotte, Myers Park, Millbrook, Durham Jordan, Athens Drive. 

I will admit that I'm not very familiar with 2A right now. But I will do my research. 

I'm a Providence Grove/Eastern Randolph fan.  However, I like to watch as many teams as possible.  Like yourself, I just love basketball in general.

I fully agree with you on SW and RJR.  SW has been so darn fun to watch over the last few years.  They played at a breakneck speed yet remained totally under control.  The Langley brothers are just phenomenal.  Kam's having a nice career at A&T.  However, no more Langleys are walking through the door.  I saw SW over the summer.  They're going to look a bit different.  Very interesting mix of players.

I love RJR's style.  Primarily because I love teams that rebound and defend.  RJR hits the boards as if their life's on the line.  Also enjoy the fact that they don't think of "mid-range" as a dirty word.  I hope they have a good year.  It'll be a little tougher without Goodloe though. 

Coach Martin was actually one of my camp counselors back in the day.  He and his brother coached the Montgomery County high school teams (can't remember which coached which). 

2A around here is going to be real interesting.  Three of the better teams (North Davidson, Wheatmore, Walkertown) each lost a player that was a HUGE part of their success.  I still think the best teams around the Triad will be Lexington, Reidsville,  Atkins, and Randleman. 

On 10/29/2019 at 9:44 AM, NCHoopsFan24 said:

Wow. RJR's ducking no one.  All of those will be great games. 

4A-This is going to be a fun one.  I don't know if there is a clear-cut favorite here.  Maybe this'll be the year North Meck finally breaks through.  I've thought over the past few years that they were the best public school team in NC.  Their early exits have been a little disappointing.

Great call on Indy.  I can't believe I forgot about them.  I've loved watching them the last couple of years.  They really get after it on the defensive end. 

One team to look out for is Apex Friendship.  They have a talented veteran squad led by a beast of a forward named Nick Farrar. 

With regards to the Triad, NW Guilford will be the feature attraction.  However, I do think Grimsley, Glenn, and Page could be sleeper teams.  Each of these teams are led by very talented players.  I'm also curious about Davie County.  Can they build on the success they had last year?

3A-Biggest question I have is will Cox Mill be a factor?  Or do they simply vanish?  I think Ben L. Smith has a great chance to make a deep, deep run.  Silas Mason's a tough, tough matchup for a lot of teams.  I totally forgot about Parkland and Shell.  They should have a pretty good year also. 

Statewide, I'm keeping an eye on Freedom, Hickory, and Kings Mountain.  Also Southern Durham (if Council's still there).  SD plays Smith early on.  That's going to be fun.  Also keeping an eye on Williams.  They lost Nasir Johnson but return the very exciting Kennedy Miles.  If they have anything to put around him, watch out. 

2A-I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see Farmville Central and Mountain Heritage as the last two teams standing.  Both are loaded.

I do have a few questions.  First, how will Forest Hills look?  Rorie and Tyson will be extremely tough to replace.  Also, could Mount Pleasant make a run? They did lose one of their best players to transfer but are still strong.  Not sure who emerges out of the East to challenge Farmville.  Kinston? Clinton? North Pitt? Can Greene Central challenge without Dodd? 

1A-Henderson Collegiate is my favorite here.  They're friggin' loaded.  Javonte Waverly might be the best player in that whole classification. 

However, I do feel that Bishop, Winston Salem Prep, Voyager Academy, and possibly Lincoln Charter could have something to say about that. Voyager has a mobile 7 footer named Jonas Aidoo who's going to be a nightmare matchup for most anyone.  I'm also keeping an eye on North Rowan and Pender.  Pender has a really good point guard named Jajuan Carr.

I can't wait to see the Bishop-Prep games.  Neither team lost very much. 

One last thing........Jordan is actually 4A. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 1:33 AM, Chute Boxe Hero said:

Wow. RJR's ducking no one.  All of those will be great games. 

4A-This is going to be a fun one.  I don't know if there is a clear-cut favorite here.  Maybe this'll be the year North Meck finally breaks through.  I've thought over the past few years that they were the best public school team in NC.  Their early exits have been a little disappointing.

Great call on Indy.  I can't believe I forgot about them.  I've loved watching them the last couple of years.  They really get after it on the defensive end. 

One team to look out for is Apex Friendship.  They have a talented veteran squad led by a beast of a forward named Nick Farrar. 

With regards to the Triad, NW Guilford will be the feature attraction.  However, I do think Grimsley, Glenn, and Page could be sleeper teams.  Each of these teams are led by very talented players.  I'm also curious about Davie County.  Can they build on the success they had last year?

3A-Biggest question I have is will Cox Mill be a factor?  Or do they simply vanish?  I think Ben L. Smith has a great chance to make a deep, deep run.  Silas Mason's a tough, tough matchup for a lot of teams.  I totally forgot about Parkland and Shell.  They should have a pretty good year also. 

Statewide, I'm keeping an eye on Freedom, Hickory, and Kings Mountain.  Also Southern Durham (if Council's still there).  SD plays Smith early on.  That's going to be fun.  Also keeping an eye on Williams.  They lost Nasir Johnson but return the very exciting Kennedy Miles.  If they have anything to put around him, watch out. 

2A-I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see Farmville Central and Mountain Heritage as the last two teams standing.  Both are loaded.

I do have a few questions.  First, how will Forest Hills look?  Rorie and Tyson will be extremely tough to replace.  Also, could Mount Pleasant make a run? They did lose one of their best players to transfer but are still strong.  Not sure who emerges out of the East to challenge Farmville.  Kinston? Clinton? North Pitt? Can Greene Central challenge without Dodd? 

1A-Henderson Collegiate is my favorite here.  They're friggin' loaded.  Javonte Waverly might be the best player in that whole classification. 

However, I do feel that Bishop, Winston Salem Prep, Voyager Academy, and possibly Lincoln Charter could have something to say about that. Voyager has a mobile 7 footer named Jonas Aidoo who's going to be a nightmare matchup for most anyone.  I'm also keeping an eye on North Rowan and Pender.  Pender has a really good point guard named Jajuan Carr.

I can't wait to see the Bishop-Prep games.  Neither team lost very much. 

One last thing........Jordan is actually 4A. 

4a think will belong to the Charlotte team Vance young elite talent,  North Meck has talented vets few D1 kids, Indy brings back some talent and Northwest Guilford has Chris Hampton and Dean Reiber. Grimsley is bringing back 4 of their starting 5. I did mention up top Charlotte teams but Millbrook out of Raleigh should be the favorite starting 5 has no one shorter than 6’5 led by Nolan Dorsey D1 commit two jr with D1 offers and others think D1 D2 interests they loaded.

3a I’m going with Smith until proven wrong the smallest kid in lineup 5’10 then they 6’4 plus the rest of the way. Murray State commit is freaking load built like D1 defensive end. They also have a talented freshman and kid who moved in from Ohio I think. They should run through conference think Mt Tabor gives them trouble speaking of Mt Tabor they have a new player Rex Walters Former Kansas legend Wake Forest assistant son who is a talented sophomore.

Eastern Guilford has a few pieces not state champion good but one of the better teams in triad return 3 starters Kadyn Dawkins, Omarion Johnson and Kamel Smith. They also add a talented transfer in who should help out on perimeter.

Burlington Williams Kennedy Miles tore ACL during football 1st game I think so I doubt he plays this year at least if I’m his parents I sit him out since he already signed to Western Carolina.

Al Brown is talented team they just lose a talented guard Amarie Haynie to Moravian Prep so that’s a blow for them.

Whatever school Ricky Council goes to has a chance that young man can HOOP they will have a new coach with David Noel now coaching professionally.

2A- Reidsville should be a tough out adding Aulden Edwards from Burlington Cummings and of course the best player Breon Pass is back. Only question mark is Head Coach with Breon dad passing couple months ago not sure who took over.

Randelman is pretty talented too.

1a- Henderson Collegiate and I think they run away with it.

Basketball season is here fun times.

• Like 1

Yeah, McMullen looks like he could start for a D-1 right now.  I actually watched him play football at Eastern Guilford a couple of years ago.  I thought he had massive potential as a receiver/tight end.  Looks like concentrating on basketball paid off for him though. 

I believe the freshman you're referring to is Kobe George.  I've heard really good things about him.

I did wonder about Mount Tabor when thinking of teams to list.  I know they return forward Jakob Moore but not sure what else.  That's cool about Rex Walters's son.  I remember watching Rex play.  He was a pest on defense. 

You got me curious as to whom Eastern Guilford added.

I hate to hear that about Kennedy Miles.  He is very fun to watch.  He plays with a very healthy dose of confidence. 

Man, Moravian Prep is more loaded than a baked potato from O'Charley's.  I'm hoping they play either Greensboro Day, Cannon, or The Burlington School. 

I've got to see Hendo Collegiate at least once.  I see where they lost by 19 to Piedmont Classical a couple of days ago.  I'm kicking myself for forgetting all about that one.  PC's very talented themselves.  No shame in that loss.

I hope Bishop or Winston Salem Prep can give Hendo a game.  I'm ready to see it all go down. 

On 11/3/2019 at 1:01 AM, Chute Boxe Hero said:

I'm a Providence Grove/Eastern Randolph fan.  However, I like to watch as many teams as possible.  Like yourself, I just love basketball in general.

I fully agree with you on SW and RJR.  SW has been so darn fun to watch over the last few years.  They played at a breakneck speed yet remained totally under control.  The Langley brothers are just phenomenal.  Kam's having a nice career at A&T.  However, no more Langleys are walking through the door.  I saw SW over the summer.  They're going to look a bit different.  Very interesting mix of players.

I love RJR's style.  Primarily because I love teams that rebound and defend.  RJR hits the boards as if their life's on the line.  Also enjoy the fact that they don't think of "mid-range" as a dirty word.  I hope they have a good year.  It'll be a little tougher without Goodloe though. 

Coach Martin was actually one of my camp counselors back in the day.  He and his brother coached the Montgomery County high school teams (can't remember which coached which). 

2A around here is going to be real interesting.  Three of the better teams (North Davidson, Wheatmore, Walkertown) each lost a player that was a HUGE part of their success.  I still think the best teams around the Triad will be Lexington, Reidsville,  Atkins, and Randleman. 

Chute - I like all your picks, For 2A, I like Reidsville and Lexington. I want to hold out on Atkins. They lost their best player from last year to transfer to Winston Salem Christian(I've never heard of the school). I might be traveling to Atkins Saturday actually for their Jamboree. I've heard Statesville, Ragsdale, and Atkins will be there. I'm sure there will be other teams.

The Langley's were fun to watch. I actually watched them play RJR last year at the beginning of last season(I'm in the Kernersville area) at an event at RJR's gym. I thought the SWG was probably the fastest team I've seen in a long time. Maybe since Ty Lawson was at Oak Hill. 

That's pretty interesting about Coach Martin. Then he's been around for a while?

I found this Interesting from the Highschoolot.com website. Public and Private regardless of class?

.Boys Basketball West Top 25

1. Greensboro Day (6) (174)
2. North Mecklenburg (1) (169)
3. Cannon School (156)
4. Northwest Guilford (148)
5. Olympic (145)
6. Ben L. Smith (140)
7. Concord First Assembly (129)
8. R.J. Reynolds (128)
9. A.L. Brown (110)
10. Butler (107)
11. Vance (99)
12. High Point Christian (95)
13. Carmel Christian (90)
14. Winston-Salem Prep (89)
15. Independence (74)
16. Ardrey Kell (68)
17. Hickory Ridge (52)
18. Myers Park (51)
19. Davidson Day (39)
20. Dudley (38)
21. Bishop McGuinness (30)
22. West Charlotte (20)
23. Charlotte Catholic (19)
24. Parkland (18)
25. Freedom (17)

• Like 1

Well.....I got the ball rollin' last night.  I went over to Wesleyan Academy to watch them take on Henderson Collegiate.  It was a very well-flowing game.

I have to say I was a bit surprised by the result.  Wesleyan broke open a close game in the third quarter and wound up winning by 20 (81-61).  The reason the Trojans won was simple.........they flat shot the daylights out of the basketball.  They could not miss from beyond the arc.  Kade Darr, Kaleb Brooks, and Josh Chrapliwy did the most damage. 

They also matched up well with Hendo.  I was surprised with how well they were able to take Hendo off the dribble.  I thought Josh Chrapliwy played very well.  I'd never heard of him before last night. 

As for Hendo, the end will justify the means.  They've played a brutal schedule thus far (Piedmont Classical, Moravian Prep, and now Wesleyan).  In the next couple of weeks, they'll play Greenfield twice, Ravenscroft, and Combine Academy (who just laid a beatdown on The Burlington School). 

I mentioned in a previous post that Javonte Waverly could be the best player in the 1A classification.  He could still be.....he had a nice game tonight.  However, the most dangerous player on that team is Kalib Matthews.  His athleticism and ability to take people off the dribble was impressive. 

Henderson has played a brutal schedule still didn’t see them losing this game but if I’m a 1A school I’m worried because they will be battle tested. Waverly is a D1 kid and Queens got a steal with Matthews kid is talented. Also Combine beat Oak Hill last weekend next Friday night at GDS Combine vs Moravian Prep will be the game to be at for sure. Also GDS loss last night by 19 didn’t see that coming.

21 hours ago, NCHoopsFan24 said:

Chute - I like all your picks, For 2A, I like Reidsville and Lexington. I want to hold out on Atkins. They lost their best player from last year to transfer to Winston Salem Christian(I've never heard of the school). I might be traveling to Atkins Saturday actually for their Jamboree. I've heard Statesville, Ragsdale, and Atkins will be there. I'm sure there will be other teams.

The Langley's were fun to watch. I actually watched them play RJR last year at the beginning of last season(I'm in the Kernersville area) at an event at RJR's gym. I thought the SWG was probably the fastest team I've seen in a long time. Maybe since Ty Lawson was at Oak Hill. 

That's pretty interesting about Coach Martin. Then he's been around for a while?

I found this Interesting from the Highschoolot.com website. Public and Private regardless of class?

.Boys Basketball West Top 25

1. Greensboro Day (6) (174)
2. North Mecklenburg (1) (169)
3. Cannon School (156)
4. Northwest Guilford (148)
5. Olympic (145)
6. Ben L. Smith (140)
7. Concord First Assembly (129)
8. R.J. Reynolds (128)
9. A.L. Brown (110)
10. Butler (107)
11. Vance (99)
12. High Point Christian (95)
13. Carmel Christian (90)
14. Winston-Salem Prep (89)
15. Independence (74)
16. Ardrey Kell (68)
17. Hickory Ridge (52)
18. Myers Park (51)
19. Davidson Day (39)
20. Dudley (38)
21. Bishop McGuinness (30)
22. West Charlotte (20)
23. Charlotte Catholic (19)
24. Parkland (18)
25. Freedom (17)

Wow.......I don't know about this. 

Regardless of class, huh?  Moravian Prep? Combine Academy? The Burlington School? Liberty Heights? Word of God? Quality Education Academy?  Shoot.....after last night, I think Wesleyan could beat High Point Christian. 

As for publics.....I think they got a lot of the good teams in there.  I saw North Meck and Ardrey Kell last Saturday at the Jambo.  I was real impressed with them. 

However......Farmville Central? Apex Friendship? Millbrook? Southern Durham?  Speaking of Southern.......I can confirm that Ricky Council is playing for them.  They also have a couple of other guys that are very athletic. 

6 minutes ago, CarolinaNiner said:

Henderson has played a brutal schedule still didn’t see them losing this game but if I’m a 1A school I’m worried because they will be battle tested. Waverly is a D1 kid and Queens got a steal with Matthews kid is talented. Also Combine beat Oak Hill last weekend next Friday night at GDS Combine vs Moravian Prep will be the game to be at for sure. Also GDS loss last night by 19 didn’t see that coming.

I didn't either!  I know Durham Academy has MJ Rice but apparently they have much more than him.  Very impressive win for them. 

I did not know that Matthews was heading to Queens.  I love that.  Queens has done an awesome job recruiting this state over the last couple of years.  To get both Jayden Turner and Gavin Rains is outstanding. 

I'll freely admit.....Wesleyan caught me off-guard.  They're a bit better than I thought.  It didn't hurt that they shot the cover off the ball.  But....I also still expect Hendo to be treading deep water come early March.

4 minutes ago, CarolinaNiner said:

North Meck is really good, same for Millbrook and I will see Apex this weekend but I hear they are good.

It was really fun watching Tristan Maxwell.  His game is so polished. 

O yeah Tristan put on a shooting clinic one game hit 8 3’s with 4 of them in a row. If everything goes as I think them and Millbrook will be in for a battle for states. Millbrook is huge and have just as much length coming off the bench. Millbrook plays against Smith also like to see how that plays out.

Concord Cannon got their 1st win of 1st game of the season over Carmel Christian 72-69. Interesting that Concord Cannon roster only shows 3 seniors. They are young but they have sophomore 7’ Christian Reeves. It will be interesting to see what this team does in the next couple years. 

i looked at the High School OT top 25 polls, east and west, boys and girls.  I appreciate the work that Nick Stevens and company put into that and I don't want to denigrate what they have done, but there were some big omissions.  Just for instance Mountain Heritage girls were not in the girls west top 25.  They got back almost their entire state championship squad, so leaving them off is a pretty big miss.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FHS1985 returns said:

i looked at the High School OT top 25 polls, east and west, boys and girls.  I appreciate the work that Nick Stevens and company put into that and I don't want to denigrate what they have done, but there were some big omissions.  Just for instance Mountain Heritage girls were not in the girls west top 25.  They got back almost their entire state championship squad, so leaving them off is a pretty big miss.

Amen

5 hours ago, Chute Boxe Hero said:

Wow.......I don't know about this. 

Regardless of class, huh?  Moravian Prep? Combine Academy? The Burlington School? Liberty Heights? Word of God? Quality Education Academy?  Shoot.....after last night, I think Wesleyan could beat High Point Christian. 

As for publics.....I think they got a lot of the good teams in there.  I saw North Meck and Ardrey Kell last Saturday at the Jambo.  I was real impressed with them. 

However......Farmville Central? Apex Friendship? Millbrook? Southern Durham?  Speaking of Southern.......I can confirm that Ricky Council is playing for them.  They also have a couple of other guys that are very athletic. 

I don't think they even looked at Moravian Prep. But with that program, which team do you include? The High School Team? The National High School Team? Or one of the prep school teams. I sometimes think they hold out on schools that have 5th year guys on their roster. Just my 2 cents. 

I saw North Meck, Cox Mill, and Mount Tabor on Monday. North Meck will be good again. I heard they've lost 4 kids to transfer though. 1 starter now plays at Independence. The shocker to me was Cox Mill. Please do not think that they will be a cake walk this year. They play extremely hard. Mount Tabor looked ok Jakob Moore is a load on the paint. He's active and athletic. They had 2 kids not playing; Davis Blackwell and Gunner Walters. I'm sure they'll look a lot different once the season gets into gear. 

I'm sorry. I meant to add the East as well. It was a top 25 per region. The East goes as follows:

Boys Basketball East Top 25

1. Farmville Central (7) (175)
2. Millbrook (164)
3. Greenfield School (159)
4. Apex Friendship (153)
5. Durham Academy (141)
6. Leesville Road (140)
7. Holly Springs (128)
8. Henderson Collegiate (121)
9. Garner (102)
10. Kinston (98)
11. Panther Creek (94)
12. Heritage (85)
13. Clayton (82)
14. Village Christian (77)
15. Southern Durham (68)
16. Hoggard (64)
17. Rolesville (60)
18. Wayne Country Day (51)
T19. Trinity Christian (46)
T19. Voyager Academy (46)
21. Northwood (37)
22. Terry Sanford (30)
23. Vance County (29)
24. South Granville (26)
25. Northern Nash (21)

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2019 at 12:13 PM, FHS1985 returns said:

I feel good about the Lady Patriots this year, we lost two starters-both are playing collegiately-but we get back six who played substantial minutes including our leading scorer.  We got three transfers who will make big contributions and I think we can run most teams into exhaustion with our depth.  Three players have already inked scholarships and I think a couple more could sign by year’s end.

The Patriots could also be very good, but there is some uncertainty here.  We have a new head coach, and this is his first head coaching job, but he is a known quality at FHS and I think the players have confidence in him.  We lost three starters who were our three top scorers, but we were deep and return probably nine kids who can play.  Overcoming the injury bug will be key for this team as we were without two of our top kids last year due to injury.  Our boys also will probably push the tempo, which is fun to watch.

This is becoming something I have to wonder if the NCHSAA begins looking into. How many players from surrounding schools have transferred into the program in the last 5-7 years? Just this year alone the best girls player from East Burke and Patton just happens to show up for school one day at Freedom?  I might have missed it but did the school change their name to Freedom Prep Academy?

On 11/13/2019 at 12:47 PM, NCHoopsFan24 said:

I don't think they even looked at Moravian Prep. But with that program, which team do you include? The High School Team? The National High School Team? Or one of the prep school teams. I sometimes think they hold out on schools that have 5th year guys on their roster. Just my 2 cents. 

I saw North Meck, Cox Mill, and Mount Tabor on Monday. North Meck will be good again. I heard they've lost 4 kids to transfer though. 1 starter now plays at Independence. The shocker to me was Cox Mill. Please do not think that they will be a cake walk this year. They play extremely hard. Mount Tabor looked ok Jakob Moore is a load on the paint. He's active and athletic. They had 2 kids not playing; Davis Blackwell and Gunner Walters. I'm sure they'll look a lot different once the season gets into gear. 

I'm sorry. I meant to add the East as well. It was a top 25 per region. The East goes as follows:

Boys Basketball East Top 25

1. Farmville Central (7) (175)
2. Millbrook (164)
3. Greenfield School (159)
4. Apex Friendship (153)
5. Durham Academy (141)
6. Leesville Road (140)
7. Holly Springs (128)
8. Henderson Collegiate (121)
9. Garner (102)
10. Kinston (98)
11. Panther Creek (94)
12. Heritage (85)
13. Clayton (82)
14. Village Christian (77)
15. Southern Durham (68)
16. Hoggard (64)
17. Rolesville (60)
18. Wayne Country Day (51)
T19. Trinity Christian (46)
T19. Voyager Academy (46)
21. Northwood (37)
22. Terry Sanford (30)
23. Vance County (29)
24. South Granville (26)
25. Northern Nash (21)

Oh, okay.........that definitely makes more sense.  I was starting to wonder why in the world HSOT had a Western bias.........

As for Moravian Prep, I was thinking about the team that Shakeel Moore is on.  The one that just played Henderson.  I can definitely see why they wouldn't list teams with five year players.  But, then again, there's a lot of private schools who have guys that re-classed. 

Oh....I also just noticed there's no listing of Mountain Heritage in the West.  That's a glaring omission. 

On 11/13/2019 at 9:18 AM, Vik-Val 86 said:

Concord Cannon got their 1st win of 1st game of the season over Carmel Christian 72-69. Interesting that Concord Cannon roster only shows 3 seniors. They are young but they have sophomore 7’ Christian Reeves. It will be interesting to see what this team does in the next couple years. 

I've got to try to see Cannon at least once.  I love watching Jaden Bradley play. 

• Like 1

The 3A Montgomery Central Timberwolves, in their first season under Coach Randy Jordan, are not ducking anyone for sure. Taking on Concord, Southwest Guilford, RJ Reynolds, Pinecrest and more, (including a touring team here from Australia).  Tough start for a new team, so we shall see.

• Like 1

Page is 4-0 to start the year and is led by guard Jaden Ellis. The 6 foot junior dropped 34 points / 5 assists / 2 steals / 1 TO the other day at Greensboro Day School in the Phenom Hoops Challenge/Gate City Classic.

9 hours ago, WHPco06 said:

Page is 4-0 to start the year and is led by guard Jaden Ellis. The 6 foot junior dropped 34 points / 5 assists / 2 steals / 1 TO the other day at Greensboro Day School in the Phenom Hoops Challenge/Gate City Classic.

I just watched the highlights against First Flight.  The numbers definitely don't lie.  He looked unguardable out there. 

Eastern Guilford beat Northeast Guilford if not by 30 close to 30 Kadyn Dawkins had 20 1st half points finishing with 27 points 5 assists 2 rebounds and 3 steals. New transfer Jayron Rankin is a menace on defense Kamel Smith working his way into basketball shape and Omarion Johnson was in foul trouble. As a team they played strong defense and everyone got after it on that end. Was pretty impressive for their 1st game. They got two tough back to back games this Northwest Guilford Wednesday and Smith Thursday then open conference play against Burlington Williams.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 5:31 PM, CarolinaNiner said:

Eastern Guilford beat Northeast Guilford if not by 30 close to 30 Kadyn Dawkins had 20 1st half points finishing with 27 points 5 assists 2 rebounds and 3 steals. New transfer Jayron Rankin is a menace on defense Kamel Smith working his way into basketball shape and Omarion Johnson was in foul trouble. As a team they played strong defense and everyone got after it on that end. Was pretty impressive for their 1st game. They got two tough back to back games this Northwest Guilford Wednesday and Smith Thursday then open conference play against Burlington Williams.

Where'd Rankin transfer from?  He's not from Reidsville, is he?

A 3A team no one has mentioned is Westover (Fayetteville). I watched them in a Jamboree earlier this year.

They are 3-0 as of today!

They destroyed 4A South View last night 88-36