Catholic

2021 5 classification realignment

Rate this topic

A natural drop of 100 would include some athletes but and EC drop of 100 doesnt include any athletes except maybe in a very rare situation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, raider1 said:

Mr C , if its fair maybe yall should make the jump to 4aa...

We won the 4A state title with 3A numbers. Not 3AA, 3A numbers. Been there, done that. 

I stand corrected on my numbers...Instead of 1400 difference , its closer to 1600...Unreal...Difference between Richmond enrollment and MPark enrollment....No way that is fair......On a 50/50  male /female breakdown thats 800 more possibilities  ............. something wrong somewhere......   

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, raider1 said:

I stand corrected on my numbers...Instead of 1400 difference , its closer to 1600...Unreal...Difference between Richmond enrollment and MPark enrollment....No way that is fair......On a 50/50  male /female breakdown thats 800 more possibilities  ............. something wrong somewhere......   

That isn't a fair comparison to 1a, you still have a sizeable student body to choose from, try picking your team from 180 males.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, raider1 said:

Maybe yall need to go to 8 man football then....

Were still doing ok for a traditional 1a school google Robbinsville Black Knights sometime.  

• Like 4

btango. Glenn, with the 32 teams qualifying there would not have been a bye.  With 32 teams making the playoffs that is 42% of the teams qualifying.  I would think nearly half the schools making the playoffs would be sufficient.  

My point is there were no byes before this 2o-30-30-20 split came about.

• Like 1

btango, if you agree that the schools like Charlotte Catholic do nothing wrong then why do you agree that they should be required to move up a class?

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

btango, if you agree that the schools like Charlotte Catholic do nothing wrong then why do you agree that they should be required to move up a class?

I do not think charters, urban magnets, open enrollment LEAs with 1A and 2A schools, or traditional schools that legally load up with non district athletes are doing anything “wrong” but I still think there needs to be some restructuring with them.

Note, I write on the Catholic schools if they could implement a Catholics only protocol then I would think that would be sufficient.  Charlotte Catholic has very few non Cathokic students. Bishop built a girls basketball machine with non Catholic school players.  I think Gibbons has more than twice as high a percentage of non Catholic students as CC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Knights said:

Paul I really don't understand what your saying. I'm not saying anyone is cheating.

I'm saying dropping 100 non athletes is an advantage. Overlapping districts is an advantage. Are you saying it's not?

I'm not saying anyone is cheating, and I agree with you about the advantage of losing numbers from your ADM. I just do not think it's happening that way. If those kids are not going to play sports anyway then there is no advantage gained. If they were playing sports and had to quit then it hurts the program. 

If a coach or school i doing this purposefully then they are playing with fire.

Under the state charter covering Community Colleges each county must be covered by a community college. So either SCC or Tri-County must offer services to Graham County. Those services do not have to be traditional, classroom based, but they have to be offered. Also, Robbinsville plays a part in the EC program as well. If they have students that want to do it, they have to agree and work with the community college in question to make it happen. 

As for overlapping districts, that is more of an advantage than EC. Charters and Magnets are also more of a problem than EC. 

12 hours ago, raider1 said:

Hey...Im on your side.....

He is on our side.....We finally have a voice of reason in 4A (you know the schools the NCHSAA actually pays attention to) so please lets not run him off. Besides, proportionately its the same thing. Richomond is at the same disadvantage as Robbinsville, the only difference is numbers.

Richmond’s opponent Friday is Vance.  In 2027 Vance had just over 1,900 students.  CMS added a magnet program to the school adding three hundred students.  They would be small 4A without that program.  

Surprised, no I am not, to see a Richmond supporter complain about the unfairness of the ADMs.  If it is unfair how would it be split up further?  

There are three extremely large schools in Meck County and they will remain that way until the new school is completed in that area.  Myers Park has a huge magnet program which increases their numbers and I feel confident those are not footballers.  MP is a very diverse school (socioeconomically and culturally) with some great academic departments.  A lot of elite teachers with masters degrees.  Those students count.  I do not like the super sized schools.  Prefer it to be around 2,000.  Think that allows for a lot of offerings in athletics, academics, the arts, and extracurriculars.  

There are 17 schools with between two and right at 200 more students than Richmond.  There are 19 schools ranging from nine to nearly 200 students less than Richmond.  Richmond was the 21st largest school to qualify for the playoffs.  If four more schools larger than RC qualified the Raiders would have been small 4A.  Richmond is the 35th largest school in the state.  There are 79 school in 4A.  They are right in the middle.

Take a look at this breakdown and tell us how to split it up.  As 1A administrator suggested at a meeting five or more years ago, 1A should go to three subclasses as it was not fair to the smallest schools to compete against the much larger ones.  Then a few 4A administrators joined in for their classification.  This is where the offset classification sizes (20, 30,30, 30, 20) come from.  Imagine ten state champions.  Where do you draw the line?!?  

Quick breakdown.

3 schools 3,000 plus

2 schools over 2,700

2 schools over 2,600

4 schools over 2,500

9 schools over 2,300

7 schools over 2,200

7 schools over 2,100

3 schools over 2,000

8 schools over 1,900

7 schools over 1,800

6 schools over 1,700

8 schools over 1,600

8 schools over 1,500

3 schools under 1,500

• Like 1

At association meetings I have heard school administrators cite schools that have magnet programs with students from outside the district and those numbers push them over the classification or subclass line.  They do not want to count those students if a certain percentage does not play sports.  One administrator brought up ESL students.  Said 40% of his school was Hispanic and that he could only think of a "handful" that played sports.  Did not think it was fair to count them all.  This brought the same responses from a few others with one 1A adminstrator stating his school was right at 40% Hispanic / Asian.  

There is no simple solution.  Nothing is always totally even playing field.  Just the way it is.  I want it to be as fair as possible for all schools.  I also want the competition level to remain high and to keep things logistically sensible.