Sign in to follow this  
Vik-Val 86

High stadium elevation

Rate this topic

As I was reading some of these topics like Mitchell Co football I was curious what the highest stadium elevation there is in N.C. I was interested what the elevation for Mitchell Co. is.  I’ve been by the high school but never been to any games. I sure Paul Graham and others that live in the mountains have an answer to this. My guess Mitchell would be but I’m not 100% sure. Some day I want to see some of the teams up in that area. 

• Like 2

Avery has the highest elevation out of all the schools discussed so far.  Newland has the highest elevation of any county seat east of the Mississippi at 3600 feet.

Edited by uncgrad1998
Correction
  • Like 2

I wonder what elevation Ashe County is? 

Robbinsville is 2044'

Swain is 1752, but the stadium is about 1800'

Brevard is 2231'

North Buncombe is 2178'

Rosman is 2205'

Watauga is 3300'

This an interesting topic, thanks Vik-Val.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

As I was reading some of these topics like Mitchell Co football I was curious what the highest stadium elevation there is in N.C. I was interested what the elevation for Mitchell Co. is.  I’ve been by the high school but never been to any games. I sure Paul Graham and others that live in the mountains have an answer to this. My guess Mitchell would be but I’m not 100% sure. Some day I want to see some of the teams up in that area. 

Come up next weekend. Mitchell @ Mountain Heritage. The hate is already generating.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

Isn't Robbinsville the Highest Point in NC? ik they are the further school west to east bc someone said that in a forum a while back (*if i remember correctly*)

Murphy is the western most football playing school in NC, Hiawasse Dam is further west but doesn't play football. Robbinsville has the tallest hydo-electric dam on the east coast. the highest point in NC is Mount Mitchell at 6,684.

Wow....we have delved into geography, who'd have thunk?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

For some unknown reason elevation has always been one of my favorite things to study. The highest elevated football stadium by a lot is Avery High School at around 3800 feet, I have also always been told it is the highest elevated football stadium in the eastern United States, if you've ever seen a good kicker kick at Avery you will know it too as you will see some balls on kickoffs go through the uprights due to the air being lighter, much like the Colorado effect in baseball. There are only 4 other football stadiums that set in the 3000 foot range, Watauga is second at around 3300 feet, then you have Ashe, Allegheny, and Mitchell whose stadiums all set at almost exactly 3000 feet. What would surprise people the most is that the stadiums in the Smoky Mountains are much lower than in the High Country of Northwest North Carolina, the mountain tops in that area are just as high but the valley floors are much lower. Robbinsville's stadium is at 2000 feet, Swain at 1800 feet, and Murphy at 1500 feet, surprisingly McDowell which is considered the foothills is nearly as high as Murphy at around 1400 feet and most of the Asheville schools which are not in nearly as mountainous of an area as the smokies are higher than all of the above mentioned schools at around 2100 to 2200 feet. To my knowledge the highest elevated stadium to the south and west of Asheville is Tuscola at around 2700 to 2800 feet and would most likely put it at 6th behind the 5 I first mentioned, Heritage is most likely 7th at around 2600 feet even though the surrounding area is higher, thus why it's called the pit. Sorry for boring everyone with a topography lesson.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

Nothing like watching football in cold blustery conditions with blowing snow. Have to wander how much conditions like this affects a football game. 

Well, if its 2 mountain teams, they relish it. If its deep in tje playoffs, and some flatlanders come up... well you see alot of blankets on the sidelines. 

Just some frigid games I remember, 2005 or so Avery @ Mitchell. Hovered around 25 or so, then during halftime it started freezing rain. Dropped about 1/4" of ice on the stadium, and not a soul left. Refs were about to die.

2010 Mitchell @ Avery. Snowed a few inches during the game. It's remembered as the snow bowl.

2010 Mitchell @ Avery. 3rd round of the playoffs, 3 degrees and howling wind. 25mph+

2014 Mitchell @ Madison, Halloween night. Temp was around 28, kept alternating between rain and snow all night. 

2014 Mitchell @ Avery. 15 degrees and damp. In The 3rd quarter a heavy fog rolled in and iced everything over. It was so thick you couldn't see the other side of the field.

2014 Granville Central @ Mitchell 1st round of the playoffs. 15 or so and 30+ mph winds. Mitchell players were in short sleeves, chugging cold water, Granville Central went to the concessions stand and got the team hot chocolate at halftime.

2015 North Moore @ Mitchell, 1st round of the playoffs. 20 or so and damp, breezy.

Mountain teams have a distinct home field advantage late in the playoffs lol.

• Like 3

Love this thread. I got an education today. Boy I had some false ideas on elevations of schools. I thought Mt. Heritage was the highest. I’ve been to Robbinsville. I thought it was 400 or so more in elevation.

You learn something every day. My wife says I know it all. Only when she’s mad though.

• Like 2

Robbinsville is in a bowl surrounded by 3 mtn chains. The rest of the county is some of the most rugged and secluded land in NC. Alot of land here is Forest Service land and one main reason our population stays about the same. Only about 8,000 in the county.

• Like 2

This isnt related but alooong time ago a man built a hunting lodge on the Hooper Bald(5,500ft). It was huge. He was rich. He brought in Bison and Russian Razorback hogs plus much more. The same Hogs that are all over Wnc now. The Hogs dont play around. All the animals eventually got free and most are gone now but the Razorbacks are going strong. These were the first Razorbacks in the area or maybe the country. He also had a lodge in California with Razorbacks. Not sure if the made it or not. The lodge also had the first phone in Graham county. It took 50yrs to finally build a paved road called the Cherohala skyway. Which is the Indian words Cherokee and Nantahala combined. When I was a kid you had to ride dirt bikes or 4wheelers up Little Buffalo or Squally to get there. About 3hr ride 1 way. 

Oh lord. Im rambling again. Lol

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

Nothing like watching football in cold blustery conditions with blowing snow. Have to wander how much conditions like this affects a football game. 

Coldest game I can rememberer was 2011. Mitchell vs Swain at Mitchell in the 3rd round. It was so cold people brought little buddy heaters and still froze. I think the temp was around 5 degrees. It was also the best game I’ve seen, even though Mitchell led the entire game until about 2 minutes left before losing. Swain went on to an epic comeback against West Montgomery in the west finals and then win the state.

• Like 3

Love the topic...

Riddle me this?

Name the 4 highest elevation college stadiums... hint, the top 4 to the best of my knowledge are (in order) D-II, FBS, FCS & FBS... 

• Like 1

Just a small amount of elevation change can make a huge difference in weather. The rule of thumb is that the temperature will normally drop 3 to 5 degrees for every 1000 foot of elevation gain and as far as climate goes every 1000 feet of elevation is equal to going around 300 miles north. So for example say a team from the Winston area with an elevation around 800 feet and at around the same latitude as Avery would see about a 9 to 15 degree temperature drop going to Avery, the same type of weather change they would see from driving roughly 900 miles north at an equal elevation. With that being said maybe the coldest I've been at a Mitchell game was at Whiteville almost at the coast back 5 or 6 years ago, it was only maybe in the 30s but that ocean breeze and wet cold air was brutal, just a different kind of cold, felt like 15 degrees in the mountains, one of the only games I've ever went to the car and ran the heat at halftime at.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mitchaneers said:

Just a small amount of elevation change can make a huge difference in weather. The rule of thumb is that the temperature will normally drop 3 to 5 degrees for every 1000 foot of elevation gain and as far as climate goes every 1000 feet of elevation is equal to going around 300 miles north. So for example say a team from the Winston area with an elevation around 800 feet and at around the same latitude as Avery would see about a 9 to 15 degree temperature drop going to Avery, the same type of weather change they would see from driving roughly 900 miles north at an equal elevation. With that being said maybe the coldest I've been at a Mitchell game was at Whiteville almost at the coast back 5 or 6 years ago, it was only maybe in the 30s but that ocean breeze and wet cold air was brutal, just a different kind of cold, felt like 15 degrees in the mountains, one of the only games I've ever went to the car and ran the heat at halftime at.

Good information. Let say when playoff time comes and a team in the flatland has to travel up in the high country they will have to adjust to temperatures. I can imagine a game at Watauga, Avery or Mitchell would be brutal. Especially when your dealing with blustery winds and even snow falling as well. 

2 hours ago, ConnerP said:

Love the topic...

Riddle me this?

Name the 4 highest elevation college stadiums... hint, the top 4 to the best of my knowledge are (in order) D-II, FBS, FCS & FBS... 

Wished I had the answer to this but I just don’t know. Another good topic. 

3 hours ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

well Obviously in the NFL - Denver is the Highest elevation 

Correct. It wouldn’t make the college list I mentioned though. The Broncos home stadium is at 5280’ elevation. When the NFL played a game at Azteca in Mexico City back in 2017 it is around 7200’.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

Good information. Let say when playoff time comes and a team in the flatland has to travel up in the high country they will have to adjust to temperatures. I can imagine a game at Watauga, Avery or Mitchell would be brutal. Especially when your dealing with blustery winds and even snow falling as well. 

It's not just the temperature, the thinner air has a huge effect on some teams. When a kid from 6-800 ft in elevation come to 3000ft for the first time in his life, and has to play a game, it wears on them. I've seen the oxygen mask brought out more than a few times. Heck, Graville Centrals players were sucking oxygen every time they came to the sideline. Mitchell County EMS had to give them extra tanks.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, uncgrad1998 said:

Avery has the highest elevation out of all the schools discussed so far.  Newland has the highest elevation of any county seat east of the Mississippi at 3600 feet.

Here’s a little trivia: although Avery has the highest elevation stadium, they are not the highest elevation public high school. That title actually belongs to Highlands School which sits at over 4000’ feet elevation. They’re too small to field a football team but have fielded some good basketball and baseball teams which have beat the larger SMC schools.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

Im learning something all the time. 

Yep. Everybody knows the SMC but a lot of people outside the mountains don’t know there’s another 1A conference in the mountains called the Little Smoky Mountain Conference that competes with the SMC in other sports.

6EB88B9E-25EB-43CA-BA1F-11C0F25F3CDE.jpeg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Paul Graham said:

Murphy is the western most football playing school in NC, Hiawasse Dam is further west but doesn't play football. Robbinsville has the tallest hydo-electric dam on the east coast. the highest point in NC is Mount Mitchell at 6,684.

Wow....we have delved into geography, who'd have thunk?

Paul, I was happy to see this topic since I was a geography major at Carolina.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mitchell county mountie said:

It's not just the temperature, the thinner air has a huge effect on some teams. When a kid from 6-800 ft in elevation come to 3000ft for the first time in his life, and has to play a game, it wears on them. I've seen the oxygen mask brought out more than a few times. Heck, Graville Centrals players were sucking oxygen every time they came to the sideline. Mitchell County EMS had to give them extra tanks.

Mountie, I misread that the first time.  I thought you were saying 6,800 ft and was getting ready to question you.  Glad I read it a second time.  As someone who lived in CO for four years I can attest to the effects of high elevation .  I never really got used to it out there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ConnerP said:

Love the topic...

Riddle me this?

I would have to think the Air Force Academy has got to be one of the FBS teams.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Knights said:

This isnt related but alooong time ago a man built a hunting lodge on the Hooper Bald(5,500ft). It was huge. He was rich. He brought in Bison and Russian Razorback hogs plus much more. The same Hogs that are all over Wnc now. The Hogs dont play around. All the animals eventually got free and most are gone now but the Razorbacks are going strong. These were the first Razorbacks in the area or maybe the country. He also had a lodge in California with Razorbacks. Not sure if the made it or not. The lodge also had the first phone in Graham county. It took 50yrs to finally build a paved road called the Cherohala skyway. Which is the Indian words Cherokee and Nantahala combined. When I was a kid you had to ride dirt bikes or 4wheelers up Little Buffalo or Squally to get there. About 3hr ride 1 way. 

Oh lord. Im rambling again. Lol

Love coming back to Murphy with my motorcycle and going to  ride the Skyway.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mitchaneers said:

For some unknown reason elevation has always been one of my favorite things to study. The highest elevated football stadium by a lot is Avery High School at around 3800 feet, I have also always been told it is the highest elevated football stadium in the eastern United States, if you've ever seen a good kicker kick at Avery you will know it too as you will see some balls on kickoffs go through the uprights due to the air being lighter, much like the Colorado effect in baseball. There are only 4 other football stadiums that set in the 3000 foot range, Watauga is second at around 3300 feet, then you have Ashe, Allegheny, and Mitchell whose stadiums all set at almost exactly 3000 feet. What would surprise people the most is that the stadiums in the Smoky Mountains are much lower than in the High Country of Northwest North Carolina, the mountain tops in that area are just as high but the valley floors are much lower. Robbinsville's stadium is at 2000 feet, Swain at 1800 feet, and Murphy at 1500 feet, surprisingly McDowell which is considered the foothills is nearly as high as Murphy at around 1400 feet and most of the Asheville schools which are not in nearly as mountainous of an area as the smokies are higher than all of the above mentioned schools at around 2100 to 2200 feet. To my knowledge the highest elevated stadium to the south and west of Asheville is Tuscola at around 2700 to 2800 feet and would most likely put it at 6th behind the 5 I first mentioned, Heritage is most likely 7th at around 2600 feet even though the surrounding area is higher, thus why it's called the pit. Sorry for boring everyone with a topography lesson.

I now live in Alabama and was surprised when I found out that the highest point in AL was higher than Murphy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mitchell county mountie said:

Well, if its 2 mountain teams, they relish it. If its deep in tje playoffs, and some flatlanders come up... well you see alot of blankets on the sidelines. 

Just some frigid games I remember, 2005 or so Avery @ Mitchell. Hovered around 25 or so, then during halftime it started freezing rain. Dropped about 1/4" of ice on the stadium, and not a soul left. Refs were about to die.

2010 Mitchell @ Avery. Snowed a few inches during the game. It's remembered as the snow bowl.

2010 Mitchell @ Avery. 3rd round of the playoffs, 3 degrees and howling wind. 25mph+

2014 Mitchell @ Madison, Halloween night. Temp was around 28, kept alternating between rain and snow all night. 

2014 Mitchell @ Avery. 15 degrees and damp. In The 3rd quarter a heavy fog rolled in and iced everything over. It was so thick you couldn't see the other side of the field.

2014 Granville Central @ Mitchell 1st round of the playoffs. 15 or so and 30+ mph winds. Mitchell players were in short sleeves, chugging cold water, Granville Central went to the concessions stand and got the team hot chocolate at halftime.

2015 North Moore @ Mitchell, 1st round of the playoffs. 20 or so and damp, breezy.

Mountain teams have a distinct home field advantage late in the playoffs lol.

When Murphy vs Swain was the last regular season game, those were some brutally cold games.  I know my toes were blue the last game of my JV year (1989) against Swain.  There were actually flurries during the game which I never experienced during any other game.  

• Like 2