Sign in to follow this  
Vik-Val 86

Central Cabarrus at AL Brown

Rate this topic

4-2 Central Cabarrus will play 4-1 AL Brown. Central Cabarrus is playing some good games with only two loses with a close one to Hickory Ridge and somewhat close to Hunter Huss. Central Cabarrus had a big win over Clinton a couple weeks ago. AL Brown will have key games with first Central Cabarrus then Cox Mill and NW Cabarrus. These next two games are critical wins for the Wonders if they want to at least be in 2nd place. NW Cabarrus seems to be the bear in this conference. Any thoughts with this game. 

You are100% correct about the kids not giving up. They easly could have dropped their heads and quit after the 1 quarter when they were down 21 to 0 and nothing was going their way. Proud of them for the way they kept fighting to the end.

5 hours ago, wonderfan said:

First let me say I am extremely proud of these kids they have a ton of heart and never gave up! I just hate they are stuck with an average coach that is holding them back! There is no excuse for coming out flat every week and getting in a hole you have to dig out of.Everyone got all excited about  beating West and Davie well West is like a little brother you always beat up on, Davie had their two best players in shorts on the sideline and it still took a miracle to win! Then only scored 28 on Carson! As long as Newsom is there we will  e average at best! It will be just like last year lose three straight conference games hopefully beat Robinson and then blow Concord out, at best another 6-6 season!

The coach isn't the problem, its just that everyone at Kann expected him to do at Kann what he did at Butler,, he's the only glue holding Kann together.. as I concord grad that has lived in Kann for 30yrs now, I can tell you this,, about 54% of the town are now over the age of 50 and the people moving here have not ties to the school or idea of the old days, this mill town is not what it was years ago and never will be,, this town is slowly getting younger with the people moving here but they are not as concerned about football,, the school is now a soccer and to some extent a tennis, wrestling school much more than a power football school.  The last few games have seen Kann get in a hole early and also the Defense scoring points instead of the Offense, if that continues they are a 2nd round playoff team at best, 6-6 or 7-4 maybe 8-4 are the days of normal now

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wonderfan said:

First let me say I am extremely proud of these kids they have a ton of heart and never gave up! I just hate they are stuck with an average coach that is holding them back! There is no excuse for coming out flat every week and getting in a hole you have to dig out of.Everyone got all excited about  beating West and Davie well West is like a little brother you always beat up on, Davie had their two best players in shorts on the sideline and it still took a miracle to win! Then only scored 28 on Carson! As long as Newsom is there we will  e average at best! It will be just like last year lose three straight conference games hopefully beat Robinson and then blow Concord out, at best another 6-6 season!

Newsome has to go

4 hours ago, btango said:

Kannapolis has eight players not dressed tonight.  Is that all injuries?

Yes

I still believe that if we ever learn how to quit making dumb penalties and quit turning over the ball this could be a very good team and make a deep playoff run.

23 minutes ago, wonderfan said:

Goes back to no discipline 3 false start penalties that killed drivers. We are easily 21 points better than Central talent wise. I am sick of you people making excuses for him he is average at best and has to go!

Speaking of below avg football coaches. You guys see what Knotts did to your boy Blair Hardin tonight??  Yikes...48-0 in 3rd quarter. Might be time for him to change jobs again and get out of Knotts country.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wonderfan said:

And if you want to get out of someone's country just remember Blair took a joke in Porter Ridge that had done  nothing and spanked Newsom two years in a row!

Big boy football.....not so much.

8 minutes ago, wonderfan said:

Moron you are comparing Blair to one of the best high school football coaches ever! Don't get me started do you even have a team you pull for or you just like to run your mouth?

How many titles Blair have? Newsome=2. Asking for a friend.

5 minutes ago, wonderfan said:

I doubt you have any friends, yeah he had 10 or 12 D 1 players on his team and they kept winning after he left! Porter Ridge completely disappeared after Blair left! And Newsom can't even win a SPC 3a conference championship won it the first year hasn't won one since! First two losses to CC ever after next Friday first two losses to CM and lost to NW for the first time in 42 years, first loss to JMR, two 6-6 seasons maybe 3 after this year. He is going for all the records!

So that's zero? Guess he should get better players.

• Like 1

I am a big Blair Hardin fan!  What he did at PR was off the charts.  Don't fool yourself!  PR had some really talentedplayers other than the super elite kicker.  Loved their two title game runs.

When the Brown job came open, Blair was not excited about the prospects.  There were reasons. 

May be Newsome is not the right guy but the days of Kannapolis rolling in and people hiding have been over for a long time.  Different culture in the town now.  That does not mean they cannot have great teams but it is going to be tougher with the growth and talent spread throughout Cabarrus County especially on the Meck border.  Some of the old WNCHSAA city schools seem to have hit tough times with changing demographics and enrollments.  Albemarle, Brown, Concord, Lexington, Thomasville, Hickory.  Other city schools seemed to have had the same issues 

Good thing we did not have social media when Bruce went 22-13 over three seasons.  Smoked by Concord a few times and a couple of losses to East Rowan.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wonderfan said:

Look at the difference in talent level Blair had zero the best player on his team was the kicker, but yet he handed Newsom his ass twice! You are comparing apples to oranges but you are probably not smart enough to understand that!

So when Blair gets rolled  it's because he doesnt have " talent". When Newsome loses it's because he is a shitty coach.  Please explain?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wonderfan said:

Bruce was 10-3 including playoffs against Concord! Newsom is 5-3. In 1995 Bruce beat Tommy Knotts West Charlotte for their only loss State 4A champion, also handed Concord their only loss of the season knocking them out of the playoffs " only 1 team from the spc made the playoffs " and both teams had far more talent than we did!

I was at that game.  I remember a funny line regarding the WC game Bruce told a few of us.  "I prayed for rain and got a monsoon."

Did Central have more talent than Kannapolis last night?  I know they had by far the best player on the field.  I was not at the game so I am asking.  Coaches I have spoken with think that Kannapolis is average talent.  I only see about one game a year and I agree from those few games.

I really not think Central has more Talent than we do. If you take away that disaster of  first quarter where we had three turnovers after that we outscored them 27 to 10.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, btango said:

I was at that game.  I remember a funny line regarding the WC game Bruce told a few of us.  "I prayed for rain and got a monsoon."

Did Central have more talent than Kannapolis last night?  I know they had by far the best player on the field.  I was not at the game so I am asking.  Coaches I have spoken with think that Kannapolis is average talent.  I only see about one game a year and I agree from those few games.

Five turnovers by Kannapolis killed the Wonders.It got them in a 28-0 hole quickly.The game then changed with Kannapolis out scoring Central 27-3 down the stretch.Bennett and Vargas both had huge games for the Wonders.Kannapolis just could not dig themselves all the way out of the hole.

• Thanks 1

Kannapolis  came in this season having to replace the QB, 3 RB's, a Oline man or two, 1 or 2 WR's and about 3 true starters on the defense, and keep in mind most of those guys played on special teams, so while they are "young" to speak of this year, if you look at next season,, they will be losing 26 seniors off this years  "young" team, including there best player in Bennett the RB and Vargas the WR. Here's what will be a bigger deal, and that's losing all the "beef' as they lose almost all the O and D line's along with many CB's and SS. The defense will take a hit, so this young QB will be working with even a younger team next season than this season.. Cracks in the road, and then with the idea of the realignment looming, it will be interesting to see where the wins and loses fall not only this year but into the next 2 years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacks2start said:

Kannapolis  came in this season having to replace the QB, 3 RB's, a Oline man or two, 1 or 2 WR's and about 3 true starters on the defense, and keep in mind most of those guys played on special teams, so while they are "young" to speak of this year, if you look at next season,, they will be losing 26 seniors off this years  "young" team, including there best player in Bennett the RB and Vargas the WR. Here's what will be a bigger deal, and that's losing all the "beef' as they lose almost all the O and D line's along with many CB's and SS. The defense will take a hit, so this young QB will be working with even a younger team next season than this season.. Cracks in the road, and then with the idea of the realignment looming, it will be interesting to see where the wins and loses fall not only this year but into the next 2 years. 

I know who we better not lose to. Lol

Kannapolis top returning RB Jamison Flowe never saw the field this year due to torn ACL.He will be back next season for his senior year.The Wonder JV team is currently 6-0 this season.They have a lot of talent on that squad.Also...look for NWC to come back to the rest of the pack in the SPC next season.The Wonders should be fine next season.

14 minutes ago, 71K said:

Kannapolis top returning RB Jamison Flowe never saw the field this year due to torn ACL.He will be back next season for his senior year.The Wonder JV team is currently 6-0 this season.They have a lot of talent on that squad.Also...look for NWC to come back to the rest of the pack in the SPC next season.The Wonders should be fine next season.

JV wins mean nothing when comparing what they will do at the varsity level, any seasoned wonder fan will tell you that, just look at this year and the past 3 seasons, had your thinking been right then,  there wouldn't have been 6-6,6-5,7-3 season these last few years.  I hope the Flowe kid recovers from a bad ACL, but after a  year off and coming back to put up pinball type number stats is very unrealistic thinking,  just look at Zamir white at Georgia and he is getting the very best top notch medical care..  I've seen the kann jv  play this year, and size is never a issue, but it just doesn't always means wins at varsity , next year the now new Qb will have 1 yr under his belt, and then again mostly new Wr's to throw to, add in all new lineman to protect him and then the idea of another revamped defense of mostly new jv players and its not as simple as saying, the jv is 6-0 they will win at varsity,  most schools put very little work into there jv program other than kann where that seems to mean more to the fans than most other people.  Its all about feeder programs and the facts are that with where the kann middle school sits which is about a 6 min car ride to Northwest High School, that kids want to go to Northwest,,  the kids, the parents, and the school are all happy with coach Gentry coming in and turning the NW program around.. Winning brings other players in from the other schools, its just what it is. If after this year the next 2 yrs for kann bring 8-4 or 9-3 type results, then that's where the bar is highest,, if they go 5a or 4aa or whatever the state decides class wise with realignment then state titles are days of the past, just to many other bigger schools with larger numbers to climb that hill.

Free tickets to Kann first round game to anyone reading this if that happens,lol

I'm in on that. If it's free it's for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacks2start said:

If after this year the next 2 yrs for kann bring 8-4 or 9-3 type results, then that's where the bar is highest,, if they go 5a or 4aa or whatever the state decides class wise with realignment then state titles are days of the past, just to many other bigger schools with larger numbers to climb that hill.

The state will look at next years ADM's to decide where teams will be slotted.Kannapolis will be going in a 4A conference along with all the other schools in Cabarrus county except Mount Pleasant and possibly Concord.Mount Pleasant will remain 2A and Concord may stay 3A unless they find some students.They are right on the 3A-4A bubble.If they fall short they will probably be headed over to play with Catholic in a 3A conference.Pretty much all the other Charlotte schools will be going 5A.

Here is what bugs me. What is the expectation at Kannapolis wonderfan? Is it to go 11-0 like the glory days of Bruce Hardin? Kannapolis is not what it once was and never will be. The days of 15,000 packing Memorial Stadium are probably over. The mill is gone and so is most of the generational talent(multiple generations of a family playing for Kannapolis). Most of the people who move there now are new and have zero connection to the school as has been brought up multiple times. 

Also Blair Hardin probably wouldn't do any better. Having stood on the field and scrimmaged Kannapolis pre-season they never jumped out at me, in fact, Porter Ridge looked better I thought that day than Kannapolis. The talent level there is not what it was even in 2010-12. You can sit here and moan and cry and complain and call Newsome average all you want, but a man with two state title rings I think knows a little more about football than someone up in the stands. 

Now I don't know your role with the program, assuming with the Newsome bashing you aren't a coach or administrator, but maybe, just maybe the coaches on the field know a little more about how to use the talent they're given then you do. I'm sure it's frustrating to watch Kannapolis struggle and lose to teams they never have before, but they just are not what they once were. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wonderfan said:

If I were you I would comment on something I know more about! There are numerous kids on this team that had fathers and grandfathers that played at Kannapolis! And I am sick of hearing about the mill closing because when coach Boswell showed up the mill was running full steam and we sucked, three years later we were off and running what changed, the mill didn't change, the kids didn't change, the fact that a real football coach showed up is what changed! 

Well in that case I would take your own advice if I were you seeing as you've never walked that field at Kannapolis as a coach, hard for anyone to believe you know what you are talking about while you sit here and bash a good coach with state titles to his name who does more for the Wonders in two days than you have done in your whole life. Just saying. 

6 minutes ago, wonderfan said:

Done what drag us down in mediocrity? He has done nothing for our program, and you have no idea what I have done or haven't done for Kannapolis! Coming from a little boy still living in mom's basement that is hilarious! 

You must have me confused with someone else, think I'm a little more qualified than some kid living in his mom's basement. I'm sure you can find that guy over on another website. However, from what I've been told from fellow coaches and such I think my reply was accurate. 

I am not trying to disrespect you, however, I am not going to sit and watch a great coach get disrespected because he lost a couple games. Like I think many have said, might just be a tough year for Kannapolis, the SPC is stronger than it has been in past decades. Central Cabarrus, Cox Mill and NW Cabarrus are all improved. It isn't just Concord and Kannapolis anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of games are you serious!

Well seeing as they have two losses, yes. Last year is last year. If last year mattered then Catholic should've destroyed Weddington, but we didn't because last year doesn't matter. If you stay living in the past and using the past to gauge your expectations, you'll be constantly disappointed. 

Well if that is the case don't keep records for what coach has the most wins in the history of NC football, because apparently only this year matters! Coach Boswell started with nothing,  and only lost 37 games 14 in the first two years, Newsom has already lost 35 in less than 9 years and he inherited a  program that winning!

Well he inherited a program after you drove Ron Massey(the only coach who beat Catholic) out let's get that right. Kannapolis for four of those years was also in a conference with Mallard Creek, Vance and Hough. Once again, this isn't the Kannapolis of old and I think you are failing to grasp that. 

Look, I'm done arguing with you as I have better things to do on my Sunday like get ready for this week and watch football, but I think it speaks volumes when you get on here and trash a coach who works hard everyday so that you can walk in on a Friday night, sit in the stands and moan and complain. Wonder how much of the stuff you say on here you'd say to Newsome's face. Probably none of it, very easy to be a keyboard warrior when you sit up in the stands. 

• Like 1

Catholic, we didn't run Massey off he retired. And then two years later went back to coaching at Piedmont.

7 minutes ago, 84k said:

Catholic, we didn't run Massey off he retired. And then two years later went back to coaching at Piedmont.

I knew Coach Massey very well, and well enough to state that while he wasn't "run off" by any administration at KCS, he and his family were feeling the effects of fans with very unrealistic expectations (sound familiar?).  Massey also told me a few years before his departure at A.L. Brown that the demographics were changing, and that the talent level was nothing close to what it was when he showed up in 2000.  

• Like 1

Massey saw the writing on the wall.  He told me he felt the better they did the worse the complaints were when they lost.  He said his last season made him open his eyes.

40 minutes ago, 84k said:

My apologies then

3 minutes ago, wonderfan said:

I will say anything I say on here to his face! Just ask Chris, I told him to his face after the debacle against Robinson two years ago! Unlike you I have the balls to tell the truth! Now go watch some football maybe you will learn something! And coach Massey was head and shoulders better than Newsom! And don't even put Vance on that list hell we owned them 3-1! As far as only coach to beat Catholic I wish they would have played when Bruce or Boswell was the coach you would have been taken to the wood shed!

And I wish you could've faced us in 2014-18 so we could've ended your season another 5 seasons in a row, but we can't all get what we want now can we? 

Bruce Hardin vs Catholic is actually 1-3 all time. (1-1 at Harding, 0-2 at PDS). 

• Like 1