Sign in to follow this  
Paul Graham

WNC Week 8 Picks

Rate this topic

After a week off here we go again. 

Game of the Week this week is Smoky Mountain at Pisgah. The Mustangs head coach Ricky Brindley returns to Canton for the first time since leaving the Black Bears a season ago. I fully expect a near Tuscola-like crowd for this one. The Mountain 6 title hinges on this game. Pisgah is looking to knock the upstart Mustangs back to earth and Smoky is out to prove it belongs.

Smoky Mountain at Pisgah: 23-17

Another interesting match up is Heritage and Avery. Can the Cougars bounce back and stop the high flying Vikings? Can Avery pull the upset and make huge waves in the Western Athletic Conference?

Hayesville at Murphy: 34-12

Asheville School at Victory Christian: 22-16

Erwin at Roberson: 42-21

Enka at West Henderson: 49-6

North Henderson at North Buncombe: 33-3

Mitchell at Owen :41-14

Madison at Polk County: 44-6

Franklin at Hendersonville: 35-7

Tuscola at Asheville: 24-20

Cherokee at Andrews: 28-24

East Henderson at Brevard: 49-3

South Caldwell at McDowell: 31-8

Swain at Rosman: 52-3

Mountain Heritage at Avery County: 41-31

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul Graham said:

Game of the Week this week is Smoky Mountain at Pisgah. The Mustangs head coach Ricky Brindley returns to Canton for the first time since leaving the Black Bears a season ago. I fully expect a near Tuscola-like crowd for this one. The Mountain 6 title hinges on this game. Pisgah is looking to knock the upstart Mustangs back to earth and Smoky is out to prove it belongs.

Another interesting match up is Heritage and Avery. Can the Cougars bounce back and stop the high flying Vikings? Can Avery pull the upset and make huge waves in the Western Athletic Conference?

Mitchell at Owen :41-14Madison at Polk County: 44-6

Avery 41 points...NO way..

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Cougars66 said:

Avery 41 points...NO way..

I’d be surprised if the game is close let alone us losing, I could be wrong but Draughn and North Buncombe beat them by a combined 92-43 and we would beat either one of those teams by 21+, I guess we lost some street cred losing to Pisgah but we should get it back in the coming weeks.

23 minutes ago, MHHS09 said:

I’d be surprised if the game is close let alone us losing, I could be wrong but Draughn and North Buncombe beat them by a combined 92-43 and we would beat either one of those teams by 21+, I guess we lost some street cred losing to Pisgah but we should get it back in the coming weeks.

Our defense is GOOD...i dont see even the best 2a teams in the state put up 42...i see us winning atleast by 20..

• Like 1

I would love to see Avery win but Cloudland had more total yards when they played. Avery scores with 31 seconds left and ran a kick back for a TD. Looking at a 28-16 game if not for those. Just don’t see Avery beating Heritage yet. 

Yea..... I put up my draft copy from last week. Sorry the correct pick is Heritage 41-31. That was fun, I could feel you guys squirming all the way in Sylva...lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Smoky Mountain at Pisgah: 28-27

Hayesville at Murphy: 49-16

Asheville School at Victory Christian: 28-24

Erwin at Roberson: 35-28

Enka at West Henderson: 56-12

North Henderson at North Buncombe: 49-16

Mitchell at Owen : 42-21

Madison at Polk County: 42-6

Franklin at Hendersonville: 42-7

Tuscola at Asheville: 28-20

Cherokee at Andrews: 35-34

East Henderson at Brevard: 49-3

South Caldwell at McDowell: 35-8

Swain at Rosman: 56-12

Mountain Heritage at Avery County: 41-31

• Like 1

I agree with all you picks except for Pisgah-Smoky game. By that I mean I would be picking Smoky to win in a perfect world but its going to be a slobber knocker and I can't pick a winner. All I'm going to say is the team with the least penalties and turnovers will win a hard fought battle in the trenches. I just wish we could go back to the good ole days when Pisgah was our final conference game of the season. I think that would be a more climactic finish each year possibly having conference title at stake coming down to the wire deciding who comes out on top conference champ.

• Like 2

Just now, Medic2912 said:

I agree with all you picks except for Pisgah-Smoky game. By that I mean I would be picking Smoky to win in a perfect world but its going to be a slobber knocker and I can't pick a winner. All I'm going to say is the team with the least penalties and turnovers will win a hard fought battle in the trenches. I just wish we could go back to the good ole days when Pisgah was our final conference game of the season. I think that would be a more climactic finish each year possibly having conference title at stake coming down to the wire deciding who comes out on top conference champ.

Likewise, we end conference with Hayesville instead of what could be a championship decider with Murphy. (Rville will have a hearty say in this as well, chill fellas lol) Also, I think y'all can pull it out if you can get ahead, that Pisgah offense would be hard pressed to catch up to a 14 pt. lead. No offense to Pisgah btw, you are the favorites for sure after that awesome win over Heritage and I honestly expect y'all to edge out Smoky. I'm just hoping for a Smoky W for Parity's sake :) 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Paul Graham said:

After a week off here we go again

Thanks for your hard work Paul! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Paul Graham said:

I agree with you on all of these.Think Pisgah wins by 14  28-14.

5 hours ago, Paul Graham said:

Yea..... I put up my draft copy from last week. Sorry the correct pick is Heritage 41-31. That was fun, I could feel you guys squirming all the way in Sylva...lol

Ha ..hmmmm 31..i say 13 at most..we will see soon i guess

• Like 2

Maybe 66. I hope Avery gets better because its good for the WHC and WNC in general. Like Owen and Hayesville, both need to get better to help their conferences.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Paul Graham said:

Maybe 66. I hope Avery gets better because its good for the WHC and WNC in general. Like Owen and Hayesville, both need to get better to help their conferences.

Yeah i like seeing Avery playing better..but not against our Cougars....now against mitchell..im GOOD with that !!

• Haha 1

I'll be very surprised if Avery scores two touchdowns.  Hoilman is a good QB, but he's gonna have to get rid of it quick.  Heritage is probably gonna blitz every play and I don't think Avery's o-line will hold up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cougars66 said:

Yeah i like seeing Avery playing better..but not against our Cougars....now against mitchell..im GOOD with that !!

On a side note..Avery youth and middle school teams have also improved a lot so i see things looking up in Avery for the next few years 

• Like 1

I'm sure the peanut gallery is gonna chime in with their strength of schedule BS but according to Simmons ratings page Smoky has the 2nd highest scoring offense in 2A and 13th highest in entire state and their defense has only allowed 20 more points than the all mighty Bears while scoring almost 3x as many points as they have. It's definitely gonna to be a defensive game but I think it has chance of being a shootout with possibility of being higher scoring game. I'm hoping that my work schedule still allowing me to witness it first have and not having to listen on the radio between calls. Lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Medic2912 said:

I'm sure the peanut gallery is gonna chime in with their strength of schedule BS but according to Simmons ratings page Smoky has the 2nd highest scoring offense in 2A and 13th highest in entire state and their defense has only allowed 20 more points than the all mighty Bears while scoring almost 3x as many points as they have. It's definitely gonna to be a defensive game but I think it has chance of being a shootout with possibility of being higher scoring game. I'm hoping that my work schedule still allowing me to witness it first have and not having to listen on the radio between calls. Lol

They can light up the scoreboard in a hurry. But, you have to look at who they lost to as well. I really think this will be a slug fest. Two teams running about the same offenses. I also think you better get there early if you want a good seat. The atmosphere will bother Smoky.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Medic2912 said:

Strength of schedule definitely matters. You can act like it doesn't but it definitely matters. WHO YOU PLAY means a lot. If it didn't then playoffs wouldn't be determined by maxpreps 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hhs_redscare0206 said:

Strength of schedule definitely matters. You can act like it doesn't but it definitely matters. WHO YOU PLAY means a lot. If it didn't then playoffs wouldn't be determined by maxpreps 

Exactly. It has to matter. I commend Smoky for their scoring offense but they outscored 3 teams with a combined record of 3-21 by a margin of 174-7. Of course your scoring offense is going to look great, but remember even Rosman scored 40 on Madison. Who you play matters, simple as that.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, WestHendersonFalcons said:

Exactly. It has to matter. I commend Smoky for their scoring offense but they outscored 3 teams with a combined record of 3-21 by a margin of 174-7. Of course your scoring offense is going to look great, but remember even Rosman scored 40 on Madison. Who you play matters, simple as that.

I'm not saying strength of schedule doesn't matter either. My point is that everyone is saying Pisgah SS is so much stronger and they are such a better team when with the exception of Murphy and MH their other 3 opponents have a combined record of 2-16 with their combined margin of victory is 86-32. They may have a strong defense I'll give them that but defense can't always win games if you're offense can't produce as well.

4 hours ago, Medic2912 said:

. They may have a strong defense I'll give them that but defense can't always win games if you're offense can't produce as well.

That's the truth. I was very impressed with Pisgah's defense when I saw them, but the offense was off that night. They have gotten better in that regard. Smoky can score but i worry about their passing game and pass defense.

22 hours ago, WestHendersonFalcons said:

Exactly. Early in the year....they made it like us losing to you guys was the worst loss you could ever have....here  you guys are now...still undefeated....With a chance at conference in my eyes. Congrats by the way. That is just a way for people to brag about their team winning when they don't have anyone on the schedule non conference wise that is a tough draw.

• Like 1

Pisgah by 7

Murphy by 28

Victory Christian by 7

Erwin by 10

West Henderson by 42

North Buncombe by 38

Mitchell by 21

Polk by 50

Hendersonville by 28

Asheville by 13

Andrews by 20

Brevard by 40

South Caldwell by 20

Swain by 49

Mtn Heritage by 20

1 hour ago, hhs_redscare0206 said:

Exactly. Early in the year....they made it like us losing to you guys was the worst loss you could ever have....here  you guys are now...still undefeated....With a chance at conference in my eyes. Congrats by the way. That is just a way for people to brag about their team winning when they don't have anyone on the schedule non conference wise that is a tough draw.

Thank you. Yea, there is no shame in your record to date. You've lost to 3 schools with a combined record of 16-1. You'll be a load for anyone.

On 10/7/2019 at 8:48 PM, Paul Graham said:

It's almost game time for the slugfest coming to Milltown. I'm going to stands true to my boys in Blue and go with the upset. Smoky wins 10-7

1 hour ago, Appvol said:

Well it sounds like Avery D must of played pretty good if Heritage had 6 INTs . Next year Avery may be pretty tough.

To be fair if Avery hadn't thrown on some of those interceptions they would have turned the ball over on downs, two of the picks came in 4th down late on the game after Heritage already had a big lead and another happend when Avery was pinned 3rd and long on their five yard line and we fumbled it right back to Avery they ended up getting 15 yards and first down out of it. It's no secret that Heritages offense is struggling bit this year but, we did break a run for 60 yards and TD that got called back tonight. We're going to have to do a lot more offensively if we want to beat Mitchell.