Rate this topic

Everyone has wrapped up their non conference schedule, and the conference has looked much stronger top to bottom than in years past. 2 teams enter undefeated, and 3 more above .500.

Mitchell (6-0)(0-0) @ Owen (3-2)(0-0)

Mitchell has dominated their first 6 opponents, scoring big, and held up by a crippling defense. The starting d has amassed 45 tackles for loss, a staggering 24 sacks, 9 interceptions, and only allowed 1 touchdown. Owen had high hopes entering 2019, but after a rocky start, they are fortunate to be sitting above .500. All being said, they are still a scrappy squad with a good o line, and a smart QB. Home field will give the Warhorses a boost, but look for Mitchell to be firing on all cylinders against their first formidable opponent.
Mitchell-42
Owen-14

Madison (0-6)(0-0) @ Polk (6-0)(0-0) 

Polk has shade it thru their non conference unscathed, looking like a 1aa contender in the process. The offense has been a steady machine, while the defense has been stifling. Madison has been a mess of disfuction this season. They have only mustered 26 points, and have been shutout 4 times. Polk gets a needed easy one for homecoming after a tough stretch.
Polk-49
Madison-0

Mountain Heritage (4-1)(0-0) @ Avery (4-2)(0-0)
Mountain Heritage was looking like the dominant force they have been, building steam right up until Pisgah handed the Cougars their first shutout defeat in 8 years. Still, a stifling defense has been the highlight of this team, and that defense had only allowed 31 points. Avery has been the biggest surprise of the the season so far, winning the most games since 2014. Troy Hoilman can sling against anyone, and has the receivers to get it to. Although the Viks are putting up huge numbers, their defense has be anywhere from lackluster to nonexistent. Obviously a shootout favors Avery, but they will need to get some stops to compete with the top 3 heavy hitters in conference. 
Mountain Heritage-30
Avery-21

Mitchell 28 Owen 24 should be Mitchell's biggest test to date. Interested to see how they respond.

Polk 56 Madison 0

Heritage 40-  Avery-7 still think the Heritage defense will dominate. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wncbowhunter said:

Mitchell 28 Owen 24 should be Mitchell's biggest test to date. Interested to see how they respond.

Polk 56 Madison 0

Heritage 40-  Avery-7 still think the Heritage defense will dominate. 

Way to be conservative lol. I may have to eat my words, but I still see the Heritage/Avery game closer than Mitchell/Owen. Heritage will need to keep constant pressure on hoilman, but even then, he is a good scrambler. Heritage will get theirs, even with their less than stellar offense, because Avery's d will have no answer for a power rush attack. As to Mitchell and Owen, Owen's o line is big and pretty good, but I think they will get wore down in short order. Mitchell's LB's are mean on the blitz, they already have 24 sacks on the season. I don't know if Owen's #1 will hold up to constant pressure in the backfield.

15 hours ago, Mitchell county mountie said:

Everyone has wrapped up their non conference schedule, and the conference has looked much stronger top to bottom than in years past. 2 teams enter undefeated, and 3 more above .500.

Mitchell (6-0)(0-0) @ Owen (3-2)(0-0)

Mitchell has dominated their first 6 opponents, scoring big, and held up by a crippling defense. The starting d has amassed 45 tackles for loss, a staggering 24 sacks, 9 interceptions, and only allowed 1 touchdown. Owen had high hopes entering 2019, but after a rocky start, they are fortunate to be sitting above .500. All being said, they are still a scrappy squad with a good o line, and a smart QB. Home field will give the Warhorses a boost, but look for Mitchell to be firing on all cylinders against their first formidable opponent.
Mitchell-42
Owen-14

Madison (0-6)(0-0) @ Polk (6-0)(0-0) 

Polk has shade it thru their non conference unscathed, looking like a 1aa contender in the process. The offense has been a steady machine, while the defense has been stifling. Madison has been a mess of disfuction this season. They have only mustered 26 points, and have been shutout 4 times. Polk gets a needed easy one for homecoming after a tough stretch.
Polk-49
Madison-0

Mountain Heritage (4-1)(0-0) @ Avery (4-2)(0-0)
Mountain Heritage was looking like the dominant force they have been, building steam right up until Pisgah handed the Cougars their first shutout defeat in 8 years. Still, a stifling defense has been the highlight of this team, and that defense had only allowed 31 points. Avery has been the biggest surprise of the the season so far, winning the most games since 2014. Troy Hoilman can sling against anyone, and has the receivers to get it to. Although the Viks are putting up huge numbers, their defense has be anywhere from lackluster to nonexistent. Obviously a shootout favors Avery, but they will need to get some stops to compete with the top 3 heavy hitters in conference. 
Mountain Heritage-30
Avery-21

Defense has give up 25 points..offense give up a pick 6

Avery will be lucky to score this week.  Heritage really just gave up 3 points to pisgah. Big difference in pisgah game, heritage defense would stop pisgah then pisgah would punt heritage would drop 1 player back for pisgah would kick away from the punt return man then the ball would roll 20 yards , heritage would be back up to the 5 yard line, that killed us all night.

2 hours ago, bigjohnstud said:

Avery will be lucky to score this week.  Heritage really just gave up 3 points to pisgah. Big difference in pisgah game, heritage defense would stop pisgah then pisgah would punt heritage would drop 1 player back for pisgah would kick away from the punt return man then the ball would roll 20 yards , heritage would be back up to the 5 yard line, that killed us all night.

Not sure what that has to do with anything 

2 hours ago, bigjohnstud said:

The kicking game a big part of Football . We only had one man back to receive and guess what?MH kicked it away from him too.The difference is our kicker had more distance.

• Like 1

Where did all the Owen posters go to?  I haven't heard from them in quite awhile.   I would be interested to know what they think about their season so far now that the non conference is done.  They have improved this year.   

Mitchell by 21

Polk by 42

Mtn. Heritage by 24  

1 hour ago, gg4bama said:

Where did all the Owen posters go to?  I haven't heard from them in quite awhile.   I would be interested to know what they think about their season so far now that the non conference is done.  They have improved this year.   

Mitchell by 21

Polk by 42

Mtn. Heritage by 24  

Stampede claimed Owen would win out, right before the Brevard game. He hasn't been heard from since. Legend has it he is still in the men's room at brevard, trapped in some alternate dimension in which Owen won the game...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pisgah Bears said:

The kicking game a big part of Football . We only had one man back to receive and guess what?MH kicked it away from him too.The difference is our kicker had more distance.

Pisgah had a great game plan against us and did not make mistakes..and there punter was one of the best i have seen in a highschool game....

Reynolds only beat Owen by 28 so some predictions are a little over the top I think. Avery is going to get smoked as Heritage is awesome. Polk will destroy Madison. 

On 10/7/2019 at 3:24 PM, gg4bama said:

Mitchell by 21

Polk by 42

Mtn. Heritage by 24  

For the record, I said I felt Owen could win out if they played to their potential, with that being said even before Brevard I felt we were under achieving and I am still not convinced after thumping Franklin that we are where we need to be.  I do fully expect to win Friday but that's not up to me.  It's in the hands of kids.  I do want to say that I am finished posting, not because of a hissy fit or any thing like that.  In fact it is a show of self control.  I feel that these message boards are a source of bringing out the worst in myself, so I have chosen weeks ago to put it down.  I am a Christian man and want to be the best representation of that, that I can be and despite the fact I dont feel I have done anything that I feel is non Christian like, I still feel I can be better.  If you have a drinking problem, you dont go to the beer aisle in the grocery store.  So I am done.  Yall have a great time on here and I will still go to the games and enjoy myself and enjoy the rest of my life with my beautiful family the other 6 days of the week and leave this stuff behind.  I have met alot of folks from these boards that are great people and many I couldn't stand on the boards I actually liked in person.  Truth is we are all passionate about our teams and in more ways than not, are alot more alike than we would like to admit.  Like I said have a good time ladies and gentlemen on these boards.  They have been a source of great entertainment for me for years.  I'm sure I will come by and read when I need a good laugh but posting is over.  Shame ole Stampede all you want.  It doesnt matter.  What do you really gain?  I'm nobody, but God, well, he is Great!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Owen Stampede said:

For the record, I said I felt Owen could win out if they played to their potential, with that being said even before Brevard I felt we were under achieving and I am still not convinced after thumping Franklin that we are where we need to be.  I do fully expect to win Friday but that's not up to me.  It's in the hands of kids.  I do want to say that I am finished posting, not because of a hissy fit or any thing like that.  In fact it is a show of self control.  I feel that these message boards are a source of bringing out the worst in myself, so I have chosen weeks ago to put it down.  I am a Christian man and want to be the best representation of that, that I can be and despite the fact I dont feel I have done anything that I feel is non Christian like, I still feel I can be better.  If you have a drinking problem, you dont go to the beer aisle in the grocery store.  So I am done.  Yall have a great time on here and I will still go to the games and enjoy myself and enjoy the rest of my life with my beautiful family the other 6 days of the week and leave this stuff behind.  I have met alot of folks from these boards that are great people and many I couldn't stand on the boards I actually liked in person.  Truth is we are all passionate about our teams and in more ways than not, are alot more alike than we would like to admit.  Like I said have a good time ladies and gentlemen on these boards.  They have been a source of great entertainment for me for years.  I'm sure I will come by and read when I need a good laugh but posting is over.  Shame ole Stampede all you want.  It doesnt matter.  What do you really gain?  I'm nobody, but God, well, he is Great!

I am truly happy for you my man.  I hope you can stop by the boards some.  I understand about your faith and what you want to do.  God bless you and your family.  

1 hour ago, Owen Stampede said:

It's best not to take it personal.  I enjoy the smack talk, it's all just fun and nothing serious.  We all love High School football and as a matter of fact I would rather watch it than pro or college.  It's a family affair every Friday night and about the only chance other than church that my family is together in one place.  So don't quit posting, just have fun and poke us back.  The Heritage guys are getting good at it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mitchell county mountie said:

Here kitty kitty

Wow you beat owen....who has 3 wins..two against winless teams and one who had one win..dont get to excited just yet...that Defense will be waiting for you mountie

Hats off to Averys defense. For a defense that has got put down many times on this site, they had a terrific showing. Heritage may have gotten the win, but Avery beat themselves tonight. Cant turn the ball over 6 times and expect to win. Avery drove the ball up and down the field all night and then would turn it over. It felt like to me that we lost all of our momentum on a 4th and 3, from the 15 late in the game when we tried a fg for the lead and fumbled the snap. I feel the way like we should have went for it instead. Heritage wore down the defense late and was able to pad their lead a little. Truth is if we hadnt had as many turnovers i believe we would have won this game. As far as the Heritage/Mitchell game its still a toss up to me, but i feel Heritage is down compared to the last couple of years. If Mitchell can stop the run, protect the football, and complete some passes this may be the year that they get over the Heritage hump.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VIKING COUNTRY said:

Hats off to Averys defense. For a defense that has got put down many times on this site, they had a terrific showing. Heritage may have gotten the win, but Avery beat themselves tonight. Cant turn the ball over 6 times and expect to win. Avery drove the ball up and down the field all night and then would turn it over. It felt like to me that we lost all of our momentum on a 4th and 3, from the 15 late in the game when we tried a fg for the lead and fumbled the snap. I feel the way like we should have went for it instead. Heritage wore down the defense late and was able to pad their lead a little. Truth is if we hadnt had as many turnovers i believe we would have won this game. As far as the Heritage/Mitchell game its still a toss up to me, but i feel Heritage is down compared to the last couple of years. If Mitchell can stop the run, protect the football, and complete some passes this may be the year that they get over the Heritage hump.

220 yds offense is hardly going up and down the field all night .give avery credit there passing game can give someone ulcers..as far as avery beating there self.heritage caused them turnovers by making your qb run for his life and good coverage down field  without a bs holding call bringing back a 60 yd td the score would have been 30 something..is avery better yeah lots..and could finish between 2 and 4 i think in conf..good luck the rest of the way..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cougars66 said:

220 yds offense is hardly going up and down the field all night .give avery credit there passing game can give someone ulcers..as far as avery beating there self.heritage caused them turnovers by making your qb run for his life and good coverage down field  without a bs holding call bringing back a 60 yd td the score would have been 30 something..is avery better yeah lots..and could finish between 2 and 4 i think in conf..good luck the rest of the way..

Heritage had two very questionable (for the people wearing green not questionable at all) TDs. One the receiver dropped the ball after he fell out of bounds in the end zone. The other the QB made a killer throw while standing out of bounds. Avery's QB made some bad decision's but didn't get sacked nearly as much as Heritage's QB. Heritage won making no excuses, Avery kept it closer then most expected. Good luck to Heritage the rest of way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VikingNation48 said:

Heritage had two very questionable (for the people wearing green not questionable at all) TDs. One the receiver dropped the ball after he fell out of bounds in the end zone. The other the QB made a killer throw while standing out of bounds. Avery's QB made some bad decision's but didn't get sacked nearly as much as Heritage's QB. Heritage won making no excuses, Avery kept it closer then most expected. Good luck to Heritage the rest of way.

Avery has a very good passing game..recivers that can CATCH .qb that can throw on a dime while moving..never seen highschool kids that could make diving catches like they did last night..i think avery has a chance to win any game left on there schedule

• Like 1

Better play better than the last couple weeks or Mitchell will walk. 6 INTs by Avery helped a lot. Doubt Mitchell will make that many mistakes. Sure wasn’t a blowout in Newland like everyone thought. Good luck next week heritage, y’all gonna need it. 

Very competitive game between Avery and Mtn Heritage last night.  That was the first game that I went to that they lost.  Before this game I was wondering how good or bad Avery really was.  The Wilkes teams we played were pretty bad (played a lot of zero coverage) and Cloudland is down this year.  I am impressed with how Avery they played.  They are trending in the right direction and have an exceptional coach.  In the past if you had 6 turnovers Heritage would have hung 50 or 60 on us.  I believe it is a little of Avery is better than they have been in a while and Heritage is not as good as they have been.  I believe Joey did a good job in scouting Avery.  Lots of times they rushed 3 and dropped 8 where the passing lanes were extremely reduced. Avery's line was unbelievable in pass protection, we had all day to pass.  Defensive live did great as well.  Jesse Jones in my opinion was player of the game for Avery, Offensively and Defensively.  He is a totally different kid this year.  Lucas Andrews runs hard and plays great on defense.  As for Troy Hoilman, his worth is more that stats for Avery (good or bad).  He has brought is a culture change with his attitude and his work ethic.  No doubt this kid will learn from this experience and be better for it.  Great effort Avery, just keep playing hard.  Hard work always pays off.

• Like 2

Heritage did not want to show anything this week. It was very obvious. Yes Avery clogged the middle and that is where we ran all night. The outside was wide open. As for the calls the receiver had already taken 2 or 3 steps and the Avery defender slapped the ball out of his hands after he went out of the end zone. Also the fumble recovery after our first interception the Avery kid was laying out of bounds. If you want to question the referees, question why Hoilman was not sacked more. Possibly because of holding virtually every play and sometimes tackling the defensive lineman.  But everyone knows how calls in the game goes. Best of luck to Avery rest of the way.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Heritage 84 said:

Heritage did not want to show anything this week. It was very obvious. Yes Avery clogged the middle and that is where we ran all night. The outside was wide open. As for the calls the receiver had already taken 2 or 3 steps and the Avery defender slapped the ball out of his hands after he went out of the end zone. Also the fumble recovery after our first interception the Avery kid was laying out of bounds. If you want to question the referees, question why Hoilman was not sacked more. Possibly because of holding virtually every play and sometimes tackling the defensive lineman.  But everyone knows how calls in the game goes. Best of luck to Avery rest of the way.

Wow! 5 excuses in 1 post! And I thought Mitchell fans were the ones who made excuses...