Sign in to follow this  
EJHend

Band Practices with football team

I am a volunteer assistant coach at a high school where the marching band is a huge deal and somehow they were able to get a band stand, paid for by their booster club, put on the practice fields. Now we have to rotate using the field. Anybody ever heard of this happening before because I haven't? Head coach is new and pretty inexperienced and won't complain. Any suggestions?

I am 100% in favor of marching bands, they add a lot of schools, and to Friday nights.  But, the principal has to know who's putting more fans into the stands.  Is it the band?  Or is it the football team?  I'd assume the football team is who puts butts in seats.  If that's the case, the admin has to help out the football coach here. 

Yeah, Chris. That's what I think too. We have a couple of practice fields and they practice while we are practicing. It's very disruptive. This is my first year at this particular school, so I have no idea the history or anything but I know it's not something I've ever seen before. 

Being flexible can pay huge dividends for both programs in this situation.  The band most likely practices on the field every day during school and most likely, twice a week after school.  The football team practices every day after school except game day.  The could easily work out a compromise.  Some schools simply don't have the facilities to allow each their own.

It is never a problem with us if they are practicing on their field which is on the other side of the tennis courts. The fact is we play loud music during practice to help our players get use to crowd noise. So, the band noise never bothers us. We once had a tennis coach who complained about our noise during their match especially when the segment timer horn went off every 5 minutes. I told her that this should help our tennis team and be a distraction to their opponents since they had to practice hearing it every day. EJ, your problem would be a huge problem with me.  Why does the principal want you to share the practice field when there are two practice fields? Why would you have to rotate fields? Perhaps I missed something.  Please respond. If there was only one field I could understand. In that case the only option would be to set up a time schedule to share. Example: Mon., Tues., We practice late from 5 PM until with a study hall between 3 and 4:30 on those two days with all tutoring and makeup work taking place on those days. The band has the field from 3-5. On Wed. and Thurs. we have the field from 3-5. My friend who is the DC at Page tells me that they practice every Wed, from 6 AM - 8 AM. They do this even though they have zero field issues. They like to get the day over with and the kids have the afternoon off to get tutoring help, make up work, or do whatever they want to do. At EG we have 3 practice fields. Soccer has their own practice field. We probably have 150 acres so land is not a problem.