Sign in to follow this  
Tarborovikingsfan2018

Is this the year Southwest Edgecombe finally wins a state championship?

Rate this topic

Southwest Edgecombe looks really good IMO the best team since the 2015 team, that lost in heartbreaking fashion in the 4th round to Kinston in overtime 22-21. Which begs the question is the finally the year it all comes together for SouthWest Edgecombe and they win a state championship? I know a lot depends on weather they go 2a or 2aa but they'll be a tough out.

16 minutes ago, Mr.Blue&Gray said:

For that to happen Shelby is the team to beat in the West. They could go either 2A or 2AA. Not a Shelby fan, but they are the best in the business. 

Shelby will be tough to beat in the west. If they go 2aa and swe goes 2aa good chance they could play each other in the state title game

Just getting to the title game will be quite the accomplishment for SWE. Seems like they always go 2aa and get swallowed by much larger schools that have more size and depth. I dont think size "player wise" will be much of a factor for SWE this year. I would love to see them win it all. Couldnt happen to a more deserving school that has played tough and been in contention for so many years. Anyone who saw the North Davidson playoff game last year knows there is no question ND was a bigger school in numbers.

2 hours ago, bud33345 said:

Just getting to the title game will be quite the accomplishment for SWE. Seems like they always go 2aa and get swallowed by much larger schools that have more size and depth. I dont think size "player wise" will be much of a factor for SWE this year. I would love to see them win it all. Couldnt happen to a more deserving school that has played tough and been in contention for so many years. Anyone who saw the North Davidson playoff game last year knows there is no question ND was a bigger school in numbers

Yeah I think personally they are one of the top high school football programs to not get to a state title. That 2009 team should have went heck in 2015 they came up short on a two point conversion that would have won them the game in double overtime. This year Southwest has a physical running game with two big running backs and a passing game that's good also. I think if they go 2aa they should get to the 4th round. 

Some of the SWE faithful feel different but last year I felt like they really struggled with the spread offense. This year, like last year, they played South Central who runs a spread but they are a shell of what they were last year. I was just asking a SWE poster about Cornith Holders who they played last night and is 4A. I assume with their competition in conference they also ran a spread and SWE was able to come out with the W. I haven't heard how well they did as far as x's and o's go. So I hope they are getting that experience and learning defensive assignments against the spread or other passing formations because they will need to overcome it to have a chance in my opinion.

Spread offense have always been our Achilles heel for a long time, but we are really turning the corner on it. Our smallest player, Michael Hussey, is the best defender and leads the team in interceptions. He's 5 feet nothing, and teams try to pick on him, but he is a ball hawk and arguably the hardest hitter on the team. Looking at the stats, and his name will be at the top of the list for tackles. He is a threat to pick it off every time the ball is in the air. Yes, the pass defense has gotten much better. 4A Corinth Holders is a spread team, and we held them to their lowest point total. 

I would be happy just getting to the big game. I'd have no expectations vs Shelby. Gotta be realistic. But the road there should come through Pinetops again. We shouldn't be threatened anymore this regular season, as our conference is not good at all right now, so a 10-0 reported record is expected. We've got to take advantage of this window. We are in a good cycle right now, but it's not a birthright. It wasn't that long ago that we went 0-11, 2-9, 0-11. So like I said, just getting to the big game would be enough to make me 😭.

2 hours ago, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

I agree they struggled against spread offenses last year. The more they play against spread offenses the more better they'll be. Offensively they struggled last night from what I've heard. 

Those were some big country boys out there! Yet we did not struggle against them. We struggled against the referees. Both teams did. In spite of what the online papers say, both teams had over 130 in penalties. Max Preps has the accurate stats. We had a 75 yard TD run called back, and a 50 yard run called back. We also lost 3 fumbles that negated offensive stats. We rushed effectively, but over 10 holding calls and fumbling didn't help the offense at all. The referees were on something last night. I don't know what their state ranking is, but they were the toughest team on the field.

I tell ya, I been around high school football for nearly 25 years, some of the calls I've seen this year really make me wonder about the point spreads over and under, that sort of thing. I mean in years past you would at least get a couple of quiet weeks with a few questionable calls and just say, "ya know that's a judgement call at the blink of an eye". This year has been so far off the mark it seems. They make a questionable call only to make another questionable call to make up for the call earlier just to keep the score gap the same. I know this can be said for every year but It's gotten crazy. I even thought about doing some research to see how flags are thrown, if they line up with point spreads to see if there is a correlation. I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I dont know how to explain what I've seen this year. It seems to be so blatant. According to Simmons SWE was favored by 8 but won by 7. Hmmmm. I really dont want to make this a topic, or redirect this thread but I'm  just curious how many scores were called back by each team? Then we can leave it there.

2 hours ago, swe'98 said:

Spread offense have always been our Achilles heel for a long time, but we are really turning the corner on it. Our smallest player, Michael Hussey, is the best defender and leads the team in interceptions. He's 5 feet nothing, and teams try to pick on him, but he is a ball hawk and arguably the hardest hitter on the team. Looking at the stats, and his name will be at the top of the list for tackles. He is a threat to pick it off every time the ball is in the air. Yes, the pass defense has gotten much better. 4A Corinth Holders is a spread team, and we held them to their lowest point total. 

I would be happy just getting to the big game. I'd have no expectations vs Shelby. Gotta be realistic. But the road there should come through Pinetops again. We shouldn't be threatened anymore this regular season, as our conference is not good at all right now, so a 10-0 reported record is expected. We've got to take advantage of this window. We are in a good cycle right now, but it's not a birthright. It wasn't that long ago that we went 0-11, 2-9, 0-11. So like I said, just getting to the big game would be enough to make me 😭.

Oh yes number 1 is a straight machine he gets to the ball fast. Honestly this year I think y'all will get to the fourth round this is the best team I think that Southwest has had to win a State title truly since 2009 while yes that 2015 team was good I don't think they had a team that could have beaten Shelby that year with all due respect because that Shelby team was GOOD!. this year's team to me looks like it can handle a spread offense and can get after the quarterback and shut down the opposing team's top wide receiver. should y'all go this year I'm pretty sure it would be against Shelby would y'all win I don't know I wouldn't say y'all wouldn't. my ultimate dream is to see North Edgecombe Tarboro and Southwest all win State title in the same year in football. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

Oh yes number 1 is a straight machine he gets to the ball fast. Honestly this year I think y'all will get to the fourth round this is the best team I think that Southwest has had to win a State title truly since 2009 while yes that 2015 team was good I don't think they had a team that could have beaten Shelby that year with all due respect because that Shelby team was GOOD!. this year's team to me looks like it can handle a spread offense and can get after the quarterback and shut down the opposing team's top wide receiver. should y'all go this year I'm pretty sure it would be against Shelby would y'all win I don't know I wouldn't say y'all wouldn't. my ultimate dream is to see North Edgecombe Tarboro and Southwest all win State title in the same year in football. 

I think all 3 have the chance to play in regional finals. NE shouldn't lose anymore in the regular season either. They just dismantled their biggest hurdle this last game. Princeton would be a tough playoff matchup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swe'98 said:

I think all 3 have the chance to play in regional finals. NE shouldn't lose anymore in the regular season either. They just dismantled their biggest hurdle this last game. Princeton would be a tough playoff matchup.

This is the best North Edgecombe team I've seen in years. They got a real good shot. I think both Tarboro and Southwest have good opportunities to go all the way

• Like 1

I saw that N.Edgecombe team this year when they stepped off the bus at the jamboree. They were not the team I had pictured for this year. I don't know what they put in the biscuits at big Jim's there in Leggett but they have done surprisingly well this season. Princeton normally goes 1AA. 

7 hours ago, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

my ultimate dream is to see North Edgecombe Tarboro and Southwest all win State title in the same year in football

This really would be something.

15 hours ago, bud33345 said:

I tell ya, I been around high school football for nearly 25 years, some of the calls I've seen this year really make me wonder about the point spreads over and under, that sort of thing. I mean in years past you would at least get a couple of quiet weeks with a few questionable calls and just say, "ya know that's a judgement call at the blink of an eye". This year has been so far off the mark it seems. They make a questionable call only to make another questionable call to make up for the call earlier just to keep the score gap the same. I know this can be said for every year but It's gotten crazy. I even thought about doing some research to see how flags are thrown, if they line up with point spreads to see if there is a correlation. I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I dont know how to explain what I've seen this year. It seems to be so blatant. According to Simmons SWE was favored by 8 but won by 7. Hmmmm. I really dont want to make this a topic, or redirect this thread but I'm  just curious how many scores were called back by each team? Then we can leave it there.

2 for SWE that were both in excess of 50 yards, and a hail Mary catch to close the first half by CH that appeared by all to be caught was called incomplete. Can't lie though... just like I said that SWE could have beaten Tarboro were it not for 3 missed scoring opportunities inside the 10, CH could very well have won, because they were at our 5, 9, and 15, before we turned them over on all three drives. Had everything played out, it would have been something like 41-34 CH. They were definitely the biggest team we'll see. They weren't big like hogs. They were big like lumberjacks. The qb looked like Big Ben R. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, swe'98 said:

2 for SWE that were both in excess of 50 yards, and a hail Mary catch to close the first half by CH that appeared by all to be caught was called incomplete. Can't lie though... just like I said that SWE could have beaten Tarboro were it not for 3 misses scoring opportunities inside the 10, CH could very well have won, because they were at our 5, 9, and 15, before we turned them over on all three drives. Had everything played out, it would have been something like 41-34 CH. They were definitely the biggest team we'll see. They weren't big like hogs. They were big like lumberjacks. The qb looked like Big Ben R. 

Fascinating!

6 hours ago, bud33345 said:

I saw that N.Edgecombe team this year when they stepped off the bus at the jamboree. They were not the team I had pictured for this year. I don't know what they put in the biscuits at big Jim's there in Leggett but they have done surprisingly well this season. Princeton normally goes 1AA. 

Yeah they got a hard hitting running back this year. They'll be a tough out in 1a

Honestly hoping they can. I hate they quit playing Southern Nash, those Sweet Potato Bowl games were always fun to watch but honestly can't blame them. Hoping they can stay healthy and make a deep run. They have a difficult conference to navigate first though.

I think swe will come out of the 2aa east, I'm hoping they get some competition though.  North Davidson isn't as good this year, right now Ledford or Oak Grove might be the biggest obstacle, unless someone else goes big 2a east.

19 minutes ago, BigKev71 said:

Honestly hoping they can. I hate they quit playing Southern Nash, those Sweet Potato Bowl games were always fun to watch but honestly can't blame them. Hoping they can stay healthy and make a deep run. They have a difficult conference to navigate first though.

Dude, have you seen our conference? It's a real cakewalk. The other teams are a combined 9-21. It's embarrassing.

Even if hypothetically Shelby went small 2A. Burns(last year 3A,same conference as Shelby this year) has a monster defensive front that's hard to run on. They would most likely be 2AA.  

Hibriten(who has turned into a spread team) and South Point are also 2AA  with titles under their belts and neither are easy to contend with.  Who ever comes out of the east there will still be a TALL order as most of the west contenders all are used to winning titles ONCE they make it.

From what I read Anson Cty is under the radar and very good. If they're sent east it may still be a hard road to the ship.

4 hours ago, Mr.Blue&Gray said:

I have ? just  out of curiousity. Why is Tarboro and North Edgecombe not in the same Conference? I Follow alot of High School football. North Edgecombe hasn't been great since the mid to late 90s.

North Edge com be had their glory years under the tutorage of Raymond Cobb, who actual lived in SWE's district. Cobb then left NE and came to SWE in the early 2000s, and if you look at the records of SWE and NE, you can see exactly what year he made the move. NE was good, and SWE was no good, but the fortunes and records switched the exact year he switched. Raymond Cobb is why NE lost their greatness and why SWE is now a pretty good program. His son now coaches SWE, but things aren't run much differently. 

I have no idea why Tarboro and NE arent in the same conference. They were until the last realignment. They moved Tarboro to a more eastward conference with miles to travel to get to member schools, even though NE is about 8 miles away, and Rocky Mount Prep, NW and SE Halifax, and Weldon are in neighboring counties. Geographically, Tarboro doesn't fit. It should be RMP, NE, Tar, Riverside, South Creek, Weldon, NW and SE Halifax. Hwy 64 connects them all.

5 hours ago, BigKev71 said:

I hate Tarboro and southern Nash no longer play each other those games were Always close. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

I hate Tarboro and southern Nash no longer play each other those games were Always close. 

Yessir. That series was always a good one. A lot of mutual respect between the programs.

5 hours ago, kms51 said:

I think swe will come out of the 2aa east, I'm hoping they get some competition though.  North Davidson isn't as good this year, right now Ledford or Oak Grove might be the biggest obstacle, unless someone else goes big 2a east.

At minimum I think swe goes to the 4th round. However should they get to the state title game weather it's 2aa or 2a more than likely they will be the underdog. I think ledford will be their biggest test but then again south point could go east

1 minute ago, BigKev71 said:

Yessir. That series was always a good one. A lot of mutual respect between the programs.

Yep definitely. if it was up to me we would drop the game against Washington and replace it with Southern Nash. Last time we played southern Nash it was a defensive slugfest 

28 minutes ago, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

At minimum I think swe goes to the 4th round. However should they get to the state title game weather it's 2aa or 2a more than likely they will be the underdog. I think ledford will be their biggest test but then again south point could go east

If they go small 2A they will give some of those east teams some problems. Most think SWE will be big 2A and those small 2A teams have no idea what SWE are capable of. SWE are well seasoned in handling t- offenses. Let the chips to the chip fall where they may. Lol

54 minutes ago, Tarborovikingsfan2018 said:

Yep definitely. if it was up to me we would drop the game against Washington and replace it with Southern Nash. Last time we played southern Nash it was a defensive slugfest 

I never really understood the Washington/Tarboro series. Is it considered a rivalry in the Tarboro halls?

16 minutes ago, swe'98 said:

I never really understood the Washington/Tarboro series. Is it considered a rivalry in the Tarboro halls?

Not really lol. I don't consider it a rivalry tbh they haven't scored any points on Tarboro since 2015. Northern Nash is more of a rivalry because they play Tarboro tough and it's always hard hitting. Granted back in 2014 Washington destroyed Tarboro 41-7 at Tarboro it was absolutely stunning.

Nope. Not if 2AA. Then there is Reidsville and others in 2A.

Edited by GDG

Hard to say, especially in 2A or 2AA.  Plenty of good teams.  New high schools and slow growth (except for the Wilmington area) in the eastern part of the state have diluted the ADMs of many high schools that were previously 3A or even 4A schools.  Several good teams with some great players, I guess the issue is which ones have the depth to sustain a playoff run.  When I played in the mid -70's Northeastern, Northern Nash, Kinston, Goldsboro, Rocky Mount, Greenville Rose, Jacksonville, and Wilson Fike were all 4A. Tarboro, Washington, Edenton, Ahoskie, Clinton were 3A.  Now some former 4-A are 2A or 3A, and most of the former 3-A are 2-A.  So I've pretty much lost a feel for how good those schools are in their current classification.  A team may have a few good players, but lack of depth will be telling when they face better opponents, so I wouldn't hang my hat on a particular team because they have a few studs - look at everyone else on their team and coaching to better predict their playoff success.