Sign in to follow this  
Vik-Val 86

Statesville vs Concord

Rate this topic

There was a time that this would have been  a good game. I think we all know who is going to win. But the question is how will Statesville play. Will it be a blowout or will Statesville miscues and mistakes keep Concord in the game. I think Statesville has potential of a 49-7 win. 

These two teams played some great playoff games back in the day.  Concord was never able to get past the Hounds in the postseason, I remember the 1996 game like it was yesterday.  Seems that each time, the Spiders would dominate but lose on the scoreboard. 

• Like 2

The hounds will not start slow in this one. This team has not realized it's full potential. This Friday they take command early and dominate the spiders. I agree 49-7 hounds get the w.

9 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

These two teams played some great playoff games back in the day.  Concord was never able to get past the Hounds in the postseason, I remember the 1996 game like it was yesterday.  Seems that each time, the Spiders would dominate but lose on the scoreboard. 

Yeah Chris, I remember those geat battles in the Hollow as a little boy... Your right about Concord, they would come up to Statesville and put up big numbers... The Greyhounds would overcome Concord with BIG PLAYS... There is a lot of magic in that Greyhound Hollow...

Statesville is getting better each week where in the past few years they would start well and not end well. To be fair they were also in a more difficult conference. This will not go well for Concord. There is no Rocky Reid to be found in Concord. Those years may have been there last hooray.

Concord has only won 1 football game in their last 17 games.Go ahead and make that an 1-17 record in their last 18 games after Statesville takes care of business.Is Marty Paxton on the hot seat at Concord?

10 minutes ago, 71K said:

Concord has only won 1 football game in their last 17 games.Go ahead and make that an 1-17 record in their last 18 games after Statesville takes care of business.Is Marty Paxton on the hot seat at Concord?

Fan wise: Yes 

Admin : I’m unsure bc Concord has lost talent and all so I don’t know what they want but Ik with rich history n all it may not last much longer but who knows 

4 minutes ago, 71K said:

I didn’t realize they have been that bad. The last real noise they made was when Rocky Reid played. Beast. That dates back at least 4 years.

Only thing that I cant get over is watching South Iredell play Davie, Dudley, Culbertson. Then watch Statesville go out of their way to scrimmage the easiest schedule in the state. Instead of Concord who's be declining for 3-4 years why not Huss, Kannapolis, NWC, Hickory Ridge. 

Just stat padding wins and stats against underwhelming teams smh

SHS by 30+

• Like 1

Here is my thoughts. Statesville is already playing 2 Concord teams. Concord n Concord Robinson. Would of been good to eliminate one of the Concord teams and added AL Brown. Then AL Brown would had an extra game to play. But it is what it is. 

Just dont understand Gusler's philosophy. Schedule cupcakes to make your win-loss look good? Or do you think your young but extremely talented teams will get embarrassed by good to great teams? I would love to know Gusler's win-loss against teams with 8 or more wins since he's been at SHS. 

Holy cow! Where was all this complaining about the schedule when the hounds were playing Al Brown, North Davidson, West Rowan when they were wining state titles and also playing West Forsyth? Don't forget about South Iredell who won a state title a few years back. It is not Statesville's fault that their opponents are having down years. For those of you who do not know, the talent level in Iredell county is on the rise and SHS gets a lot of that talent. To sum it up " don't hate the player hate tha' game!"

4 hours ago, El Campion said:

WeOnly thing that I cant get over is watching South Iredell play Davie, Dudley, Culbertson. Then watch Statesville go out of their way to scrimmage the easiest schedule in the state. Instead of Concord who's be declining for 3-4 years why not Huss, Kannapolis, NWC, Hickory Ridge. 

Just stat padding wins and stats against underwhelming teams smh

SHS by 30+

Statesville has beaten a (3-1) Alexander Central team.Alexander Central had a nice win over a (3-1) Hibriten team.

Statesville also has beaten a (3-1) Lake Norman team.

That means that Lake Norman and Alexander Centrals only losses this year were to Statesville.Two pretty nice wins for Statesville this year.

• Like 2

Trust me, I know Guss very well... He runs from no one... He's also ready for what's in front of him... So let him play it out one game at a time people... The time will come, who dares to show up at THE HOLLOW... 

Man yall funny. Nobody was expecting Lake Norman or AC to be as good as Kannapolis, NWC, or Huss. Statesville runs from anybody good to great. Again I respect South and Mooresville for not ducking REAL competition. I'm a Greyhound 4 life but also a realist.  Take those blue and grey glasses off. WE SCARED OF GREAT COMPETITION next time we schedule perennial state powers I'll shut up but until then I'll speak Facts!! Keep padding stats. Beat real teams that'll go further than a 1st or 2nd round playoff exit

15 minutes ago, Grey/Green&Gold said:

Trust me, I know Guss very well... He runs from no one... He's also ready for what's in front of him... So let him play it out one game at a time people... The time will come, who dares to show up at THE HOLLOW... 

Exactly!!! I know this to be true also. Gus nor SHS has run from any team I can remember.

• Like 1

The reason I brought up Statesville n AL Brown is that was always a good matchup. They had some really good games between the two.  Maybe one of these days they will start playing each other. I like to see Concord get back to their winning ways. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

The reason I brought up Statesville n AL Brown is that was always a good matchup. They had some really good games between the two.  Maybe one of these days they will start playing each other. I like to see Concord get back to their winning ways. 

Agreed Vik...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, El Campion said:

Man yall funny. Nobody was expecting Lake Norman or AC to be as good as Kannapolis, NWC, or Huss.

When the contract was signed to play Alexander Central this past year everyone knew they had a very good program including Statesville.Alexander Centrals season record was (10-2) in 2017 and (9-3) in 2018.Coach Carter has done a great job with that program.That's not a team you wanted to schedule if you were looking for cup cakes.

Word up!! And AC might not be considered a great team as some would say but they are a darn good team. Not every team can be great but still play good ball for their fans to enjoy. Gee, I guess that is why it is high school sports.

Ok. So why is Statesville afraid of playing GREAT programs? All this talk about Statesville. I still question are we really as good as the fans think? Look at Catholic, Mallard Creek, South Iredell, Mooresville, Shelby. Great teams always put a real test on their schedule. Statesville just stop padding. The Gig is up ppl see what we're doing. I wont post on this thread again. Statesville by 30+ over 0-4 Concord

4 hours ago, blazer236 said:

Holy cow! Where was all this complaining about the schedule when the hounds were playing Al Brown, North Davidson, West Rowan when they were wining state titles and also playing West Forsyth? Don't forget about South Iredell who won a state title a few years back. It is not Statesville's fault that their opponents are having down years. For those of you who do not know, the talent level in Iredell county is on the rise and SHS gets a lot of that talent. To sum it up " don't hate the player hate tha' game!"

On the Rise? As a whole county IREDELL IS DOWN IN football -- West Iredell is down , NI is horrible, Mooresville is Decent, LKN is decent ; Statesville is best; PLP is rebuilding,  SI is down as well ....... Also I think other counties like Forysth and Other around us are even down as well but Iredell Co Is NOT A football talent county - I believe Basketball and Even Baseball and Maybe even Wrestling is very strong in Iredell co but I dont see the RISE 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, El Campion said:

Ok. So why is Statesville afraid of playing GREAT programs? All this talk about Statesville. I still question are we really as good as the fans think? Look at Catholic, Mallard Creek, South Iredell, Mooresville, Shelby. Great teams always put a real test on their schedule. Statesville just stop padding. The Gig is up ppl see what we're doing. I wont post on this thread again. Statesville by 30+ over 0-4 Concord

How about 50+...

• Like 1

Ok I get it. If you are decent you are down in talent. Everyone has to be Mallard Creek or Weddington or Catholic or you suck. Wait a minute, what do all those teams have in common? Hmmm....they are all in the Charlotte metro area. Charlotte the 17th largest city in the US and you guys are comparing the talent level in that area to Iredell County. Wth? That's like comparing a top of the line Mercedes to a Cadillac. Gimme a break!! Both cars are good but the Mercedes will always outshine the Caddy. Just by numbers alone Forsythe County and Mecklenburg Counties will always out man Iredell. Just common sense. 

1 minute ago, blazer236 said:

Ok I get it. If you are decent you are down in talent. Everyone has to be Mallard Creek or Weddington or Catholic or you suck. Wait a minute, what do all those teams have in common? Hmmm....they are all in the Charlotte metro area. Charlotte the 17th largest city in the US and you guys are comparing the talent level in that area to Iredell County. Wth? That's like comparing a top of the line Mercedes to a Cadillac. Gimme a break!! Both cars are good but the Mercedes will always outshine the Caddy. Just by numbers alone Forsythe County and Mecklenburg Counties will always out man Iredell. Just common sense. 

But U said It was on the rise so It cant be ...... If everyone is down 

• Like 1

I kinda agree how statesville doesnt play tough teams so here a show of that ; Yes ik u cant help if team is bad or good 

Year 2018: 
Statesville went 9-4 
Opponents overall record: 25-32 
Teams were: Hickory 5-6 ; LKN 3-9; Northern Guildford 8-4; West Iredell 5-6 ; and Walkertown 4-7 

Year 2017: 
Statesville went 9-5 
Opponent overall record 23-47 
Teams were: Hickory 6-6 ; LKN 2-9 ; Northern Guildford 6-6; West Iredell 5-7 ; Walkertown 0-11; Anson 4-8

Year 2016:
Statesville went 5-7 
Opponents overall record: 29-26
Team were: Hickory 2-9 ; North Rowan 11-3 ; West Forysth 11-3 and Carver 5-7 

Year 2015: 
Statesville went 9-4 
Opponent overall record: 24-26
Teams are: Hickory 1-10; North Rowan 5-7; West Forsyth 10-4; Carver 8-5

Year 2014: 
Statesville went: 9-5
Opponents overall: 23-25
Teams were: Hickory 1-10; North Rowan 10-3 ; West Forsyth 9-3;  Lexington 3-9

Year 2013: 
Statesville went 7-6 
Opponent Overall record: 32-19 
Team were: Hickory 6-6; North Rowan 13-1; West Forsyth 12-2; Carver 1-10 

Overall: 6 years statesville Ave 9 wins , No record over 10 wins 
they have 2 year they were Under 8 wins 
Also the best team Statesville played in Recent Memory is West Forysth - The worst is Hickory as record proven. 
Also Statesville BEST overall Opponent record is 2013 and 2016 and the worst being in 2017

*****NOTE: THIS IS ONLY FOR NON-CONFERENCE GAMES other than OVERALL RECORD SHOWN*******

@El Campion Thoughts? 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, blazer236 said:

On the rise meaning kids in the middle schools: talent for the future. 

Well I hope so but Rn - South Iredell doesnt have much atm ; LKN has some good talent, Mooresville has some good talent, NI/WI who knows and Statesville Talent has always been there but we can go back n forth on that topic 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

I kinda agree how statesville doesnt play tough teams so here a show of that ; Yes ik u cant help if team is bad or good 

Year 2018: 
Statesville went 9-4 
Teams were: Hickory 5-6 ; LKN 3-9; Northern Guildford 8-4; West Iredell 5-6 ; and Walkertown 4-7 

Year 2017: 
Statesville went 9-5 
Teams were: Hickory 6-6 ; LKN 2-9 ; Northern Guildford 6-6; West Iredell 5-7 ; Walkertown 0-11; Anson 4-8

Year 2016:
Statesville went 5-7 

Year 2015: 
Statesville went 9-4 

Year 2014: 

Year 2013: 
Statesville went 7-6 

Overall: 4 years statesville Ave 9 wins , No record over 10 wins 
Also the best team Statesville played in Recent Memory is West Forysth - The worst is Hickory as record proven. 
Also Statesville BEST overall Opponent record is 2013 and 2016 and the worst being in 2017

*****NOTE: THIS IS ONLY FOR NON-CONFERENCE GAMES other than OVERALL RECORD SHOWN*******

@El Campion Thoughts? 

You more than proved my point. Thank you

I see you conveniently left off the accomplishments of the 2012 team which went 13-2 and produced a current NFL player Breon Borders. Also this team went to Belmont and beat a South Point team that no-one in Cleveland County could touch and was unbeaten. It also beat a South Iredell team that won a 2AA state title that year. It also beat a 10-3 West Rowan team. Lastly it lost by 2 points to a North Davidson team that went to the 4A semi final game that year. Also it beat the best team from the mountains in Asheville Erwin. Gee dawg, how could you forget these facts? Oh 3 D1 players on that team!!! Now I ask you during that time period, who else went into Belmont and did what this team did? Now look at those key wins closely. West Rowan had one How many state titles recently? North Davidson almost made it to a state title game that year! South Iredell won a state title that year. Ooooooh but the Greyhounds NEVER play and beat tough teams? BTW North Davidson in 2012 beat Mount Tabor, Dudley, Davie all by more than 7 points. We lost by 2 and could have won had we not fumbled trying to get into field goal range. North Davidson finished 14-1 that year. Bbbbbbbut..... the hounds do not play tough teams!!! 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, blazer236 said:

I see you conveniently left off the accomplishments of the 2012 team which went 13-2 and produced a current NFL player Breon Borders. Also this team went to Belmont and beat a South Point team that no-one in Cleveland County could touch and was unbeaten. It also beat a South Iredell team that won a 2AA state title that year. It also beat a 10-3 West Rowan team. Lastly it lost by 2 points to a North Davidson team that went to the 4A semi final game that year. Also it beat the best team from the mountains in Asheville Erwin. Gee dawg, how could you forget these facts? Oh 3 D1 players on that team!!! Now I ask you during that time period, who else went into Belmont and did what this team did? Now look at those key wins closely. West Rowan had one How many state titles recently? North Davidson almost made it to a state title game that year! South Iredell won a state title that year. Ooooooh but the Greyhounds NEVER play and beat tough teams? BTW North Davidson in 2012 beat Mount Tabor, Dudley, Davie all by more than 7 points. We lost by 2 and could have won had we not fumbled trying to get into field goal range. North Davidson finished 14-1 that year. Bbbbbbbut..... the hounds do not play tough teams!!! 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

I was going to do the past 10 years but I got lazy so excuse me not going all way back n doing the research !!! Just bc they play a Tough schedule 1 yr so what, How about they do it consistently! also 2012 is prob the last BEST team Statesville has seen and Prob the BEST one playoff wise but the Past 6 season they haven't gotten past the 1st-2nd round mostly 

1 hour ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

Year 2018: 
Statesville went 9-4 

Year 2017: 
Statesville went 9-5 

Year 2016:
Statesville went 5-7 

Year 2015: 
Statesville went 9-4 

Year 2014: 

Year 2013: 
Statesville went 7-6 

Overall: 6 years statesville Ave 9 wins , No record over 10 wins 

@El Campion Thoughts? 

I see 48 Statesville wins in 6 years.That averages out to 8 wins per year.

• Like 2

Just because they play a tough schedule 1 year so what? Really? Sounds like haterism to me. So just because these kids do not achieve greatness as one other poster put it you trivialize these coaches and players efforts? I certainly hope you do not have any kids playing high school sports. I could just imagine you scolding your child just because he or she does not have the fastest time in the 40. I have covered high school football in Iredell county for many years. You remind me of some of the miserable mis guided pseudo supporting parents who think their kid is the best thing on turf. Unwilling to teach their child that sports is like life. Do your best and work hard. It's not about being great all the time. Last year the hounds beat East Rowan by 30+ points in the regular season. They played ER in the first round of the playoffs and won 7-6. One of the best games and efforts I had seen by a team in a while. East Rowan didn't have the most athletic team but they had heart and a good game plan. I am not sure if they finished .500 or not. But they held us to 7 points, something Kings Mountain did not come close to doing. After the game I talked to some E R players and coaches and I told them they played some of the best football I had seen. To this day I still give them big respect for them and their effort. Perhaps you might want to consider not who plays who but how hard these kids play and sacrifice. Or better yet" it's not wether you win or lose but how you play the game."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Statesville is ranked #10 in the state in the AP 3A poll this week.With big wins over two previously undefeated teams...Lake Norman and Alexander Central the Hounds deserve this respect and the sports writers gave it to them this week.Congrats to all the players,coaches,and fans of Statesville for this big achievement.

• Like 2

From 2013-2018. I rate Statesville is above average team in the long run. To me they haven't  been great. They have proven to beat good teams, but not great teams. They have beaten Sun Valley and Hickory Ridge 2014, they beat a good South Iredell, Carver team in 2015. This year Statesville teams so far they beat Lake Norman and Alexander Central.  In 2013 Statesville gave away wins to Hickory, North Rowan, Mooresville,  and Lake Norman were teams that year.  The give away to Mooresville was the worst. 

What in the world has happened to Concord?  Has all the talent left the town or did the retirement of EZ Smith bring the program down that much?

Grey/Green&Gold, What years did you play at Statesville?  I had two cousins that played there back in the late 90's.  We have always thought SHS was an underachieving program.  Coaches that have been there have never really gotten the talent much better.  They usually beat the teams they out athlete but when it comes to x and o's and having to beat a third or fourth round team not much luck or even the chance cause they lose to some team in the first or second round.

• Like 1