J-Heat1110

Charlotte Catholic

Rate this topic

Anyone else find it funny that Charlotte Catholic has two losses when playing similar competition in other private schools? A private school with no-boundaries should not be allowed to play with public schools. Private Schools playing in public school leagues have almost killed prep football in Pennsylvania. Lots of studies have shown that private schools routinely out perform public schools in just about every measurable sport except boys basketball and even then its close. Private schools have distinct advantages in no boundaries, funding of athletics/school, and being able to be selective in the athletes it accepts to the team. Most private Parochial schools have a built in feeder middle school that only feeds on private highschool and they can weed out low academic performers. Bottomline these type of parochial private schools should not be playing in public school playoffs. 

14 minutes ago, J-Heat1110 said:

Anyone else find it funny that Charlotte Catholic has two losses when playing similar competition in other private schools? A private school with no-boundaries should not be allowed to play with public schools. Private Schools playing in public school leagues have almost killed prep football in Pennsylvania. Lots of studies have shown that private schools routinely out perform public schools in just about every measurable sport except boys basketball and even then its close. Private schools have distinct advantages in no boundaries, funding of athletics/school, and being able to be selective in the athletes it accepts to the team. Most private Parochial schools have a built in feeder middle school that only feeds on private highschool and they can weed out low academic performers. Bottomline these type of parochial private schools should not be playing in public school playoffs. 

You have good points in this but it doesn’t apply to Charlotte Catholic. I contend Charter schools and magnets which are state supported public schools should be the focus. They are even destroying the public schools academically.

• Like 1

They are very similar to Catholic @Catholic and @ Wrigley. Sure there are differences but they are more similar to Catholic than Catholic is similar to the public schools it competes against. Its not even debatable. When Catholic plays similar schools they lose.  They are taking advantage of being a true private school playing in a public school league. The advantages Catholic or any parochial school has are too numerous to even list. Of course a fan of Catholic would love the status quo and not do research on how private schools playing in public leagues is destroying the integrity of the prep experience. 

GDG, you are helping make my point. Public schools have a different dynamic of student and student athlete they have to deal with that a private school just doesn't have to factor in. When 92% of your student body goes to college after private school vs. 20-40% at most public highschools I'd say thats a distinct advantage. Haveing an admissions selection process is a distinct advantage, 

5 minutes ago, J-Heat1110 said:

They are very similar to Catholic @Catholic and @ Wrigley. Sure there are differences but they are more similar to Catholic than Catholic is similar to the public schools it competes against. Its not even debatable. When Catholic plays similar schools they lose.  They are taking advantage of being a true private school playing in a public school league. The advantages Catholic or any parochial school has are too numerous to even list. Of course a fan of Catholic would love the status quo and not do research on how private schools playing in public leagues is destroying the integrity of the prep experience. 

GDG, you are helping make my point. Public schools have a different dynamic of student and student athlete they have to deal with that a private school just doesn't have to factor in. When 92% of your student body goes to college after private school vs. 20-40% at most public highschools I'd say thats a distinct advantage. Haveing an admissions selection process is a distinct advantage, 

*rolls eyes even harder* wow I thought Id seen it all. 😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J-Heat1110 said:

You can’t pull the recruiting card cause you have zero evidence so you pull the academics card. Nice. Your numbers are off though. 99+% of our students go on to college and we are very proud of that and will never apologize for it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

going to college doesn't equal good football. 

Comparing Catholic to PRIVATE high schools is an apples to oranges debate. playing at Catholic, as a transfer,  is actually harder than anywhere else in NC. this is just a catholic recruiting thread under a new title. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, J-Heat1110 said:

Got it Catholic no defense to facts just rolls eyes. 

You’re picking with the wrong guy to debate facts about Catholic with lol but hold on I’m busy. I’ll get to you in a few 

• Like 1

Catholic I never used the word recruiting. Catholic doesn;t recruit at all. Never alleged they did. I stated they have distinct advantages as do all Parochial schools playing vs. plblics in that that they dont have boundaries, they have unfair funding advantages over public schools, and they have a controlled admissions process that allwoes them to be selective in the student they get. Any child of any background can go to any public school, not so at private schools. Its a distinct advantage in sports. Look at the research. Privates vs. public schools is heavily skewed towards privates because they dont get a general acceptance child and are more affluent than public schools. Not about whose team beat what, but playing on a a level field for all involved.  

18 minutes ago, J-Heat1110 said:

Catholic I never used the word recruiting. Catholic doesn;t recruit at all. Never alleged they did. I stated they have distinct advantages as do all Parochial schools playing vs. plblics in that that they dont have boundaries, they have unfair funding advantages over public schools, and they have a controlled admissions process that allwoes them to be selective in the student they get. Any child of any background can go to any public school, not so at private schools. Its a distinct advantage in sports. Look at the research. Privates vs. public schools is heavily skewed towards privates because they dont get a general acceptance child and are more affluent than public schools. Not about whose team beat what, but playing on a a level field for all involved.  

Funny, you bring up academics or our process of admissions to which you know nothing about outside of what you see in research concerning other schools. Even other parochial schools. Here's what you don't know. Catholic does have a boundary, both literally and figuratively. Literally you must live in a 25 mile radius as the crow flies of Charlotte Catholic to play sports, that was put in by the NCHSAA and Catholic follows it to a T. Also figuratively, the boundary of religion. If you are not Catholic would you want your kid getting a Catholic based education with everything that comes along with it? Such as mandatory school wide mass at least once a month if not more? Maybe some are ok with that, but if you are for instance say a Baptist and you go to a Baptist church and believe strongly in it, why would you send your kid to go be taught at a school that is a different denomination? Also less than I believe 15% of the city of Charlotte identifies as Catholic, the number may be under 10% in all honesty. 

Seeing that you are a CMS guy I think you have more issues to worry about instead of whether Catholic or some parochial's up in Pennsylvania are "ruining HS athletics" because CMS has their own issues they need to work out when it comes to athletics, facilities and the like. 

You want facts? Here are some facts for you. 100% of students that attend Charlotte Catholic HS graduate. Since 2010, I cannot remember one kid who did not graduate. 99+% of those graduates go on to college, whether that is a community college or a 4 year institution. No one at Catholic will ever apologize for those facts. 

My class is about to start up so I don't have time to debate you all day, but if this is your biggest gripe with Catholic, that we have great academics and a phenomenal student body that comes from three main schools (Holy Trinity, St Ann's and St Marks) then so be it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-Heat1110 said:

I simply cant have this debate anymore. It is mind numbing. Both Good Counsel and Rummel offer tuition assistance specifically for athletics and its the single biggest difference. I will never understand why people cant just use common sense with regards to Catholic. Why they cant just go to a game, look at the kids and say " nope, zero advantage there". I have to assume it is largely because people cant get their arms around losing so they need to creative the narrative of unfair advantage. Because they have a controlled admission process they have a better football team???

People act like Catholic has never been beat. They have been run off the field by public schools, so walk me through how that is possible? Out of curiosity what do you think the graduation rate at Northern Guilford was the year they hung 50 on them? Do smart , motivated kids typically make better athletes- ABSOLUTELY!! SO why dont more public schools work harder at that piece?

In the year 2019 where athlete movement is everywhere in the public school system there is no way you can tell me they have an unfair advantage. Boundaries are largely irrelevant and have been for 5-10 years now.Does a strong feeder system help- sure, go look at where Mallard Creek and Vance get their kids......great feeder schools.   

• Like 2

Why do we go through this every year. Just go out there and beat them and everything will take care of it's self.

Trust me I know we lost to them 3 years in a row in the playoffs, finally in 08 we beat them at Catholic.

It probably wouldn't hurt if the NCHSAA would do what Catholic does about transfers. If you transfer to Catholic you have to sit out 365 days b4 you can play if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Catholic said:

Funny, you bring up academics or our process of admissions to which you know nothing about outside of what you see in research concerning other schools. Even other parochial schools. Here's what you don't know. Catholic does have a boundary, both literally and figuratively. Literally you must live in a 25 mile radius as the crow flies of Charlotte Catholic to play sports, that was put in by the NCHSAA and Catholic follows it to a T. Also figuratively, the boundary of religion. If you are not Catholic would you want your kid getting a Catholic based education with everything that comes along with it? Such as mandatory school wide mass at least once a month if not more? Maybe some are ok with that, but if you are for instance say a Baptist and you go to a Baptist church and believe strongly in it, why would you send your kid to go be taught at a school that is a different denomination? Also less than I believe 15% of the city of Charlotte identifies as Catholic, the number may be under 10% in all honesty. 

Seeing that you are a CMS guy I think you have more issues to worry about instead of whether Catholic or some parochial's up in Pennsylvania are "ruining HS athletics" because CMS has their own issues they need to work out when it comes to athletics, facilities and the like. 

You want facts? Here are some facts for you. 100% of students that attend Charlotte Catholic HS graduate. Since 2010, I cannot remember one kid who did not graduate. 99+% of those graduates go on to college, whether that is a community college or a 4 year institution. No one at Catholic will ever apologize for those facts. 

My class is about to start up so I don't have time to debate you all day, but if this is your biggest gripe with Catholic, that we have great academics and a phenomenal student body that comes from three main schools (Holy Trinity, St Ann's and St Marks) then so be it. 

I don’t have a dog in this fight, I’m honestly just asking a serious question...If Charlotte is less than 10% Catholic what is Charlottes population? Does that statistic really equal up to 3A numbers? If so, that’s incredible, never realized how many Catholics leaved in the south, I don’t know of any in Cleveland County. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, C. Laettner said:

I don’t have a dog in this fight, I’m honestly just asking a serious question...If Charlotte is less than 10% Catholic what is Charlottes population? Does that statistic really equal up to 3A numbers? If so, that’s incredible, never realized how many Catholics leaved in the south, I don’t know of any in Cleveland County. 

They play up a division. There numbers are 2a numbers

8 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

They play up a division. There numbers are 2a numbers

What is the cutoff for 3A?  I thought almost 1200 kids was easily 3A, but I could be mistaken.

3 hours ago, J-Heat1110 said:

Yaaaawwwwwnnnnnnn

2 hours ago, Catholic said:

You can’t pull the recruiting card cause you have zero evidence so you pull the academics card. Nice. Your numbers are off though. 99+% of our students go on to college and we are very proud of that and will never apologize for it. 

I agree.  Instead of complaining about Catholic playing public schools, public schools, their supporters and administrators might want to focus on doing better in educating the students. When they do that, then and only then be concerned about Catholic. 

1 minute ago, mrhonda said:

I never see this kind of thing debated regarding Cardinal Gibbons in Raleigh.  Why is that?

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Cardinal Gibbons petition the state to play up in 4A? I don't know if thats true but they have 1500 kids and play in Big 4A.  We all really know why though...Catholic is a winner, and people hate a winner.

Outside of the last couple of years . Charlotte Catholic looks like kids participating in NASA space camp. I just don’t see the advantage?  They’re the epitome of a Football team. Not a lot of individual studs, but collectively they get it done. 

• Like 6

People keep complaining about Catholic.  I'd love to see Catholic play Cardinal Gibbons.  Good Counsel comes down from Maryland to play Catholic next year.  Rummel from La. came here this year.  If Catholic can go to those places and have those teams travel that distance, surely Catholic and Cardinal Gibbons can do a home and home travelling to and from Raliegh. 

22 minutes ago, mrhonda said:

I never see this kind of thing debated regarding Cardinal Gibbons in Raleigh.  Why is that?

Nah, it's even worse there. There are conferences that refuse to play Gibbons

Those conferences have a right and shouldn't have to play private schools. They are in essence private schools. meaning not Public and playing under the same rules as other public schools. The same issues that occur in PA, NY, MD, and other areas of the US apply to Catholic now. catholic fans dont want to acknowledge an unfair playing field but there is no other way to state it. I applaud teams and conferences that refuse to play Gibbons, or Catholic. When the Rowan County schools said something it was an uproar but they had the confidence to say something. By vote it was very close to them being removed so I'm not the only one that feels they should play their playoffs amoing themselves instead of using public schools as schedule fillers and fodder to build their programs. 

To even mention a 25 mile radius is funny, when most public schools have a 3-5 mile radius that they share with other public schools, and private schools agreed to this to kjeep from getting booted. Lets be serious. 25 mile radius from a school. Thats  an entire county and more. 

3 hours ago, mrhonda said:

It’s because they haven’t won a State Championship in football. At least not recently, if they did in the past it has been forgotten. Nobody mentions Bishop McGuiness either... they don’t make any noise in football. How about CTK?

This gets rehashed every year. If you running clock them, you don’t care. Comparing any of the private’s (all 3, 4 if CTK is in NCHSAA... I don’t know) that play in the NCHSAA to those in Florida, Pennsylvania, Maryland or most other states is uninformed at best & asinine at worst. A more realistic comparison would be Bishop England in South Carolina. By the way, when they win championships in football (not regularly) the same griping emerges. When they lose, all is forgotten & nobody cares.

Oh yeah, I don’t live within 3-5 miles of any school... HS or elementary, public or private.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-Heat1110 said:

Those conferences have a right and shouldn't have to play private schools. They are in essence private schools. meaning not Public and playing under the same rules as other public schools. The same issues that occur in PA, NY, MD, and other areas of the US apply to Catholic now. catholic fans dont want to acknowledge an unfair playing field but there is no other way to state it. I applaud teams and conferences that refuse to play Gibbons, or Catholic. When the Rowan County schools said something it was an uproar but they had the confidence to say something. By vote it was very close to them being removed so I'm not the only one that feels they should play their playoffs amoing themselves instead of using public schools as schedule fillers and fodder to build their programs. 

To even mention a 25 mile radius is funny, when most public schools have a 3-5 mile radius that they share with other public schools, and private schools agreed to this to kjeep from getting booted. Lets be serious. 25 mile radius from a school. Thats  an entire county and more. 

Lol. This is funny. Stay mad my friend, worry about CMS. You have enough issues to deal with there

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coachE42 said:

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Cardinal Gibbons petition the state to play up in 4A? I don't know if thats true but they have 1500 kids and play in Big 4A.  We all really know why though...Catholic is a winner, and people hate a winner.

I believe they did.  But, I don't think there's been as much debate and controversy over Gibbons playing public schools as it has been for Catholic.

42 minutes ago, ConnerP said:

It’s because they haven’t won a State Championship in football. At least not recently, if they did in the past it has been forgotten. Nobody mentions Bishop McGuiness either... they don’t make any noise in football. How about CTK?

This gets rehashed every year. If you running clock them, you don’t care. Comparing any of the private’s (all 3, 4 if CTK is in NCHSAA... I don’t know) that play in the NCHSAA to those in Florida, Pennsylvania, Maryland or most other states is uninformed at best & asinine at worst. A more realistic comparison would be Bishop England in South Carolina. By the way, when they win championships in football (not regularly) the same griping emerges. When they lose, all is forgotten & nobody cares.

Oh yeah, I don’t live within 3-5 miles of any school... HS or elementary, public or private.

BINGO! We have a winner

• Like 1

4 hours ago, work7 said:

Outside of the last couple of years . Charlotte Catholic looks like kids participating in NASA space camp. I just don’t see the advantage?  They’re the epitome of a Football team. Not a lot of individual studs, but collectively they get it done. 

well said

• Like 1

Cardinal Gibbons petitioned to move up from 3A to 4A at the midway point of the last alignment.  Their reasoning was sensible.  Their numbers had increased to the point that they would be 4A for this current alignment.  The other schools in Wake County are 4A.

CG was small 4A in the last two football playoffs as they are in the smaller half of 4A playoff qualifying schools.

I think CG has a bit more advantage than Charlotte Catholic because of the competition for students that Catholic has in their own area with the Big 4.

Catholic had and has the enrollment fir 3A.  They are playing in the classification their enrollment placed / places them although their numbers are near the cutoff fir 2A.  The enrollment has dwindled, most likely, with the opening of Christ The King which serves northern Meck County.

• Like 1

I’m still mind blown that the 10% of Catholics in Charlotte all live in a 25 mile radius...I’m still shocked they have that many Catholics period in Charlotte! And they all live in the same area? Crazy man, kinda sad too. I thought segregation was over. 

1 minute ago, C. Laettner said:

I’m still mind blown that the 10% of Catholics in Charlotte all live in a 25 mile radius...I’m still shocked they have that many Catholics period in Charlotte! And they all live in the same area? Crazy man, kinda sad too. I thought segregation was over. 

It might be less than 10%. Keep in mind not every Catholic family sends their kids to Catholic. St. Matthews in south Charlotte is the largest Catholic parish in America. St. Mark’s(where I attended K-8) is close behind. 

• Like 1

This has more to do with Catholics success than anything. If they start taking L's, the chatter goes away. Throughout the years I have watched Catholic beat numerous teams with more Athlete's on their roster's. Where exactly do you recruit a 5'8" 155lb CB? :lol:  It would be a lot easier just giving them their props, and putting in the work. They have a system in place that develops their young kids for the future, with a dedicated coaching staff. It's just down right embarrassing listening to some of these excuses. A lot of coaches are just lazy and take their balls and go home complaining about a delusional advantage that does not exist. Instead of just raising the bar, and challenging their players.

Crazy how no one was complaining when Catholic was playing in 4A with 3A numbers.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, C. Laettner said:

Not sure what you are trying to say here?

25 miles from Catholic takes in areas in other counties.

I doubt 10% of the population of Meck County is Catholic.  The national percentage is below 20% but higher in large cities, the upper Midwest, and northeast.

Regardless of the percentage of the population that is Catholic the school has about 1,200 students.  I have never heard of a Catholic student being turned away.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J-Heat1110 said:

When the Rowan County schools said something it was an uproar but they had the confidence to say something. By vote it was very close to them being removed so I'm not the only one that feels they should play their playoffs amoing themselves instead of using public schools as schedule fillers and fodder to build their programs.

Rowan County has had some of the biggest issues with boundaries and students not attending  their home district school.

The coach that pushed for it win two state titles and his star future BCS player should have been at a neighboring school.  

The Rowan County push was hypocritical and they way they went about was cowardly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J-Heat1110 said:

Their boundary is $12,000 a year and for about 95% of the students a religion.

I personally think the Parochials should play up a class and only Diocese members in good standing for at least two years should be able to play sports.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, btango said:

Not sure what you are trying to say here?

25 miles from Catholic takes in areas in other counties.

I doubt 10% of the population of Meck County is Catholic.  The national percentage is below 20% but higher in large cities, the upper Midwest, and northeast.

Regardless of the percentage of the population that is Catholic the school has about 1,200 students.  I have never heard of a Catholic student being turned away.

I’m not try to say anything. I just find it fascinating! These Catholics are clearly talented and superior in all facets of life. Football especially! I just wish we had more Catholics in all regions, their coaching and education is clearly superb! It’s just interesting to me. Why do they love Charlotte so much these Catholics? Is it jobs? Are there Catholic schools in Asheville? How does one, start a Catholic school?