Sign in to follow this  
PHS Bear

West Henderson at North Buncombe. Game of the week?

Rate this topic

These two teams have showed up so far. I don't think N.B. has any followers on here but I think this should be the game of the week. Both are undefeated with the normal conference leaders having a rough start. This game might be interesting. Thoughts?

• Like 1

This should be a good game and possibly a shootout. Both teams can run the ball as well as anybody in WNC. Which team can stop the other and force enough turnovers to win?

1 minute ago, titanman27 said:

This should be a good game and possibly a shootout. Both teams can run the ball as well as anybody in WNC. Which team can stop the other and force enough turnovers to win?

Agree. My team is off this week. Thinking I may go watch this one.

• Like 1

I haven't seen NB this but I have seen West and I like this team, especially if they play D like they did against Hendersonville. They have really good athletes along with size and they play smashmouth. Plus I think their opponents have been much better to date (ER is a good team but has played 3 REALLY good teams to open).

I see WH winning this one by 14+.

• Like 1

Probably one of the best seasons that North Buncombe had was back in 1995 when they went undefeated in regular season. Beat out teams like AC Reynolds, Freedom in the regular season and beat  South Point 1st rd of the playoffs. But they would go on and lose to Enka 2nd rd. But NB whipped up on Enka earlier in the season. Does anyone remember NB that year. I still remembered it like it was yesterday. I have relatives up in the Weaverville area that went to North Buncombe. They were 12-1 that year. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bootlegger said:

I haven't seen NB this but I have seen West and I like this team, especially if they play D like they did against Hendersonville. They have really good athletes along with size and they play smashmouth. Plus I think their opponents have been much better to date (ER is a good team but has played 3 REALLY good teams to open).

I see WH winning this one by 14+.

After watching Hendersonville put 49 points on Asheville ,West Henderson would have to have a darn good team to hold the Bearcats to just 13 points.I would take the Falcons by 17 .

11 hours ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

Probably one of the best seasons that North Buncombe had was back in 1995 when they went undefeated in regular season. Beat out teams like AC Reynolds, Freedom in the regular season and beat  South Point 1st rd of the playoffs. But they would go on and lose to Enka 2nd rd. But NB whipped up on Enka earlier in the season. Does anyone remember NB that year. I still remembered it like it was yesterday. I have relatives up in the Weaverville area that went to North Buncombe. They were 12-1 that year. 

was that the year they had Jeremy Lassiter (sp) at running back? They kid was scary fast.

2 hours ago, Paul Graham said:

was that the year they had Jeremy Lassiter (sp) at running back? They kid was scary fast.

They beat my Bears that year Lassater was a really good running back . Went to the Air Force Academy.They finished 12-1 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul Graham said:

Paul, I don’t recall any names but I remembered just keeping up with how they were doing. Since I’m not up from that area but have relatives still living in that area and had went to that school. I remembered thinking that N. Buncombe was having an unusual good season than  what they normally have. 

• Like 1

Jeremy took the WNC career rushing title from Brett that year. He held it until Manny broke it while at Brevard. Those were (3) stud running backs that came through WNC in a short amount of time.

• Like 1

Good win West. Always respect the game style that West brings to the field. Glad to see North Buncombe on the rise again. Hopefully Heritage and NB can renew their games against each other in the future. One of the closest teams to play but have not competed in a few years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bootlegger said:

West defense is dominating. NB averaging 56 points per game up to now. 

NB was averaging that against 3 teams that aren’t very good either.  West is going to be tough for anyone in the mountains.  

• Like 1

I went to Weaverville and watched the game. West has a good looking team. Their defense was in the backfield constantly. NB never had a chance to get things going. Congrats to West. The WMAC better look out.

9 hours ago, Heritage 84 said:

Good win West. Always respect the game style that West brings to the field. Glad to see North Buncombe on the rise again. Hopefully Heritage and NB can renew their games against each other in the future. One of the closest teams to play but have not competed in a few years.

Probably won’t happen. If your a smaller school and whip that ___ they will drop you like a hot tater 

I was at the game Friday and was really impressed by our boys. It's becoming evident that Coach Whit has found his formula of playing stout defense and chewing clock with a dominant ground game. That's a really good formula to win ball games. Bye week next week to rest up, then the meat of our conference schedule begins. 

• Like 1