Sign in to follow this  
Bigraider6

College football on Friday night

Rate this topic

Both Wake Forest and UNC  play this Friday night .  I reckon money talks ... What are your thoughts ? As for me I'll be pulling for The Richmond. Raiders and listening for other high school  scores ... Friday night is meant for high school football.. 

Big mistake!  While I'm a huge ACC fan, and like UNC as well as Wake, I for one won't be there, nor will I follow this game.  Football on Friday's is too important for high schools.  The ACC needs to re-evaulate having games on Friday's, but of course to make that happen, the established coaches like Mack Brown, Dabo Swinney, Dave Doeren, David Cutcliffe, etc, will have to fight back against ESPN. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Chris Hughes said:

Big mistake!  While I'm a huge ACC fan, and like UNC as well as Wake, I for one won't be there, nor will I follow this game.  Football on Friday's is too important for high schools.  The ACC needs to re-evaulate having games on Friday's, but of course to make that happen, the established coaches like Mack Brown, Dabo Swinney, Dave Doeren, David Cutcliffe, etc, will have to fight back against ESPN. 

TV money is driving the sport. Always has. Funny thing though is I truly believe that the over saturation of the product has begun to have a negative effect especially on the pro game. 

So many games now spread throughout the week coupled with so many avenues in which to watch those games has begun to create overload. There used to be an excitement built into Sunday afternoons but by mid season the consumer has reached a point where they just dont need the fix anymore.

Between the Sunday ticket, Sling, Fubo and the ESPN app I bet I had 50+ games at my finger tips in a 48 hour period on Sat- Sun. Now, throw in HS football on Friday, college on Friday, NFL on Thursday and Monday........too much

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Overall it hurts HS football a lot. It directly impacts revenue which is critically needed. How many will not attend HS games because attending or watching college games on TV? 10k, 20k, 50k....? 

It’s short sighted & dollar driven on the part of the colleges/conferences but that’s the way the world often works. They get money & the high schools do not. As they say... that’s your problem not my problem.

• Like 1

Problem is colleges are getting the money now but will it cost them more in the long run.  High school football struggles in a lot of areas and it will struggle more in the future.  If there was only club football I think a lot of college programs would suffer may be not the elite but the smaller ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ConnerP said:

1 hour ago, ConnerP said:

It’s short sighted & dollar driven on the part of the colleges/conferences but that’s the way the world often works. They get money & the high schools do not. As they say... that’s your problem not my problem.

It will become a problem at the next level in a few years. When adults lose interest in the high school game, and unfortunately the kids interest will probably follow.

Between the parents that don't want their kids playing football and the parents who will jerk a kid up and out of a school for greener pastures, there continues to be a wider and wider separation between the haves and have nots.

I'm personally not a huge fan of college and professional football. The pros are playing for the money and a lot of college kids are trying to get to the money.  High school ball is different well it use to be different. Most kids realize this is probably their last chance to be a part of a sports team. Hopefully they are playing for their teammates, their school and lastly for themselves. In that order.

I found a program from my senior year in a box in the basement. I don't think there are a handful of advertisors from that program still in business. Some we thought would be there forever. I'm afraid a lot of society is heading in that direction, including sports.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, btango said:

Problem is colleges are getting the money now but will it cost them more in the long run.  High school football struggles in a lot of areas and it will struggle more in the future.  If there was only club football I think a lot of college programs would suffer may be not the elite but the smaller ones.

Frankly, HS football has bigger issues than college football on Friday nights. 

1 hour ago, Wrigley said:

Frankly, HS football has bigger issues than college football on Friday nights. 

Yes, there are definitely bigger issues. I have no doubt this is a contributing factor though. It definitely won’t help revenue.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ConnerP said:

Yes, there are definitely bigger issues. I have no doubt this is a contributing factor though. It definitely won’t help revenue.

Last Friday night with no local college playing there may have been 75 people in the stands on the Rocky River side. Last Night ( it was a 6:00 start on a Monday) there was 35 people on the Middlecreek side....yup, I counted them. 

As a habit I count the # of kids dressed out in every HS football game I have been to for 20 years. It used to be rare I would be less than 50. Now it is a rarity. Butler and Rocky River are in an area that was an absolute hotbed for football players 20 -25 years ago. Neither team dressed over 40 kids.

I read that Vance is now looking for 2 JV games this month. One was for the West Charlotte game...............I assume the reason they are looking for a game is because West Charlotte no longer has a JV team. Hard to imagine that 20 years ago.

HS football certainly didnt need any extra issues but the sport is slowly dying.........Its just reality. 

• Sad 1

College FB teams need to be a part of the solution instead of being a part of the problem. If they continue to play Thursday and Friday night games it will continue to hurt HS FB. This will in turn hurt them.If they can't see that them I feel sorry for them. less kids playing will mean less kids for them to recruit. Right now they are cutting their nose off to spite their face. At EG we are fortunate in that we still have over 80 kids in our program after starting out with over 100 (we had 16 players who decided that FB was not for them so they dropped out). We are in a down year (because of several factors) but our kids are still there working hard each day trying to get better. Many other schools are not as fortunate.

• Like 1

I really can't imagine this having a huge effect on HS football. People barely go to Wake and UNC games on Saturdays. I know UNC is hot right now, and even if it's a full house, this game time was decided a while ago. 

I can honestly say that since the colleges started playing on Thur. night our attendance started dropping on that JV night. Then  when they started playing on Fri. nights our Varsity crowd started dropping. I have no idea if the two are related or if it is simply a coincidence. The fact is nationwide this has been the trend. The states where FB is king (TX, FL, CA, GA) this is also true.

It hurts high school. Not so much in metro areas as they are barren grounds for fan support. As I have stated before 64.9 percent of kids go on to college. If anything they follow a college team and don’t give a hoot about their former high schools athletics anymore. Same with the parents. I’m with Wrigley on the saturation of the sport on TV. Colleges are playing on more than Saturday’s to get the broadcast money. They are all chasing the money. Frankly college football is too expensive to operate and the coaches are making as much as an entire team budget. Somehow they have to keep up and that means chasing broadcast money however it gets distributed including going to one of the 35 or so bowl games. When I was young there were 8 bowl games.

I don’t watch pro sports of any kind. Many reasons for that. I gave up on college basketball when kids took off to pros after one year. I think they should be able to but it killed my interest forever. I do watch college football. I like high school football more but now that kids and coaches are jumping around to schools I find myself seeing them as quitters in search of an easy out. I watch a high school game almost every week. The stadium crowds are dwindling in the last decade. It’s rapid.

I remember a story a few years back. The state individual wrestling tournament in Greensboro was Friday thru Sunday. A couple ACC colleges scheduled a match during the time frame of the finals and consolation matches. Usually college coaches would make an appearance at the championships and it was expected to support a sport in crisis. Colleges were dropping the sport to further fund other sports. Even the Olympics announced wrestling would be eliminated. Can you imagine the oldest sport being dropped and badminton surviving?

The high school coaches blasted the coaches for the scheduling and non appearance even before the match or states. All across social media the coaches took a beating. They even called the colleges I’m told. It was a reflection of how these northern region hired college coaches felt about North Carolina wrestling kids. They rarely recruited NC kids. Didn’t feel the need to support NC wrestling. Don’t think this scheduling happened again. The moral of the story is if you don’t like it do something about it. Tell Mack Brown we don’t appreciate him capitalizing on a time slot for money at the expense of his feeder program. Or sit back and complain while the sport shrinks into a girls softball crowd. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1