Stick82

South Point Red Raiders

Rate this topic

We are struggling right now. We're very young and it shows. Our lack of ability on the o line to create holes is excellent at this point in the season. Now having said that I'll say this, we will get better. We will not quit and we will play hard every game. We have a young staff that needs some encouragement right now, but we're gonna keep fighting because that's what Red Raider football is all about!

• Like 2

Man, before it is all said and done, I still expect South Point to be a second round team (at least), and get better each week.  By no means would I give up on this team, too much pride, and too well coached. 

We have a lot of fair weather fans that don't understand the ins and outs of the game and expect us to win every game. That's not realistic for us this year and I know that and I'm ok with that, we have 12 seniors on the team..... We're young. It bothers me to hear so many saying we need to abandon our offense and do this and that, but statistically year in and year out we have one of the best rushing attacks in the state! I'm just venting a little. We'll get it right hear real soon!

3 minutes ago, Stick82 said:

we have 12 seniors on the team.....

That spells trouble for teams in the next year or so, this means that the upcoming years should be really strong with a bunch of experienced players ready to take the lead and do big-time things. 

6 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

That spells trouble for teams in the next year or so, this means that the upcoming years should be really strong with a bunch of experienced players ready to take the lead and do big-time things. 

If you think I'm kidding, look back at your own history.  I remember 2003 being one of the best South Point teams ever, but the 2001 season was a young team that couldn't get out of its own way at times, but those boys grew into a dominant powerhouse team.  The same thing happened in 2010, when they struggled for a 9-4 record before going on an incredible three-year stint when Mickey Lineberger took over.

I remember back in 1996, Kannapolis was terrible, they only went 6-5 with a bunch of young players but were nasty good in winning the 1997 title. Same thing happened in 1988, they were down to their standards, missed the playoffs with an 8-2 record before dominating the state the following year with the 1989 3A title.

The year before Independence started their 7-year championship run in 2000, they were 5-5 in 1999, albeit with some talented, but inexperienced players.  

My point is don't get too down on a young team, because young teams become veteran ones in no time.

• Like 1

2003 was the best team we've ever had at Sp. You're correct, they don't stay freshman and sophomore forever! We're going to be fine, I'm just tired of hearing our own fans bash out coaches. We have a great staff and they'll get things right!

4 minutes ago, Stick82 said:

I'm just tired of hearing our own fans bash out coaches. We have a great staff and they'll get things right!

Send them on over to me, I'll talk some sense into them.  People just need to put high school football into its proper perspective and remember that they're still just young boys out there, and not the grown men we see on Sunday's, and that our coaches at this level are just husbands and fathers who give up family time to lead these young boys, all while making practically no extra money.  

• Like 3

Hibriten is in the same boat this year,,  athletes are there, just dont seem to have it figured out yet.  I fully expect for them to be a lot better team by years end... Hopefully 2nd or third round this year!!  Just wish our community would stand behind a struggling team as much as they do a winning team..  Unfortunate to hear so many negative comments around after loosing first game of the season.  

• Like 2

It’s sad too because some fans seem to forget that these are young boys. They don’t need the stress of the world placed on their shoulders, just enjoy watching them play and giving it their all. 

• Like 2

I am surprised just how many teams are "down" this year... It seems in 2A west its just Shelby and Burns,, top dogs,, and then everyone else..  I am sure cream will rise to the top by late november,,  just right now seems like a lot of average teams out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HIBRITEN92 said:

I am surprised just how many teams are "down" this year... It seems in 2A west its just Shelby and Burns,, top dogs,, and then everyone else..  I am sure cream will rise to the top by late november,,  just right now seems like a lot of average teams out there.

Hibriten is by no means down. Are they as good as the two prior years? No. I don’t consider that down. You guys went to the spread. Should have stayed the course. The talent is there. The size is there. Shelby is Shelby. Unless you have 102 kids out for football every year any other program will have problems keeping up. Football is still overwhelmingly the king in Cleveland County. There’s nothing else to do in Cleveland County but fart and pick your nose. Well, and love on your sister.

Hibriten has not changed the offense... Just have some spread and shotgun stuff in there..  Speed seems to be biggest difference right now,, take witherspoon out,,,and still team speed is down. I think the speed is there, they just down run downhill like the last group did.. The qb is by far the biggest offensive threat right now, but i think there are some kids that can change that when they learn there roles. The offensive line is big... and they need to get better,, their footwork is not very good watching them,, when that gets better,, the running game will as well.... Mackey is a good coach and seems to be a great leader he sits them when they are wrong,,, awards them when they are right...Friday night will be a lot better game than some might think!!

• Like 1

Enough about hibriten,,,  STICK gets yalls sh!t together and beat shelby 2 times,,, regular season and secnd round!!  Pulling for ya,,, only dislike south point once a year and even that one time a year is not that bad...

• Like 1

Stick you may have been talking about my post following the Clover game. I'm not about to try to tell anybody what we should or shouldn't do. Again I just don't understand using Ray 60% - 70% of the time as a decoy. Shazam a decoy.

18 minutes ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Stick you may have been talking about my post following the Clover game. I'm not about to try to tell anybody what we should or shouldn't do. Again I just don't understand using Ray 60% - 70% of the time as a decoy. Shazam a decoy.

I agree on Ray Grier. If you only throw 4 times or less why not put him at wing. The kid is usually the most talented skill player on the field.

The issue I have with Grier and his use is not even his touches or lack thereof..... Its the fact the he alternates snaps with another WR running in plays. Too many 3rd down plays and he isnt even on the field simply because of rotation. The decoy is valuable at that point. If its 3rd and long and he's on the field there is at least a possibility that the best player on the field touches the ball.

The problem with that is he plays both ways. He's got to get a break sometime. Regardless, I'm a SP fan. I'll be there the majority of games every year win or lose. I'll always have my thoughts on what and how but I'm going to support the coaching staff. After all they are the ones putting in the blood, sweat and tears. 

On 9/9/2019 at 5:46 PM, SPRaiders78 said:

I wasn't talking about anyone on this board, just the knuckleheads at the game!

For those of you who were at the Clover game, when we'd the last time you saw that many people at a home game? I sure wish the team could get that kind of turnout on a weekly basis. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Only down 13 at the half. The way it started I was afraid it was going to be a lot worse. The last drive the offense looked a lot better.

#22 Gange out, broken clavical.

It's still early in the season anything can happen. 

It's been a rough couple of weeks for sure. 

Simply said, SP is not a good football team right now.  You can blame it on injuries but it is far more than that.  I have been to practically every game for years and I have never seen a SP team like this.  I put the blame on the coaches and their "library classroom" approach on the sidelines.  No motivation at all for the players.  Just walk off the field, sit down and start watching IPADs.  Nobody's taking the reigns to motivate and coach these kids, they just all sit there and watch those stupid IPADS as if there is not even a game being played on the field.  It is just pathetic to see the game of football being treated this way.  If this is the new norm,  you can bet that SP has seen its best days of football.  Hell, they may not even field a team within 10 years at the rate of this decay.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedRaider73 said:

Simply said, SP is not a good football team right now.  You can blame it on injuries but it is far more than that.  I have been to practically every game for years and I have never seen a SP team like this.  I put the blame on the coaches and their "library classroom" approach on the sidelines.  No motivation at all for the players.  Just walk off the field, sit down and start watching IPADs.  Nobody's taking the reigns to motivate and coach these kids, they just all sit there and watch those stupid IPADS as if there is not even a game being played on the field.  It is just pathetic to see the game of football being treated this way.  If this is the new norm,  you can bet that SP has seen its best days of football.  Hell, they may not even field a team within 10 years at the rate of this decay.

Well... Nvm lol. 

I hope everything works out.  They gotta beat SC and EG! 

Unless major changes are made, maybe we can get a win over EG and possibly one other.  Beyond that, I don't see a win on the horizon.  Again, anything can happen but unless some big adjustments are made, it ain't gonna happen.  The main issue I can see is the lack of motivation coaching style.  These guys act like they are librarians, not coaches.

9 minutes ago, Cagle89 said:

Coach Hodge will get them on the right track.  

He better stick a foot in some assistants' butts or get some new ones.  This style of coaching will never cut it on a high school level.  These are not multi million dollar primadona pro players.

31 minutes ago, RedRaider73 said:

Unless major changes are made, maybe we can get a win over EG and possibly one other.  Beyond that, I don't see a win on the horizon.  Again, anything can happen but unless some big adjustments are made, it ain't gonna happen.  The main issue I can see is the lack of motivation coaching style.  These guys act like they are librarians, not coaches.

EG is likely still a win. We don't have athletes, but we are improving little by little. Fundamentally, we are much better.

1 minute ago, EGFAN75 said:

EG is likely still a win. We don't have athletes, but we are improving little by little. Fundamentally, we are much better.

Oh, I don't think EG is a guaranteed win for SP at all.  If EG can come in motivated and SP plays like they did tonight, EG can definitely win the game.  Forestview flat wore out SP tonight on all levels of the game.

• Like 1

Tate came back.  I've also seen Shepherd on the sideline this season. SP is young.  SP is smaller than usual.  Other than the playoff game last year against Shelby, I can't remember the last time we gave up 40 points.  Oh well, once a Raider always a Raider. I'll be there next Friday night, pullin for them like I always do.

• Like 1

This will not be a turn around season like the past for South Point. I missed my usual early season look at SP but they don’t have the coaching staff anymore to put the right people in the right positions on the field. Mickey Lineberger and Devine didn’t let their pride get in the way of winning. 

Offense is too simple not to get the right guys behind the line. South Point has always been able to pound teams with sustained drives which kept the defense a bit fresher. Blame injuries if you want but it’s the coaches responsibility to put a tough guy in the backfield in the Redbone offense.

5 hours ago, EGFAN75 said:

You can say what you want, but SP is beginning to see the impact of all those veteran coaches retiring.

After losing the way they did last night I'm in agreement with this statement!