Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Blue&Gray

East Surry 1AA looks to be scary good

Rate this topic

No question that this is by far the best East Surry team in their history, and the game against Reidsville will be very telling about just how good the Cardinals are.  I personally think that they'll give the Rams all they can handle, but I'm not sure that I'd be ready to call for the upset just yet, but who knows!  I still feel that they are behind Tarboro, but I'm certain that they've closed the gap from last year's 50-10 loss to the Vikings in the 1AA state finals. 

• Like 1

Tarboro 48 East Surry 14 2019 1AA Finals.....the gap may close a little...but Tarboro is a machine that could win all the way to 3A. Naysayers pile on. It's the truth. East Surry will fall victim to what West Montgomery did when they played WRH and Tarboro..... Big fish in a little bitty tiny pond. 1AA West is by far the weakest division to ever exist in modern football history. You have only two or three legitimate contenders and everybody else year in and year out. And yes, I'm counting the years West Montgomery went to State and Western Finals. Everyone knew that there would only be one or two games that would really be a challenge. And if everyone looks at it from an unbiased perspective it's obvious. East Surry has a cake walk to State. Mt. Airy, Swain, Murphy all will be adjusting ADMs to make sure they can compete in the JV 1A so they don't have to face them in the playoffs. Watch and see. 

• Haha 4

Tarboro cannot compete in 3a unless is a low ranked team like rocky mount,don't be kidding yourself ,I've seen them play ,they are tough in 1 a ,but out have no clue what your talking about ,I think the question may be can Tarboro beat East Surry this year .

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Redbirdfan30 said:

Tarboro cannot compete in 3a unless is a low ranked team like rocky mount,don't be kidding yourself ,I've seen them play ,they are tough in 1 a ,but out have no clue what your talking about ,I think the question may be can Tarboro beat East Surry this year .

Don't kid yourself with that thought.  I 100% agree that Tarboro could compete against many 4A teams.  They are not your typical 1A program, they generally have 90+ kids and the coaching staff is very good, very experienced, and have been together for years.  There are at least two assistants on the staff that should be head coaches in the state, but choose to stay with Jeff Craddock because of the culture he's created there. 

Now to you statement about a low-ranked Rocky Mount.  Are you kidding me?  You obviously have no clue about what you just said.  Rocky Mount just a few short years ago was in back-to-back state title games, and won one of them, and they are absolutely loaded this year.  Go do some research before you make a statement like that, because it only makes you look very uninformed, and fanatical. 

I don't think I'd be calling for a 35-point win for Tarboro, because like I did say, I know East has closed the gap, but just how much they've closed it remains the question.  If I were the Vegas oddsmakers, I would probably set the line today at about 11 points for Tarboro. 

• Like 3

Ignore this guy Chris...he destroyed the other site and had four or five threads locked in a single day. Please don't let him come on here and do the same to this one. You are correct with them in 4A...the fact he said "low ranked team like Rocky Mount..." should warrant a ban for lack of knowledge on high school football in NC. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, WM1977 said:

Tarboro 48 East Surry 14 2019 1AA Finals.....the gap may close a little...but Tarboro is a machine that could win all the way to 3A. Naysayers pile on. It's the truth. East Surry will fall victim to what West Montgomery did when they played WRH and Tarboro..... Big fish in a little bitty tiny pond. 1AA West is by far the weakest division to ever exist in modern football history. You have only two or three legitimate contenders and everybody else year in and year out. And yes, I'm counting the years West Montgomery went to State and Western Finals. Everyone knew that there would only be one or two games that would really be a challenge. And if everyone looks at it from an unbiased perspective it's obvious. East Surry has a cake walk to State. Mt. Airy, Swain, Murphy all will be adjusting ADMs to make sure they can compete in the JV 1A so they don't have to face them in the playoffs. Watch and see. 

We may not be at the level we were in 2011- 2014 but you know damn well we ain’t running away or trying to get out of any game or classification. I can’t speak for any other teams you mentioned but Swain never has played that admissions game. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BigDevil79 said:

We may not be at the level we were in 2011- 2014 but you know damn well we ain’t running away or trying to get out of any game or classification. I can’t speak for any other teams you mentioned but Swain never has played that admissions game. 

I agree 200% in that statement.  Neil Blankenship is a man of character, and his school does everything within the rules.  Him being on the NCHSAA board of directors further solidifies that statement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WM1977 said:

If you swap Swain for Mitchell you will be correct, Swain has always played where they belong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rville20 said:

If you swap Swain for Mitchell you will be correct, Swain has always played where they belong. 

Very intelligent post. FYI, our numbers have been dropping every year and they are so low now we are going to one middle school for the whole county. Your excuses about Mitchell and Murphy are getting old. See you in Ledger, cause you’re gonna have to travel if you make it that far. 

• Like 3

My bad on Swain. I know that several teams play the numbers game and was mistaken with Swain. I'll admit when I'm wrong. Too bad many won't admit when it's the truth! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Bonecollector said:

Very intelligent post. FYI, our numbers have been dropping every year and they are so low now we are going to one middle school for the whole county. Your excuses about Mitchell and Murphy are getting old. See you in Ledger, cause you’re gonna have to travel if you make it that far. 

Psst…… It's no longer a secret, you all can stop with the poor me stuff, everybody knows how the EC and Alternative school numbers game works. Why not gust own it .  

Why won't you admit they are not students at Mitchell, Murphy, or Tarboro for that matter.  Heck, add in Avery and Mt. Heritage as well as they have kids at the same EC as Mitchell. The school isn't even in Mitchell County. I know where they live but it would be no different than Robbinsville having to count the kids there that are home schooled. They are not Robbinsville students.Yes, I know it wouldn't make a difference in your classification. But I truly believe if what I'm hearing is true you will be VERY happy come playoff time as Mitchell's numbers are up this year. Not sure it would matter though, I think I'm one of the few that isn't sure what Mitchell has at this point. Just not crisp yet. Its early but they have to get better. 

I could be very wrong but I have never heard of any child being asked to go to the EC to reduce numbers. Trust me I know your argument all to well. This will be my one and only post on this subject in this thread. So go ahead and tell me how wrong I am. This argument has gone on for years and years. No doubt it will continue but it will without me. I will just continue to watch, enjoy, and support the kids from not only Mitchell but all schools. While high school athletics are a great asset to the kids with the life lessons they learn, in my opinion fans( me included at times)can place way to much emphasis on them.

Have a wonderful season and good luck. If the two teams do have the chance to play, look me up and I will buy you a Pepsi and we will talk sports, just not enrollment numbers.

Back to the topic. YES, ES looks to be excellent this season and is the favorite in the west.

Go Mountaineers 

• Like 2

If they can win in 4a set up a game with Mallard Creek or East Forsyth ,lol that's going a little far thinking they compete in 3 or 4 a ,they will not beat Reidsville or Shelby ,they will compete about the same as east will .

No one expects East to win at Reidsville this year either ,and no one around here thinks East competes in 3 a.North Surry coach said in mt airy news ,quote he had only seen 2 teams that dominant as long as he had coached .one being state champ high point central 99 I think ,and the other this east Surry team ,and no one around here remotely thinks they compete 3a .

I think East Surry can play with a large handful of 3A teams, especially on a one-off non conference deal. Where they would struggle would be going against them every week. Then the numbers, lack of depth, and injuries would add up. 

Tarboro is on pace to 3peat as state champions...The VIKINGS just reload year after year. They added Tobias Joyner(Soph) to the backfield and he should break all his brother's rushing records...KImani McDaniels is back at QB and he's a blurr(coming off state championships in track-100m & 200m). TARBORO is clicking early in the season and that could be dangerous when they reach the playoffs. Somebody made a statement if TARBORO could beat E. Surry this season, after putting up 51 points against them in last years state title game the question is can E. Surry beat TARBORO and if their best effort is only  10 points I'm afraid that just won't be enough. TARBORO beat 3A Rocky Mount 6-0(weather stoppage) 2A Washington 47-0 and 3A Northern Nash 52-6....Those are not cupcake teams TARBORO just make them look that bad....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nobody. I mean NOBODY...in 1A is within 35 - 40 points of Tarboro. Trust me. I listened to the good folks West of Montgomery County for years talking about how "Mountain Football" was the great equalizer. Well....West Montgomery won more against those Mountain teams than they lost. And when it came to the State Championship we came home with the "L." WRH was/is the real deal. Would love to see that match-up. As far as my friends from the mountains....temper your expectations for your own sanity. Whoever comes from the West to face Tarboro will not go home happy. It will be a blowout. Sorry...but the truth is the truth. If you couldn't keep up with the speed from West Montgomery you have NO chance at the speed down east. 

The day I take WMs opinion at face value is the day football ceases to exist. Lmao. This guy is a concern troll. Nothing more nothing less. He provides no value other than “that one time WM got embarrassed in the state championship”. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sounds like he's not happy west got slapped ,speak for your own team ,East will not be blown out like that again ,your just a fool making opinions u know nothing about,Tarboro is a great team ,but remember these are high school kids ,East is a much better team than last season ,and I remind you west Montgomery is no East Surry friend ,maybe close to teams past that east has had ,but not this season .Sick of hearing the nay Sayers ,plenty of anti East fans around lol,but who cares Cards are just making your opinions look stupid week after week .

Tarboro ,Reidsville ,East ,all will beat teams by 30 or 40 ,but not each other this year.Tarboro is still atop the hill until East or another takes them down,if they meet and Either team wins it ,it will be by one or two tds.

Man, if I'm an East Surry fan, I'd just enjoy the ride, and be very appreciative of this time in your programs history, and slow down to relish in the success and milestones that these boys are accomplishing for the school and community.  Trust me, the best of the best programs all go through slumps, even Richmond, Tarboro, Shelby, Reidsville, etc., have all had some down years, and only Kannapolis, over the last third of a century has failed to post a losing record.  

We can all sit here as grown men and debate who's best, but don't lost sight of the fact that these are 15-18 year-old boys out there giving it their all, and coaches who get paid nearly nothing giving up their family time to guide them along their way.  

Runs like the one that East is one don't come around often, and even West Montgomery fans can attest that championship runs can end, almost on the drop of a dime with even the slightest changes in either talent, enrollment, or coaching. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WM1977 said:

If you couldn't keep up with the speed from West Montgomery you have NO chance at the speed down east. 

Tarboro is the real deal and king of the mountain in 1A/1AA right now and I doubt Murphy could compete with them this year, 'Dogs are young. So what I'm about to say has nothing to do with me thinking Murphy could seriously challenge Tarboro this season.

Murphy kept pace with prime Albemarle and Wallace Rose Hill fine. Both had more speed than West Montgomery. West played and beat one of the weakest Murphy teams of the last 20 years. West never had to play a prime Murphy team.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SMC Observer said:

Tarboro is the real deal and king of the mountain in 1A/1AA right now and I doubt Murphy could compete with them this year, 'Dogs are young. So what I'm about to say has nothing to do with me thinking Murphy could seriously challenge Tarboro this season.

Murphy kept pace with prime Albemarle and Wallace Rose Hill fine. Both had more speed than West Montgomery. West played and beat one of the weakest Murphy teams of the last 20 years. West never had to play a prime Murphy team.

WM has two D1 Running Backs, according to him. Yet, thus far I am unable to find them in any recruiting database or any excerpt cataloging any D1 offers they may hold. Yikes. 

1 hour ago, Chris Hughes said:

Man, if I'm an East Surry fan, I'd just enjoy the ride, and be very appreciative of this time in your programs history, and slow down to relish in the success and milestones that these boys are accomplishing for the school and community.  Trust me, the best of the best programs all go through slumps, even Richmond, Tarboro, Shelby, Reidsville, etc., have all had some down years, and only Kannapolis, over the last third of a century has failed to post a losing record.  

We can all sit here as grown men and debate who's best, but don't lost sight of the fact that these are 15-18 year-old boys out there giving it their all, and coaches who get paid nearly nothing giving up their family time to guide them along their way.  

Runs like the one that East is one don't come around often, and even West Montgomery fans can attest that championship runs can end, almost on the drop of a dime with even the slightest changes in either talent, enrollment, or coaching. 

Chris Reidsville's last losing season was 1988 when they finished 4-6...………...they've only had 15 since 1910...……………...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SMC Observer said:

Yeah..but that one time when we lost to another team our team wasn't as good "that" season.....blah blah blah....pretty much you made my point. West Montgomery also kept up with WRH in 2007 losing  on a controversial TD call in the end zone that would have won the game. So pretty sure they "kept" up with them in that game. And I've seen the scores from Murphy etc... you never "kept" up with the speed at all. 

4 hours ago, WM1977 said:

Yeah..but that one time when we lost to another team our team wasn't as good "that" season.....blah blah blah....pretty much you made my point. West Montgomery also kept up with WRH in 2007 losing  on a controversial TD call in the end zone that would have won the game. So pretty sure they "kept" up with them in that game. And I've seen the scores from Murphy etc... you never "kept" up with the speed at all. 

That was James Kenan in 2007 not Wallace Rose Hills.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/7/2019 at 8:37 PM, rville20 said:

Psst…… It's no longer a secret, you all can stop with the poor me stuff, everybody knows how the EC and Alternative school numbers game works. Why not gust own it .  

I'll own it. I work at the Mayland Early College. They have 42 students from Mitchell, Avery and Yancey counties. 8 of those come from Mitchell county. The school board forced those 8 students into getting their associates degree at the same time as their high school diploma. They forced them into an environment that is more comfortable to them than Mitchell high school. Why did they do this? Just to piss off some really, really stupid fans from Robbinsville. It's a conspiracy, and the ultimate troll to boot.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mr.Blue&Gray said:

That was James Kenan in 2007 not Wallace Rose Hills.

I stand corrected....I get confused about which team from the East sent us home as runner ups!!! It's not exactly the feeling I relish but it is in the same breathe the feeling I relish. Knowing you were at least in the game and had a chance is more than all but one other team in the division had. Until there is a massive overhaul at the NCHSAA it's going to continue to get ugly. Renegade programs, nothing resembling structure etc..... there has to be rules that are followed by everyone. But, considering where the NCHSAA is located can you really expect anything less? The center of cheating and bending the rules resides right across the street. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What’s ole Trent Lowman running on offense up in that nice little stadium. Man I loved the two times I’ve been to East Surry. Those people are the pillar of the earth. Cheerleaders lined up and welcomed the visitors into the stadium. That’s some class baby. Even had fans congratulate me while I was wearing a Newton shirt one year. 

7 minutes ago, kms51 said:

I know lowmans dad will be helping him Reidsville week. 

Maybe. He’s in a band that is pretty good and has a lot of gigs. Guys a good musician. Ole dad had two great teams that met Reidsville for championships and came up short. Randy Lowman was a great coach for Bandys High.

1 hour ago, GDG said:

Maybe. He’s in a band that is pretty good and has a lot of gigs. Guys a good musician. Ole dad had two great teams that met Reidsville for championships and came up short. Randy Lowman was a great coach for Bandys High.

That’s why I figured he’d probably have some tips. This reidsville team is similar to the ones he coached against 

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:22 PM, WM1977 said:

My bad on Swain. I know that several teams play the numbers game and was mistaken with Swain. I'll admit when I'm wrong. Too bad many won't admit when it's the truth! 

This "numbers game" crap is getting really old. No one is shuffling students around after school starts to meet any kind of NCHSAA ADM guidelines on where they might to play. If you can put paper proof in my hand this is happening then i'll back up and say I'm wrong. Otherwise, talk about football.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4